University Of Metaphysical Sciences
University Of Metaphysical Sciences ->  General Public -> Metaphysics Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

internet business development
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Public -> Metaphysics DiscussionMessage format

instinctual
Posted 5/22/2008 3:42 PM (#5618)
Subject: internet business development

PhD Alumni

Hi people...

I am almost done building my website, and it should be live in the next few weeks. So, question to Doc, Aquarius, anyone with their own websites. I would love to have links to say, your websites, the UMS website, etc. Does anyone know if there are legal issues with this? I am not looking for a pay per click sort of thing (from anyone on this discussion board anyway), just a sharing of information and a broadening of my visitor's experience. Does anyone have any knowledge of this, or how it works, or how people should be approached about this? Remember, this is my safe place to land, so I am asking potentially silly and obvious questions here... try not to laugh too hard.

Thanks!

Love-Instinctual Lori- stuck- in- web-site-mud

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/22/2008 4:05 PM (#5620 - in reply to #5618)
Subject: RE: internet business development

PhD Alumni

Dear Lori

As someone said, either Winnie the Pooh or Paddington Bear or the Wind in the Willows or Lewis Carroll, there is no such thing as a ssilly question, just the potential for a disrespectful answer. But notwithstanding that, oblation upon oblation - a website ?! It's just about all I can do to log on ... sorry I cannot help, except be with you in your - professed and alleged and much maligned ignorance.

But also, very dear Louise, the Lantern Bearer, has a magical web-site too.

Good luck
Paul
instinctual
Posted 5/22/2008 9:31 PM (#5635 - in reply to #5618)

PhD Alumni

Thx PJ, and so sorry Louise, I haven't examined the posts enough to see that...I appreciate the information!!!!!!!

Happy day, and cheers!

IL
Louise
Posted 5/22/2008 9:50 PM (#5636 - in reply to #5618)

UMS Student

Hi Lori - I felt drawn to look at the forum today - I've been a bit absent, enjoying some quiet time. Congrats on walking the valley of the shadow of death - building a website! There are a number of ways/reasons for linking to other sites. Here are the ones I know of that I have picked up so this is to the best of my knowledge only:

1. Providing a link to a website of your interest - go for it! As far as I am aware, there are no implications for you to signpost someones else's site - you are in fact doing them a favour. One of the main things that google uses to calculate the importance of your site (and hence where you appear in the search results) is how many other sites are linking to yours. Therefore, by placing a link on your site, you are increasing the popularity of that site.

Put a note on your page with the links saying that these are links that they 'may' find of interest, will take you outside of your site and something to the effect that you don't endorse the content/are not responsible for the content or experience they may have. This just covers you by saying that this is for their convenience only and you cannot gurantee anything beyond your site.

2. Having a free reciprocal agreement with a website - they put your link (address) on their site, you put their link on yours - this requires you to email the website adminsitrator/contact and ask for a link exchange or sometimes they have a form on their site where you can request a reciprocal exchange - this way both parties benefit. UMS do this. If someone contacts you to do this, you will want to consider whether you want to be linked with that site. A word of caution - I would choose carefully who you want to link to - don't agree to any reciprocal link - visit the site, and look for links on that site that may look dodgy (technical term )) eg ringtones, inappropriate content etc etc

This may be the option you are thinking of - my advice in getting a successful reciprocal agreement is to visit the site you wish to link to (and vice versa), see if there is any mention of linking - who to contact etc and send a personal email to that person, stating why you like the site, what your site is about and how they compliment each other - basically, don't send a standard email out to many sites, personalise it.

3. Signup to Google Adsense for your site https://www.google.com/adsense/login/en_US/?gsessionid=UWqQNW3HYY8 - you place some google code in your code that generates links related to the content of your site - the advantage is that you can provide your users with other sites of interest and get paid a small amount each time someone clicks on the link - the disadvantage is that if you choose links appropriate to your content, you don't get to specify. I recently had a link on http://thelantern-bearer that said Gurus Suck - don't buy anything from Louise Hay (or something like that).

4. Signup to Google Adwords http://adwords.google.com/select/Login - this is the opposite of above, you specify a link and a few words about your site that appears on other related sites - you pay each time someone clicks on your link to go to your site. This is how google makes their money - they pay you to advertise other peoples links - you pay google to advertise your site

5. Affiliate member links - this is usually for a financial objective. I tried it out on my lantern bearer site to see how the code works - I haven't checked to see how it is going. Lets say someone is selling a product - a spiritual development course. It costs a $100. They may set up an affiliate program where they pay you a cut of the $100 if you put their link on your site and someone buys the course as a result of clicking on the link on your site. This requires a piece of code to track the link so the affiliate program gives you some code to insert on your site so that they can tell that a person came from your site. All the user sees is the link so they don't know you are an affiliate seller.

