University Of Metaphysical Sciences
University Of Metaphysical Sciences ->  General Public -> Metaphysics Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

meditation problem
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Public -> Metaphysics DiscussionMessage format

danny.israel
Posted 5/25/2008 3:17 PM (#5755)
Subject: meditation problem

Student

Hello all,

So I have always had a slight problem, when I meditate it creates pressure build up in my head. The more I meditate the more the pressure builds and then if I stop it slowly goes away (over a week or so). I have considered it could be my technique, I feel it may be less intense now then the past. I have tight muscles and sitting is usually somewhat of a stretch or strenuous so it could be that.

I would really like to find a traditional chinese medicine perspective on this, or anything you guys may know or speculate.

Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/25/2008 3:46 PM (#5756 - in reply to #5755)
Subject: RE: meditation problem

PhD Alumni

Dear Danny

So nice to hear from you again. Not sure I am the world's expert on 'meditation'; and i am not asking you to answer any questions; but from what you say, might there be a focus on posture for you? Posture, I do know and have observed, of the power of. And equally, I may not be sure what you mean by meditation.

But what I undesrtand as meditation is, to acheive the Quiet Mind. The Still Mind. So, therefore, I would say, let your body and mind find the place and flow as to where & what that place of quietness is.

Also, you do not say if you have a teacher with you. If not, I might with respect offer two (or maybe three words) words, straightness and stillness. But do not strain. Straining is too far.

As with many things, gentleness is All.

Shalom

Paul
NothingEverything
Posted 5/26/2008 3:04 AM (#5815 - in reply to #5755)

UMS Student

danny.israel - 2008-05-26 4:17 AM

Hello all,

So I have always had a slight problem, when I meditate it creates pressure build up in my head. The more I meditate the more the pressure builds and then if I stop it slowly goes away (over a week or so). I have considered it could be my technique, I feel it may be less intense now then the past. I have tight muscles and sitting is usually somewhat of a stretch or strenuous so it could be that.

I would really like to find a traditional chinese medicine perspective on this, or anything you guys may know or speculate.

Thanks!

This is my experience:
I still dont meditate anywhere near as often as i believe i should.
Instead, i wait for certain things, a perfect enviroment, a moment when i know ill have extended solitute, and other things.
Anyways, when i meditate, i get a heavy pressure build up between my eyes and in my head,
it is very real and frightening and would break my concentration.
I decided it was a part of the experience, but as I let the pressure build into intense levels my mind also became very bright,
and it was like looking at a supernova from a couple feet away, also, the pressure builds up so much that it has spread throughout my entire body, and it feels like im being pushed into the floor and a strange kind of warmth would also accomadate the experience..
Its all extremely dramatic and makes me lose concentration...
After my meditations i never feel like talking to anyone, and dont enjoy company.
All of humanity seems like a joke and i feel embarrassed.
Not something i like to feel...
Therefore I dont meditate often at all, in fact, no meditations yet as of this year...
Even though i have places i call my meditation spots.
That is my experience, and my only advise to you would be to keep at it.
as i believe i should take my own advise.
stillness
Posted 5/26/2008 5:32 AM (#5829 - in reply to #5755)

Student

Hi Danny

I'm not an expert and at the moment I'm limited to very short thoughts/posts, so sorry if its not very eloquent - maybe others can expand on any that you like the sound of.

Alternate with some different styles of meditation, possibly with movement, walking meditation or some yoga postures

Add a visualisation to your practice that moves energy around that includes connecting with earth and giving out healing energy to the universe - deep tree roots and beams of light comming out of my hands used to work for me

Or accept and observe.... but sometimes I find that too intense. Chakra balancing so all your energy doesn't stay in your head?

My favourite meditation advice was "relax....just be...you are already buddha, you just have to be still enough to realise it".... it took the pressure off, no need to question, no need to understand ....just be

Gentle thoughts
Stillness

Paul Joseph
Posted 5/26/2008 4:44 PM (#5877 - in reply to #5755)

PhD Alumni

Sounded perfectly eloquent to me Stillness.

Aum
Tracy Martin
Posted 5/26/2008 5:02 PM (#5879 - in reply to #5755)

Alumni

This is a post from the Student area regarding meditation. "Meditation is not what you think!"

Eastern or Advaita Vedanta begins by bringing the attention to the body sitting on the chair, feeling ones weight on the chair or floor, and paying attention to the feeling of air on the skin and face, the feeling of clothes. By bringing attention to one of the senses you begin to bring the mind into a focus. Listening to sounds first near and then far and bringing attention to the silence between sounds or the silence which holds all the sounds. Smell, taste are other senses to focus attention on.

Meditation is not about striving to achieve something, or struggling against something. Stillness gave the best advice, try a variety of techniques. Sometimes meditation is watching a beautiful sunset.

Supernatural3
Posted 5/26/2008 6:27 PM (#5883 - in reply to #5755)

PhD Alumni

I agree with Tracy and Stillness,

I am a real crappy meditator, Lets just say, I am too hyperactive and I will start to be distracted by everything. I will get little itches everywhere.

For me, guided meditation works. Their voice keeps me in-line. Keeping busy also works for me, like a walk. Sometimes music works for me. It's different each time, but i have a very hard time just sitting down and trying to meditate. Maybe i have adult ADD. Who knows....

Another thing that worked for me. Hypnosis. Guided imagery does wonders for me. As a student, you will learn some self hypnosis techniques. It's amazing the results..... I chose to specialize in this, due to my lack of meditation ability, yet my hypnosis ability is superb. I let others hypnotize me and it was the deepest I have ever actually relaxed while awake.

Just suggestions, may you find what works~
danny.israel
Posted 5/27/2008 2:36 AM (#5893 - in reply to #5755)

Student

Thank you guys for your input, and I really appreciate how gentle you are.
paddy
Posted 7/21/2010 1:43 AM (#19660 - in reply to #5755)

Some years ago I had became sore from a sort of meditation cramp. When I looked in the mirror as feeling my head was held straight, my head appeared cocked to the side. I resolved that it was due to the crystallization of the pineal as in the formation of brain sand. I searched the Internet and found a balancing meditation of counter rotating tetrahedrons corresponding to the energies circulating in the two hemispheres of my brain, with which the meditation pain dissipated. I also changed my meditation position to laying down. The other practice that helped me was a yogic practice called alternate nostril breathing. At some point, I found the left side severe and cramping, the right side merciful and pleasant. After more years I reached a balance and my head posture is no longer cocked to the side. It is not unusual for me to relieve my meditation pressure by twisting my head slightly causing a pop of my pineal. Some people associate this with the opening of the thousand petaled lotus corresponding to the crown chakra opening. As I encounter more and more people who do the same, it seems less weird than it was to me at the onset.

paddy
leo
Posted 7/21/2010 9:08 AM (#19661 - in reply to #19660)

Ph.D. Alumni

Hello Paddy, In our course work here at UMS, we have a lesson on Pranayama & The Art of Breathing. In the left/right nostril dominance, it is said to balance and help restore coordination. however it is also noted that any prolonged left or right nostril breathing dominance is not a good idea. If the breath stays on one side for a day or more it can cause potential serious health issues. The ancient yogis studied the breath and found that it must be related to prana and should be left to run it's course most of the time. It's interesting to note that people who have had a severe blockage on either side for a long period are reported to have had mental disorders. The course goes into other areas of interest as well. Good stuf
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2016 PD9 Software