University Of Metaphysical Sciences
University Of Metaphysical Sciences ->  General Public -> Metaphysics Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Food for the Soul...
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Public -> Metaphysics DiscussionMessage format

Kiddo Green
Posted 8/6/2008 7:02 PM (#8672)
Subject: Food for the Soul...

For those who fancy themselves chefs or self-proclaimed good cooks, I would love to put together recipes, experiences, cooking tips, advice that nutures the Soul. With the meal, we nurture the body, but we also nurture the Soul. It is often said that the kitchen is the Heart of the home. So, what does your hearth have to share?

I can begin, but I warn all who read, portions are loose...I cook in the old way, by watching and tasting...

Fine company and good cheer makes a merry feast!

Cara
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Kiddo Green
Posted 8/6/2008 7:31 PM (#8673 - in reply to #8672)
Subject: RE: Food for the Soul...

Kashmir Sunrise! aka French Toast

2 eggs
1/2 to 1 cup of whole cow's milk
1/2 cup of premixed/presweetened vanilla soy chai (I prefer bolthouse farms organic)
a dash of vanilla extract
a dash of flaxseed oil (optional)
lemon zest to taste (save the lemon for later...)
nutty wholegrain organic bread
butter (for the pan)
maple syrup or some other sweet spread like fruit preserves or powdered sugar and fresh fruit

1. Crack the eggs in bowl and whip,
2.then add the rest of the ingrediants and blend well.
In the meantime, heat a non-stick fry pan to slow-medium heat
3. Dip the sliced bread, one slice at a time, into the mixture and soak thoroughly. (Be careful not to oversoak. The bread will tear if too wet.)
4.Place a pat of butter in the pan. (The butter will burn if the heat is too high. Watch the heat.)
5. Place two to three pieces of bread in the pan at time.
6.When golden brown on one side, flip and do the same on the other side.
7.Serve with maple syrup or sweet topping of your choice. It is wonderful stand alone, with fresh fruit or with other breakfast items.

I make this nearly everyday for my son. It takes 5-10 minutes from start to finish.

Quick Notes:
BoltHouse Farms Vanilla Soy chai (loaded with vitamins and minerals, and other anti-oxidants, particularly B6, B12, calcium and magnesium)
Wholegrain bread with flaxseed (for omega-3 fatty acids, folic acid, etc., good for developing brains and eyes as well adult neural functioning)
Flaxseed oil (rich in omega fatty acids, good for neural development and functioning)
eggs (omega fatty acids and protein and all the eggy goodness)
lemon zest (vitamin C)
vanilla extract (because it's delicious!)

instinctual
Posted 8/11/2008 8:35 PM (#9017 - in reply to #8672)

PhD Alumni

O, C that sounds sinful!!! Your kitchen must smell incredible while you are cooking that!! Tonight here is steamed Chilean sea bass and spinach salad.

OK- Albondigas Soup ( Mexican meatball soup ) By Lori, of Hungarian and Italian decent ! (Disclaimer- amounts are generally eye balled and are dependent upon my mood)

Saute garlic and onion in olive oil in stock pot-

Fill with fresh cold water

Place whole chicken or chicken parts into pot, simmer until meat falling off bones.

Remove chicken and de bone, place meat back into pot

Skim pot of fat, etc

Add chopped carrots, more onion, a can of crushed tomatoes or chopped whole tomatoes, season to taste, (cumin is perfect)

Bring back to boil and simmer- meanwhile-make meatball mixture-

ground beef or any combination of veal pork turkey

eggs

seasonings

bread crumbs-

Form into tiny meatballs, toss them into the pot and let them poach...they don't take long to cook at all.

Slice up a lemon, toss into pot...garnish with cilantro , voila! I usually add some cayenne and some crushed red pepper for heat!

Kiddo Green
Posted 8/12/2008 1:56 AM (#9022 - in reply to #8672)

Right on Lori! My husband just read it and asked if I am going to make it. I said yes.

Cara
Kiddo Green
Posted 8/12/2008 2:32 AM (#9024 - in reply to #8672)

Italian Meat Sauce (family recipe)...to feed a small army

1 whole onion chopped
3 carrots
2.5 sticks of celery
~ 1 head of garlic (depending on the freshness of the garlic, type of garlic, and your tolerance/taste of the spice)
1-2 spicy chilis (optional)
1/2 bell pepper (red, yellow, orange, not green!)
54 oz. canned canned peeled whole plum tomatoes (2 large cans)
14.5 oz. (1 can) tomato sauce)
1 handful of chopped gourmet mushrooms (rehydrated) , not button...you want the woodsy flavor
olive oil
fresh roseamry 2-3 sprigs
thyme 3 sprigs
oregano 3 sprigs
Italian parsley 1 sprig
Cilantro 1 sprig
Basil 2-3 sprigs
Bay leaves 3-4
1-2 spoonfuls of Italian seasoning
Lemon pepper
Crushed black pepper
Salt
cumin (pinch) optional
4-5 lbs. chuck roast, boneless
red wine to taste
balsamic vinegar to taste

