University Of Metaphysical Sciences
University Of Metaphysical Sciences ->  General Public -> Metaphysics Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sacred Texts
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Public -> Metaphysics DiscussionMessage format

Louise
Posted 4/24/2008 6:19 AM (#4611)
Subject: Sacred Texts

UMS Student

This is more of a 'passing on info' rather than a discussion thread but please do share your thoughts if you have any!!

I came across an amazing free collection of sacred texts on the net recently and thought you too might be just as excited as I was! If you've ever spent hours on the internet following lead after lead, to get to just a snippet of the 'real deal', mother of all spiritual reading, you might want to take a look..you'll never be on amazon again! Maybe..

http://www.sacred-texts.com/

I'm certainly going to order the DVD Archive to support this freely available resource..
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Joseph
Posted 4/24/2008 6:23 AM (#4613 - in reply to #4611)
Subject: RE: Sacred Texts

PhD Alumni

Thanks Louise. In hard copy there was also a book published 1971 by Simon Schuster in US and Allen & Unwin in UK, edited by Whital N. Perry, called, " A Treasury of Traditional Wisdom", which is mind boggling collection.

Also, probably out of print but still sometimes in bookstores, can be found the "World Bible", which is a collection of the core texts from different sacred traditions.
sunflower
Posted 4/24/2008 9:36 AM (#4615 - in reply to #4611)

Elite Veteran

interesting,but free collection of ancient texts,i feel strongly,nothing of importance,or actualy factual,is free,there is usualy a catch,i looked ,i saw,i don,t beleive,just as the usual junk mail,you have won a free gift,etc,its the phycology in the words,FREE,that attracts,and snares in innocent people,truly wanting to learn their way,the oly thing for free,is love,i apologise if i offend,i just worry about the morals of some sites,for people in real need and help,i,ll mentaly prepare myself for the onslaught bought on by my beleif.
Paul Joseph
Posted 4/24/2008 10:56 AM (#4616 - in reply to #4615)

PhD Alumni

Thanks for the observations Sunflower. The books to which I referred were purchased (though one was a gift to me). The World Bible is also referred to as, The Bible of the World. Though as i said, both I suspect are out of print.

Reflecting on your comments, I guess that even 'free' internet sites are used for advertising. Perhaps anything in the developed world is paid for by the blood of industry's & the economies' martyrs. Which is why we need to actualise dream of love, or of Heaven, rather than the dream of the planet (don Miguel Ruiz again!)

Another more mundane association is to psychoanalysis, one of my other pre-UMS 'disciplines', where Freud insisted that analytic therapy be paid for else the analysand would not value it and treat any of its healing with disdain. Namaste. Paul
Tracy Martin
Posted 4/24/2008 12:05 PM (#4619 - in reply to #4611)

Alumni

Yes, I have that CD and it is wonderful. It has a huge library of interesting religious, philosophical, spiritual, metaphysical texts. I never received any spam or ads after ordering it. I also have the Treasury book and loved it because it is broken down into topics like an encyclopedia. What a joy to have so many resources of wisdom and spiritual thought available to explore! To find the commonalities within the many traditions, eras, cultures and hear the loving voice of the One Spirit call us to unity!
Paul Joseph
Posted 4/24/2008 12:28 PM (#4623 - in reply to #4611)

PhD Alumni

At work so cannot check, but Tracy evokes a remembered quote from 'The Treasury...'

"Abandon all varities of religion and surrender unto Me"

(The Gita? - not sure)

There is also in there somewhere a quote about Metaphysics being 'the true science' .... so, power on !!!
Kashia
Posted 4/24/2008 12:34 PM (#4625 - in reply to #4611)

What a wonderful place to have found and thank you so much for sharing.
Paul Joseph
Posted 4/24/2008 5:30 PM (#4632 - in reply to #4611)

PhD Alumni

Lovely work (everything). (Everything): is lovely work. The whole thing. Life, the universe, and all (don;t know where that came from, just popped into the keys as I was typing!)

I had never met anyone else who had ever heard of 'The Treasury', except the person who had given it to me.

So as Tracy said, The Treasury of Traditional Wisdom is a source book of sacred sources, with headings on various spiritual areas. If folk are interested, let us know and I'll put some of the aeas out and offer then choice quotes (I cannot replicate the whole book, besides copywright, it is over 800 pages long but if out of print, it would be a shame if contents and links were lost: in a bookshop today and saw a book called 'The Secret', very well put out, but what, I humbly thought, a 'liberty' - and this links with the Freud ' having to pay' idea: the author (cannot remember her name, sorry if you are a member) trying to say that she has found the secret and is sharing it (in a highly priced book), that has been known through the centuries by a closely guarded few ... when actaully she is describing the 'Perennial Religion' as taught by, amongst others, UMS).

