University Of Metaphysical Sciences
University Of Metaphysical Sciences ->  General Public -> Questions About UMS -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A few questions about the course...
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Public -> Questions About UMSMessage format

Real Dreamer
Posted 9/12/2008 8:31 PM (#10196)
Subject: A few questions about the course...

New user

Hello all,

Hope life is bringing all of you much love and light!

I reside in Canada and I wondered if anyone knows if the program credentials are recognized here...
Also, curious about how many courses you will get a month if in the long term payment plan....

Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
mruppert
Posted 9/12/2008 10:13 PM (#10197 - in reply to #10196)
Subject: RE: A few questions about the course...

Hello Melreal Dreamanlie:

You might want to be more specific as to "recognized here"? What is it you are hoping, intending, dreaming of doing? A degree from my school and a degree from UMS are recognized all over the world; but the venues are very different. And, each may be inappropriate before certain audiences.

I get degrees for free at my school, yet I am an enrolled student at UMS, I guess it is because I find a course in Meditation (and I am a lousy meditator) of more value than a course in "Advanced Project Management in a Global Economic Environment".

You will be getting quite a few responses, I hope! Each of us will have different, like, or same themes. But, know that I am not doing this to be recognized by anyone, and I may never make an economic use of what I learn. I am doing it for ME! I am doing it to finally find myself, after many years of searching....constantly lost and not knowing which way to turn. Anything that comes after is, indeed, a blessing!!!!!!!!

Peace and Love,

Marty and Cats-at-Home, Luckylee, Poppyhead and SissyGirl

Real Dreamer
Posted 9/12/2008 10:43 PM (#10198 - in reply to #10196)

New user

Thanks for the reply....

Indeed, my intention for taking this course would be for self growth number one... and I am open to other opportunities if they arrive... I was just curious if anyone knows if the program credentials are recognized in Canada or internationally.

mruppert
Posted 9/12/2008 11:01 PM (#10200 - in reply to #10196)

Hi Dreamster:

It is not equivalent to a degree from the U of Toronto; or McGill; if that is what you want to know. It is not equivalent to any "traditional" academic institution, if that is what you are asking.

Though it is no more than their degrees, it is no less, either...in it's own light!

P&L,

Marty and Lucky, Poppy and SissyGirl

Absolute Sovereigncy
Posted 3/8/2009 3:42 AM (#14035 - in reply to #10196)

Student

Hello Real Dreamer,

You can do what you want with the degree and education from USM. You are the ultimate authority for what you express and how you present yourself.
As I have mentioned to others on this site, if you live a significant life, your credentials will do you well. Stand on what you know and trust yourself. At the very least
you will have a beautiful life -- a fulfilled and content life. That's what this education is about for me each moment.

Peace,

Robert
Supernatural3
Posted 3/8/2009 10:02 PM (#14036 - in reply to #10196)

PhD Alumni

While it may not be a secular college, it's perfectly legal when it comes to practitioner / ordainment for Spiritual Counseling / Ministry. Since I do not know the laws in Canada, you may want to check with your city to see what the requirements are for licensing.

Here in Ohio I had to send in a valid certificate and paying a small fee.
But each state is different here.

I am not sure how many courses you can get (it depends on what you set up with them). I was able to get all monthly courses each month at a time, but I paid in advance.

They do not make you rush on anything. You can go as slow as you need to go.
I hope this helps~

GregBeaty
Posted 3/9/2009 10:40 PM (#14045 - in reply to #10196)

New user

Hello Everyone!

Dreamer - While the degrees from UMS are "Legal" and "...recognized..." I thought a lot about what degree title to use for the UMS program. I spend a lot of time around "Doctors" MD's JD's PhD's DD's or whatever other "D" one could have.

When thinking about the degree title from UMS I would select I thought, "you know the "PhD & DD" one would get from UMS is NO WHERE NEAR the investment of time, study, (money) etc that are required to receive a "traditional-academic" doctorate." If I went with a PhD or DD and one of these people would ask me about it, I would instantly loose credibility with them. Yes, it's "legal." Yes, it's "Specialized." But... it's not even close enough. I liken it to someone who has spent years painting a mural then being held to the same standard as the person who glued up a poster. I hope this makes (non-offensive) sense.

So what did I do? I chose the D.M. Why? Because there is no other degree like it. If one would ask me "Tell me about your degree." I could explain that it is a specialized program of study in the field of Metaphysics and therefor I was granted with the title of Doctor of Metaphysics.

This will hopeful save me from the "What? You got a PhD in a year? Is that a joke?" confrontation.

