University Of Metaphysical Sciences
University Of Metaphysical Sciences ->  General Public -> Metaphysics Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

It's Now Number One....Music, Food For the Soul!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Public -> Metaphysics DiscussionMessage format

mruppert
Posted 4/16/2008 11:03 PM (#4398)
Subject: It's Now Number One....Music, Food For the Soul!

Hi all:
     The Sunflower, (which was coincidentially a nickname for one of the bandmembers, born on Christmas Day,  of a group in the '60s called Canned Heat) started a nice forum. And, I see some great value coming out of this.
      So, I'd like to see if there is some sort of baseline or even an inkling of commonality of experience in such a diverse yet homogeneous group, that consists of many unknown entities.
      Therefore, I would ask you all to respond with a list of your top five musical pieces...songs, symphonies, operas, chants, concertos...whatever....that have meaning to you..whether good, bad, cathartic or revolting...but things which caused you to take notice! One way or another...no explanation required at this time....just what you hear in your head!

Peace and Understanding,
Marty and SpaceMusic Cats, Astral Luckylee, Nova Poppyhead and Celestial SissyGirl     
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Joseph
Posted 4/17/2008 4:35 AM (#4407 - in reply to #4398)
Subject: RE: It's Now Number One....Music, Food For the Soul!

PhD Alumni

Intriguing ... as requested .... in no particular order ... [you will see that I am a child of the 60s ...!]

Stairway to Heaven (Led Zeppelin)
Life's a Long Song (Jethro Tull)
Oud music played on film sound track of 'Babel' (?Gustavo .. ? Savanorola? Apologies Gustavo if name remembered wrongly)
[the above came quickly, now note sure ...]
Concierto di Aranjeuz (Rodrigo)
Theme tune to 'Rain Man'

Supernatural3
Posted 4/17/2008 8:37 AM (#4416 - in reply to #4398)

PhD Alumni

I am going to have a very hard time limiting my choices to only 5. I am a huge music lover and well.... i will only list 5. Lets see what comes to mind.

Bittersweet Symphony - The Verve
November Rain - Guns n Roses
Butterflies and Hurricanes - Muse
You look so fine - Garbage
Little Heaven - Toad the Wet Sprocket

------------------
The top three songs have a lot of orchestra with the music, bringing out the beauty in when trying to understand life. The third one has serious climax that builds the listener, just like an opera, one doesn't even need to know what is being said, you feel it.
The last two are songs that remind me of my hubby. I introduced him to the group Garbage and he became a huge fan. The song "you look so fine" was me trying to let him know that I was different and I wasn't going to hurt him like the last one did. And then last but not least.... Little Heaven - This song is me and my hubby's song. We picked it, because when we first started to date, this song came on and I said, Oh my gosh, i love this song... it's beautiful and makes me want to slow dance so much. At that point, Tim reached across with his open hand, and asked me to dance (in his living room). How beautiful..... We danced. I think I fell in love with him at that moment. I can still feel the emotion of that day in my heart.

I choose my songs with meaning to me. It was hard to minimize my choices... because I could lose many things, but never music.

MollyB
Posted 4/18/2008 11:23 AM (#4431 - in reply to #4398)

Student

1. The music of The Tea Party
2. Walk On - U2
3. Hurt - NIN
4. Somewhere Only We Know - Keane
5. Deeper - Life in Balance

Music (from the known to the obscure) has always had a hand in the ebb and flow of my life, always touched my Soul and lended strong guidance to me. The above is a list of 5 powerful musical moments of recent years for me. This is not to scale, lol!
Chotuni
Posted 4/18/2008 5:35 PM (#4440 - in reply to #4407)

Regular

In the year 2525  (zager and evans)

Itchykoo park  (smallfaces)

I drove all night   (roy orbison)

We have all the time in the world  (fred bongusto)

McCarthur Park  (can't think,Rex Harrison's son I think)

Paul Joseph
Posted 4/18/2008 7:45 PM (#4445 - in reply to #4440)

PhD Alumni

(not interfering with the chain, but just to clarify - i seem to remember that Richard Harris sang MacArthur Park, where Noel Harrison (Noel's son) sang, Windmills of your mind [from The Thomas Crown Affair])
Supernatural3
Posted 4/18/2008 8:15 PM (#4449 - in reply to #4398)

PhD Alumni

I love the song "Windmills of your mind". I like the original version too.
Thanks for helping out...

I really like a lot of these songs that everyone is listing. Music really does change moods and uplifts the air... it also lets us get out our frustration, by picking a song that is similar to our own experience. I also notice that no matter how long the time goes, sometimes a song will come on, and we will remember instantly, the exact location, person, or event that was going on when we associated certain songs.

