University Of Metaphysical Sciences
University Of Metaphysical Sciences ->  General Public -> Metaphysics Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Aleister Crowley's LAM
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Public -> Metaphysics DiscussionMessage format

NothingEverything
Posted 5/9/2008 9:24 AM (#5038)
Subject: Aleister Crowley's LAM

UMS Student

Please research and discuss.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/9/2008 9:31 AM (#5039 - in reply to #5038)
Subject: RE: Aleister Crowley's LAM

PhD Alumni

Neat web-site you have NE, by the way.
NothingEverything
Posted 5/9/2008 9:40 AM (#5040 - in reply to #5038)

UMS Student

haha! Thanks.
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/9/2008 9:52 AM (#5043 - in reply to #5040)

PhD Alumni

Back to this AC guy, is LAM that trance track, 'Like a Metaphysician' ?
NothingEverything
Posted 5/9/2008 10:12 AM (#5044 - in reply to #5038)

UMS Student

LAM is the name of the being Aleister Crowley said to of communed with.
The subject of Aleister Crowley itself, can go on quite a while here.
Im interested in Lam, and the "Secret Chiefs", and in what information others may have.
I think this subject can evolve into a myriad of other subjects and want to see where it leads.
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/9/2008 10:48 AM (#5047 - in reply to #5044)

PhD Alumni

Sorry, I was being playful. Back to serious then.

Misunderstandingly yours

Paul
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/9/2008 11:24 AM (#5049 - in reply to #5047)

PhD Alumni

Ok more seriously; I had never taken up much with AC, mainly because of his own, as i understood it, self-definition as a magus more into sorcery and what used to be termed 'black' magic, or the art of personal aggrandisement. But I am open to correction if I have misunderstood. As for 'secret chiefs', i wonder if that has anything to do with the idea of the 'Masters of Wisdom', a term used by J G Bennet, a student of Gurdjeiff's in the early 1900s. Bennet travelled widely in the Middle East himself (as had Gurdjeiff) and claimed to have uncovered a line of Wisdom teachers, called the Naq'shbandis, who were Sufi, but also that these Wisdom scholars had links with Western traditions (hence, i guess, that other - sorry, dreadful - book The Secret, of which i shall say no more), and that there was this line of Wisdom teaching going back through, eg, Shakespeare, Da Vinci (oh no not that book too, again!) .... and that it was a hidden esoteric school for reasons as discussed on other threads ... Bennet wrote his book, The Masters of Wisdom, in around 1976 (I think, may need checking), could have been written earlier but published posthumously, as he had been concerned too about too much disclosure (he had also been a high ranking soldier & industrialist) - interesting, becuase I sometimes wonder if the present East-West conflicts, including the Iraq war, etc. might have something to do with some kind of assault on esoterism. The Naq'shnadi were based in what was formerly Persia, now Iraq.

Going wider and deeper, and in line with sacred archaeology (eg, Graham Hancock, i think is the researcher); that the pyramids, again, east, west and underwater, are the vestiges of the Atlantean culture, some of which were either build as siting stones for that earlier culture, or as warning indicators for future generations; thus the 'Secret Chiefs' or Masters of Wisdom, contained a lineage of teaching of the Science of the Sacred as a protection for mankind's dark times. But some of this becomes slightly speculative, although not that much so, if the connections are made. Erikson's researches on 'Atlantis in America' are also of interest.
MollyB
Posted 5/9/2008 12:43 PM (#5053 - in reply to #5038)

Student

I've always been very drawn to Crowley, finding him to be often misunderstood by those who have never taken the time to read his works. But..that's not what you asked about, haha!

Anyway, as far as the entity LAM is concerned...seems I read something somewhere (sorry forget the reference) that LAM is a being doing, in essence, lightwork through an interdimensional connection with the Andromeda galaxy. If I remember correctly, that was an assumption based not on Crowley's connection to the entity but a later "channeling" by someone else. There's also an offshoot of the OTO specifically dealing with this type of contact, which I find rather interesting, but I don't know too much about them. Just what I've read online.

