University Of Metaphysical Sciences
University Of Metaphysical Sciences ->  General Public -> Metaphysics Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Metaphysical Attire: do clothes maketh the person ?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Public -> Metaphysics DiscussionMessage format

Paul Joseph
Posted 7/21/2008 7:42 AM (#7501)
Subject: Metaphysical Attire: do clothes maketh the person ?

PhD Alumni

Dear All

Just wondering if any thoughts on this ... I regularly find deciding what to wear difficult (there is an old Leonard Cohen sleeve note (no pun intended!) where he says something like, 'that was in the days when it took me half a day deciding on what to wear').

Do we dress up, or do we dress down; should the occasion determine what we wear, or should our inner mood? Do we go with colour resonations, etc ?

In my job I may need to meet a homeless person one minute, so would not wish to make them feel I was trying to look superior ('not look too good, nor talk too wise ' - Kipling's If !) ... yet another minute I may need to be meeting with the echelon of society that only respects suits and ties ...

Now I have another layer of complication, with UMS ordination, should I wear something that draws attention to my metaphysicality ? If so, what cuold that be ?!! Should I wear a clerical collar ? Might English Anglican/Methodists think me over-claiming their religious vestment attire ? 'Dog' collars equally can make peolpe feel excluded ...

Dress, what we wear, when we wear it, has long been a question for me ... I even wondered once about writing an academic paper on it ...

And whilst on this topic, do you in USA - or NZ - or elsewhere have something there which are recent developments here, shoes that describe themselves as 'MBT' , or, Masai Barefoot Technology - alleging that these are better for our posture and backs than other traditional shoes ... wondered whether anyone had any knowledge of this, as it realtes to physical health , etc ..

Interested in perspectives on these ... Blessings
Paul

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Supernatural3
Posted 7/21/2008 11:05 AM (#7513 - in reply to #7501)
Subject: RE: Metaphysical Attire: do clothes maketh the person ?

PhD Alumni

I dress comfortable. Most my clothes are from very inexpensive places too. I have to dress in a fashion for profession, so it's rare I am in Jeans.

However, dressing up makes you FEEL better in most cases. Go with a happy medium once again.
If I could get away with wearing sweat pants all the time, i would do it. Unfortunately, my clients wouldn't expect to pay for my services if I looked that way. If I look at least a little on the classy side, it also produces the one-ups manship. (Better for the my career as a hypnotist). So I guess it all comes down to what is it you are trying to do, and are you talking about career?

Balance.....
Paul Joseph
Posted 7/21/2008 12:54 PM (#7515 - in reply to #7513)

PhD Alumni

Dear DocJ thanks for response, do I detect a pun here - 'happy medium' ? as in , happy Medium !!??

strange sense of humour mine ..
instinctual
Posted 7/21/2008 4:30 PM (#7528 - in reply to #7501)

PhD Alumni

Hi Paul and Doc and all...

In thinking about this, I realize that I hate fashion! I mean, let me rephrase...I like looking good and nicely put together, not in terms of runway standards ( HAHAHA ) but in terms of what colors and tones are reflecting my mood...I don't think I own anything that is not cotton or natural fabric..I like to mix and match..and that makes me think that it is probably much more difficult for men to be able to go from setting to setting like you must do in one day, Paul...
I have never heard of MBT, but seems intriguing, as I am barefoot as we speak, cannot tolerate shoes that must be tied ( such a nuisance ) but I would imagine there is something to it, as perhaps we would have been created with shoes if they were meant for more than protection!

