University Of Metaphysical Sciences
University Of Metaphysical Sciences ->  General Public -> Metaphysics Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

the great books of today
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Public -> Metaphysics DiscussionMessage format

sunflower
Posted 7/12/2008 6:52 AM (#7092)
Subject: the great books of today

Elite Veteran

hello,i was wondering,with thoes who constantly read books from great authours of past centuriess,what will be THE book of this century,if you know what i mean,i.e.from 2000 to 2008,whom is,or will be the authour that we,or indeed our future children,will look back and constantly refer to,as the great authors of today,filled with wisdom,truth,sayings,etc.just a thought,every thoughts precious to me.love and hugs iris.xxx

ps, tracey ann,where is all this outporing of knowledge coming from,i,m intrigued,though i feel,something underlying there.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Supernatural3
Posted 7/13/2008 12:17 AM (#7112 - in reply to #7092)
Subject: RE: the great books of today

PhD Alumni

I have had my nose stuffed in psychology books on adolecents, human developement and other similar books. Most of these would bore the heck out of anyone. I have had Freud, Erikson, Piaget and many other developmental theorists shoved in my head. I am sorry i cannot come up with anything recent on this.

Maybe Edger Toll has some good stuff. I plan on delving back into the metaphysical realm again, so I will check back on this thread for sure.

Tracy Ann
Posted 7/13/2008 2:09 AM (#7115 - in reply to #7092)

hey sunflower...

This out pouring of knowledge as you term it lol comes from many different sources over time. I was born questioning and the rest is history. I was approximately 4 when I had more first vision showing me that perception and awareness were everything. About 12 when I had my second which I illustrated in my 1st thread. About 26 when I had my third showing me that what I sought was beyond mind and about 33 when I realised the pearl of great price. (Im 38 now). Everyone and everything has taught me and contributed to where I stand now in my present thinking and being. I owe particular thx to Joel Goldsmith and Murdo McDonald-Bayne and of course the Bible (as well as many other metaphysical teachers and personal friends over time).... though not because their concepts are 'more right' than anyone elses, they just happened to reasonate with all that I was and am by virtue of personal experience.

Now having said that..let me point out..... let me tell you now...NONE of these beautiful teachers are anything when compared with my true teacher..the Christ within. Christ has been my true way shower and if truth be known it was the Christ in these 'beautiful teachers' that taught me, bc in essence it is in Christ we are one. This has been my greatest teacher and vision- giver for want of a better term lol, and is what I take note of the most. I trust this inner guide and have faith. Why? I dont know..tis beyong my knowledge. I was simply born knowing.

Btw dont let me fool you. I am not yet where I am going but I am no longer where I was. I am always in the process of becoming. And I find the more I learn the less I know which in turn, I find...is a good thing. I have been led to the "water" but am not drinking as fast nor as much as "I" should like. To everthing there is a season.

btw..its not that Ive been taught anything per se`...Ive just untaught myself a few things if you like and let the truth unfold...ur know? Smiling...

You ask what is behind it? Why Christ - God is behind it. As it is with everyone else!

Edited by Tracy Ann 7/13/2008 2:21 AM
sunflower
Posted 7/13/2008 3:32 AM (#7118 - in reply to #7115)

Elite Veteran

hey tracey ann,i can beleive you were born questioning,and beeive you will pass into the next world questioning.Each and all are born with a knowing,it just fades with time,as we forget as we move from childhood,to adults.We are on this earth for a purpose,that purpose being known before we were born,we choose our parents,and the lessons we need to learn,in the human form,so that we may grow spiritualy,this cannot be achieved in a lifetime.We,as humans,go through many traumas,depressions,problems of mind,body,spirit soul,we suffer illness,pain,so on so forth,for these,we should be gladgrateful,for it is in these times that we are learning the lessons,the times we have of joy,happiness,these are our rewards.Our life path is set before us before we arrive,we just dont know what lies ahead,we are not meant to,we are meant to take each day,moment,as it comes,and deal with the bad things s we see fit at that time,It is when we look back,we realize that such and such happened for a reason,but while in that situation we cannot see,and wonder why all is going wrong,we have choices to make,paths to follow,etc,but as i say,it is only when we look back,do we realize why,and wether we made the right or wrong choice,by which time it doesnt matter,as we have arrived where we are today,now,in the moment,some see when they look back the reasons for,its the jigsaw puzzle of life.I could go on,but i wouldn,t want to bore myself,or waste precious energies,for what befalls me today.As for god,jesus,whomever being in all of us,i bleive there is a greater ONE,in us all,in,around,the universe etc.You still with me,in your language,"let me tell you now",we are all as one,but each on a different journey,when done we return to our true home.Yes,it would be nice to live a life without pain,sufferring etc,but it is all necessary,there is dark and light,its up to the individual to try and gain the right balance.Okay,trace..,wish you well on your journey,but would avdvise to put the bible down awhile,its a heavy book,with a grain of truth,carry the grain its lighter.I wish you love and light,love and hugs iris xxx
Tracy Ann
Posted 7/13/2008 4:42 AM (#7120 - in reply to #7118)