If you want a personal opinion, Aleister opened up a lot of portals and communed with a multitude of beings. The fact that the famous LAM artwork resembles what most consider an extraterrestrial representation...well, I wouldn't be surprised if he figured out a way to magickally open a door in time and space and commune with beings from other galaxies.

So I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for a more deeper discussion...if that's the case, then I can pipe in later!!

Molly
Supernatural3
Posted 5/9/2008 1:11 PM (#5059 - in reply to #5038)

PhD Alumni

I have not learned a great deal about AC either. While I had some of his books, I have never gotten around to reading them. Shame on me, but I had a HUGE collection of books, since i once owned a metaphysical a book store. Since then, most my books were sold, and I did not get the chance to read many of them.

I do know about channel guides, and while this is about LAM and I am very interested, i also want to mention Abraham. Another entity that gave Esther and Jerry Hicks their incredible information about our universe. I have listened to those audio books and can relate to what you are talking about.

I am a huge believer in channeling information from higher sources. I cannot wait to learn more here. I did find this link for those who want to know a little.

http://www.excludedmiddle.com/LAMstatement.html
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/9/2008 4:56 PM (#5060 - in reply to #5053)

PhD Alumni

My comments were tempered with some knowledge of Crowley over my 54 years in this life of spiritual seeking. I do not need to have read, though, Mein Kampf, to understand Hitler; " ... Finally there was Aleister Crowley, a remarkable and demonic magician whose career brought ruin to many others as well as himself .... Crowley was convinced he was ..[Shakespeare] himself .. he was obsessed by sex ... " [there is more, but it only underlines my point] (this from 'The Supernatural' by Colin Wilson, Parragon Books 1994). That was the first book I could find on my shelf that contained the Crowley material I remembered, but there are others. For some reason, more recently, Crowley seems clearly to have developed a following. Not everyone who has offered themselves as leaders on the spiritual path have had the best of intentions, however.

MollyB
Posted 5/9/2008 6:20 PM (#5065 - in reply to #5038)

Student

Paul?

I wasn't directing my comment to anyone in particular...just making a general statement. But since you brought it up, where Crowley is concerned, reading what others have said (most of the time biased, sometimes just downright false), or looking at those who claim to be his followers (aka Brian Warner) rather than perusing at least a fair amount of his own body of work will not tell anyone much about him, his practices or his beliefs. I have done my own fair amount of Spiritual study and I can tell you with absolute certainty he is NOT the 'demon' he is made out to be. His body of work is vast and full of esoteric knowledge as well as physics, mathematics, poetry, plays, novels, etc. I will be the first to admit, he's not for everyone, though, and it is certainly one's own choice as to whether his works should be explored. I can only speak to the fact that he is one of the greatest guides I have encountered on my Spiritual path.

I shall leave you with this...

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law...

Paul Joseph
Posted 5/9/2008 6:41 PM (#5067 - in reply to #5065)

PhD Alumni

... I have put away my reference book, and its past my bedtime here in the UK, but can dig out more history tomorrow relating to the events of Crowley's life if anyone likes. His 'Do what thou wilt' is actually a crib from St Augustine's, 'Love God, and do what you will'. His is the kind of powerful spirit that I like to feel protected from in meditation. But if you find it helpful Molly, then, so be it - no offence meant!
MollyB
Posted 5/9/2008 9:21 PM (#5070 - in reply to #5038)

Student

No offense taken....I was merely stating an opposing opinion.
NothingEverything
Posted 5/9/2008 11:29 PM (#5073 - in reply to #5038)

UMS Student

This has all been great so far!
I had more more, but took it back, haha

Edited by NothingEverything 5/9/2008 11:34 PM
mruppert
Posted 5/10/2008 1:23 AM (#5078 - in reply to #5038)

Hmmmm.....the AC that I know is the dude who was instrumental in the birth of The Golden Dawn. I know this because of Rosicrucian teachings and that he was into Tarot. A chick liked him and did some drawings of Tarot...the drawings for some "mysterious" reasons wound up with Arthur Edward Waite, and Waite created the Rider Tarot deck, of which I have an original set. But, Crowley also had Frieda Harris on the side, much closer to him than USA Pamela somebody (I honestly don't remember her name and could look it up but I am too lazy, let us just say Waite's babe) and he created another set based on Egyptian imagery and the Book of Thoth.