Unfortunately, society dictates appropriate wear...in various settings,however makes me think of my 2 older kids in 8 years of Catholic school and how lucky we all were that they had uniforms to wear. No conflict, no muss, no fuss....perhaps we should just all don clokes, different colors indicate different levels of advancement... haha!
mruppert
Posted 7/21/2008 11:25 PM (#7544 - in reply to #7501)

Lorrieeeeee,
     My first year at Catholic U.....we had to wear ties to class, and the girls had to wear skirts, and hose.
     The very next year, we are radicalized....the war was on full force and CU had gone through it's own controversy, in the firing of Father Curran, who said that abortion must be, not advocated, but discussed in our classrooms, as it is a fact of life in this society.
None other than the Pope, at that time, told the University (as we were a pontifical university, one of the few) that he must be fired and that the students had nothing to say about this. We went on strike and shut the university down.
What does the Pope do? He strips us of our "pontifical" designation (Big Whoop) and threatens to excommunicate us.
Ah well, they did fire him.
But, I always like one particular Saturday Night Live show, when Sinead O'Connor sings, and then holds up a picture of the Pope at that time, and says "here's the real criminal"...because, in my mind, she was absolutley right.....and I am Roman Catholic, and proud to be so. But my Catholicism is not the same as the Popes. Mine goes back to more ancient roots, where we had more than one god....and we DID!

Peace and Love,
Marty and CatholicCats, Luck, Popp, and Sissssss
Paul Joseph
Posted 7/22/2008 4:37 AM (#7568 - in reply to #7544)

PhD Alumni

Thanks for replies... and empathy, Marty ... yes, dress is a problem ... i kind of thought it is an interesting topic for us M-p's as we ( all) manifest externally what we internally feel xx

Black often feels a very powerful statement (I am aware here of the ums course on colours too)
Kiddo Green
Posted 7/31/2008 1:56 AM (#8060 - in reply to #7501)

I think this is an interesting topic indeed. We do live in a material world. And, we are sensory beings, that is we are stimulated by our sight, hearing, smell, touch and of course our extrasensory perception.

So, our material world has indoctrinated us into thinking we should be a certain way and those ways may very from culture to culture and subculture to subculture, but what is universal is that humans like to be beautiful, men and women. And, they like to be perceived as beautiful or attractive to others.

I have to honest; I do really value nice clothing. (Not trying to be snobbish, it is just the truth.) What do I like? UNDERSTATED ELEGANCE and natural fabrics. This doesn't have a price tag or a particular design or color.

But, to summarize, it is important to wear clothing that is appropriate for the occasion AND congruent with one's personality. It is also important to consider your audience. Is it important to make and impression? Or simply to get the job done?

For example, if you live in a tree-huggy kind of commnunity, burkes and flowy over-sized scarfy clothing works. It doesn't go over so well in other places. I wouldn't wear into a court of law in Washinton, D.C. You had better don a navy suit or some other stodgy get-up. Comprenez-vous?

So, should it match the insides? Yes, ideally. I mean that it should suit your personality.

I think our mood automatically reflects in our appearance and how we perceive ourselves. Think about it. "the power suit" WE are trying to project, power and strength, and we are hoping that others will think we are are. at least, we are wearing the uniform that says we are a member of the insecure-wannabe-moving-up-the-glass-ceiling-corporate-ladder club. (And, yes, Marty, I was one of those Catholic school girls all the way through grad school. I also wore the power suits, hose and pumps *rolling eyes*. I am over it.)

I have long used clothing/make-up to hide my mood. I have also used my clothing to try to change my mood. When I am really down or insecure, I usually dress up more. Somehow, it helps. Maybe, I am attention seeking? Who knows. What I do know is that is when I do this is it usually followed by a long period of slovenly appearance. I am usually depressed or ruminating over something. When I decide enough is enough, is when I 'pretty myself up' and leave the house. So, I do know that there is a direct correlation between my appearance and my mood.

Today, I am a stay-at-home mom. I wear sweats, Borns (shoes), and have short hair and no jewelry. I feel so utilitarian, it's scary. But, it suits my lifestyle.
Kiddo Green
Posted 7/31/2008 2:13 AM (#8061 - in reply to #7501)

Oh, one more comment. Something I deal with frequently with newer students of wicca and pagan traditions...

