University Of Metaphysical Sciences
University Of Metaphysical Sciences ->  General Public -> Metaphysics Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Euthanism... letting go~
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Public -> Metaphysics DiscussionMessage format

Supernatural3
Posted 5/12/2008 7:43 PM (#5171)
Subject: Euthanism... letting go~

PhD Alumni

Well, this morning I had to do the inevitable. I had to put my baby pup of 13+ years to sleep. He was near blind, pretty darn deaf and had growths stemming all over. But the worse part is that he no longer could use his back legs. Watching him not be able to have a bowel movement, and have to pee while laying down was the extremity that drove my desire to just let him go. I drove him to the vet and well, it was over in a matter of a few moments. He did just lay down and sleep, then his heart just stopped.

We buried schmo-dawg this early evening in our backyard.

Gizmo Taz aka Schmo-dawg died today, but is now FREE. Was a rough day for our family.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
MollyB
Posted 5/12/2008 8:18 PM (#5172 - in reply to #5171)
Subject: RE: Euthanism... letting go~

Student

Very sorry to hear about your pup. I've always like the following poem...makes me cry, but makes me happy at the same time.

The Rainbow Bridge

inspired by a Norse legend

By the edge of a woods, at the foot of a hill,
Is a lush, green meadow where time stands still.
Where the friends of man and woman do run,
When their time on earth is over and done.

For here, between this world and the next,
Is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.
On this golden land, they wait and they play,
Till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.

No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,
For here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.
Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,
Their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.

They romp through the grass, without even a care,
Until one day they start, and sniff at the air.
All ears prick forward, eyes dart front and back,
Then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.

For just at that instant, their eyes have met;
Together again, both person and pet.
So they run to each other, these friends from long past,
The time of their parting is over at last.

The sadness they felt while they were apart,
Has turned into joy once more in each heart.
They embrace with a love that will last forever,
And then, side-by-side, they cross over… together.
instinctual
Posted 5/12/2008 8:27 PM (#5173 - in reply to #5171)

PhD Alumni

Oh Jill..my heart aches for you and your family...I am so sorry for your loss...they have a way of seeping into our hearts and cells. I bet he was the best dog ever...
instinctual
Posted 5/12/2008 8:30 PM (#5174 - in reply to #5172)

PhD Alumni

Oh Molly...sigh..
so beautiful

I have an 18 year old cocker who is living his last days right now..and we are experiencing dread and denial. Jill- you are very brave to put the dog first, to open your eyes to him and to be unselfish. Great respect for you. When the student is ready, the teacher comes. Thank you for teaching me.
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/13/2008 6:57 AM (#5180 - in reply to #5171)

PhD Alumni

Likewise, condolences Supern3 .. that must have been a difficult decision. As you say though, now he is free.

My mother has been always atached to her vast variety of pets over the years, and has their ashes all in boxes in her room; alongside, since 2005, the ashes of my father; which I continue to try to gently persuade me to take away and scatter on a hill or in the sea, but she still feels that she needs him there with her ....

Nice poem MollyB.

Let's raise a toast to illusion, and also, to the passing of illusion, and look forward to taking our own steps on the inevitable Rainbow Bridge
Supernatural3
Posted 5/13/2008 8:17 AM (#5181 - in reply to #5171)

PhD Alumni

Thank you everyone, for the support and kind words and beautiful poem. I actually cannot stand that his body is in our back yard and would rather him be in the form of ashes. I don't know why, i guess i know right now that he will slowly rot away and i don't like that. But I did what my kids wanted. They couldn't let go totally and we couldn't really afford to have him placed in an urn. Burial was a place that would keep him home. That seemed important to me.

Schmo-dawg was a member of our family, just as much as everyone else. He was the best dog anyone could have. He did tricks and even knew when you were looking at him. Even last week, my husband was amazed that the second i would look in his direction, he would sit pretty. The moment i looked away, he would rest. (we were at the dinner table). Yes, he begged while we ate, because he knew he would always get left overs. I know that is most likely a no-no.... but he was always healthy for the tiny little pup. He was a Shih-tzu. He couldn't even see very well, but knew the direction of our heads to still see that we were looking into his direction.

Our house just doesn't feel the same. I cried all last night and yesterday, it's so hard to let go. Everyone's words do help so much.
Thank you~
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/13/2008 8:58 AM (#5186 - in reply to #5181)

PhD Alumni

In case you didn't notice I posted in another thread about my mother's last surviving cat, Smudge, who they got as a stray years ago, so do not know how old he is ... he had to have his claws removed 'cos he lost the art of retracting them and couldn't therefore walk on the carpet; he has had his teeth out so canot chew his food properly; can only see a little bit; but he soldiers on; he avoids Teddy, the dog, because Teddy is too boisterous. So he knows what's what; but it is diffucult to know when their souls want to move on.