Sorry for the above which must be the longest bracket ever, but my passion was showing through ....

Love to All
Paul
sunflower
Posted 4/24/2008 6:00 PM (#4637 - in reply to #4632)

Elite Veteran

hi paul,you know ,you really do make me laugh,in a nice way,your enthusiasm is infectious,your so passionate in all you do,and so willing to help anyone,a true example of the loving heart,giving,sharing,your special,i may at times have a go at you in some of my past posts,but i,m beginning to see the real you,love and light to you,my spirit friend,by the way,how long have you lived in the uk,and have you always lived in london,i,ll tel you why i ask,when i get your rply,luv and hugs x
Louise
Posted 4/24/2008 6:18 PM (#4638 - in reply to #4611)

UMS Student

Thanks for that - I'm going to see what I can find on the Treasury book - already forgotten the name as I type my reply. Paul, I think you are referring to the The Secret by Rhonda Byrne - very clever marketing, everyone loves a secret, when in fact the law of attraction is not a secret at all..well, maybe not brought into popular awareness anyway. This book has been a bit controversial - some really for it, some saying 'what's all the fuss about'...some saying that it focusses too much on desire and if you are desiring, then you are not in the present moment blah blah. I think it was successful in as much as it got people talking..
Paul Joseph
Posted 4/25/2008 4:08 AM (#4651 - in reply to #4611)

PhD Alumni

Dear Louise - thanks; i think that was the book; i flipped the pages then closed it and put it back on the shelf when I got to the bit about materialising wealth, or some such. In the words of Ecclesiastes, "Vanity, vanity, all is vanity" ... and all is illusion. Except this. Or perhaps even this ? Are we a butterfly dreaming a dream or a dream dreaming a butterfly ? (neither is that original: Ecclesiastes again: "there is nothing new under the sun")

Dear Sunflower - thank you too. What a lovely post. Made my day. I was born in Market Bosworth, Leicestershire, near Nuneaton, Warwickshire (in which county Shakespeare was born and Malory wrote, "Le Morte D'Arthur"); moved to London when I was 19; and have lived here ever since, except for a brief spell in Hampshire, but returned to study psychotherapy. Don;t like talking about me, but you did ask.
Namaste
Paul
Rose
Posted 4/25/2008 11:01 PM (#4687 - in reply to #4651)

Student

Paul, are you a Butterfly dreaming that you're a man, or a man dreaming that you're a butterfly? You know psychotherapy without spirituality or the boundaries of sacred beliefs....frightens me. A tool that must be in only the most capable of hands.

NothingEverything
Posted 4/26/2008 12:32 AM (#4691 - in reply to #4611)

UMS Student

Chaung tzu
Paul Joseph
Posted 4/26/2008 3:40 AM (#4692 - in reply to #4687)

PhD Alumni

I agree with you Rose, which is one of the many reasons why I am s tudent of UMS !

Thanks NothingEverything, I could not remember the source of the (mis)quotation.
sunflower
Posted 4/26/2008 5:20 AM (#4694 - in reply to #4651)

Elite Veteran

hi paul,i see that you have been in the healing profession,helping others is agood thing,and i admire you,sometimes in your line of work,the clents,people you help with their problems,can leave you drained,as you give so much of yourself,and take it home with you.How about having a cleansing shower,imagine being under the shower,or actualy having one,and the water be golden,flowing over,and through you,and maybe meditate on inner peace,and healing.The problem with those who help each other constantly is,their pain,becomes yours,if you don,t protect yurself,by just asking,thinking,of the white light to surround you.You are still,i feel,in that mode,of helping,its in your nature,but maybe time to swith off,and time for you,as you are the important one,with a life plan of your own,as we al have,you have taken yours way beyond the bounds of duty,and not spent enough time,thinking of yourself,and your own wellbeing,which should be your first priority,to be healed in body,spirit mind,you have given enough,now is the time to give to yourself,luv and hugs to you my friend.
Paul Joseph
Posted 4/26/2008 11:17 AM (#4703 - in reply to #4611)

PhD Alumni

Rose - before, i meant also to say to you, thanks for correcting my misrembered butterfly quotation !

Sunflower - those are really nice sentiments & guidances from you, thanks. i will remember & absorb them.
Chotuni
Posted 4/27/2008 6:05 PM (#4759 - in reply to #4611)

Regular

thank you so much these are awesome ??????? ????????

Edited by Chotuni 4/27/2008 6:06 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2016 PD9 Software