University Of Metaphysical Sciences
University Of Metaphysical Sciences ->  General Public -> Metaphysics Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My favourite metaphysician
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Public -> Metaphysics DiscussionMessage format

Paul Joseph
Posted 7/15/2008 10:52 AM (#7246)
Subject: My favourite metaphysician

PhD Alumni

Lori and I have come up with this as a good thread to super-nova out on .... could be metaphysician or spiritual leader, or warrior (in whichever way you interpret that) ... and what makes them your favourite ... examples from their lives too would be good ...

Blessings
Paul

Top of the page Bottom of the page
instinctual
Posted 7/15/2008 10:57 AM (#7250 - in reply to #7246)
Subject: RE: My favourite metaphysician

PhD Alumni

OK, so to repost, for me my top 2 are

Mother Theresa: Especially after she was interviewed 20 years before her death and she said in not these words but ' I am not sure if I buy this '..yet she continued to live in the spirit of Jesus...the personified example of Blind Faith.

Ammachi: Love. Pure Love, Zero Motives. Just hugging and healing all over the world. Really very interested in all the current global issues and targets those areas for healings..
Tracy Martin
Posted 7/15/2008 11:48 AM (#7253 - in reply to #7246)

Alumni

Ramana Maharshi ~ Who are you? Really? Really?

Ammachi ~ When her eyes met mine I melted in love.

Echart Tolle ~ What a silly laugh he has right now!

Byron Katie ~ Is that true? Absolutely true?

To be really honest though, my favorite metaphysicians/spiritual transformers are YOU and me!

Paul Joseph
Posted 7/15/2008 5:40 PM (#7257 - in reply to #7253)

PhD Alumni

Yes quite so Tracy; that's what sparked this thread from the DiY thread ....

.... the divine metaphysician in us all, actualized, potential, invisible, dormant, suppressed, or repressed ....

the eternal longing of the heart for the soul, and the soul for the Self ...xxx
instinctual
Posted 7/15/2008 5:48 PM (#7258 - in reply to #7246)

PhD Alumni

Oh Eckart Tolle is charmingly adorable, and yes..quite a giggle!!

Nicely said, Tracy and Paul..and speaking of Amma,

Tracy, you have met her? Oh that must have been amazing....where were you?
Paul Joseph
Posted 7/15/2008 6:40 PM (#7259 - in reply to #7258)

PhD Alumni

Another perspective:

We cannot know really, who our favourite metaphysician is, in truth, for two reasons; not every metaphysician writes or propounds;

next, because we change, and who might touch us at one stage of our life, may mean nothing to us at another; or vice ver'sa; we discover new truth as we unfold.

On of my favourites was Brother Ian Scott, now deceased, Society of St Francis (Anglican); I have a poem on him somewhere. He was trained as a chemist, heard the voice of God, took to the roads, became a Franciscan friar, then lived amongst the homeless destitute of Glasgow, London's West and East End, before dying in Edinburgh, worn out by the Spirit.

Bro Ian would have liked this dicing with the demise of the web-site, as he would say, there is nothing, but Nothing - and Love; God is all and nothing - and pure Love; the God of Good and Evil - yet always chooses, Love. So let this be a fitting testament to him.

In case this site gets closed down anytime, I'll add a few more.

Also deceased, Nurunessa Chowdhury, poetess of Bengal, lover of Shelley and Tagore. Spiritual, and agonised by the demands of dying in life.

They are the little knowns. Others more well known, i shall just list for now:

Simone Weill (Gateway to God etc,), French mystic, born Jewish, converted to Christianity, first a Marxist; died during WWII after refusing to take more food in exile than was permitted to French under Nazi occupation, whilst yet working as hard as she could; 'Les Cahiers'.

A saint (unacknowledged): Raoul Wallenberg - Swedish diplomat at the outbreak of WWII who issued thousands of Swedish passports to help Jews flee the Nazis, only to be arrested and disappear into the Soviet Gulag, never to be heard of again ...

Meister Eckhart ... more said elsewhere, i shall not repeat here ...

Already gave others on the DiY post that triggered this ...so will not,as I say repeat ...

Shakespeare, most probably ...

Gandhi .....

See how I confuse action with inaction ?

There will be others, just late now ....
Rose
Posted 7/15/2008 7:19 PM (#7261 - in reply to #7250)

Student

I agree with Instinctual, she named two of my favorites and I missed Amma when she was here last but she serves on several boards for spiritual organizations and I suspect she will be traveling through here again soon.

We are rich in old traditions here and she said that's why she likes visiting us.

Love and Peace to all of you who pass through here...
Tracy Ann
Posted 7/15/2008 8:39 PM (#7262 - in reply to #7246)

My top favourite 3 are...

Jesus
Joel Goldsmith
Dr Murdo McDonald-Bayne.