If your site is a blog (e.g. using wordpress which is a free way of getting a website up and running with all the gadgets and gizmos - my lantern bearer is powered using wordpress) a word of caution with enabling anyone to leave a comment or trackback (linking to your site from their site). I've had my fingers burnt - I didn't want people to have to register to leave a comment so left it open and allowed trackbacks - I then got spammed by different companies wanting to leave their links on my site (in order to increase the number of their links out on the net) such as elvis ringtones, insurance companies, other inappropriate sites - I deleted them as soon as I could but was busy over a weekend and then got linked to by a site that was distrubuting a nasty virus, which google picked up on, and emailed me (because I was a member of adsense) to tell me to remove it.

So the main moral of the story is to be selective over who you choose (or allow) to place on your site as not everyone has the good intention that I know that you will have.

I've tried all of the above. Feel free to check http://thelantern-bearer.com which has Google Adwords, Reciprocal and links of my personal preference. Also my commercial one which I didn't want advertising on has two reciprocal links www.theemergingpath.com (go to free inspiration>useful links) which has a page dedicated to it. I have set up for this and currently have placed only two links - one of which is UMS.

Hope this helps!

Louise
x
Louise
Posted 5/22/2008 9:54 PM (#5637 - in reply to #5620)

UMS Student

many thanks for the signpost Paul..
instinctual
Posted 5/22/2008 10:41 PM (#5638 - in reply to #5618)

PhD Alumni

Many thank you's to PJ and Louise, you both have no idea how much this is appreciated!
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/23/2008 5:58 AM (#5641 - in reply to #5636)

PhD Alumni

Hello Louise - how interesting that you felt drawn to look when your name was mentioned ! Serendipity rules, if one allows it to ! Love & Blessings
Paul
Supernatural3
Posted 5/23/2008 9:20 AM (#5648 - in reply to #5618)

PhD Alumni

Here is what I did. I have about 5 fully running sites out there with many pages... how I did it was pretty simple. Since I am not a IT type of person and I am also pretty much HTML duh..... I bought server space from a cheaper company. Rule of thumb for cheap is around $99/ per year. Cheaper for some, but make sure they are easily edited.

I personally used http://www.webhero.com I also have one with http://www.startlogic.com for my web sites. They are cheap and you can buy your domain name there too. Once you sign up for it, you can start building it. They have templates that work very well.

I then pick a template I love and add a bunch of pages. Once i get everything i want with that, I then switch to using frontpage to edit them the way i want. I never have to go back to a new template unless i want to start all over. Front page is pretty simple, once you play around with it.

Since I do not know much about html, this has worked pretty easily for me. My last website I just built about a month ago is here: http://www.semoninservices.com I created it for my family. All the brothers and myself are placing what they can offer and we have easy emails to go with it. It's not hard, but can be a little time consuming to get everything right.

Good advice above too.... i hope we can cover as much as possible, to get you on your way.

HUGS

instinctual
Posted 5/23/2008 10:36 AM (#5655 - in reply to #5618)

PhD Alumni

Everyone- WOW...thank you sooo very much for sharing your knowledge! I, too, am completely HTML duh (haha love that, Jill) I already purchased my domain name at godaddy.com, have my pages done so have been investigating google ad sense, adding links to others sites, that sort of thing. My fear is legal retaliation which Louise helped me to understand. My site is rather informational only. I speak of Light, that your Light lives in between your thoughts, that it bridges the personality and the spirit, and I am setting up workshops in my area called Charisma Illi Quisnam Tutela- Caring for Those Who Care- a Spirit Driven Approach- geared toward helping the medical professional community- particularly nursing professionals obtain tools to recognize, identify and assist with caregiver burn out, which I am a victim of. Anyway, I am learning that there is a distinct difference between websites such as this and websites that are completely business internet oriented. What an education this whole thing has been, yikers!

