University Of Metaphysical Sciences
University Of Metaphysical Sciences ->  General Public -> Forum Support -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

viewing online members
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Public -> Forum SupportMessage format

danny.israel
Posted 6/6/2008 2:34 AM (#6396)
Subject: viewing online members

Student

Hey,

I was thinking, it would be nice to be able to see who is online, if thye want to appear offline they could select that... But it would be nice to be able to have little chats, real time

edit---

Ha! I just found out I could. However, I guess it would be nice to have them more easily viewable as to chat. But very nice that I can see who is online. A big chat wall would be cool, where everyone can just real time chat- on one wall/box/space!

Edited by danny.israel 6/6/2008 2:38 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Joseph
Posted 6/6/2008 4:00 AM (#6398 - in reply to #6396)
Subject: RE: viewing online members

PhD Alumni

Hi Danny - that was the purpose of the makeshift DiY chat thread; seems to work, after a fashion !
Supernatural3
Posted 6/6/2008 11:53 AM (#6409 - in reply to #6396)

PhD Alumni

That is also why we have instant messenger programs. We can use AIM, ICQ, Skype, MSN, or Yahoo to add buddies and chat that way as well. I do believe I gave my screen names in my profile. Anyone is welcome to add me, i use yahoo the most.

UMS is also working on a live chat room. I have one on my website, but I think Instant messenger is the answer for the time being.

Tootles~
Paul Joseph
Posted 6/7/2008 4:53 PM (#6429 - in reply to #6409)

PhD Alumni

I'm confused. What's wrong with the DiY thread then ? Is there a difference between this and that (Ha ha!)
Paul Joseph
Posted 6/7/2008 4:55 PM (#6431 - in reply to #6409)

PhD Alumni

I'm confused. What's wrong with the DiY thread then ? Is there a difference between this and that (Ha ha!)

Some things are 'never good enough' (when most things are more than perfectly adequate)

We always want more

Is that the human condition ? !
Supernatural3
Posted 6/8/2008 11:20 AM (#6447 - in reply to #6396)

PhD Alumni

The DIY thread is great, it's just not real time. Which is why there are other real time options. It's not about wanting more, it's about utilizing what is available. It's also about knowing what other options are. At least that is how I see it. Others may feel different.

It's ok to also want more, with out that want, nobody would gain. To gain is not a bad thing, it's just bad when the gain turns to greed.

Knowing the difference is the tricky part, because it may just be an illusion.

Paul Joseph
Posted 6/8/2008 1:46 PM (#6454 - in reply to #6447)

PhD Alumni

My 'this or that' was a Zen-pun ... what, please remind me then, is real time ? ... playing around here, please indulge me and take no offence ... is real time Real Time ... Eternity ? or the relative time of time zones, etc ? (clue in the question, Doh!) ... But then, is Eternity, in time; or out of time ? If so, where is Eternity ? Where is now ? Where is Now ?!

A cross referencing thread link might be a good idea too ... (oops, another idea)

... the beauty of the DiY thread is its spontaneity ... and inability to plan (hence my earlier MacGyver joke too ..)

all done in love and no undemrining meant, sorry ... If music be the food of Love, play on ... As opposed to, from Macbeth, 'Lay on Macduff'
Supernatural3
Posted 6/8/2008 3:31 PM (#6471 - in reply to #6396)

PhD Alumni

Real time is what we do, on the phone, or during a live chat, or instant messaging. It's not really a spiritual thing. It's when two or more people can communicate at the same time. It's considered real time, because both parties are experiencing a real person on each end "LIVE" and not pre-recorded.

A forum is rarely real time. While we can get pretty darn close, we do not have instant communication back and forth like we do with the other methods, but a forum is great for being able to go back for references. Both work great.

However, in our profiles on here, we ask for user ID's if one does use instant messaging so real time communication can take place if one is looking for that. It's all about the options. LOL

I hope I was able to explain the difference.

Paul Joseph
Posted 6/8/2008 4:19 PM (#6479 - in reply to #6471)

PhD Alumni

Thanks for the fulsome explanation DocJ. I was just drifting around in the Timeless Mind; on the seashore of endless worlds; where children meet.

(quote from Tagore; full version back on the Poetry thread) !!
Supernatural3
Posted 6/8/2008 8:29 PM (#6485 - in reply to #6396)

PhD Alumni

I am glad it helped. You are welcome.... always!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2016 PD9 Software