Ty for your response to my response lol. With all due respect I have to disagree with you on a few points...well more than a few really...

Firstly I dont believe I will pass over questioning (but who really knows ???right! lol) bc the mind/brain dies - this I do know - and with it all thought processes including questioning and curiousity. This is my theory anyway. Ive reasoned it and it makes sense at this time. I dont know what 'IT' is but I do know what it is not. The brain/mind dies the minute we pass on. So naturally it would follow that all thought processes such as ones ability to question would die with it. To say I will be questioning after I die is heresay and yet it appears you have made a statement of fact??? Perhaps those who have passed on and not ascended the human plane might lol...who can say. I guess its whatever you want to identify with I suppose. I hope I have surpassed the human plane. It is my prayer anyway.

Secondly I believe our only purpose in life is to manifest the glory of God in whatever manner is given us. To live a higher existence than the minds domain. This is not our life, the egos life,..I believe it is HIS life. Most are not living it. If they were there would be no wars, no hunger, no pain and no disagreements. Trust me if God were on the scene there would be no discord lol. I am merely the image through which his work is done. A nurse a mother a friend a daughter a painter etc...all done for the glory of God and not of myself bc of myself I am nothing.

Thirdly you go on to say..quote "Yes,it would be nice to live a life without pain,sufferring etc,but it is all necessary,there is dark and light,its up to the individual to try and gain the right balance."unquote..and again, I have to disagree with you. One can and should rise above duality...cause and effect, which belongs to the mind. You are not a mind, you are a spirit that uses the mind as a tool to bring forth the Glory of God. I do not believe God to be dual in nature-composed of good and back, darkness and light. Neither do I believe, it is not Gods purpose that we should suffer (What kind of God is that? Not a loving God I can tell you that, at least not in my estimation - God is loving God is kind God is perfect and in him no darkness dwells).

I am sorry if i gave you the impression I am searching for the truth bc I am not. I am the truth. I have found the pearl of great price and am in the process of becoming it so advice isnt necessary as kindly and as well meant as it is given my friend. And I would never pressume to tell you which path to follow or which path not to follow in order for you to arrive at the truth or tell you if you have or not. All I can say is this is me, this is where I am and this is what I have found. I would tell you not to follow me but follow your heart within. I teach by example or not at all. The most I would do is to advise you to go within through meditation and prayer and find the truth within.

You asked how I acquired the knowledge/knowing, I have and I told you. To advise me to put down the bible is with all due respect harmful and disrespectful. It is your opinion that the bible holds only a grain of truth bc you have found this to be so. It has not been that way for me! I made plain the bible, along with many other books and teachers, have led me to the truth but was not the truth. I made plain that the truth was found within, not only in my response to you but within my whole original thread.

I would not discourage any path you chose to take or tell you that whatever way you chose would only give you a small grain or portion of the truth bc what if I was wrong???? And misled you??? I would unbeknown hinder you to the truth that dwells within you and I dont proclaim to know more than the truth or Christ or whatever you want to call it. I would not be so arrogant.

I own or am owned by no religion book place or person. I am that I am. I seek the truth within and it has always been that way for me. I have had ppl places and books guide me and sign post me but I have always sought the truth and confirmation within. Do you understand me better now? I hope so.

I do not know what is best for you, but I trust you to know that I know what is best for me and I trust you to trust me. Smiling.

How can you tell if a tree is healthy or not? By the fruit it bears. By demonstration and sense of ....well knowing.

Btw ..theres no e in Tracy

Again ty for your response and your kind well wishes. It is my prayer that both of us have come closer to the truth from this exchange.

