University Of Metaphysical Sciences
University Of Metaphysical Sciences ->  General Public -> Metaphysics Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Food for the Soul...
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Public -> Metaphysics DiscussionMessage format

instinctual
Posted 8/15/2008 11:28 PM (#9277 - in reply to #8672)
Subject: RE: Food for the Soul...

PhD Alumni

yum! I hope it was lucsious!! You know, when I was in London almost 10 years ago, I couldn't even tell you where I ate- other than the hotel I was in, because I was only there for 2 days, and saw the usual sites such as Buckingham Palace and the changing of the guards, Trafalgar Square, Big Ben, etc..it is the most amazing city...I adore London! During the same trip, we drove our car onto the ferry at the White Cliffs, which took us to Calais, then we drove to Paris. It happens it was Valentine's Day, and we went into this little place, had an amazing chicken and wonderful drinks..and it was the night of a soccer match between the UK and either France or Ireland...but there were patrons there on behalf of each team..and I have never witnessed such pride, grown men ( and I have photos of this )! standing on tables as the match was televised, singing their own national anthems with tears in their eyes( and drinks in their hands ) ...and the bunch of them coaxed me, "The American Girl" ) who hardly depicts what the average American looks like - whatever that is...however I look quite Mediterranean , ie olive complexion, black hair and brown eyes- to sing my own national anthem!! I will always look back on that trip, and smile!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
mruppert
Posted 8/16/2008 1:28 AM (#9285 - in reply to #8672)

Yup...she was OSS...the forerunner of the CIA, she married into a spy culture. . She was still a good cook and, if you want to dig deep into a mystery of history, she maintained a friendship with another French chef....and he has a very elusive past.....I will give you a hint....they did a series of shows together before she died.
Early on I learned from my Mom, since my Dad couldn't boil an egg without ruining it. When my Mom went to work, and my Dad "cooked" that became the open door for me to step up, as he couldn't make anything that me and my sisters would eat. I copied what my Mom did...and then enhanced it.....becoming the primary source of food for the Ruppert family. And, I enjoyed being in the "kitchen". I was pleased to know Julia, and will never forget "breakfast wine".
Now, I admire many tv chefs....though I think that they have gotten to "full" of themselves. I loved Justin, a N'ahleens (New Orleans, Louisiana) chef. And, I have a mad crush on Rachel Ray...I'd love to be in a steamy  kitchen with her...all sweaty and hot! Maybe because I think she is the most beautiful woman I have ever seen.
On the same token, I HATE Bobby Flay for so many reasons that I cannot write....starting with his disrespect of the Jap chefs when he first appeared on the real "Iron Chef".
I would love to have an opportunity to cook face to face with him and see who is the best......imagine his chagrin when I come out the winner!
I cannot boast of anything except that I can cook, and really good. I have no recipes, just ideas and methodology. I sometimes have failures, but most often, I make things that blow people away from the diningroom table, and bring them back lapping up more!
PBS has this show called "Everlasting Feast", very spiritual, very satisfying, usually cited in Kali or Oregon or Washington.......sometimes on my coast. Perhaps UMS will someday have a little get together in wherever....maybe ArCATa, and I will have the honor to cook for you all!
Better yet, we all join and make an "Everlasting Feast"....my baking skills are poor!

Love and Sweat,
Marty and Kitchen Kats, Luckster, Poppster, and Sisster
Rose
Posted 8/16/2008 1:41 AM (#9286 - in reply to #8672)

Student

So Julia was a spy? Oh...who cares that woman taught me how to make one of the best omelets and how to set up an omelet bar and I just loved her shows! It's so hard to imagine sweet Julia as anything other than a chef...cheffette!

Marty....I adore people who put their heart and souls into their cooking and I suspect that you are amongst that elite class...a class of people who seem to be growing more and more extinct....Rachel Ray! I adore her as well.

Instinctual and Cara have shared some really wonderful recipes and if I'm not mistaken I believe Paul did too.

So when you get the wonderful Castle we'll all have a chance to take turns being head chef in the kitchen and putting forth our best foot in order to WOW the others....