Teddy is so called, because he looks like a Teddy bear, was given to my mum as a puppy by my dad 6 weeks before he (dad) died (unexpectedly); as D W Winnicott tells us, Teddy bears are transitional objects, helping us adjust to the losses involved with growing up, parting etc ... funny old world of Coincidence, Precognitive Sensation, etc isn't it ...

Blessings

Supernatural3
Posted 5/13/2008 11:54 AM (#5194 - in reply to #5171)

PhD Alumni

Awww, yeah it's so hard to know when it's time. I only knew it was time, because he wouldn't stop making grunting noises, like he was in pain. His legs became paralyzed with-in a two day span. The down hill came really fast. One moment normal (other than eyes and ears), but the next it was like a ten year age in two days. I couldn't stand watching him not be able to get around and shake, and struggle to move. I just couldn't let it continue.

HUGS to all those pets we love so much... they love us unconditionally. However, I still cannot stop crying. In the back of my mind is this horrible feeling of loss and I still wonder if this would have passed and another year could have happened? It's too late now... i have to just hope that it truly was the answer. But, things will never be the same.

I have dedicated the song: I will never be the same by Melissa Etheridge.

Paul Joseph
Posted 5/13/2008 12:34 PM (#5195 - in reply to #5194)

PhD Alumni

I mentioned this poem the other day. I hope it offers some comfort:

Stages (by Herman Hesse)

As every flower fades and as all youth
Departs, so life at every stage,
So every virtue, so our grasp of truth,
Blooms in its day and may not last forever.
Since life may summon us at every age
Be ready, heart, for parting, new endeavour,
Be ready bravely and without remorse
To find new light that old ties canot give
In all beginnings dwells a magic force
For guarding us and helping us to live

Serenely let us move to distant places
And let no sentiments of home detain us.
The Cosmic Spirit seeks not to restrain us
But lifts us, stage by stage to wider spaces.
If we accept a home of our own making
Familiair habits make for indolence.
We must prepare for parting and leave-taking
Or else remain the slaves of permanence.

Even the hour of our death may send
Us speeding on to fresh and newer spaces,
And life may summon us to newer races.
So be it, heart: bid farewell without end.

--------------------

Also, 'Do not stand at my grave and weep, i am not there, I do not sleep, i am in the winds that blow, i am in the winter snow, the birds that fly ' (those lines are from memeory; the poem can be easily found on the interent, although there are a couple of different versions; by a Canadian poet. Let me know if you cannot find/cannot be boithered to look but would like it.

Namaste
Supernatural3
Posted 5/13/2008 9:36 PM (#5214 - in reply to #5171)

PhD Alumni

Thank you so much..... it means the world, and truly does help.

HUGS
mruppert
Posted 5/14/2008 1:46 AM (#5220 - in reply to #5171)

Hi DocJ et al:
     I feel for you Doc, as I also had dogs, but no more for me!
My Pom, didn't go for a walk, she went for a prance...with those little feet and that wavy hair.
     When I married Isis, on the fifth day of May, my cat Inkspot (aka Inky) was so old, it was incredible. Yet, she moved with us to a new house and lived another ten years. At almost thirty human years old, Inky was decrepit...with failing kidneys. Soooo we took her to the vet and the vet said that the best thing to do was to grant her peace and so we did. BUT, Isis went to pieces and never really recovered from that. Sooooooo, we let Pendleton (aka Penicin, since my little girl couldn't say Pendleton) leave this world at her home, on her chair, of old age, at twentysix.
     Lucky and Poppy are my oldest but chances are they won't outlive me...and that is, indeed, playing the odds. Chances are greater that SissyGirl will outlive me. She is, afterall, my youngest, at only 12 yo, compared to Lucky , who is 19 yo; and Poppy is her baby, so is 19 minus a few months.
     What is really strange, Doc, is that I don't really think about how I will go on after my cats die, I NOW think about what will happen to them IF I die. Who will care for them? What will happen to them?

