University Of Metaphysical Sciences
University Of Metaphysical Sciences ->  General Public -> Metaphysics Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Edgar Allan Poe, "The Power of Words"
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Public -> Metaphysics DiscussionMessage format

Rose
Posted 8/14/2008 1:51 AM (#9140)
Subject: Edgar Allan Poe, "The Power of Words"

Student

Oinos: but you speak merely of impulses upon the air.

Agathos: In speaking of the air, I referred only to the earth; but the general proposition has reference to impulses upon the ether-which, since it pervades, and alone pervades all space, is thus the great medium of creation.

Oinos: Then all motion, of whatever nature, creates?

Agathos: It must: but a true philosophy has long taught that the source of all motion is thought--and the source of all thought is--

Oinos: God.

Agathos: I have spoken to you, Oinos, as to a child of the fair Earth which lately perished--of impulses upon the atmosphere of the Earth.

Oinos. You did.

Agathos: And while I thus spoke, did there not cross your mind some thought of the physical power of words? Is not every word an impjulse on the air?

Oinos: But why, Agathos, do you weep---and why, oh why do your wings droop, as we hover above this fair star--which is the greenest and yet most terrible of all we have encountered in our flight? Its brilliant flowers look like a fairy dream---but its fierce volcanoes like the passions of a turbulent heart.

Agathos: They are!--they are! This wild star--it is now three centuries since, with clasped hands, and with streaming eyes, at the feet of my beloved--I spoke it--witha few passionate sentences--into birth. Its brilliant flowers are the dearest of all unfulfilled dreams, and its raging volcanoes are the passions of the most turbulent and unhallowed of hearts.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
mruppert
Posted 8/14/2008 2:37 AM (#9142 - in reply to #9140)
Subject: RE: Edgar Allan Poe, "The Power of Words"

Awwwww Rosey.....I was off on a tangent and then I read your post and then I am having a breakdown....Edgar lived in Baltimore for a while, and you can see where he lived and drink in the same places he did if you care to.
I remember when Isis and I went on the "ghost" tour of Baltimore and we had a lot of fun...she was really scared in Poe's place....as she was "sensitive". I told her the story of the grave...the Rose and the cognac....she (my Virginia country girl) didn't believe me...but the Rose and the cognac were mysteriously there the next day, the day after Poes death. The Rose and cognac are always there on the eve of Poes death...and no one knows the cloaked gentleman that puts them there. He is caught on camera, but when the Baltimoron police try to ascertain his identity, they can't seem to apprehend him. Hmmmm.......

Peace and Love,
Marty and Catatonic Cats, Luck, Popp, and Siss
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/14/2008 11:49 AM (#9158 - in reply to #9142)

PhD Alumni

This is too profound for me ... the power of words makes me think of the beginning of the Gospel of John,

'In the beginning was the Word', echoing Genesis, 'In the beginning when God created ..'

(hence my interest in poetry as the word poema means, to make)

.... as for Poe, Rose - is it safe for your Owl-kind to flirt with Ravens ?

Hello Marty and pussies !!

Edited by Paul Joseph 8/14/2008 11:51 AM
Rose
Posted 8/14/2008 7:36 PM (#9194 - in reply to #9142)

Student

I've seen that Martyr! There was a television broadcast about the man leaving that on the grave....Is it just one person? Some speculated it was several keeping the tradition alive.

Poe's works...well some of them really do touch me. Some think him to dark and grim, but he had a way with words...and yes of course he did because during his writing career..short and meager as it may have been at the time...they paid for every word and that's why he used fifteen to describe what could have been done in three...

Love and Peace to you and the furballs!
Rose
Posted 8/14/2008 7:54 PM (#9195 - in reply to #9158)

Student

Paul, Ravens are....well in a word disgusting! Do you know that they eat rabbits and leave the parts in water buckets around here...you may check for fresh water for the animals and there's a nice bare rabbit leg or dead bird floating there and they steal eggs and leave the shells everywhere!

Owls on the other hand digest their food and leave these...large pellet like items or regurgitation, and although it doesn't sound nice it's neat and packed in small balls that at first appear to be rocks or something...just a whole lot nicer and less wasteful than ravens.

OKAY THIS IS SOMETHING FOR THE GHOST CHASER IN MARTYR AND THE POET INVESTIGATOR IN PAULY:

SPIRITS OF THE DEAD

Thy Soul shall find itself alone
'Mid dark thoughts of the gray tomb-stone..
Not one, of all the crowd, to pry
Into thine hour of secrecy:

Be silent in that solitude,
Which is not loneliness--for then
The spirits of the dead who stood
In life before thee, are again
In death around thee--and their will
Shall overshadow thee: be still.

The night--tho' clear-shall frown-
And the stars shall look not down,
From their high thrones in the heaven,
With light like Hope to mortals given--

Love and Peace to all who pass through here...

Edited by Rose 8/14/2008 7:57 PM
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/15/2008 9:52 AM (#9226 - in reply to #9195)

PhD Alumni

'Twas Poe's poem i had in mind ...

I personally find the Crow family of great interest ... they're very intelligent and I think Native American peoples regard them with some awe .. maybe they are leaving you little gifts as thank yous ?