So, Jill, best wishes on your paper, you can do it, girl! Go have a nice breakfast and get into your JillZone
Love,
Most often Instinctual Lori
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/23/2008 10:57 AM (#5661 - in reply to #5655)

PhD Alumni

Dear Lori

Your web-weave-work sounds wonderful. I like the light being the space between thoughts. One of your phrases reminded me of a poem, which i may come back to when it pops up from my memory banks, if you don't mind. I have been in the care providing field for 34 years now and I came to UMS with profoundly chronic burn out, which the courses & meditations have helped redeem considerably; so can resonate with your concerns. An interesting example of the Light bridging thoughts ( and indeed bypassing continental geography) was the way in which Louise said she felt drawn to look at the site when this thread was bubbling away (hope you donlt mind my referring to your earlier post Louise!?). Love All
Paul
instinctual
Posted 5/23/2008 12:00 PM (#5665 - in reply to #5618)

PhD Alumni

Yes indeed, it is validating to me that Louise logged on intuitively yesterday. She was the Light and we were the thoughts, in a larger scheme of things. How interesting that you are in the caring profession too, Paul. We are all like kindred spirits on a multi faceted playing field. I had a feeling that you were with your reference to Cat Stevens being so generous to one of your..I forgot the word you used....clients, let's say.
And...I wonder where Molly has been? Molly....calling Molly....I miss her energy in these here parts. Where are you doll?

Ok, off to have a day of pampering and spoiling of myself.

Love to all of yas
L
instinctual
Posted 5/23/2008 12:05 PM (#5666 - in reply to #5618)

PhD Alumni

Oh, and Louise and Jill, I viewed your sites and they are all absolutely fabulous!!! WOW We are among some fine minds, here.

I feel honored and blessed to be in the company of every single person here.

Much Love~

L
Supernatural3
Posted 5/23/2008 4:08 PM (#5675 - in reply to #5618)

PhD Alumni

Lori,
Thank you so much for the compliments on my amateur website building. Yep, i wing it for sure.... When in Jillism mode my motto is: If all else fails READ THE DIRECTIONS! ha ha ha haven't had to bring em out yet.

I finished my report.... OMG What a pain. I did it on ADD/ ADHD. Fun fun fun.... Everything is on mental illness, since that is my major.

I figured most people think i am crazy.... might as well study WHY! ha ha ha

I am glad you found your answers. The best advice I can give on legalities is just make sure you quote your sources. If you find information off any site, refer that site, or author. Just give credit and you cannot go wrong on that portion.

As far as google ads.... i have something on one of my websites and i think i did it wrong. I am also trying real hard to add a CAPTCHA code into my sites, so a SPAM BOT cannot spam me. I have failed that massively. I just cannot figure out what they are talking about. I cannot find a tech support to talk me through it and I have no manual that makes sense to me. ARGH!

I feel your pain....

Stupid bots..... ha ha ha

I have one now. attacking one of my contact us pages. I took down the submit button, but they haven't cleared the cache on their end, so it's still mass emailing me. GRRRrrrrr The LEO in me takes over.....

M M Must control the shadow side. HA HA

Ok.... back to normal.

Everyone just witnessed a rage episode of frustration. LOL I went from Calm, to EXORCIST.... back to calm. In the matter of a few seconds.

HA HA HA
Louise
Posted 5/23/2008 4:12 PM (#5676 - in reply to #5618)

UMS Student

Hello everyone! Glad we could all work together on this..your site sounds wonderful Lori - don't hesitate to drop me an email (contact details on my emergingpath website)) if you think I can help again and I haven't picked up on the wonderful internal calling system we have here at UMS - thanks Paul for calling on me!

Jill - I think your site is a wonderful idea to bring a family together and to honour and share your talents - great! It has made me reflect that at UMS, we are one family here so if we share/trade talents with one another, it's an excellent way to move us all forward....

Louise
x

instinctual
Posted 5/23/2008 4:42 PM (#5680 - in reply to #5618)

PhD Alumni

Oh Darling Louise, thank you so much for the loving energy and the validation. I am enjoying this so much- I just really feel sort of jaded with the health care system in this country, ever since managed care and what it has done to the profession of nursing as a whole...my anger and depression has found a new energy path, and that is to participate in their healing process. I want to reach out and hug and hold every health care professional who ever went home in tears, who ever has gotten bitten or slapped and not thanked or not been supported in any way, anyone who sustained needle sticks and body fluid splashes and 4 hours of documentation every shift, everyone who gets scolded for overtime but gets disciplined because they do not finish their work, for those who get treated like ignorant children by pompous physicians.... for those who are brave enough to enter "The Toxic Vortex". This population needs so much love, and they are the unsung heroes in my book. I will be Lori the hugging nurse saint! (laughing at myself here). No disrespect to Amma whatsoever is implied here. In fact her ways and gentleness inspire me. Hugging will be indeed a part of my workshops.
Speaking of...consider all of yourselves hugged!
instinctual
Posted 5/23/2008 4:47 PM (#5681 - in reply to #5675)

PhD Alumni

Wow, you go girl! When you set out to do something, you do it, even though you are a self proclaimed EXORCIST LOL

Actually, you are, aren't you? LOL Oh, Jill..you are such a cutey patootey...Actually, I never even considered these spam bot type critters...sheeesh...drats..and possibly other expletives.