Peace n' Purrs,
Marty, and feline Luckylee, Poppsicle and Sissystick
sunflower
Posted 5/14/2008 3:32 AM (#5228 - in reply to #5171)

Elite Veteran

hi,supernatural,reading your grief,makes me want to give you a big healing hug,i send all my love,and much warmth in my heat to youluvx
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/14/2008 9:39 AM (#5256 - in reply to #5214)

PhD Alumni

Spnl3 - I see you are online - you didn't say about the other poem, so am posting it, from the web-source, in case if not, apologies and ignore [if you go to the web-site you aill also see different versions ! this is suggested as the original))-

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am in a thousand winds that blow,
I am the softly falling snow.
I am the gentle showers of rain,
I am the fields of ripening grain.
I am in the morning hush,
I am in the graceful rush
Of beautiful birds in circling flight,
I am the starshine of the night.
I am in the flowers that bloom,
I am in a quiet room.
I am in the birds that sing,
I am in each lovely thing.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there. I do not die.
(by Mary Frye)

NothingEverything
Posted 5/14/2008 9:43 AM (#5258 - in reply to #5171)

UMS Student

Beautiful
Supernatural3
Posted 5/14/2008 10:10 AM (#5261 - in reply to #5171)

PhD Alumni

PJ, Thank you, that is absolutely beautiful. sf, thank you for the hugs and kind words, it is genuinely felt. Martini, if i thought for a second that he would have recovered, i wouldn't have let him go. It would be wonderful to have so much more time with pets. I think even just 13 yrs is too short. It's not really fair that pets live so short. I know that dogs never live as long as cats. I can never have cats. I do have a puppy now. We have had her about 6 months now. Schmo-dawg did not like her at all. I felt so guilty getting another puppy, but she was not a replacement. She was free and needed a home. It took ol schmo a long time to get used to another pup in the house, but slowly he was getting used to her.

You know, I have wanted to FEEL my schmo dawg around, and i haven't felt him. I hope he isn't mad at me. Like the poems say, he is free and in everything, but I am prone to normally feel these things. Why can't I feel him? I don't get it.

I miss him, i long for him and i honestly don't think I will get over this. So as the song says "let me rest in pieces"..... Which is another great song to grieve by Saliva.

Normally times like these heighten my senses. I don't understand why my psychic sense is failing me right now. Normally i would meditate and find comfort and now, i meditate and nothing. Usually i make some sort of connection. So i feel something is off. I keep asking my guides to find schmo and guide him or help him if he is lost. I feel lost.... this is unusual for me. This human life can be so damn tormenting.

My gosh sunflower, how did you make it through your loss? I am in hysteria over a pet, which was still family, but it's not like i lost a child. I couldn't handle that and i know it. We have no choice but to hope and know that life is eternal and we WILL see our loved ones again. Animal or not is no different. At least I do not think so... energy is energy and we all take turns being anything we want. I know this... yet the human side wants more. The human side wants the connection to remain......
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/14/2008 10:19 AM (#5262 - in reply to #5261)

PhD Alumni

I think/feel/sense/whatever that we need to permit the souls of the departed to depart & find their new path, before coming back to us in whatever way they might choose or we might be able to perceive. I felt that with my father. The death passage might be more, or less, an ordeal, depending on how much we have prepared ourselves for it (cf, the Tibetan & Egyptian Books of the Dead & the guidance to meditate on our own deaths). The soul spirit seems to need time to settle and find its own way, which is different to our calling on it to be back with us.
NothingEverything
Posted 5/14/2008 10:21 AM (#5264 - in reply to #5261)

UMS Student

Supernatural3 - 2008-05-15 11:10 PM

Normally times like these heighten my senses. I don't understand why my psychic sense is failing me right now. Normally i would meditate and find comfort and now, i meditate and nothing. Usually i make some sort of connection. So i feel something is off. I keep asking my guides to find schmo and guide him or help him if he is lost. I feel lost.... this is unusual for me. This human life can be so damn tormenting.
QUOTE]

Silence too, is an answer.
Supernatural3
Posted 5/14/2008 2:07 PM (#5283 - in reply to #5171)

PhD Alumni

Perhaps..... i am not used to silence. I do not like it. But.... sometimes it is needed.

And yes, being patient is something we have no choice, but to do. As I am trying....

Thank you all, for your help. It DOES help.... just like a jolt will bring you back to focus.

Blessings~
Tracy Martin
Posted 5/14/2008 2:22 PM (#5286 - in reply to #5171)

Alumni

Dear Jill ~ you have such a tender heart and you are so familiar with grief ~ I wish for you gentleness in your thoughts, may there be friends and family and joyful life-force in your presence. In our limited way we can embrace the stillness, the emptiness, and the loss with you, and share the ache that we have all experienced, to let you know that we care.
Supernatural3
Posted 5/14/2008 2:29 PM (#5288 - in reply to #5171)

PhD Alumni

......and it is because of friends / family like you all, that we can get through such times.
Love and HUGS to you too Tracy....

