University Of Metaphysical Sciences
University Of Metaphysical Sciences ->  General Public -> Metaphysics Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sacred Texts
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Public -> Metaphysics DiscussionMessage format

Paul Joseph
Posted 11/2/2008 4:24 PM (#11972 - in reply to #11971)
Subject: RE: Sacred Texts

PhD Alumni

Wise words as ever Louise

I would only slightly play more with, 'intention' or, the idea that the wish to convey Divity is ipso facto sacred, 'cos for me the indications are that we must first aspire to purity of heart, or even, purity of self - since without that, our intention or our wish could become distorted, as in, eg, the Holy Inquisition that burnt the bodies of heretics because the intention was to send their souls more quickly for 'God's' 'judgement'.

Sanctity for me, embodies humility. Hence my interest in the Via Negativa. The emptiness of self, the fullness of Self.

The handing down through generations is exactly the thread in The Path of the King and also, the Road the King of Erin goes, interestingly ...

Love you lots

Edited by Paul Joseph 11/2/2008 4:28 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Louise
Posted 11/2/2008 4:43 PM (#11976 - in reply to #10314)

UMS Student

hmm, yes a very interesting question indeed...

So does this come down to our perception of what is healing and what is not, and the original question of what is sacred and what is not? If my soul has the intent to grow and evolve and believes that my intention to liberate myself and/or others, in the eyes of others causes persecution, have I still not achieved soul growth? I am playing with ideas here...How do we judge good or bad holy intent?

A Course In Miracles has been condemned by some as the work of an anti-christ and is not sacred. Is my intent to heal through the words of ACIM, a persecution in the eyes of others? In my work as a numerologist, in an intent to heal, a work of illusion and magic in the eyes of others?

Perhaps at a deeper level we are all healing through the journey of soul growth, regardless of whether our actions in human perception are good or evil. Can we begin to rationally answer the question of what is sacred or holy? Is it a group or majority consensus that achieves what is sacred? Is the Bible sacred (or any other Holy Book) or is it the numbers of people that believe it is that make it so? Our individual soul perception may define different things as sacred - one mans trash being another mans treasure...

Hmm..this has got the brain cells going for sure! I have no fixed views! Welcome your thoughts as always...
instinctual
Posted 11/2/2008 5:27 PM (#11978 - in reply to #10314)

PhD Alumni

Yes indeedy, Lovely Weezie...one can approach from many different angles for sure. It sort of leads to a child like question ( mind you, a distinct difference between the

former... and 'childish' which can be a completely different thread- and as per my previous post about the genuine wonder of children ) Who makes it so? If an

archeologist, for example, discovers an ancient tomb, through a scientific process it is declared as significant. Why? If I litter and toss the cap of a bottle into my back

yard and it is exhumed in 1000 years, will a bunch of scientific types declare a deep seeded and massive judgement about me...or will they deem me simply as a soda

drinking slob, when that is what it should really boil down to?

My husband is a scientist. I am like, so not. You should be a fly on the wall after a few glasses of wine at the dinner table. Ha Ha Ha!!! Am I showing blatent ignorance

here?

Perhaps! But that is ok too. This may also boil down to, very basically a secular versus a non-secular education and or point of view.
Louise
Posted 11/2/2008 6:31 PM (#11981 - in reply to #10314)

UMS Student

Hey Lori - I don't think you are being ignorant at all - I feel there is a lot of wisdom through your words. Having read through I don't believe this is an intellectual debate (well it could be but I don't think an answer lies there). I believe that we are being reminded that our entire world and everything in it is pure perception. Every physical thing is a creation with varying intents behind them - does it matter whether the ones I find sacred are different to yours? Perhaps the only thing that is sacred is our coming together to explore the nature of what is sacred.

Hail Soda Bottle Tops!!! Glory to the Soda Manufacturer )

Is our union more or less sacred because others may perceive that our discussion is either wise or ignorant? I think not!

xx

Please note that this post does not condone the use of soda in ones attempt to reach enlightenment. Please do so at your own risk )
Must go, clearly in a silly distracted mood and have some very important wisdom to impart in ones writings...farewell until next time.

Edited by Louise 11/2/2008 6:34 PM
Paul Joseph
Posted 11/3/2008 4:22 AM (#11986 - in reply to #11981)

PhD Alumni

Certainly I don't think this is a 'mere' intellectual debate - I fel it is critical to the spiritual journey ... I am reminded again of Jesus', 'Be ye as little children'. I also think ACIM is great - certainly not the work of the Anti-Christ (!)