Place the meat on a pan in the oven to brown. Salt and pepper the meat. Brown on both sides.
In the meantime, chop all the vegetables and set aside.
Brown the onions and garlic in the stewpot with a little bit of olive oil.
Open all the can of tomatoes and soak the mushrooms in hot water.
(Mushrooms: fill a cup halffull with hot water, place the mushrooms in the water. Place a smaller cup in size on top of the mushrooms so that the mushrooms are submerged in the water. They tend to float when they are dry. When they are thoroughly soaked, take out of the water, chop and add to the mix, then add the water.)
Add the tomatoes to the stewpot, then the carrots, then the celery.
Chop all the herbs and add.
Season the sauce.
Finally, add the meat.
Add wine and balsamic vinegar. Just a splash. Too much wine will make it sour, too much balsamic will make it sweet.
Cook on medium heat (or bubbling) until the meat is fork tender (approximately 2-4 hours)

Tips:
1.Do not add sugar to the mix. The carrots and balsamic will give it the right amount of sweetness.
2.Continue to stir the mixture and taste as you go. The sauce will change in consistency and flavor over time. The flavors will mellow and blend. It should have a smooth flavor, not sharp.
3.Add the meat last so that it is easy to stir the sauce. It becomes more difficult to stir and blend when the meat is in the pot.
4. Do not let the meat stick to the bottom and burn. Again, keep stirring.
5. This is a family recipe and all flavoring is to taste. So, use your taste. Add or delete. It is better to start with less and add as you go.
6. The sauce is best served the second day. Really!
7. The sauce freezes very well. Save some for later if you like.
8. Serve over pasta, rice or crusty bread.

Have fun!

Edited by Kiddo Green 8/12/2008 2:36 AM
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/12/2008 7:47 AM (#9032 - in reply to #8672)

PhD Alumni

overwhelmed by the deliciousness here x
mruppert
Posted 8/13/2008 2:09 AM (#9069 - in reply to #8672)

Well now,
     I am looking at the recipes and I know right away that none of you are chefs, as the French say. True, that I knew Julia Child, because I worked for Public Television for many years, and she autographed many of her books for me...maybe I'll put them on Ebay..nah....I want them to always be mine...but we got to eat the things that she made at the end of her shows. We learned that there is, indeed, a breakfast wine.
     What I learned is technique, but not recipes. As, you use what you have to maximize taste and flavor, no matter how humble the ingredients are.
      I read another post about chicken soup.....and that was nice.....but to make a good chicken soup you throw stuff in a big pot and cook it.....it is that simple! It always comes out good...because it is chicken and love.
     To me, cooking is like an artist with a blank canvas and a pallette of ingredients. I must paint the canvas with a pleasing sight, scent, and taste. I could tell you good things to make, but could not for the life of me tell you how to do it...for instance, I am going to make Lablabi (spellings vary) a dish that comes from Africa, and Tunisians favor this for breakfast of all things...but I know the ingredients...and though I have no recipe, I will match mine against the best chef in Tunis. Simply because he and I are one....one in the brotherhood of the stove.

Peace, Asalaamah,
Marty and Carthaginian Cats, Luckylee Barta, Poppyhead Barta, and Sissygirl Scipio
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/13/2008 5:00 AM (#9075 - in reply to #9069)

PhD Alumni

Wow Marty - so you mean you don't scrape off the mucky scum when the chicken has come to a boil ? And you put the meat and veg in at the same time ... ?

... Dear Cara & dear Lori - I will just have to have Marty's share of your wonderful-sounding repasts then .... Mmm !x

Back to my wheat-free bread, non-cow's milk cheese & water (Adam's Ale, as some call it ........)

... and that brotherhood of the stove thing Marty, is that anything to do with DocJ and the possibility of everyone being on the point of spontaneous combustion ? (ha ha - the 'a little favour' thread refers)

Edited by Paul Joseph 8/13/2008 5:04 AM
instinctual
Posted 8/13/2008 11:34 AM (#9077 - in reply to #8672)

PhD Alumni

Oh, Marty - I have a special soup just for you! Come here, my little pretty!
instinctual
Posted 8/13/2008 12:39 PM (#9086 - in reply to #8672)

PhD Alumni

Cara...Holy Soul Food, Bat Lady! That looks like a winner to me....incredible!!!! I have to do that one up for sure, thank you! I have printed it and it proudly rests on my fridge door! It reminds me of the old world southern Italian type of cooking..very red, very rustic..my all time favorite type of food....My first husband's family did the real traditional stuff, especially on Catholic holidays, Easter, Christmas, etc...stewed Rabbit ( never touched it, thanks very much)..braised bragiolle, (sp?) dropping whole eggs into the simmering pot of sauce..home made sausages, and of course the fishes on Christmas Eve....all these sauces served over made from scratch pastas....home baked breads...I feel like I need to diet/fast just by reading this thread!!!!!!