I might explain in a later thread when Im not at work and have time.

cheers xx
Tracy Martin
Posted 7/15/2008 10:08 PM (#7263 - in reply to #7246)

Alumni

Yes, there are so many more! Heroes of Love!
I saw Amma in Bearsville, NY five years or so ago. I was standing too far back on the stairs, the farthest away from Amma. Her eyes captured mine for an eternal Now. I melted in love.
I had some water blessed by her when she was in California last year and experienced that same love.
          Jesus!
Maharishi Mahesh Yogi - in the 70's
William Law, an 18th century theologian
Buddha, Rumi, St. Francis, on an on, the Eternal Self manifesting, blossoming
Paul Joseph
Posted 7/16/2008 10:24 AM (#7266 - in reply to #7263)

PhD Alumni

Paramhansa Yogananda - Whispers from Eternity, Autobiography of a Yogi

Anonymous - The Cloud of Unknowing

Richard Rolle - The Fire of Love

Ralph Waldo Trine - In Tune with the Infinite

Lao Tse - The Tao Te Ching

Don Miguel Ruiz - The Four Agreements

G I Gurdjieff - Russian mystic and sage who brought The Fourth Way from the East to the West ...

Ken Wliber, for a modern integrationaist perspective on the perennial philosophies, tradtional wisdom, mysticism and psychology

Mary Magdalen, for understanding Jesus more than most
Paul Joseph
Posted 7/16/2008 10:26 AM (#7267 - in reply to #7266)

PhD Alumni

Anna, a possibly fictional little girl in books by her possible finder or creator, Fynn - Mister God this is Ann

and

(purely fiction, I think but still not sure

Donald Shimoda, created by Richard Bach, Ilusions.

The Illusion that is Work requires my attendance .....
Paul Joseph
Posted 7/16/2008 12:23 PM (#7273 - in reply to #7267)

PhD Alumni

Slightly off thread, but a great metaphysical story is the one in Genesis 32:24 - where Jacob wrestles till dawn in his tent with a dark stranger; Jacob will not yield until the Stranger blesses him - then Jacob gives thanks because "I have seen God face to face and my life is preserved".

How mystically profound, strange, yet so resonant with our soul experience that is ... ?
instinctual
Posted 7/16/2008 3:34 PM (#7285 - in reply to #7246)

PhD Alumni

Good grief, my head is spinning from such fabulous stories and examples, some people you all have mentioned I have not necessarily heard of, but am interested in learning more for sure!

Would that be a champagne super-nova, per chance? Oasis Rocks, says the damn Yankee ahaha! BOING that brings to mind, how songs can speak to us, and be religious and spiritual in the way that they evoke memories...for example when I hear "Photograph" by Ringo Starr, it brings me back to high school and an old love, I can smell the grass, I can taste the air...I think I can even remember what I was wearing that day in 1975 - anything as powerful as to evoke such visceral response can also be considered "spiritually leading", if that makes sense...because it brings you to a place in time that is forever yours, that helps you heal, that brings about a balance, that inspires you and connects you with your higher Self.

mruppert
Posted 7/17/2008 3:43 AM (#7295 - in reply to #7246)

My favorite metaphysician is Rob Zombie, who did a movie called "House of A Thousand Corpses"; I like his wife, who is also in the movie, she is slutty....but I LOVE Karen Black, my little cross-eyed sweety, at Northwestern University, Chicago,IlliNOISE at that time 15 years old, who is also in the movie......no, she ain't 15 no more! And, nor am I . She has a few years on me, but I still think that she is beautiful, though the vast majority doesn't.
     Oh, BTW, when "we" have spoken of psychic vampirism and astral projection; she is in the movie that I recommended "The Evil Dead", aka "The Blue Man"...and she was.......well now, Poppyhead is having issues....so I gotta go!

Peace,
Marty n' Luck, Popp, & Siss 
Paul Joseph
Posted 7/17/2008 3:47 AM (#7297 - in reply to #7295)

PhD Alumni

Wonderful to hear from you again Marty ... hoped you'd resonate with my 'tales of the last stand' - against the failing of the Light (which of course, never fails .. simply transforms ...)

'Rage rage against the failing of the light' is that Dylan Thomas ? (whose name, of course inspired your dear old Bob !!)
Paul Joseph
Posted 7/17/2008 8:05 AM (#7309 - in reply to #7297)

PhD Alumni

Man never desires anything so earnestly as God desires to bring a man to Himself, that he may know Him.

God is always ready, but we are very unready; God is near to us, but we are far from Him;

God is within, but we are without; God is at home, but we are strangers...

Meister Eckhart, b. 1260
(from the Eckhary web-site, Ellopos)
Paul Joseph
Posted 7/17/2008 8:09 AM (#7310 - in reply to #7297)

PhD Alumni

And another Dylan Thoma, for Marty and all, is, i think, (maybe from the same poem

'Do not go gently into that long goodnight'

(unless, oops, i may have transposed something and merged that line with the [great] Raymond Chandler novel, 'The Long Goodbye'; or even that marvellous film, mentioned before, 'The Long Kiss Goodnight' ... I'll leave it to someone else to do that research !!)
Paul Joseph
Posted 7/18/2008 10:29 AM (#7366 - in reply to #7310)

PhD Alumni

G I Gurdjeiff:

"THERE DO EXIST ENQUIRING MINDS, which long for the truth of the heart, seek it, strive to solve the problems set by life, try to penetrate to the essence of things and phenomena and to penetrate into themselves. If a man reasons and thinks soundly, no matter which path he follows in solving these problems, he must inevitably arrive back at himself, and begin with the solution of the problem of what he is himself and what his place is in the world around him. For without this knowledge, he will have no focal point in his search. Socrates’ words, “Know thyself” remain for all those who seek true knowledge and being".

