University Of Metaphysical Sciences
University Of Metaphysical Sciences ->  General Public -> Questions About UMS -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Where is everyone at in their coursework?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Public -> Questions About UMSMessage format

mruppert
Posted 11/14/2009 12:22 AM (#17763 - in reply to #17633)
Subject: RE: Where is everyone at in their coursework?

And I am sorry too, Doc!
The slim majority of my students buy papers and cheat on exams and fudge any other things they can get away with....WE now get training as to how to understand and deal with this so that the cheaters and plagiarizers can have some self esteem. I wanna know if anyone has assessed what we have done to our kids????

Peace and Love,
Marty Lucky Poppy Sissy
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Absolute Sovereigncy
Posted 11/14/2009 1:30 AM (#17765 - in reply to #17763)

Student

M,

Perhaps they're obsessed with the absoluteness of being told there is no "right and wrong, as well as no absolutes."

Just a thought. Peace,

A.S.
Supernatural3
Posted 11/14/2009 11:00 AM (#17770 - in reply to #5660)

PhD Alumni

Oh c'mon.... I think everyone knows in life that there IS right and wrong, but humans will ALWAYS want to take the easier rout. It's naturally built in. I mean if you want to go to the store to get milk, would you drive to the next state, if you can get it down the block? It's not logical. You take the quickest, shortest rout. That is what cheating is. However, it also cheats us out on the knowledge. Had we driven to the next state... we would have seen lots of new things. This could turn into a million different reasons and stratigies.

I personally have cheated too many times to count. BUT.... it was in classes where I simply didn't understand it and the teacher wouldn't help me, and my parents simply wouldn't accept a bad grade. Other times I cheated because I was bored out of my mind and didn't give a crap about the subject enough to learn it, due to falling asleep everytime I tried. LOL.
However... when it's something I LOVE, i wouldn't DARE cheat myself out of the real learning experience by cheating, especially if I am paying for it. We are talking a difference between being immature and mature though.

It's not about absolutes either.... that has nothing to do with it.
I have three kids in college right now and two are honor roll, one is getting by with medium grades. I tell them to do the best they can and if they don't understand something to PLEASE ask the professor for help. Unfortunately, some teachers are not very good teachers and some students just aren't good students. Then we have some of both, that are just fantastic. I was lucky, I had a really good math teacher in college... he could teach calculus to kindergardners, he was that good.

Teaching children starts at home, with encouragement. Tell a kid he is smart all his life and trust me... he will go far, or take it where he is destined to go. It's his/her life. 

Parents don't mean to make the mistakes of telling their children they are dumb. - I was told I was dumb a lot as a child. I was told I was not college material. I was told I would get by on my looks. Do anyone think a parent would WANT to scar a child mentally like that? I know my parents thought they were just trying to get me to try harder, but what they did was make me believe I was dumb. However.... I ended up doing exactly what they wanted.... I busted my butt... went to college (many of them) and graduated with honors in electrical engineering. Which I don't do for a living, but hey... I did it just to prove that this dumb chick, could study a MAN's line of work, with nothing but math and tools and graduate top of her class. YEP... I was so proud that day to shove it in my parents face. I now had surpassed my parents on education. The last thing in the world I am now.... is dumb. 

So... did my parents accidental mental abuse push me to keep learning? I know they certainly didn't WANT me to really think I was dumb. I just didn't get the same good grades as my sister, who was a straight A person and I only excelled in Music, Gym and Art.

So, cheating.... it's been done since man walked earth. It's no new news. Everyone likes to cut corners to get to the same place as everyone else. While I like short cuts and I certainly don't want to let anyone down.... I am now mature enough that I don't want to cheat myself.

Isn't that the bottom line?

Technically, I don't care who cheats on what. But if anyone else cares at all about what they are paying for... they won't WANT to cheat themselves. I just hope and pray that my doctor didn't cheat on his exams. LOL I am certainly  not going to promote cheating.

Ophiucus
Posted 11/14/2009 11:52 AM (#17772 - in reply to #17770)

Forum Administrator

Nice news about your children Supernatural3 ... sorry and warm healing resonances for the mental abuse .... you seem to not to have let it do you too much harm, if I may say -

Every blessing to you and yours

O
Absolute Sovereigncy
Posted 11/14/2009 12:20 PM (#17774 - in reply to #17770)

Student

When it benefits them they are all for it. Does this mean their is an "absolute" separate from our personal whims (as an eternal process of course)?

Just a thought; or is that a notion?
Supernatural3
Posted 11/14/2009 12:56 PM (#17775 - in reply to #5660)

PhD Alumni

I am a little lost on that Abs.... I just don't get where your coming from and I don't think this has anything to do with any sort of absolute. Sorry.... just not grasping what you mean.

Is there a reason that you seem to always use or need some sort of absoluteness to everything?

It's a good vodka... but it's not a grasp-able notion when it comes to making choices that are ever dynamic. To be, absolute would be static. Wouldn't it?

What is static about cheating?

