University Of Metaphysical Sciences
University Of Metaphysical Sciences ->  General Public -> Metaphysics Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Reflection on Time
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Public -> Metaphysics DiscussionMessage format

Paul Joseph
Posted 7/23/2008 4:13 AM (#7616)
Subject: Reflection on Time

PhD Alumni

This thread has been evoked by other posts about the nature of time ... The following sums some of the issues quite well, i thought, and demonstrates how long the peculiarities of the concept of time has been under discussion - from the most ancient of teachings in the Vedas ...

" The Western concept of time as a uniform linear scale ticked off by the hands of a clock is ridiculous, crippled. We all know better than that. One minute in the dentist's chair is a lot longer than one minute with our favorite friend. Why? Because our experience of time is inextricably linked with the quality of our consciousness.

If we observe our consciousness carefully we will find that it goes through regular and predictable patterns beginning with waking, sleeping and dreaming, hunger and thirst. The longer you observe these interactions, the more you will see there are definite patterns and cycles. There are monthly and annual patterns of thoughts feelings and consciousness, and if we keep a diary we can come to understand our bigger cycles. These patterns are the interactions of time with our consciousness.

Jyotish is the Vedic science of patterns and cycles of time, and their influence on consciousness.

Jyotish is inseparable from the context of Vedic philosophy, which teaches that the individual living entity is an eternal spiritual being, transcendental to this material world and similar in quality to God, who has become covered by a temporary material body and mind and conditioned by material qualities and time. In other words we are in a trap; therefore the primary duty of human life is to extricate ourselves from this trap and return to our original eternal identity, form and home in the spiritual world. "
Top of the page Bottom of the page
mruppert
Posted 7/24/2008 3:04 AM (#7652 - in reply to #7616)
Subject: RE: Reflection on Time

Hi PJ:
     I really could care less about vedic or any other esoteric concepts of time. What I have discussed is "actual" time, the time that we know in our feeble way of measuring it.
     So, tell me, when did the clock start? At the big bang? Then what time was it before the big bang? When there is zero point state and all motion has stopped, what time is it for those entities who have no motion? When an atom is shot through a cesium chamber and the atom reaches the other side before the observer (register) sees it...what time is it? Is the observer seeing the past? Or has the atom gone into the future? (Done twice at Lawrence Livermore Lab and UCal-Berserkly...I have tampered with the name of a great univerisity...home of Dr. Timothy Leary.)
      I am talking about the very fabric of time, the essence of what it really is. Quantum mechanics proves much of what I say, but still I have the TOS and String Theory Guys trying to explain time as a co-relative of gravity. But, their Black Holes and Worm Holes have nothing to do with it.

Peace and Eternity,
Marty and Quantum Cats, Luckyquark, Poppycharm, and Sissystrange
Paul Joseph
Posted 7/24/2008 3:57 AM (#7655 - in reply to #7652)

PhD Alumni

Marty, did you mean, 'could NOT care less' ?

Sounds like we are saying similar things here ...
Paul Joseph
Posted 11/12/2008 4:56 PM (#12359 - in reply to #7655)

PhD Alumni

Jody, here is an example of an earlier thread about time ... there are others down there/here in the fusty vaults !
Tracy
Posted 11/12/2008 5:52 PM (#12363 - in reply to #7616)

Student

Reflection on Ticking Clocks and Time Bombs

at 13 I heard the cuckoo clock raise innumerable spirit voices,
to mock me and sneer at me when my fever left me no choices,
but to believe the illusion of time: ticking ticking ticking
in its cold and loveless sticking, pricking, clicking.
since then these small increments of time and measure
have left me bereft of some unknown worldly pleasure.
still now, ever quiet, there is a timeless space found
in between the breathing of the silent sound.
searching
Posted 11/12/2008 8:44 PM (#12365 - in reply to #7616)

Regular

Interesting. i have been studing a great deal of Einsteins theories on time and adverse affects of the parodox of space-time. it is interesting that the now is only relevent in relative motion. the now here is not the now elsewhere. but the past or the future. if light speed is the constant and does not have to obey the law of relative motion, and can alter time even to the point of alternate dimensions of a parodox, then how can "true time" even exist? Cosmologist fred Hoyle suggest that it is consciousness that gives us a sense of the passage of time, and therefore it is only an illusion of our mind. i use to belive that time was an explenation of the now in motion, but as i learn more about the true "now" i have started to question even that. well i will finish my reading and add more of what i find as soon as i can.
Jody
Posted 11/13/2008 1:22 AM (#12366 - in reply to #12359)

Student

Paul Joseph - 11/12/2008 4:56 PM

Jody, here is an example of an earlier thread about time ... there are others down there/here in the fusty vaults !

Thank you. I also have a hard time understanding time, but I am trying.

I believe the below is similar to what you quoted from the article link you posted.

In A Course In Miracles, Chapter 5, VI. Time and Eternity, 1st paragraph, starting at the 4th passage it says: "You have elected to be in time rather than eternity, and therefore believe you are in time. Yet your election is both free and alterable. You do not belong in time Your place is only in eternity, where God Himself placed you forever."

If this is true then we are here using time because we want to, we can measure it because we made it. But I am assuming that because time is alterable then it must be an illusion. I know from personal experience that there are glitches in linear time, and some of these glitches can be quite profound.

I have not heard of Vedic Astrology before and the article you posted is very interesting. I'll look through other discussions in regards to time. Thank you for bumping this thread up.
Paul Joseph
Posted 11/13/2008 4:27 AM (#12376 - in reply to #7616)

PhD Alumni

Thanks Kiddo dear - but I cannot accept the praise, responsibility, or otherwise ! i merely associated to the 'Pendulum of Emoitnoal Extremes' thread in a lateral way, and Jody's reply made me think back to our many discussions here on Time, etc (and there were others than this, but I could not remember where they all were ... anyway, this may have been enough to start the clock ticking again - hopefully not a time bomb Tracy x!)

& great ACIM quote Jody

Edited by Paul Joseph 11/13/2008 4:27 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2016 PD9 Software