I cannot thank you and everyone enough for taking the time to help me get this mumbo jumbo in my little brain.... I just love yas all dang it!!!

ME
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/24/2008 6:13 AM (#5686 - in reply to #5681)

PhD Alumni

Dear Louise - Namaste; it is indeed a wonderful if unconscious, unseen and dependant on a kind of faith communication system isn;t it ?!x

Dear Lori - I looked on and re-read your, 'I speak of light' and immediately the poem came to my head, though I am not sure it is exactly on topic - the poem was by E E Cummings, and the first three lines are (& plsrecall cummings wrote without punctuation):

" i sing of olaf glad and big
whose warmest heart recoiled at war;
a conscientious object-or "

(there are heaps more lines that I won;t add here)

I had thought it would have been the poem by D H Lawrence, Song of a Man Who has Come Through, which starts,

" Not I, not I, but the wind that blows through me!
A fine wind is blowing the new direction of Time"

... but it wasn't that one... !!

Note your remarks about getting into healing; interestingly the UK has just extended the consumer protection act to cover 'mediumship, fortune telling and healers' ... who from now on apparently will have to offer disclaimers, else risk being sued !! We seem to be returning to the persecution of (us) witches ...

And Dear Jill - Hi & well done

And dear Everyone else, Hi too !

Love and Light

Paul

instinctual
Posted 5/25/2008 12:19 AM (#5715 - in reply to #5618)

PhD Alumni

Hello All-
Louise, my hubster was so impressed with all your sites, as well as Jill's and Aquarius'- in fact he has been reading these boards along with me and just gets such a kick out of the friendly bantering..
So sad about the disclaimer you mentioned, Paul- so does that mean even with a business license ( as is the case here )- one must indicate, for example -things like "this should not take the place of traditional medicine or therapies" or some such ?? All we can do is smile and bare it, I suppose. Let's not relive Salem. Sheesh.

Hope everyone is having a really groovy weekend..!
Love and Stuff,
Lori
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/25/2008 4:41 AM (#5728 - in reply to #5715)

PhD Alumni

Yes Lori, I think that's what this seems to mean.

Good the rocket scientists know more than the politicians !

As the planet burns, it seems, those with the torches are turning on those with the buckets of water and seeds for replanting in our pockets ...

good thing is its drawn to my anttention a body called the Spiritualists Workers Association (you can probably access their site from over there) who are heavily invlved in this field and with whom i have now registered.
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/25/2008 4:41 AM (#5729 - in reply to #5715)

PhD Alumni

As the planet burns, it seems, those with the torches are turning on those with the buckets of water and seeds for replanting in our pockets ...

good thing is its drawn to my attention a body called the Spiritualists Workers Association (you can probably access their site from over there) who are heavily invlved in this field and with whom i have now registered.
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/25/2008 4:41 AM (#5730 - in reply to #5715)

PhD Alumni

good thing is its drawn to my attention a body called the Spiritualists Workers Association (you can probably access their site from over there) who are heavily involved in this field and with whom i have now registered.
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/25/2008 4:43 AM (#5731 - in reply to #5728)

PhD Alumni

Sorry, correction, Spiritual Workers Association (who are also equally interested in hearing mroe about UMS!) So good things can come of bad.
instinctual
Posted 5/25/2008 12:02 PM (#5744 - in reply to #5618)

PhD Alumni

I love that! haha!!!

thx for the info, I will visit their site...glad their are governing bodies for our important work. Amen

Lori
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/25/2008 1:39 PM (#5748 - in reply to #5744)

PhD Alumni

Namaste.

Blessings to every single soul, molecule, nano-object, dark space, dark matter .. to end times and beginning times ... all leading to the Light, in each of us

everything over and over again

keep on with the blessings, please xxx
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/25/2008 1:41 PM (#5749 - in reply to #5618)

PhD Alumni

... post went too quickly !

... we are the thought that thinks, the Love which loves
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)