Kierkegaard wrote a whole book, on "Purity of heart is to will one thing" ... Lori & Louise I think what you both said is spot on too ..

there is that Hopi sayin I remembered after posting last time, "With right intention, anything is possible" ... it is discovering what that is, where some of the Work is involved perhaps ! The Beatles's last word:

"All you need is Love"

(ah me, but then, what is Love ...? Another thread perhaps ! ha ha ..x x)
Paul Joseph
Posted 11/3/2008 6:09 AM (#11989 - in reply to #11986)

PhD Alumni

Reading your post again Louise, loved the last line, about coming together in the search for the sacred being what is sacred

& Lori, I embrace my ignorance in the foolishness of God/Good/the Source/the Higher Power !

Interesting, perhaps, after posting the above came upon Psalm 131 from the Old Testament:

Psalm 131
A song of ascents. Of David.
1 My heart is not proud, O LORD,
my eyes are not haughty;
I do not concern myself with great matters
or things too wonderful for me.
2 But I have stilled and quieted my soul;
like a weaned child with its mother,
like a weaned child is my soul within me.

3 O Israel, put your hope in the LORD
both now and forevermore.

Edited by Paul Joseph 11/3/2008 6:13 AM
Paul Joseph
Posted 11/3/2008 7:06 AM (#11991 - in reply to #11989)

PhD Alumni

Holy soda bottle tops too Lori ....

Louise - for your walks on the beach ... are you familiar with this track ... not sure how sacred it is, but ..

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6X0FjlybCqs

I guess we are all, each of us, sacred texts in the Book of Life ....

all songs, waiting to be sung, learned off by heart, remembered fondly, reincarnated with each dream ...

and I too have this sense that the joint enterprise of collaborating on this Board/Site contributes to universal sacred healing

... as I am typing my mind associated to this other great track by Nick Drake (heard of him?), which also has in it a reference to finding 'shores' ... love Nick Drake; he appears to be have been a very troubled soul

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=t5HsQsmJsRY

..and after posting the above about seas and seashores, etc , Hallowe'en's Poem of the Day ... serendipity indeed lives, remarkably so .... :

Ocean Oneness

Posted: 31 Oct 2008 04:14 PM CDT

Silence is round me, wideness ineffable;
White birds on the ocean diving and wandering;
A soundless sea on a voiceless heaven,
Azure on azure, is mutely gazing.

Identified with silence and boundlessness
My spirit widens clasping the universe
Till all that seemed becomes the Real,
One in a mighty and single vastness.

Someone broods there nameless and bodiless,
Conscious and lonely, deathless and infinite,
And, sole in a still eternal rapture,
Gathers all things to his heart for ever.

By: Sri Aurobindo

from Poem of the Day

Edited by Paul Joseph 11/3/2008 7:34 AM
instinctual
Posted 11/3/2008 10:10 AM (#11995 - in reply to #10314)

PhD Alumni

Wow, this thread is totally threading, man! haha! I love it and love you all.

I don't drink soda, coincidentally. Made me realize that! Coffee, water and wine. How boring! If I threw a wine cork into my yard and it was exhumed in a thousand years, would "they (whoever the hell 'they' are) determine that I was a drunk, or would they determine that in 2008 a species or tribe of people lived in northeast Tucson who were litterers? Or drunken litterers? Would it be hailed that wine corks created the beautiful gardens? Would they even give credit to the coffee grinds in the mulch?

Sometimes I like being ignorant....is it blissful? Perhaps. It definitely indicates an acknowledgement of the state of "not knowing". And for that I embrace my ignorance. Life is so much more peaceful when you don't put yourself in a postion where you have to be an expert. Ugh!

Louise, you run deeply beautiful and beautiful deep. I love your disclaimer! Soda drinking may not help light your way to enlightment, but it will sure expidite your path to the dentist! xx ! Paulo, well..what can I say...your paw is always warm and outreaching.

Love,
Loribaby
;)

Edited by instinctual 11/3/2008 10:16 AM
Paul Joseph
Posted 11/3/2008 3:30 PM (#12021 - in reply to #11995)

PhD Alumni

You too are lovely , holy Loribaby ... I must just say this, and I had no intention of this when I first mentioned Buchan's, The Path of the King - and I am sorry to go on about it ! - but it did occur to me tonight to say, as i was watching your election shennanigans (?!) ... that Buchan's small book that encompasses 1,000 years of fictional destiny concludes with Abraham Lincoln finding his (destiny)
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2016 PD9 Software