To each their own. I'm just giving you insight into my decision making process.

I'm sure if you take it to learn it and not just for the title of "Doctor" you'll get out of it what matters. Honestly, I personally don't think that doing it for the quick "Doctor" is a good excuse.

Good Luck!

Peace!

Greg
Paul Joseph
Posted 3/10/2009 6:57 AM (#14049 - in reply to #14045)

PhD Alumni

Interesting reasoning Greg. The work of the UMS courses are indeed unique. What you say is also partly why I elected for the Doctor of Divinity title.
GregBeaty
Posted 3/10/2009 1:22 PM (#14058 - in reply to #10196)

New user

Hey Paul!

It's good to know I'm not alone in that thought process. I to looked at the D.D. I may go that way before it's over with.

I really hope no-one with the PhD gets offended by my rational. [?]

Dreamer,

I was thinking about your question last night. One thing you might consider doing is checking with the licensing bodies in your area. I know of a few people who did a program like this one or some other schools like it hoping to use that Masters or Doctorate degree that they got would count as a "graduate degree" and be usable for the licensing requirements for their Licensed Mental Health Counselor/Licensed Professional Counselor. I know at this time, there are NO states in the United States that will allow the degree to count as a "Graduate Degree" as it does not come from a school that is licensed or accredited by the regional accrediting bodies of the US Department of Education System. I don't know anything about Canandas system, but I'm guessing they will have similar standards.

Peace!

Greg
mruppert
Posted 3/11/2009 8:51 PM (#14070 - in reply to #10196)

Hi all:
     Greg makes the point quite succinct.
     My University would not accept any credits or any degree granted by UMS. My University does accept courses and degrees granted by "schools of theology" as long as they are accredited by a regional association. As far as online, U Phoenix is accredited by the North Central Association, and they are almost entirely online.....though they do have some physical locations....generally leased. My U is accredited by Mid Atlantic and we have a central campus in Maryland and some other campuses around the world, as we are as much online as U Phoenix. Yet, we have had brick and mortar places for a long time. Which is why I get so passionate about Maryland Terrapin sports, as that is our sister campus....we are across the big parking lot from the sprawling U of Maryland-College Park.
     The point is (and made well by the "Doctor" aka SUPERnatural Woman) you would need to check to see what is acceptable by state, province, local law. Luckily, at least in the USAye....the feds ain't got nuthin' to do with it. I don't know about the whigs in Ontario. But, I bet they like to skate the Rideaux (sp?-my memory is getting bad) just the same as I did.
     As for me...I am going with the PhD...as I don't want a DD since I don't want to marry nobody.....that came out wrong.....I do want to marry somebody....awwww..... seee a new thread!!!!!

Peach and Louvre,
Marty and Doctoralcats, Luck, Popp and Siss
Paul Joseph
Posted 3/12/2009 9:49 AM (#14084 - in reply to #10196)

PhD Alumni

From the Accreditations section of this site:

"UMS is Accredited by the AADP & AAMA
UMS Accreditations and Associations, AAMA, AADP, American Association Of Medical Alternatives and American Association Of Drugless Practitioners"

: You will also see there explanations about other aspects of accreditation regarding UMS courses, etc.

There have been reflections on all of this in previous threads, but I cannot find them just now ... some of us 'overseas' students have other complications ... I did the DD first, then the PhD; I always had a sense of wanting to recognise my spirituality more somehow, hence that; but as for 'academic' rigour and validity, I also had offers from various UK universities to do doctoral work. Indeed, one method here is, 'PhD by published work' - which I began on, as I do have publications.

Paradoxically perhaps, what impressed me about UMS, apart from its total transparency and responsiveness to my questions, was that it did NOT permit any exemptions, or any recognition of work undertaken in other domains; ie, that felt like UMS had some sense of its own internal rigour, standards and worth.

Once again, I am not aware of any programme anywhere in the world that combine academia, creativity, meditation and healing as does UMS.

I have been involved in validating academic programmes in the UK and recognise that there are always issues of verification and validity; but for what UMS seeks to offer I think it does exceedingly well, and certainly have no regrets about being a UMS student/graduate, indeed am proud of it, and would not have acheived what I feel to be where I am internally, if I had not become involved (note too, I hold professional registration in the UK as a social worker and teacher, and am qualified here in psychoanalytic psychotherapy).