Much Love and Peace to you...now off with sweet dreams of magnificent dinners and a crowd of warm loving friends to share that with.

xxx000 to the furballs...
mruppert
Posted 8/16/2008 2:18 AM (#9288 - in reply to #8672)

Ahhhhh.....Rosehips.....
It may be sooner than you think! In the meantime, read or re-read the classic childrens story, called "Stone Soup." I love that story. To me, it is the epitome of what we are talking about!

P&L, Marty and Finicky Cats, Luckylee, Poppyhead and the SissyGirl
Kiddo Green
Posted 8/16/2008 3:19 AM (#9293 - in reply to #8672)

Oh My Gawd! I thought you were joking, Paul, when you said who is Julia. SO, I looked her up. All these years I thought she was English. She was born here is SoCal. She just has an affected way of speaking which made me think she was English. And, she was sort of pinched. Probably the stuffy Pasadena upbringing and New England education are to blame. She always reminded me of the English dog training lady, "walkies!". Please don't take any offense, my English compadres!

And, yes, she used to nip the sauce a bit too often on the show while she was cooking. She was perfectly pickled!...but really a home chef icon.

btw, chef de cuisine (English parlance has shortened it to 'chef'...but I am sure my savvy friends already know this...) literally translated is boss of the kitchen. And, I can rightly say that all of us are just that.
mruppert
Posted 8/16/2008 8:15 AM (#9299 - in reply to #8672)

Yahuh.....she was a Kali girl. And, true, she loved to test the wine that she was using in making her Coq au Vin. As did we all!
Funny, she was more relaxed when the shows were live on old NET (National Educational Television) then when they were rehearsed and taped for PBS. Her home station was WGBH, Boston. We had her for a while, because she had things going on in Washington, DC, our home station WETA.
Ahhh.....the memories!!!!!!!!

Peace,
Marty and Sleepy Cats, Lucklylee (kitchen floor), Poppyhead (in front of the screen, making it hard for me to see) and SissyGirl (on Phobos by now....heading further into the solar system).
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/16/2008 8:44 AM (#9300 - in reply to #9299)

PhD Alumni

Dear Sir Marty - Anacapri, Marylebone, old fashioned Italian, not the usual kind of shabat but the in-laws are aged and its the only time they get out .. thanks 'twas nice ..and Cara - are you saying we English are 'affected' and 'pinched' - ah but remember, she is not as you say, English really !!

Working on not being affected & pinched

don Pixieote de la Canniballistic Feast x
instinctual
Posted 8/16/2008 11:28 PM (#9328 - in reply to #8672)

PhD Alumni

Ah yes, I guess the kindest thing one can say about Julia's speech is that it was interesting and that she had a speech impediment ( or did the public have a receptive impediment to her speech )? I didn't know she was from Cali..ahahaa! That makes it even more interesting...and Graham...before he "cleaned up" I guess you can say, he always seemed to be one step behind the gutter... (wink) I wonder if that is why I love him so much? hahaha! -...speaking of interesting is the Jeff Smith thing...I always sensed a bit of some sort of chemistry between him and his helpers..I recall there being 2 different ones over time? And you mention WGBH Boston! Being in CT, channel 13 , Fairfield County CT's public station... was WGBH sometimes, and the New York station..WNET intermittently. I grew up watching ZOOM- WGBH! The Electric Company! Sesame Street! Mr. Roger's Neighborhood! Anyway, Lydia..what is her name, that classy Italian broad that could be any Italian's Aunt Lydia...amazing dishes...and of course I do not remember this lady's name...but I know with a description Marty, you can name her right off the bat...dark hair, lowwwww forehead....when she referred to measurements she would always say. . .

"Ooh...about ...that much"....I know you know who I mean! And yupperoni....Rachel Ray is simply and edibley adorable! I think there is no gray area with Rachel. People either love her or really really do not love her! My son in law Rich loooooooooves Giada...and it is not for her cooking abilities, shall we say!!!!! ( grrrr )....I have to say I agree with you about Bobby Flay, although I would not stand on ceremony so much as to refuse one of his meals, in fact I ate at one of his restaurants in NYC- Mesa Grill..and it was wonderful... My all time favorite is Mario. He is so eloquent in speech, so smart and incorporates so much geographical knowledge and culinary history into his meals...and so cute with those orange rubber clogs! ..oh and Mart...before I forget, do tell about the "breakfast wine"...??? ( my initial reaction is...bleeechhhh )!!