MMMMM I hear you about the kitchen, too, Cara..and how you communed with your mother in law through food. It is our communion, so to speak. In my home, it happens to be the biggest room in the house, we all eat together, every night, which is rather fortunate in these times and I consider that a blessing...that we always eat dinner together and on Sunday we will have a big meal about 4 PM, and laze around. I admit that sometimes we don't even sit down!!!! (except on Sunday)...We just hover around the stove, LOL..! Funny...just a bad if not hilarious habit...Saturday everyone is free to roam, as that tends to be the day that we eat out somewhere, just the hubmeister and myself...Also, my house tends to be the Home For My Children's Wayward Friends And Friends Of Friends....which makes it that much more, um...shall we say, rich! Food does indeed bring people together. Thanks for a great thread, my friend
xo to all!
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/13/2008 3:13 PM (#9108 - in reply to #9086)

PhD Alumni

That mean there won't be enough for me then ?

Ho hum, back to climbing trees for honey in the woods ...

instinctual
Posted 8/13/2008 6:44 PM (#9122 - in reply to #8672)

PhD Alumni

Oh no, plenty for you Sir Paul...because you will appreciate it! Marty can eat the scrapings of old food off of his cook books, I am sure that will be plenty for him!

ha

Ha

HA!

~~~
instinctual
Posted 8/13/2008 8:27 PM (#9127 - in reply to #8672)

PhD Alumni

Because of my paranoid Catholic guilt ridden background, I feel the need to add this disclaimer to the previous post:

I say this in jest, and because Marty who does not love havarti can dish it out, I thought it would be playful to see if he could take it! ( I have a sense he can ) !!!

Well..Maybe you do love havarti, Marty, but only if it is not made in Wisconsin.

Go Huskies!

mruppert
Posted 8/13/2008 11:10 PM (#9129 - in reply to #8672)

No skin......no scum! And waaay less cholesterol!

Just made a Portabella Mushroomy dish that I served with  pasta.
Almost totally veggie, except I used some no salt beef stock to fortify the sauce, with not a hint....but a hit of rosemary. Man, that was good! The girlies didn't like it.....they preferred their Sophisticat "Captains Table Entree" which (to me) looks and smells like all the other stuff they eat...uh, this one has a little more gravy....Poppy sticks her head in the can to lick it all up and gets stuck....she is not my brightest sun on the horizon!
Now, as to the matter of Havarti......I am fine, how are you??
Seriously, I love all cheeses, and particulary Land O' Lakes (not necessarily the brand, but the place). Wissss has got the cheesehead thing, and I am down with it!

And, in closing, we come to some profound issues.......my allegiance is to my school, so I say "Fear the Turtle"....doesn't that just sound so ridiculous! We gotta dumb tortoise for a mascot!!!! Next, I go with any Catholic school vs an opponent, which makes it difficult when we play Boston College, whom God gave the "Hail Mary Pass" to by divine intervention. For those of you who do not believe in miracles, go on YouTube and watch Doug Flutie throw the "Hail Mary" against Miama (another one of the Turtles foes)...and enjoy instant miracle!!!
Third, I go with if I like their uniforms and helmets......which is why I hate all teams from Oregon.....and last.....I go with the mascots....AND I HAPPEN TO LIKE THE HUSKIES...beautiful gorgeous dogs!!!!! Unless they play the COUGARS....CATPOWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marty Havarti and Rocquefort Cats, Lucky, Poopy and SyssiGirl
Rose
Posted 8/14/2008 8:04 PM (#9197 - in reply to #9024)

Student

I like this recipe for Italian Sauce....and it calls for Fresh Rosemary! Yummy!
Rose
Posted 8/14/2008 8:06 PM (#9198 - in reply to #9017)

Student

I just read your recipe instinctual...Now I'm getting hungry and in the mood for cooking up something very gourmet!

I'm going to get the kitchen completely spotless and ready for Chef A La Rose....
Rose
Posted 8/14/2008 8:12 PM (#9199 - in reply to #9069)

Student

ArmyT....like that? How many names can we make out of MARTY...

Did you see the article Julia Childs was a spy? I laughed so hard....maybe so but what was she selling to the other side? Our great American Recipes?

Greatest kept secrets "How Americans make Turkey taste so good....."they buy Butterball"....another top secret that we all know is well kept "How Americans make wonderful Hamburgers...."they pay a clown to make them, his name is.......top secret clearance needed to get this one....Ronald McDonald. I'm sure the French paid her top dollar for that sort of information. I absolutely love to watch the old Julia cook shows...

instinctual
Posted 8/14/2008 10:02 PM (#9201 - in reply to #8672)

PhD Alumni