But it is different to a 'standard' PhD, as indeed it is different to what I believe is termed a 'diploma mill' !

ps, I also enrolled in the whole programme, upfront ... another reason why I did not choose the DM title is, I did not want anyone getting confused, or thinking I was trying to pass off as, a MD ... in the UK, DD is an old-fashioned title, not often used these days, which also, I liked, being rather old fashioned, if not quaint ... !

Edited by Paul Joseph 3/12/2009 9:53 AM
Crystalpersuasion
Posted 3/14/2009 7:35 PM (#14104 - in reply to #10196)

Student

Hello everyone! It's good to read these posts as it helps me to decide the direction I will take going forward. A ways off for me, though as I just started. I truely feel like a babe in the woods! I am setting my sights on getting out of the line of work I'm in now...banking and finance....ugghhhh...and into something I can truely enjoy. I can't say whether or not a degree from UMS will necessarily do this for me, but what it's doing for me in my personal journey is all that matters. I believe all things will come...accreditation or not.
mruppert
Posted 3/15/2009 11:03 PM (#14133 - in reply to #10196)

Yes, this is the one avenue of study that will be with you forever!
Like it or NOT!

Marty and Luck, Popp and Siss snorer
Paul Joseph
Posted 3/16/2009 8:38 AM (#14136 - in reply to #14133)

PhD Alumni

Marty - 'forever' - and afterwards too
Supernatural3
Posted 3/16/2009 9:19 AM (#14137 - in reply to #10196)

PhD Alumni

I do want to add that because of my degrees with UMS, I was accepted into an Insurance program that gives referrals to over 30+ different insurance providers. They do this for Reiki practitioners, or those in hypnotherapy, or other alternative healing techniques. This is through Healthways.com. One has to have at least a Masters and guess what, the UMS Masters is accepted there.

I also want to add that Liberty University (a secular college) did accept my BA degree from UMS, which is why they let me be in their Masters program for psychology. I do not have a secular BA from a secular college. However, I did already have all my prerequisites for a BA, so with that they accepted a non-secular degree. I am currently enrolled there now.

I have had a PhD for a long time now, and have had some issues with others not accepting it. but it doesn't really bother me because I am not trying to pass it off as being secular. I tell people who ask all the time: My PhD is in Philosophy of Metaphysical Sciences as I am a spiritual healer. Sometimes I have to elaborate by saying, it's a spiritual degree for healing through the use of God or higher power. I then add the disclosuer: I am not a Medical Doctor, but I play one on TV. rofl.... sorry.... i always tend to make people laugh. It's my sick humor. 

So yes, it's important that if you want to use the PhD at the end, that you explain that it's Philosophy of Metaphysical Sciences. I think Florida passed some strict law about using credentials.

I then explain to people that I didn't just BUY the degree, I earned it. Perhaps not like an MD's 8+ years worth, but by studying, taking tests and writing a Thesis and a Dissertation on something on the lines metaphysics (alternative healing and/or paranormal).

The best part about the degree's here: For some reason this end of living always seems to be much more enjoyable than the total secular field. We have more room to breathe.

If you ask me, there just aren't enough answers yet in that realm, because we just don't know for sure.... there is still a long way to go before we can figure out the meta in physics.

Paul Joseph
Posted 3/16/2009 9:25 AM (#14138 - in reply to #14137)

PhD Alumni

Wonder if the Heathways extends to the UK ? Will investigate ...

Quite so Jill, I would also add that it is amzingly interesting how the farther reaches of quantum physics seems to be coming into full circle meeting with metaphysics: the latter having been around much longer, in fact !
mruppert
Posted 3/22/2009 2:57 AM (#14198 - in reply to #10196)

QP just affirms William James' conclusion...if we perceive God to exist, then God does, indeed, exist, whether or not God exists.
What a wonderful world.....to know that there is massive clouds of electrons....which if perceived as a paradise on Earth, will be so.
But the humanity in us, is mandated to bite the hand that feeds us; and the alien in us manates us to exploit and flee.