Anyway, I would love to have an event with my UMS kindreds and I will reach out so far as to say this- IF you can all make it to Tucson at the same time..I will host this amazing event of love, cooking, fellowship, healing and laughter!

Edited by instinctual 8/16/2008 11:47 PM
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/17/2008 3:28 PM (#9337 - in reply to #9328)

PhD Alumni

Likewise, mea aussi, alla Londres !!

Though my family have still not quite resolved themselves to my UMS concerns

don Quixote de la Flayed Flava

otherwise, cup of tea in a cafe would be great x

... ps, as for that Kali, is that, she of the Great Yuga, or our Mother Goddess ? Sorry, takes me ages ...

............. and Lydia, that;s not Groucho Marx's Lydia the Tattooed Lady is it, perchance ?
Pooh, a bear of little, slow brain

..............chef - chief - jeffe - cook ? Head cook and bottlewasher - need to check my etymology ...

.......................... savvy = savoire-faire, to know how to do (that right?) Just keeping up, or trying to .. !!

Edited by Paul Joseph 8/17/2008 3:36 PM
instinctual
Posted 8/17/2008 4:48 PM (#9339 - in reply to #8672)

PhD Alumni

Oh Paul you make me smile and giggle !!! In the best way!

Lydia (not Marx ) is a Northern (I think ) Italian cook known on US public TV, and I think the Kali that they were referring to is Cutsey for Cali(fornia) where Julia Child was born!

I think it is sweet that although your family does not completely appreciate your UMS concerns, that they support you on your way! Lovely, Lovey!

OK, short and sweet visit , and darnit, my pc is only back up from all day being dowwwnn....and the babysitting services of Nanna are required!

Peace and Good things! Ciao for now...oh and..what does mea aussi, alla mean??

Paul Joseph
Posted 8/18/2008 4:31 AM (#9340 - in reply to #9339)

PhD Alumni

Ahh Marty - just re-read and clicked the Stone Soup story in my brain ... yes, good fairy tale that one.

Holy pidgeon grammar Lori: I was just messing around with multi-cultural lingo; I was trying to convey, me as well, in London; ie, if anyone is venturing over this way, please let me know, if so desired, and some kind of meeting or another would be nice ! sorry to be opaque

Edited by Paul Joseph 8/18/2008 4:42 AM
instinctual
Posted 8/18/2008 12:22 PM (#9354 - in reply to #8672)

PhD Alumni

Oh, I can be such a dork...ahahahaaa
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/18/2008 12:34 PM (#9361 - in reply to #9354)

PhD Alumni

Now now, no dork-calling, especially of Thy Holy Self !!
instinctual
Posted 8/18/2008 12:43 PM (#9364 - in reply to #8672)

PhD Alumni

Lots of duplications today! What's that all about? 2 me's here when one is too much at times...4 posts...I guess the message is that 2+2=4?

Kiddo Green
Posted 8/21/2008 5:03 AM (#9492 - in reply to #8672)

Heeeheee. Personally I love the aussie take home chef. You know that hat sexy aussie dude whom chicks secretly getted all dolled up for and wander the aisles of schmancy designer petits groceries???....in hopes that his TV crew will happen upon them with their shopping cart and fix a scrumptious meal from home? I think it is hysterical, desperate and charming all at the same time.

Oh Dear, Paul, did I upset you? I hope not. Goes to show you that I can be too outspoken. I just thought Julia Childs was like that dog training lady. I knew her as the "walkies" lady. And, she used to jerk the chain so hard on those poor little pups! (And, Paul, if you haven't already, check out a film clip of Julia CHilds when you get a chance...It really is comical.)

Take care,
Cara

Paul Joseph
Posted 8/21/2008 5:07 AM (#9494 - in reply to #9492)

PhD Alumni

No problem Cara; I was just being playful

.... typing on a keyboard to a screen can open up much room for misunderstanding cannot it not, though ?!

.......... and with such a ratatouille of culture as we have in the Board community/Fellowship of this particular Ring, it is something of an interesting experiment in international cooperation and development !!

xx

Edited by Paul Joseph 8/21/2008 5:10 AM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2016 PD9 Software