Crowley wrote 777, as the Roseys have their Liber 777 as a fundamental text.

I do not have Crowley's cards, nor do I want them. His 666 persona, in his later years, only convinces me that he was what he was, a ........but I will leave the final words in my mind up to your imagination.

The Rider deck is the deck that I am most comfortable with, having experienced 13 others that I have. Absolutely upset by spreads, I developed a variation of the celtic cross which I call
the roman cross. This spread I can read with a 99% success rate.

And yaknow, that is dammmm good for me, as I have no psychic or clairvoyant ability whatsoever.........but I will match any other reader any day, any place and any time!

Peace n' Understanding,
Marty and Golden Dawn Cats...we like birdies....Luckster, Poppster, and Sissssster
sunflower
Posted 5/10/2008 2:45 AM (#5082 - in reply to #5078)

Elite Veteran

ahh, muppet,fighting talk,seems someones got your goat,of course u,ve got physic abilities,everyone has the ability,some choose to abuse,physic,and all the other associated links,to do with spiritual,which is to me just simple intuition,that gut feeling,each to his or her own,i use tarot cards,for my own info,and communication,amazing accuracy,just as intuition.
NothingEverything
Posted 5/10/2008 3:18 AM (#5083 - in reply to #5038)

UMS Student

On further research, youll find that the Hermetic order of the Golden Dawn will take us to Mathers, and a whole array of dramatic events, and bring us again to the secret chiefs, and LAM.
NothingEverything
Posted 5/10/2008 4:23 AM (#5092 - in reply to #5038)

UMS Student

http://www.unknowncountry.com/mindframe/opinion/?id=199
What i was going to talk about on the post i didnt post.
sunflower
Posted 5/10/2008 9:57 AM (#5096 - in reply to #5067)

Elite Veteran

hi,i creep in quietly on this,not,didn,t mr crowley,alsitair,talk to trees,birds,etc,in the forests,he probably did a whole pile of other stuff as well,theres good and bad in us all to some degree,or light and dark,ying and yang,thats the trouble with history,in time,the true facts get distorted,bit like the game chinese whispers,yes pj,dig more,i find it interesting,isn,t lam something spiritual,dhali lami,or something like that,don,t know,but won,t lose no sleep over it,luv x
MollyB
Posted 5/10/2008 1:57 PM (#5111 - in reply to #5038)

Student

Thank you for beginning this thread, NothingEverything.

I had not researched much on this topic beyond Aleister's artistic depiction of LAM, including the work of Hubbard and his cohorts. After reading on the link you provided and beyond about the secret chiefs...seems like there is a connection to be made to higher orders of Spirits and cosmic entities spoken of in different faiths. Just various names for the same beings, perhaps. I don't know if Aleister, L. Ron and company can be credited (or blamed, depending on frame of reference) for bringing alien visitation to this planet? I'm not saying it's not possible....just an 'I don't know, my jury is still out on that thought'. However, thinking from a physical standpoint, a stargate or portal could certainly be necessary to attain physical contact with physical beings in the distant physical Universe. It's interesting that Aleister found the need to seal this opening after creating it. Either he was just being a responsible worker of Magick, or there was something there he felt compelled to keep at bay. However, if the latter were true, why allow it to be reopened? Anyway, I plan on researching this more...what conclusions have you drawn, NothingEverything? I would be very interested to hear your opinions.

A side note...in the Sepher Sephiroth, a dictionary of the numerical value of words and phrases in Hebrew, 666 is the mathematical equivalent of the words:

Aleister Crowley
E. Aleister Crowley (his given first name was Edward)
The Beast
The Spirit of the Sun
and among other things...
The name of Jesus

MollyB
Posted 5/10/2008 2:35 PM (#5113 - in reply to #5038)

Student

Also of interest, perhaps...

from 777, in Aleister's own words regarding his attachment to the number 666...

"Chosen by myself as my symbol, partly for the reasons given in Part 1., partly for the reasons given in the Apocalypse. I took the beast to be the Lion (Leo is my rising sign) and Sol, 6, 666, the lord or Leo on which Babalon should ride..."