Peace on Terra Firma,
Marty and LuckPoppSiss

Absolute Sovereigncy
Posted 3/22/2009 11:04 PM (#14204 - in reply to #10196)

Student

Real Dreamer,

I have mentioned this before, I have a bachelors degree in Health Care Management and masters in Human Resources Development (secular degrees). All they did for me was separate me from myself in my chase for money and success. I paid for UMS up front for the DD and PhD. I'm totally happy with my decision. I've been with UMS for a year now. Moment by moment I have been myself all the way. I have no concerns about who accepts UMS or not. It is what it is. Its about metaphysical sciences.
And I will define what that is for me in the Masters, the DD and the PhD papers. I'm standing on what that means for me. Period.
My "goal" is to further my experience of Self in each significant moment. If I can do that, I will continue to feel at Peace, content,
loving, fulfilled and at clarity with my life, and greatful and appreciative for this breath of mine which is with me to the absolute end, just as it was in the beginning. Reality is so beautiful. Its up to you from within. Have your Peace now. Take it with you wherever you are now! When else can it be, if not now? The past? The future? I think not. Each moment of now is all there is.
Take it . Cultivate it. Appreciate it. Be greatful now. Its a gift! Being Here Now is the process. Bora Bora, the United Kingdom, the United States, Japan, Canada, its all the same if you are in the present moment.

Absolute Sovereigncy (Robert)

Edited by Absolute Sovereigncy 3/22/2009 11:11 PM
Absolute Sovereigncy
Posted 3/26/2009 11:07 AM (#14223 - in reply to #14198)

Student

Hi mruppert,

For me, the following quote is a perfect example of "new age" think-speak. It is based on the premise that the only "absolute" in life is that "there are no absolutes."
In other words "A" = "non-A." Or "Peace" = "Non-Peace." You can't have it both ways. Its one or the other. Reality is reality no matter what our "whims" would like it to be. Thats how I see it anyway:

"QP just affirms William James' conclusion...if we perceive God to exist, then God does, indeed, exist, whether or not God exists.
What a wonderful world.....to know that there is massive clouds of electrons....which if perceived as a paradise on Earth, will be so.
But the humanity in us, is mandated to bite the hand that feeds us; and the alien in us manates us to exploit and flee."

"Peace on Terra Firma" (Its your coice -- I choose peace)

Absolute Sovereigncy
Hodga
Posted 5/16/2010 7:46 AM (#19471 - in reply to #10196)

New user

I'm a new member of this forum. I will enroll to UMS in the future. Now I can't because my finance are not allowing me to do this now (I'm a student of herbal medicine in UK). I'd like to share with all people some of my opinion about studies as general (secular of course). I've been born in Poland. Now I live in UK and I'm 31. I started 4 times different universities ( all in poland ). My first - IT technologies - as a student this subject I had access to computers 2 hours per week ( now it's not a joke ). Idea maybe wrong university. Second - mechanical engineering - one of the best technical universities in east europe - problem or not but I don't understand how it works. I will give a horse if someone will explain me why subject of philosophy is important on mechanical engineering. Maths on high level - yes, physics on high level - yes, chemistry on high level - ? (I'm not sure), what about environment protection - important (so it was 2 hours per week during 2 years of studies), IT technologies - important (but it was 2 hours per week firs two years and 3 hours per week another 2 years). It's long description but I had to do this. After this university - I was there one year - I believe that you can do important studies from one to 3 years. Most of this material could be shortened. It's wasting money and time. (Maybe studies like medicine or law should be longer cause material but that's all). Now I know that most of universities in Europe looks like the same. If you don't believe me ask yourself (how much material from your studies are you using in your job). Third - it was standard university and return to IT technologies. Badly we have learned there only old things like an old programming language. (I've found unnecessary material here as well.) Ok so maybe I should find something really good - maybe private. It was my choice. Private university and IT technologies once again. It was that what I look for. Where is the catch? If you need really good material and diplomas you need additional courses and diplomas (certificate of ... in terminal engineering - example). You will have to take a loan (big one) if you want to finish this. Last question - where does this lead? To rush, to success, to (I don't like this words) race of rats? I've seen it, If I will choose it I will lose myself. It was last time when I tried to "make" secular studies". I'm sorry but I don't know how this look like in US. I see many people which are going to universities and finishing them because someone told them that they should. No because they want, no because they choose to. I feel very sorry about that.
I'm not sure that this should be here but general talk about studies was here.
Ophiucus
Posted 5/17/2010 1:44 PM (#19476 - in reply to #19471)

Forum Administrator

UMS has students worldwide Hodga. As you can see when you look at the other site information, what is on offer is considerably different to a traditional degree.
Disa
Posted 3/3/2014 9:45 AM (#24890 - in reply to #14137)

Alumni

Supernatural3 - 3/16/2009 9:19 AM

I do want to add that because of my degrees with UMS, I was accepted into an Insurance program that gives referrals to over 30+ different insurance providers. They do this for Reiki practitioners, or those in hypnotherapy, or other alternative healing techniques. This is through Healthways.com. One has to have at least a Masters and guess what, the UMS Masters is accepted there.