Caw-caw
Tracy Martin
Posted 8/15/2008 10:50 AM (#9227 - in reply to #9195)

Alumni

While Owls are wise, and clean, and fierce hunters, the Raven is quite clever and also a messenger. My first thought about the pieces of rabbit in the bucket was how smart! I didn't know that they would ever clean their food. My respect has moved up a notch!. Whenever I see Raven of Crow, something in me says "Hello Little Sister!" I once heard a Raven mimic human speech.

http://www.instructables.com/files/deriv/FJN/DXTQ/FD80BVDV/FJNDXTQFD80BVDV.MEDIUM.gif
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/15/2008 11:10 AM (#9229 - in reply to #9227)

PhD Alumni

Wonderful photos Tracy ... and now then perhaps I'll tell my two crow stories to which I alluded once before ... not directly observed by me, but by others whose observations I respect - both on Hampstead Heath, of course!:

In the first, a lifeguard at the pond strung a piece of bacon up, watched by two crows. When he had finished and retreated, the crows flew together, then one snipped the string, whilst the other caught the bacon !

In the second, my friend observed a group of crows in a circle, with one in the middle. The crows were talking to each other, as if, he felt, in some kind of judgement setting. Then they all went quiet, and as a group, pounced on the one in the middle. Somehow it got away, and (details are hazy, cannot remember if my friend hid it, or it hid itself) took refuge behind the toilets. But then the crows pursued it, found it, and dragged it into the pond; or maybe they first pushed it into the pond, my friend rescued it, hid it, but they got it again - cannot be exact on that ... he had the strongly strange impression the crow had offended the community and was being tried (and sentenced) ...

Edited by Paul Joseph 8/15/2008 11:11 AM
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/15/2008 11:18 AM (#9233 - in reply to #9227)

PhD Alumni

Ha ha Tracy - just seen - were you punning my imitation of a crow's speech ?
instinctual
Posted 8/15/2008 12:09 PM (#9235 - in reply to #9140)

PhD Alumni

This is great stuff! It goes to show that in all of nature, there is a pecking order ( no pun intended ) !!!
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/15/2008 12:33 PM (#9238 - in reply to #9235)

PhD Alumni

form an orderly crueuew now ... ( ouch, that was the best pun I could get out of combing crow + queue, but then again, it might lead to a creusete (?) set for the Food for the Soul thread - I even lose myself sometimes !Q!x)
Rose
Posted 8/15/2008 10:26 PM (#9268 - in reply to #9227)

Student

My favorite about Crows and I don't know if this pertains to Ravens is that they carry souls. I don't know where this story originated but there as a Crow on a beach something like that and that the Crow discovered mankind and that they carry souls to some afterlife...mind you I only have bits and pieces. I believe I heard this on one of those discovery channels researching some ancient folklore or tribe of some sort.

I remember thinking that it was interesting.
Rose
Posted 8/15/2008 10:28 PM (#9269 - in reply to #9235)

Student

Look at the Owl picture Instinctual, you made me laugh! Not sure if this one was really angry at the photographer but it could be a gleeful smile and laughter... Like the "Owl Buddha".
Rose
Posted 8/15/2008 10:31 PM (#9270 - in reply to #9238)

Student

But can a Crow or Raven Laugh like this! Look at these cute chubby feathery cheeks...by far the cutest smile.
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/18/2008 5:39 AM (#9342 - in reply to #9270)

PhD Alumni

Yesterday in the hospital waiting room read fascinating article about a woman who adopted a fledgeling magpie chick that had been abandoned ... she kept it in a box, till it was ready to fly, but by then had become so tame that it refused to leave ... and during the woman's debate with her daughter as to whether and how they would keep it or not, it joined in their meeting as a third participant, and actually repeated its name that they had been using for it - Spike ... that was it, they decided it had to stay !

instinctual
Posted 8/18/2008 10:09 PM (#9369 - in reply to #9140)

PhD Alumni

Yikes..only just noticed this post..what were you doing in the hospital waiting room P?
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/19/2008 4:41 AM (#9375 - in reply to #9369)

PhD Alumni

Toe, having experienced the dropping upon it of large square sharp sided oven pan at Thursday supper cooking time still seemed to be seeping slight blood specks on Saturday evening, so off to Walk-in (or in my case, hobble in) clinic Sunday morning .... ! Must have grounded myself for our astral trip in between ... thanks for asking !
instinctual
Posted 8/19/2008 11:28 AM (#9376 - in reply to #9140)

PhD Alumni

You are welcome! Nothing broken, I hope? Amazing how these events occur to slow us down..make us focus..
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/19/2008 12:00 PM (#9387 - in reply to #9376)

PhD Alumni

Don't think broken no ; it balances my other foot, which I did break about 7 years ago !!

All this wounded healing ... where will it all end ? x
instinctual
Posted 8/19/2008 12:05 PM (#9392 - in reply to #9140)

PhD Alumni

2 off the cuff answers come to mind ( here comes the oil and vinegar emulsion attempt )!

It already has

It never will.

Pass the pepper, please!
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/19/2008 12:06 PM (#9394 - in reply to #9392)

PhD Alumni

In the old servants quarters days, to sit at table 'below the salt' was, I think, in a lowly place !!

Ha tishoo
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2016 PD9 Software