Many newbies like to don pentacles, and t-shirts that tell the world who they are and what they believe. My husband is really bothered by this. (He doesn't follow any particular faith.) I know that it is just part of the process for them. Similar to when adolescents make radical changes to their clothing style and hair. They need to set themselves apart physically (externally) to feel different internally. It is as if they need someone else to say,'hey you are are different!" for them to believe it themselves. Heidegger comes to mind...

More recently, I have seen all sorts of banners of religious affilititations. Christian (and I mean more than usual), Muslim, Sikh, etc. It is strange to think that there are so many people who feel that they need to tell everyone else that they 'belong'.

Personally, I don't like to wear any markers of my beliefs. My faith is in my heart, nothing more.
Kiddo Green
Posted 7/31/2008 2:31 AM (#8062 - in reply to #7501)

Whoops! I mean What I do know is that is when I do this is it usually preceded by a long period of slovenly appearance.
Paul Joseph
Posted 7/31/2008 4:04 AM (#8067 - in reply to #8062)

PhD Alumni

Dear Cara

Thanks for your most considered and thoughtful replies ... today I am in jans and tea shirt as i am going to our Day Centre for Homeless People and did not want to look like man in black ... interesting abuot religious adonrments, as there is a recent court case here of a Sikh (I think) girl being permited to wera her braceletr in school ... so it is a very 'live' issue ...

Blessed Be
Paul

Kiddo Green
Posted 8/1/2008 1:51 AM (#8132 - in reply to #7501)

yes, that is interesting, indeed. I do know that in youth pysch hospital, kids can not wear any sort of t shirts with messages or symbols either. they need to remain as neutral as possible. this is difficult for teens in general who 'need' to express themselves. this is their stage of development, for chissakes. I think the concept was born out of gang affiliation problems in California and has been taken too far. people forget the inportance of youth's need to belong and be accepted. Unfortunately, it sounds like the bracelet did not fit society's list of acceptable markers of affiliation. Let me ask you this: would the school ban a crucifix?
sunflower
Posted 8/1/2008 3:05 AM (#8133 - in reply to #8067)

Elite Veteran

paulo,whats jans,is that a new fashion in the uk,was there to be an e,i think many wear certain clothes to stroke,show off,their ego,for instance,many will wear nothing but brand names,even though there are much much cheaper versions in the high street,but they wouldn,t be seen dead in them,its got to be designer label,therefore making an ego statement,look at me.Similarly,people in certain jobs,go for such,because of the uniform,when donned,it makes them feel and act powerful,they hide behind the uniform,it gives them power,so they imagine,i think that is also an ego thing,take off the uniform,and there is usualy a weak,insecure being behind.Personaly,i like colour,what i go for instintively,i.e.should i open my wardrobe,and be drawn to a certain colour,that is what i wear,as,that colour,subconciously,is what i need,the next day,i may look at that same favoured garment,and not like that colour,therefore,my person,has had enough,for what was needed,colour healing,practiced daily by all,subconsiously.Also there is the phycological approach,as when the sun shines,we all feel better,mentaly,etc,so it is with our dress,the darker the colour the darker the mood,the brighter we feel,the brighter the colour,which can also be our bodies way of telling us what we need,but the mind doesn,t always listen.Okay,i actualy like black,e,g the usual short black dress,with a colour accessory,i also love gypsy dresses,and no shoes,always no shoes,hate them,but do wear outside,hahah,i laugh at my going on.One more thing,i find it hard to understand,no disrespect,why say christians wear crosses,i.e.jesus on the cross,nailed to it,is this not a bit cruel,showing him in painwouldn,t he rather be shown shining in white light surrounding.Going,going,gone.irisx
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/1/2008 3:44 AM (#8134 - in reply to #8133)

PhD Alumni

Cruxifixes have been banned... and there have been court cases about that too ... but I cannot remember where the state of the law is on it, except with this latest ruling, I should think they cannot be banned ...