I also want to add that Liberty University (a secular college) did accept my BA degree from UMS, which is why they let me be in their Masters program for psychology. I do not have a secular BA from a secular college. However, I did already have all my prerequisites for a BA, so with that they accepted a non-secular degree. I am currently enrolled there now.

I have had a PhD for a long time now, and have had some issues with others not accepting it. but it doesn't really bother me because I am not trying to pass it off as being secular. I tell people who ask all the time: My PhD is in Philosophy of Metaphysical Sciences as I am a spiritual healer. Sometimes I have to elaborate by saying, it's a spiritual degree for healing through the use of God or higher power. I then add the disclosuer: I am not a Medical Doctor, but I play one on TV. rofl.... sorry.... i always tend to make people laugh. It's my sick humor. 

So yes, it's important that if you want to use the PhD at the end, that you explain that it's Philosophy of Metaphysical Sciences. I think Florida passed some strict law about using credentials.

I then explain to people that I didn't just BUY the degree, I earned it. Perhaps not like an MD's 8+ years worth, but by studying, taking tests and writing a Thesis and a Dissertation on something on the lines metaphysics (alternative healing and/or paranormal).

The best part about the degree's here: For some reason this end of living always seems to be much more enjoyable than the total secular field. We have more room to breathe.

If you ask me, there just aren't enough answers yet in that realm, because we just don't know for sure.... there is still a long way to go before we can figure out the meta in physics.

Jill, I'm curious- do you mean Liberty Christian University? or is there another one I am not finding? I have been thinking of studying psychology after I finish here, just researching and contemplating things at this point...
mruppert
Posted 3/3/2014 12:01 PM (#24892 - in reply to #24890)

Incredible coincidence!!!!!!!

Though I am a bit confused.......

Background: If I want to teach at a Community College level, I am told that I will need a Masters in the subject I would like to teach. So, I went shopping since UMUC does not offer a Masters in anything that I want to teach (namely History or other humanities). USM schools (University System of Merryland) do offer History Ma's but they also require the GRE, which I would rather avoid taking. So I went shopping again.

I looked at Liberty University, which is across the river and down the road a piece in ol' Virginny. This Liberty is not a secular school (it is run by Jerry Falwell) and point blank will not accept any degrees from other than regionally and nationally accredited schools. I saved the admissions stuff and part of it says:

• Regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with at least a 3.0 GPA for admission in good standing. (Probation on a case-by-case basis)

So, I do not think that Jill is referring to this Liberty University. I don't know of any others, but Google may discover one.

Working for a University, I will again say that no traditional College or University will accept degrees from UMS (University of Metaphysical Science) as valid degrees. But, don't take my word for it...contact any college or university and ask. Just don't get your hopes up.

Peace to all,

Marty and LuckyLee

leo
Posted 3/3/2014 2:20 PM (#24893 - in reply to #10196)
Subject: Re: A few questions about the course...

Ph.D. Alumni

Got to agree with Marty on this one also. No secular school will accept UMS or any other similar course ie The University of Sedona or the Universityof Metaphysics better known as Dr. Masters school. (I believe Christine B. went to the University of Metaphysics.)

"Accreditation is a voluntary method of quality assurance developed more than 100 years ago by American universities and secondary schools, and designed primarily to distinguish schools adhering to a set of educational standards. While accreditation is a set of rigorous protocols and research-based processes for evaluating an institution’s organizational effectiveness, it is far more than that. Today accreditation examines the whole institution—the programs, the cultural context, the community of stakeholders—to determine how well the parts work together to meet the needs of students."

"Accreditation does not provide automatic acceptance by an institution of credit earned at another institution, nor does it give assurance of acceptance of graduates by employers. Acceptance of credit or graduates is always the prerogative of the receiving institution or employer. For these reasons, besides ascertaining the accredited status of a school or program, students should take additional measures to determine, prior to enrollment, whether their educational goals will be met through attendance at a particular institution. Those measures should include inquiries to institutions to which transfer might be desired or to prospective employers." U.S. Deprtment of Education

Edited by leo 3/3/2014 2:23 PM
Disa
Posted 3/3/2014 2:25 PM (#24894 - in reply to #10196)
Subject: Re: A few questions about the course...

Alumni

Marty the Liberty University you are speaking of is also the one I found. I am also confused. Maybe Jill will come along and clarify. It's also possible that the circumstances were different, when she posted that initially in 2009 It may also be that since she had all the prerequisites for a BA, she had something more than the UMS degree, which helped in her situation.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2016 PD9 Software