Take care and keep Smiling...

Edited by Tracy Ann 7/13/2008 4:56 AM
sunflower
Posted 7/13/2008 6:35 AM (#7121 - in reply to #7120)

Elite Veteran

hello tracy,with due respect,i have to disagree with you on some of your points also.Of course when we pass ,die,he brain,mind dies,its the spirit that leaves the body,that carries on,in that spirit,we still retain our personality,our traits,etc,for a certain amount of time,i.e.so were we to come back to this earthplane in spirit,to contact a loved one,we display who we were here,as they knew us,so as to be recognised.As above,so below.My opinion!!!,is,on this earthplane,we are born,we go to infant school,then secondary modern,university,etc,etc,this,i belive,is mirrored when we go home,in the halls of learning,we arrive,we spend awhile resting,then we go on to our first class,and so on,depending what level we attained on the earthplane,is the level,class we attend,forever learning,in a spiritual way.I wasn,t making a statement of fact,i was being ironic!!!!,no one here knows for sure,what happens when we die,but we do know,or have a knowing,of what feels right,some may have proof,i myselfhave had proof of existence from beyond,some that is unquestionable,to me,i don,t beleive in coincidence.

I admire your prayer,that you hope you have surpassed the human plane.

I beleive this experience on this earthplane is our life,to live,and learn,i don,t bleive its HIS life,ii beleive he walks with us through this life.We are all living it,thats why there are wars,hunger,pain,sufferring etc,its up to us,individualy,to act as we will,free will,and to learn,through our mistakes,if God were on the scene,there would be no purpose to being on this earthplane,its not God that is cruel,its the human,if all were perfect,we would be home,no need to go through anything,no lessons learned,no spirits growing,learning,it would be heaven,which we would all like to experience,here on earth,but at this time,it is not to be so,my opinion,Gods work is done,every minute,of every day,with a purpose,we may not always like that purpose,but we are here,but we have help,in our prayers,angels,ready to call and help,our own guardian angel,who is with us from birth,we help each other,we are as one,but,with each,and individual reason,path,prpose for being so.Not everyone can can rise above duailty,as you call it,we are all at different levels.Yes we are spirits,in a human body,prpose being,to experience human things,etc,the human body,is the vessel,without which we could not experience,and learn,when our workis done,the body,vessel,is an empty shell,the spirit rises,and goes home,takiing with it the knowledge,experience,it came here for.if we need to cross an ocean,we need a boat,a robust boat,so we do not drown.

It is not Gods purpose,or desire that we suffer,the eternal question,what sort of God would makeus suffer,i think of God as our father,nature as our mother,parents teach their children,not always in the right or kind way the child woud like,but that is necessary,for that chid to learn love,kindness,humility.

I did not meaan to be disrespectful when i said put down your bible,i meant it in a metaphorical way,but when you say you are not searching for the truth,you ARE the truth,i would say,that is your ego.another of my opinion.Now i am geting weary,this is going on and on,i would never tell you or anyone whichpath you should take,how would i know,i know as much,or as little as you. Al i can say,is we shall agree to disagree,with respest.I wish you well,love and light to you,iris xxx
Tracy Ann
Posted 7/13/2008 6:54 AM (#7122 - in reply to #7121)

Agreed - lets agree to disagree. Jesus was crucified for saying I am the life the truth the way and it appears to be no different today....sighs. 2000 years later and nothings changed (insert sad face here lol)

I dont see myself as separate to God. I dont believe in separation, which was the principal teaching of the buddha and Jesus and most other religions teaching. They all taught "The father and I are one" Jesus taught only by example. I dont see God walking with us bc he is us. Why the separation? Why is there God and then us? But each to his own. Apart from that I make no other real claims. I dont what it is but I do know that it is.

When I say I am the truth there is a very important reason I do and its not to be egotisical or to be more than anyone else. I am just asserting my relationship to God. I believe you have the very same relationship - I believe everyone does. However bc they dont believe (be living) they do..they dont!!! When you pray - pray knowing you already are or have it. If you have read "The Secret"..you would see the very same principal demonstrated there. If I were to pray and say...lord i am searching for the truth - then I would get - an experience of 'searching for the truth'.. that is the experience I would get. Do you see? Prayer is ONLY a communion with God and nothing more. The desire to BE one with God. The desire to give up your life so that his life may be lived through you. In Christ we are one. Your will IS his will. What are you without him? You dont go seeking...or asking in prayer. All is contained within. Anyway nvm lol.

