University Of Metaphysical Sciences
University Of Metaphysical Sciences ->  General Public -> Metaphysics Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Raw Food
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Public -> Metaphysics DiscussionMessage format

Paul Joseph
Posted 5/14/2008 3:38 PM (#5300)
Subject: Raw Food

PhD Alumni

Just checking from those who know about nutrition if there are any kinds of raw vegetables - or the boiled juices of such - that we should not eat ?

Although recognising that this is a sensitive and in fact rather ridiculous question when 37 + countries are rioting for the food essentials.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tracy Martin
Posted 5/14/2008 3:45 PM (#5304 - in reply to #5300)
Subject: RE: Raw Food

Alumni

Do not ingest poison oak or poison ivy, many mushrooms and flowers may be quite toxic. Raw potatoes are not so good I heard. Raw meat is not so good either!

Paul Joseph
Posted 5/14/2008 3:49 PM (#5305 - in reply to #5304)

PhD Alumni

Ohh Tracy, i am not that daft !! I shold have been more specific - i was referring to vegetables !! I note your comment about potatos, though Christine says that drinking the boiled water from them helps the system become more alkaline; and your USA WWE wrestling star Stone Cold Steve Austin said he lived off raw potatoes for a time ...
... i was thinking more about such things as green beans, which the UK gets from Kenya (or Peru), and which the label says, must be cooked .... and yet, certanly in Kenya, there are food shortages .. i know you said in previous post we should start planting, thiough that is a slightly different point, though equally valid of course !! And a better one, infact !!!
Tracy Martin
Posted 5/14/2008 4:21 PM (#5312 - in reply to #5300)

Alumni

oOo Paul, I knew you were not daft, I was being silly. I laughed. There are so many raw plants that we can eat though, including flowers and mushrooms. 

And, if your food source is not organic and washed, or if it comes from countries who have been sold US chemicals that are forbidden to be used here because they were determined to be hazardous, I can understand why the label would say 'cook!' But green beans can be eaten raw too. 

Paul Joseph
Posted 5/15/2008 8:46 AM (#5347 - in reply to #5312)

PhD Alumni

Thanks; interesting you mention flowers; we were in a little local Chinese family run restauarant once and the food was presented decoated with a flower - not sure which, maybe a chyrsanthemum; it loked so good and inviting that I ate it; my family thought I was mad, and the owner was not sure .. but it tasted very good; ever after, the food was served decoarted with a carved carrot !!
Tracy Martin
Posted 5/15/2008 11:53 AM (#5359 - in reply to #5300)

Alumni

Some edible flowers: chrysanthemum, nasturtium, tuberous begonia (the best!), viola, pansy, johnny jump up, lilac, lavender, mustard flowers, radish flowers, brocccoli flowers, mullein, day lilies (stir fried or breaded and fried), squash flowers (breaded and fried) There are so many more!

Flowers are not a meal in themselves and you probably shouldn't have too many at a time, maybe a small handful, but they can be added to your salads, some are spicy and some are sweet.  They do have good nutritional value for us too.

Flower Power!

Paul Joseph
Posted 5/15/2008 11:57 AM (#5360 - in reply to #5359)

PhD Alumni

Hmm .. thanks; interesting list. Though I think I said in another post, either Animal Power, or Communing with Creation, that, after getting seriously into the UMS meditations, I started to have the most vivid experience of flowers speaking to me, though not with words, with radiant vibrational energy; so I am not sure I could get into eating them !!
Tracy Martin
Posted 5/15/2008 12:07 PM (#5362 - in reply to #5300)

Alumni

My friend is using flower essences with her children and husband to help them to deal with their challenges. The vibrational energy of flowers does have a powerful impact on us, visually, energetically, and many of the flowers help us with very specific needs. Here it is: we give respect, admiration, and love for the creation, for the beauty of flowers, trees and plants, and still...they provide us with life giving nutrition.

instinctual
Posted 5/15/2008 2:29 PM (#5380 - in reply to #5300)

PhD Alumni

This perhaps should be the beginning of a new post because it is not specifically about raw food, per se, but it is about a wonderful author Barbara Kingsolver ( of Poisonwood Bible fame ) and the journey that she and her family took. Based on the valid concern about the actual carbon footprint emissions of items in grocery stores , they decided to make a personal family sacrifice for the sake of the environment. Picking up and leaving Tucson, they moved to the Appalachian area. There, they created an almost completely self sustained environment-living mostly on what they themselves cultivated in their own dirt. They consumed only what was in season. What they didn't grow or produce, their neighbors did. It talks about their discipline,it gave them an appreciation for fresh fruit that was not allowed to be purchased at the grocery store, and they never seemed to tire of asparagus 7 days a week when it was prime!
The book is Animal, Vegetable Mineral. What a wonderful story about a wonderful family. Totally recommended!
instinctual
Posted 6/17/2008 9:11 PM (#6609 - in reply to #5300)

PhD Alumni

Whoops!

I mean

Animal Vegetable Miracle! Awesome book, so inspiring!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2016 PD9 Software