University Of Metaphysical Sciences
University Of Metaphysical Sciences ->  General Public -> Questions About UMS -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Another Question about the degree
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Public -> Questions About UMSMessage format

Dusty
Posted 7/19/2008 11:30 PM (#7453)
Subject: Another Question about the degree

Okay, I have a degree in Information Technology from a University in Colorado. My question is, whenever I apply for jobs in the IT field, they of course have to run education background checks in order to confirm your education. Now, my question is, would this type of a degree even show up in an education background check? or is it something you have to actually tell them that you have a degree in?? Personally I probably wouldn't want it to show up, as I'm not too sure how a potential employer would view metaphysical degrees in additional to an IT degree. I mean, if it doesn't show up, it's not a problem, because I just won't list it on my resume. Just asking as I still haven't decided if I want any type of a career change relating to these degrees, other than perhaps maybe holding classes at a local unity church or something like that. thoughts on this?

Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
mruppert
Posted 7/20/2008 12:26 AM (#7456 - in reply to #7453)
Subject: RE: Another Question about the degree

Hi Duster:
     I can answer this from my perspective.
     I work for USM, not UMS!  We are the state university system, with 11 degree granting institutions and 2 research facilities.  Should you apply for an IT job, we generally require a BA or BS degree, from an accredited college or university. If you list a credential that fulfills that requirement, we do check, and request a transcript. If you list a non accredited credential, we would reject your application. If you list both, we disregard the non-accredited credential.
      If your MA or MS degree was awarded by a non accredited school you would not be eligible for the 5K bonus salary increase, that advanced degree holders are offered, as long as the degree comes from an accredited institution.
      More to your question...don't tell people things they don't need to know. Stress your skillsets, and past employment achievements. Unless, of course, you are seeking to be a minister...then you may well want to mention such a degree, BUT, be SURE that it has bearing on the qualifiers for the job at hand.
      Finally, what I have said has no negative reflection on UMS, I believe it to be a fine place for study of things in the metaphysical realm, and you would have great difficulty finding that in the so-called "academic" arena. I strongly recommend the school. But, do not do what John Gray did, and that is to overtly deceive people as to the nature of his PhD; which came from a correspondence school of somewhat notorious reputation. But, then again, what does he care....he made a ton of money from several books........but, do you notice that he doesn't write anymore??????

With best wishes,
Marty Ruppert, that is my real name, and, yes, you can Google it and see what I say is true!

Dusty
Posted 7/20/2008 12:48 AM (#7459 - in reply to #7456)
Subject: RE: Another Question about the degree

Hi Mr Ruppert, Thank you so much for your reply. So I guess you are saying that these online degrees from non-accredited metaphysical colleges won't show up on your education background check. Well, that's fine with me .....

Wow, never knew that about John Grey, that's too bad...Although, his book "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" is brilliant...My relationships with women have all been better since reading that book, and I have many friends that have stated the same thing. It's too bad he had to lie, as he obviously had the creativity and insight to write such a good book without having to lie.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2016 PD9 Software