Tc and keep smiling

Edited by Tracy Ann 7/13/2008 7:15 AM
Paul Joseph
Posted 7/13/2008 11:38 AM (#7123 - in reply to #7092)

PhD Alumni

I feel that we cannot second guess posterity.

Many 'greats' did not write books themselves - but were written of - eg, Jesus, Buddha, Socrates.

Check out the Gnostic Gospels though- those excluded from the Bible by the (male) Church Fathers. Especially, the Gospel of Mary and the Gospel of Judas. Some, me included, feel that they have more veracity than the accepted text.

searching
Posted 7/13/2008 12:18 PM (#7127 - in reply to #7092)

Regular

Hello iris. it was a book that got me started on my journey. it was eckhart tolle, "the power of now. " now i do not agree with every thing he says, im a thinker and love being one, it gave me alot of the answer i had been asking. it gave me a place to at least start.
Supernatural3
Posted 7/13/2008 12:35 PM (#7129 - in reply to #7127)

PhD Alumni

searching - 7/13/2008 12:18 PM Eckhart tolle, "the power of now. "

Yep, while I had the spelling off.... Eckhart also has some new stuff out. But the power of now lets us focus on  everything happening NOW. It is a wonderful book. I also have the audeo book, which i like to listen to my books. Keeps me awake better.

Thank You sching~

Paul Joseph
Posted 7/13/2008 12:57 PM (#7131 - in reply to #7129)

PhD Alumni

Meister Eckhart (b. 1260) did not publish books either, he wrote sermons, except for his defense against the Inquisition, which was never published in his lifetime.

Eckart Tolle meanwhile, does You Tube, as does, our beloved Christine Breese !

Perhaps the greatest book has yet to be written. Yet, by 'book' do we mean book, or collection ? ie, Shakespeare's Hamlet, a great metaphysical text; was a play, not a book; now it can be a book, but is also a collection,as in the Collected Works of Shakespeare.

there is a science fiction film/book where books have been banned, so everyone who knows the truth, learns a book, becomes the book, so that the books cannot be burned! (but they are part of the revolution)

Isn't life strange ? !
Paul Joseph
Posted 7/13/2008 12:59 PM (#7132 - in reply to #7131)

PhD Alumni

What is the difference between a word, a sentence, an article, a book, a poem, a painting, a thought, a moment in time, a prayer, eternity (the list could go on)?
Christine Breese
Posted 7/13/2008 11:43 PM (#7164 - in reply to #7092)

UMS

These books aren't from our time window between 2000-2008, but I still think some of the best books I've ever read are by Jane Roberts, the Seth Books, there's a whole series of them, they're great.
sunflower
Posted 7/14/2008 3:30 AM (#7171 - in reply to #7127)

Elite Veteran

hi jerry,yes i beleive there is a grain of truth in the many books written,but i also believe,that that book,the authour,what they write is THEIR opinion,its a case of therefore it is.I think when you read a book,as there are so many different opinions in each,some totaly opposite to the other,though they are talking of the same thing,yet they claim THEIR way to be THE right way,it is best to read what you feel you need from that book,the thing that rings truth in you,then continue searching,eventualy you will have your own book,if you know what i mean,your instinct will tell you what you need,etc.
A lot of people read books,take someones idea,and create a book of their own from that,claiming it to be theirs,etc,therfore making money from anothers opinion.Anyway,i,m so pleased that you are finding your way,and i truly wish you well,you are a ovely person,and deserve the best,love and hugs irisxxx
Paul Joseph
Posted 7/14/2008 4:09 AM (#7175 - in reply to #7171)

PhD Alumni

'Author's Opinion' - in academic cricles, publications are peer reveiwed before publication; ie, read by a group of people who are epxerts in the field and thus know if the work under review adds new knoweldge and is equally, not plagiarised. SF is right, this is not always the case with a book, whcih sometimes has fewer peer reviewers than a journal article. Those reviews will take into account also whether the book/paper/research has validity.

Often the result can be an arid unreadable text; hence the liveliness and inspitational novelty of a poem, a painting, sculpture, music: which indeed might be seen as the creator's own 'opnion' or when it is magically inspired, inspiration, and blessed by the Muse.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2016 PD9 Software