As for 'jans' oh my golly gosh, that is my speed-typingtiredstresseddyslexia creeping in ... of course i mant, Jinns, wearing Jinns is always good, around the house out of doors, or in visitng temples ... Ha they can also assist if we need a wish or three ... Jinns may be the new black ... !!

your attire Sunflowerpetalblossombeam sounds very nice

Visiting temples reminds me of a prayer someone gave to me once:

Dear Lord(or Lady)

Pardon my three sins - in contemplation I have clothed Thee who art formless;

in prayer i have spoken to Thee who art ineffable;

and in visiting temples I have ignored Thine omnipresence

Namaste
sunflower
Posted 8/1/2008 4:03 AM (#8139 - in reply to #8134)

Elite Veteran

yeh,i,m comfortable in jans n ta shirt,roond hoose.I thought it was mad illegal,now in force,to wear a cross,or any from of thing,2 tired to explin,why do you think they couldn,t enforce it,i mean how,etc,oh here igo,etc,duh,i think the whole thing is being ridiculous,whomakes these rules,why can,t we wear what we want,big bro is taking over,i rebel,freedom is mine,i,ll b locked up now,you,ll see me on t news,"woman in neck brace,wearing several items of religious jewelery,in designer fake clothes,hanging on to bed rail,while chanting om off,to police seargent"haha,such is life,sound like a teen rebel,maybe i am,in a nice way,irisx
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/1/2008 4:27 AM (#8149 - in reply to #8139)

PhD Alumni

Dear Sunflower - sounds to me like you are a Fashionista !! See you on the catwalks ...
Kiddo Green
Posted 8/1/2008 5:18 AM (#8159 - in reply to #7501)

hahaha! lol. I like fashion, but I like comfort. Each to his own, right? I still stand by my statements that the attire must suit the person and his/her lifestyle, personality and work.

Oh, on color: I used to be one of theose black wearing peeps. I gave it up years ago. I prefer to wear bright lively colors. Who wants to look at something drab? I want to reflect light and color, not absorb it. That;s my belief anyway.
sunflower
Posted 8/1/2008 5:47 AM (#8165 - in reply to #8149)

Elite Veteran

mmm?
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/1/2008 5:55 AM (#8166 - in reply to #8165)

PhD Alumni

'mmm?' ? Is that a Humm ?

I had read that some healers wear black because they believe it contains (ie, holds and restrains) negative energy.

Feels a bit like that to me too .

I veer between rainbows, white and black. Or grey.
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/1/2008 5:55 AM (#8167 - in reply to #8165)

PhD Alumni

'mmm?' ? Is that a Humm ?

I had read that some healers wear black because they believe it contains (ie, holds and restrains) negative energy.

Feels a bit like that to me too .

I veer between rainbows, white and black. Or grey.

Gandalf the Grey
Chotuni
Posted 8/1/2008 9:19 AM (#8184 - in reply to #8159)

Regular

Batman drab?? you are kidding Kiddo

Edited by Chotuni 8/1/2008 9:23 AM
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/1/2008 9:28 AM (#8185 - in reply to #8184)

PhD Alumni

Look a bit weird coming to work with underpants outside our trousers and wearing a cape though ... mind you a rocket powered car might help me get up North .. in the old DC comics he wore blue and grey.
Chotuni
Posted 8/1/2008 9:34 AM (#8188 - in reply to #8185)

Regular

How times change
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/1/2008 9:38 AM (#8191 - in reply to #8188)

PhD Alumni

Yet everything stays the same.

Mao Tse Tung: History never changes, only its texture.

Ecclesiastes: There is nothing new under the sun; vanity vanity, all is vanity
Chotuni
Posted 8/1/2008 10:10 AM (#8198 - in reply to #8191)

Regular

Mao was right then, that's maybe why Batman wears different textures now
sunflower
Posted 8/1/2008 2:02 PM (#8208 - in reply to #8159)

Elite Veteran

whoa,whats peeps then,kidda,lots of lovely people like to look at something of beauty in black,others turn away at look at me bright,here i am egos,plus designer,double ego,nothing quite like black velvet,the feel,comforting,and so protective.As the welsh would say,tyn ben mawr,tyn geg mawr,dim calon gwyn.
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2016 PD9 Software