Sorry...I am not trying to be sarcastic... I am just lost in your way of thinking and I'm really trying hard to figure out what your getting at. Not in a bad way... just kind of tilting the head.... a little diagonal.... quizzical look on my face.

mruppert
Posted 11/14/2009 10:44 PM (#17797 - in reply to #5660)

Dockeee....you must realize that I am in close contact with the 'kids". Because of my method of teaching.....
"""""""Marty...why don't you use PowerPoint and give them handouts"""""""""and I respond that I prefer to walk the classroom and be one with my students........I am not well liked by the traditional teachers, but since my evaluations are consistently and unilaterally high by the students, I am the "preferred" teacher.
I earn and respect the intimacy that my students give me...and they tell me point blank that they do not see anything wrong in cheating and plagiarising.....they tell to me to look at my government, my businesses, my institutions of faith and comfort....all of which have lied to them......and the FACT of that does not erase from their minds with all my palaver of ideals.

The world changed for me a long time ago DocJay.....and I think as the kids grow you will cross a bridge with the youngest.......and perhaps find yourself............

Peace and Love and Hugs,
Marty and Luckylee, Poppyhead, and SissyGirl

Absolute Sovereigncy
Posted 11/15/2009 3:16 AM (#17802 - in reply to #17775)

Student

The absolute I speak of is a dynamic continuum and not static. The metaphysical miss-premise of the ages.

You know, the one order of the two forces.
Supernatural3
Posted 11/15/2009 12:12 PM (#17804 - in reply to #5660)

PhD Alumni

Ahhh Marty... I have already found myself... and I wished many schools/colleges had teachers like you. I was lucky to have wonderful college teachers, it is they who helped me achieve my honors certificates. Education is important to me. Perhaps because of my past.

It took me years to get over all that, when I realized .... we are who we think we are. The rest doesn't matter. Think it good. 

All good here.... I wish my happiness on everyone!
HUGS and rubs for kitties

Supernatural3
Posted 11/15/2009 12:15 PM (#17805 - in reply to #5660)

PhD Alumni

Ahhhhh ABS.... I visualized your words backwards. I understand it more now. LOL
I am a visual thinker... I get mental pictures and thoughts and then try to rationalize them.
Silly me... ha ha ha I get what your saying.

Absolute Sovereigncy
Posted 11/15/2009 3:42 PM (#17811 - in reply to #17805)

Student

Hi Jill,

I am glad you see that. And get it.

Peace and Joy,

A.S.

Absolute Sovereigncy
Posted 11/15/2009 3:55 PM (#17812 - in reply to #17770)

Student

Hi again Jill,

My mother was very controlling and very repressive. As I have matured and become accountable and responsible
I have since realized she was doing the best she could with what she had and knew was true for her. It was all
unconscious on her part. We use to argue a lot. Now when we do, I just say, hey mom, that's why we live in separate
apartments. We get along so much better that way.

Peace and Joy,

A.S.
Supernatural3
Posted 11/15/2009 5:39 PM (#17815 - in reply to #5660)

PhD Alumni

Exactly... different roads, for different folks.

I know my parents didn't mean to be so harsh. They truly are good people and I love them to pieces... just don't want to live with em either. LOL I am way to easy going for living that up-tight. LOL

I know what ya mean....
Blessings~
Disa
Posted 11/30/2009 7:18 AM (#17966 - in reply to #5660)

Alumni

Where is everyone at in their coursework?

I see some new people have joined the forum, maybe they'd like to know where we are now with our coursework?

I'm finally moving right along and getting back on track.

I'm in the middle of the "Unlocking Your Creativity" Course (In the Bachelor's Program). I've answered the exam questions, but I still have to do the exercise at the end as well as the meditation. Then I'm going to start working on the "Bachelor's Creative Project" Hopefully I'll get a lot of that done this week since I'm off work.

So, any updates as to where the rest of you are?
Paul Joseph
Posted 12/16/2009 3:07 PM (#18250 - in reply to #5660)

PhD Alumni

Ah dear Kiddo ... 'Final Stretch', or next stage/phase .....?
Disa
Posted 12/16/2009 4:11 PM (#18252 - in reply to #5660)

Alumni

Kiddo, that is GREAT! Congratulations!

I'm still in the same place- I did do the meditation but still working on the creative projects. I may skip around, do some other work, and come back to these, working on them a little at a time. With the holidays fast approaching, life is busy.
leo
Posted 12/16/2009 7:28 PM (#18254 - in reply to #5660)

Ph.D. Alumni

Thats great news, hope it all goes well for you.
planning on getting there soon. Working on my thesis and a few more courses and then the big one.

Will say a word or two to the Almighty for you, not sure you need it but it couldn't hurt.

Absolute Sovereigncy
Posted 12/17/2009 12:13 AM (#18267 - in reply to #5660)

Student

Hi instinctual,

I have completed the Bachelors level and am now preparing for my thesis.

Peace,

A.S.
Ophiucus
Posted 12/17/2009 11:38 AM (#18279 - in reply to #18267)

Forum Administrator

Very well done KG .... and AS ... and Disa - every strength to your continuing intentions ... though (yep, PJ) none of us will ever stop learning, I hope ....
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2016 PD9 Software