Thank you!
sunflower
Posted 5/15/2008 6:11 AM (#5331 - in reply to #5261)

Elite Veteran

a warm and loving hello jill,my heart aches for you.I remember many years ago,we had a lovely dog,a cross between a collie and a corgie,a really funny mix,collie body with short legs,loved to bits,he had a stroke suddenly,at 12yrs old,i called the vet,and he said i had a choice to put him on pills,or let him go,there was no choice to me,i loved him so,but his back legs had gone,and he had lost control of his ablutions,but my modern medice he could have lived maybe a few years.All i saw was a soul suffering,no hope of a joyful existence,eg walks,freedom,etc,so i told the vet to give the injection,i held his paw,as he gave it,tears streaming down my face,then suddenly,as the needle went in,his little face turned to me,we looked at each other,and there was releif,a thankyou,and a goodbye till we meet again,in that one look,that silent communication.All life is precious,love heals all.With my daughter,as i nursed her at home,a similar situation,she had a device in her arm,for me to press,each hour,when she was restless in pain,they told me somtimes people don,t wake from this,but usualy only elderly,debs was young,when it came to the end of her oxygen bottle,i went to replace it,and the doctor said no,within seconds,she turned to me as she lay in my arms,again,that look of understanding,loving,peace,we both knew,then she took her last breath.
I say these things not to depress,but to bring hope to you,and love,true love is letting go,debs,and my dog were holding on,it was time for them to go to their true home,i knew they both would miss me,as i miss them,always will,but i know they are now free,happy,loving in their freedom.Grief,when at its worst,stops us ,or blocks us,or the spirits of these souls to come through straight away,they are there,and trying,and they do succeed,i promise,i know,as it has happened,but your loving dog is with you,by your side,always has been,always will be,soon you will see,feel,hear,they are with you while you heal,i pray your heart heals soon,but please know you are loved,and not alone,your dog is by your side even in this moment,in the silence,love and hugs to you xx
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/15/2008 8:17 AM (#5337 - in reply to #5331)

PhD Alumni

Interesting and moving story Sunflower. It reminded me of my father, who was profoundly affected by strokes from the age of 58 onwards; he had always been a very active and strong man - who, equally too loved all animals - and to only be able to sit in a chair, and not even be able to read a book, was a living nightmare for him ... the point of this is, that once, on one of my visits, I will always remember, he said to me, with his very ironic, sardonic, Northern humour,

'If I were a dog, I'd have myself put down'.

Namaste to the Eternal Spirits that walk with us, and of which, we are part, as with all creation; seen and unseen xx
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/2/2016 6:33 AM (#27490 - in reply to #5171)
Subject: Re: Euthanism... letting go~

PhD Alumni

There are some interesting and touching old posts here that I thought might be of interest .... and reminders of absent former friends too ... my rummage through old threads was evoked by some recent ones .. the Board now has quite a good search facility which it did not used to have, just type in keywords or names

Edited by Paul Joseph 5/2/2016 6:40 AM
Supernatural3
Posted 5/2/2016 2:33 PM (#27494 - in reply to #5171)

PhD Alumni

Yeah... Some really great topics and priceless info all over this forum. 8 years ago this month we buried our beloved schmo dawg.... he is still thought of much and i must say, has made appearances around the home. I tripped over him at one point, thinking it was our current pup Mixi (The special needs dog), but she was in her cage from being wet... so it had to be Schmo that barely created me to fall on my booty trying not to step on him. Ghosts appear real occasionally. Could have been residual energy too. My hands were full and I was screaming at Mixi for going under my feet while i was trying to get through.... LOL. She was indeed in her cage. Hmmmm

Thanks Paul~ 

Disa
Posted 5/2/2016 5:21 PM (#27497 - in reply to #5171)

Alumni

Awe, I must not have been around the board at the time this thread was posted. I'm glad, Jill that Schmo has made appearances around your home. We had to put our favorite dog to sleep several years ago, as well. He, too makes appearances. To me and to my daughter. I sometimes see a flash of black fur as he moves across the living room floor. More often than that, though- I hear his nails tap tap tapping on the hard wood floors as he walks into my bedroom at night, turns three times and plops his 65 pound body in the floor beside where I sleep. I didn't realize just how much I loved that dog, until he wasn't here anymore. But.... he IS still here...sometimes
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2016 PD9 Software