In "Part 1", Gematria, 666 is designated the last number of the Sun (ruling planet of his rising sign, Leo) based on Jewish mystical 'numerology'. He writes much more on the subject of 666 being his chosen magickal symbol in "777" and other writings.

Edited by MollyB 5/10/2008 2:36 PM
Kierlanar
Posted 5/10/2008 2:47 PM (#5114 - in reply to #5038)

New user

Good morning all & sundry,

I have followed threads on the forums for a while now, and this is the first time I have felt the desire to post a response. I do want to preface this by saying what I have to offer is an opinion only, as I have very limited knowledge, and this is to say next to none, of Mr. Crowley.

What I find interesting is that a request for research and discussion turned seemingly into a Crowley "slam-fest", which has little to do with the OP's intent and/or desires. Whether one finds the views of Mr. Crowley's journeys into what became his beliefs objectionable or not, has nothing to do with the request. I think it fair to say no one on the boards has any first hand knowledge of Mr. Crowley, and the best we can accomplish is opinions based on "first and a half hand" knowledge. No one here actually SPOKE with him (first hand), two it seems have actually read any of his works. This, to me, is "first and a half hand" knowledge as we can read his works, yet have no availability to ask questions of what we are unsure about. Making judgements of Mr. Crowley or his works based on opinions of others without having first (or even after) read those works is a bit like passing judgement on a suspect without first hearing evidence.

But I digress...my apologies.

In reading what NE (if I may be so bold) linked, and what Molly B followed with, I do find the connecting relationships an interesting coincidence...if such a thing actually exists, and I would really enjoy seeing what comes of this discussion.

Respectfully,

Kier

Edited by Kierlanar 5/10/2008 2:52 PM
NothingEverything
Posted 5/11/2008 12:05 AM (#5124 - in reply to #5111)
Subject: ---

UMS Student

Edited by NothingEverything 5/11/2008 12:09 AM
NothingEverything
Posted 5/11/2008 12:06 AM (#5125 - in reply to #5111)
Subject: ---

UMS Student

Edited by NothingEverything 5/11/2008 12:07 AM
NothingEverything
Posted 5/11/2008 12:06 AM (#5126 - in reply to #5111)

UMS Student

MollyB - 2008-05-11 2:57 AM

Thank you for beginning this thread, NothingEverything.

I had not researched much on this topic beyond Aleister's artistic depiction of LAM, including the work of Hubbard and his cohorts. After reading on the link you provided and beyond about the secret chiefs...seems like there is a connection to be made to higher orders of Spirits and cosmic entities spoken of in different faiths. Just various names for the same beings, perhaps. I don't know if Aleister, L. Ron and company can be credited (or blamed, depending on frame of reference) for bringing alien visitation to this planet? I'm not saying it's not possible....just an 'I don't know, my jury is still out on that thought'. However, thinking from a physical standpoint, a stargate or portal could certainly be necessary to attain physical contact with physical beings in the distant physical Universe. It's interesting that Aleister found the need to seal this opening after creating it. Either he was just being a responsible worker of Magick, or there was something there he felt compelled to keep at bay. However, if the latter were true, why allow it to be reopened? Anyway, I plan on researching this more...what conclusions have you drawn, NothingEverything? I would be very interested to hear your opinions.

A side note...in the Sepher Sephiroth, a dictionary of the numerical value of words and phrases in Hebrew, 666 is the mathematical equivalent of the words:

Aleister Crowley
E. Aleister Crowley (his given first name was Edward)
The Beast
The Spirit of the Sun
and among other things...
The name of Jesus

Excellent!
In my opinion, 666 was a great Magi, very meticulous, genius, and thorough in his practices.
Many believe that contact, and therefore, guidance from extraterrestrial beings is the
path to intentional spiritual development, or as 666 called "The Great Work"
I have my own views on this, and believe in realizing our inner potential through introspection and the removal of ego.
Whether you choose self restraint or absolute freedom of will is each persons path.
Both develop will.
As for the portal, I believe 666 never meant it to be opened again.
I have many views on why this is.
I do believe that its reopening and failure to close has opened us for Lam to come freely.
This is only my opinion and made through research and intuition.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2016 PD9 Software