haha! Chef a la Rose! Love it! Gee I didn't even realize I was still logged in, I left the house over 2 hours ago and just got back! Cook up a storm friend..tonight just a quick salad here...

hey..I heard about the 14 students and 1 teacher that are missing in the Gila forest area ( not sure of the name it it ) in NM? How frightening and horrible for all involved...I hope there is a quick resolution...
Kiddo Green
Posted 8/15/2008 12:50 AM (#9202 - in reply to #8672)

Wow! I didn't think this post would bring up any rivalry. GOes to show youwhat I know! Anyway, food is a passion of mine. As Lori so delighfully put it, it brings people together. And, I too love to bring the 'strays' who are in need of a good meal. My bachelor friends were always champing at the bit, waiting for an invitation to dinner years ago. Not so much these days with my demure little family. I think I was trying to satisfy an urge to feed a family. So, I created one with friends with I could dine.

Anyway, there is always plenty of good eating Chez Kiddo and you are all welcome. The food is hot and the conversation heated!

ANd, Lori, too true with the So. Italian eats! My father's family hails from Chicago (by way of Calabria and Puglia) though he spent many years in Phoenix and San Francisco. All my aunties (of which there must be dozens) would push food into our little faces. All homemade: ravioli, sausages, bragiole, osso bucco, cannoli, you name it.

P.S. Just made two large stockpots full of sauce for upcoming birthday party. My dad was very excited to see all of burns going!
Kiddo Green
Posted 8/15/2008 1:01 AM (#9203 - in reply to #8672)

And, Marty, I would venture to say that I would put any of these Old World grannies up to Julia Childs in a heartbeat. I remember one of my friend's grandmothers teaching me how to make strudel and other treats one Easter. SHe barely spoke English; she was Slovenian. We worked all 6 or 7 of us in a small kitchen until we had made enough strudel and sweets and other delicacies for a party of 60 people. We then roasted 2 lambs on spits on an open fire in the backyard.

Did Julia do this on her show? In Slovenian??? With a group of budding springtime maidens as the young boys darted in and out of the kitchen to catch a glimpse of what was going on? This old crone was a true queen!

I miss those days!
instinctual
Posted 8/15/2008 12:48 PM (#9241 - in reply to #8672)

PhD Alumni

Oh Boy! Yes, love the playful banter going on here, in a net of safety and caring!!! You tell him, Cara! Oh, Marty..is it true what we heard last night ( after all, everything you see on TV is true, right )? that Julia Child was also into espionage? Also, if we ever get the opportunity to be together, I will have to demonstrate my award winning imitation of Julia Child's "This is Julia Child. Bon Appetit"!!! Seriously, in homage to this force of nature known as Julia and with thanks to public television who helped launch her to the general public, I am grateful...because that was the beginning of a beautiful connection between the homemaker and a classically trained French chef. It sparked a huge interest in cooking, and launched itself into inspiration for many of us. . . as well as for TV networks who primarily demonstrate the art of cooking! That being said I do not think that you can compare a classically trained culinary master to generations of communing over food, generations of families coming together, recipes being passed down, and over, through marriage and friendship...one is not better than the next, so to speak, each has it's own beauty and meaning. We are all masters of our own kitchens.

Coq au Vin in every pot!

Herbert Hoover
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/15/2008 1:16 PM (#9247 - in reply to #9241)

PhD Alumni

Who is Julia Childs please ? And where is Gila Forest ?

So much to keep up with ... !!

Time for Tea, I think .. oh no, past tea time already ...

Edited by Paul Joseph 8/15/2008 1:20 PM
instinctual
Posted 8/15/2008 1:30 PM (#9252 - in reply to #8672)

PhD Alumni

Julia Child is a ( was ) a fabulous French Chef who has been made famous through public television...she is known best also for her uh..frequent nips in the sauce, shall we say...and had a personality larger than life, along with a very distinctive voice!
instinctual
Posted 8/15/2008 2:31 PM (#9253 - in reply to #8672)

PhD Alumni

Oh sorry to Cara and Paul as I neglected to respond to points you both raised. The Gila (not sure if it is a national forest, or what have you ) is in New Mexico where this week students and their teacher were reported missing...any news on that, Rose? Gonna check it out myself, too...

And Cara last but not least, Southern Italy! No wonder we connect, girl! My father's people hail from Salerno...

Paul Joseph
Posted 8/15/2008 5:19 PM (#9263 - in reply to #9253)

PhD Alumni

Aah, so that's why we had dinner in an Italian restaurant tonight !!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2016 PD9 Software