VIEWS FROM THE REAL WORLD, p. 43 [pb]
http://www.gurdjieff.org/index.en.htm

And the title of Gurdjeiff's last work, unpuboished during his lifetime is also interesting: "Life is only real then, when I AM "

signing off for the weekend (until I post again) .........x P
instinctual
Posted 7/18/2008 10:50 AM (#7370 - in reply to #7246)

PhD Alumni

Gorgeous!
Paul Joseph
Posted 7/18/2008 10:57 AM (#7371 - in reply to #7370)

PhD Alumni

Thanks dear Lori - George G knew a thing or two !!
mruppert
Posted 7/19/2008 1:56 AM (#7382 - in reply to #7246)

Hello aul and Paul:
     You are incredible! Though it is Gurdjieff, I think you transposed the i and e, I find it most fascinating that someone would know the works of a true mystic. You'd have a lot of fun in the hallway and bedroom, er..ah...that is where Philosophy and Psychology books start and finish....I have fiction in the living room, dining room and part of the hallway....non fiction starts in the hallway and snakes through the small bedroom and down the hallway to the master bedroom. I find the concept of "The Institute of the Harmonious Development of Man" most appealing. I have tried to find out if the music that Georgie wrote is recorded anywhere....but with little success. I think this music would be most revealing.

Oh, and I think you, of all people, would find something else I just heard most appealing! I listened to this guy named Bagby recite Beowulf. Mind blowing!! To think that it is English that we are hearing!!!!!

Peace,
Marty and Grendlcats, Luckylee, Poppyhead, and Sissysaxongirl

Paul Joseph
Posted 7/19/2008 9:55 AM (#7389 - in reply to #7246)

PhD Alumni

D'Accord mon ami ... aah Beowolf, i remember the battle well; one of my past lifetimes, methinks, somewhere in there ... have you then read, The Path of the King, by John Buchan, the most amazing longitudinal fictional thread, crossing 1500 years, interweaving karma, memory, spirituality and the life force ? One of my Best Books Ever ..

.. and since we there, here's a couple, not sure whether exactly Metaphysicians, but certainly warriors, and women to boot -

Cleopatra - the immortal queen of Egypt who saved her country through love
Boudicca (Boadicea) - another immortal, who rallied the ancient Britons against the might of Rome ... when any Board-er visits here, I'll take you to her tomb ...

... and, a legendary, mythic, but with some root in fact -

Merlin the Wise, or Myrddin, of Welsh, Scots and British provenance ... inspirer of the fictional Gandalf, advisor to King Arthur ...
Paul Joseph
Posted 7/19/2008 10:15 AM (#7394 - in reply to #7246)

PhD Alumni

On the subject of women,

Joan of Arc, Jean d'Arc, Maid of Orleans - channeller, misinterpreted, warrior and seer, hero to her nation ... (and she also appears if I recall correctly in Buchan's The Path of the King; as does Abe Lincoln ....)
Paul Joseph
Posted 7/22/2008 6:45 AM (#7577 - in reply to #7394)

PhD Alumni

Dear Marty (and all!)

your recent post on another thread reminded me of another fictional metaphysician but with a basis in fact ...

Sherlock Holmes, the Victorian detective, was based by his creator, Arthur Conan Doyle, on his own teacher at medical school, Dr Joseph Bell (think that was his name ) .. who had and demonstrated the most amazing powers of observation and deduction ... why metaphysician ? Well, Conan Doyle went into spiritualism, fairies, and indeed also a real life detective misison of his own, proving an alleged guilty man innocent of murder; as for Holmes, when Conan Doyle tired of him, killed him off, then by public demand had to bring him back (sound familiar?!), Holmes said that whilst he was absent, he had been travelling and had met with the Dalai Lama (The Final Problem/The Return) .. There is also a Holmes story entitled, The Last Vampyre.

In case anyone is interested, I think the best filmic representation of Holmes (there have been many), was the UK ITV version, with Jeremy Brett (now sadly for us passed on) ... had the chance to meet him once and never made it ... oh how we must grasp the thorned rose of life's opportunities as and when they blossom, sometimes in the corners of our eyes ... x
MollyB
Posted 7/22/2008 11:10 AM (#7591 - in reply to #7246)

Student

Aleister Crowley....because he knew how to draw the right people to his works while shooing the others away (or scaring them away, running and screaming for the hills is probably more accurate).
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2016 PD9 Software