I couldn't imagine a world without music.
Chotuni
Posted 4/19/2008 4:41 AM (#4454 - in reply to #4445)

Regular

Paul Joseph - 2008-04-18 7:45 PM (not interfering with the chain, but just to clarify - i seem to remember that Richard Harris sang MacArthur Park, where Noel Harrison (Noel's son) sang, Windmills of your mind [from The Thomas Crown Affair])

thank you so much for this post. I had a feeling it wasn't right when I first posted it.Windmills of your mind was also good,thing is more and more songs come to mind,it could be a very long list.I like a lot of music from the sixties,though I do not remember a lot of it first time round, I was there!  Again I say thanks to you  Mr. Joseph.

Paul Joseph
Posted 4/19/2008 5:10 AM (#4458 - in reply to #4398)

PhD Alumni

Your welcome; glad to be of service Chotuni (my last name is actually Thompson, as on the ms student board but couldnt register with that, anyway, Mr Joseph is good too - long associations!). Sorry though it was Noel, son of Rex, not son of Noel (!!)

Great songs indeed everyone.
sunflower
Posted 4/19/2008 7:04 AM (#4460 - in reply to #4398)

Elite Veteran

hi mruppet,people song choices are interesting,i also think it says a lot about the person,anyway here goes,i don,t know the singers,as i just hear a song,and take to it instantly,or not,so i don,t follow any groups,or bands as such,so here goes.

angels robbie williams
I have a dream abba
enya all of specialy marble halls
1812 overture bethoven
four seasons vivaldi

i think iv,e got them right,so much to choose from,but these came to mind instantly,otherwise like everyone else,my list would be neverending,love and light to you.
Paul Joseph
Posted 6/23/2016 3:40 PM (#27662 - in reply to #4407)

PhD Alumni

Here is a blast from the past ... with some long cherished Board members who no longer seem to grace our pages .... sadly ...

Wonder if anybody else is as saddened as me about the latest copyright dispute: Led Zep v Spirit? .. Such a shame that creativity turns to angst ....

Cannot gainsay the jury's findings .... but great songs, great riffs and creativity ....

ps, mistake in my calculations .... think I am a child of the 50s .... arithmetically anyway

Blessed Be

PJ

Edited by Paul Joseph 6/23/2016 3:41 PM
mruppert
Posted 6/23/2016 4:47 PM (#27663 - in reply to #27662)
Subject: Re: It's Now Number One....Music, Food For the Soul!

The Zep's song is strikingly similar to Spirit's song......but I don't think it was a copycat.....and, I don't think Randy California could play the riffs in Stairway.

The Beatles went through the same thing.

Direct copycats.......The Theme from Ghostbusters, with the original done by Huey Lewis and the News as "I Want a New Drug" and MC Hammerhead who blatently ripped off Rick James "She's a Freak"...that girl's a super freak......

Thanks for the Memories Pauly......BTW....is Britain in or out????
Disa
Posted 6/23/2016 5:36 PM (#27664 - in reply to #4398)

Alumni

Super Freak! Super Freak she's super freakyyyoww...

Yeah is Britain in or out? Inquiring minds want to know...

Edited by Disa 6/23/2016 5:37 PM
Supernatural3
Posted 6/23/2016 11:21 PM (#27665 - in reply to #4398)

PhD Alumni

Zep did rip off beginning...... already known for copycat too. Oh well. ... music lives on! Rock n roll

I honestly think Spirit should win. ... just not everything. ... settle already!
Paul Joseph
Posted 6/24/2016 4:28 AM (#27668 - in reply to #27664)

PhD Alumni

Britain is out .....

Many regional differences though ... London mainly voted in, as did Scotland and Gibralter ... Wales and nearly everywhere else voted out .... fascinating times ... history in the making ....

The LZ/Spirit case is done - LZ won, though I think Spirit ought to have been given some credit

Good morning America

XO
P
Supernatural3
Posted 6/24/2016 3:45 PM (#27670 - in reply to #4398)

PhD Alumni

Yeah, i do feel spirit deserved credit. Their song was created prior. Oh well. ... LZ is still phenominal music. Even backwards. ... hahahaha
mruppert
Posted 6/25/2016 12:59 PM (#27671 - in reply to #27670)

HiYaz.....
No question that the melody is almost identical, BUT, in these kinds of cases the court primarily relies on the sheet music which is nowadays almost always copyrighted and oftentimes licensed. Both defendants and plaintiffs may well have musical renditions of the song submitted as evidence, BUT, they must be directly from the sheet music. And, of course, the defendant's piano man is going to play it a lot differently from the plaintiff's piano man with regard to emphasis and virtuosity.
Spirit was an avant-garde group from the beginning and the early musical portfolio shows that. It was "Natures Way" - a hippie favorite, and "I Got a Line On You" - a top forty breakout, that Spirit then became a widely known band. In that time,
"Taurus" was a insignificant tune. My fa vorite was "Fresh Garbage". BUT, I will always remember the dreadfully dark and morbid "Mechanical World" because of:

""Once in my younger days....
Once in my younger days I had a girl to love"" - as sung by Spirit, Mechanical World, to keep the copyright internet bots happy!

Peace on all of us,
Marty

mruppert
Posted 6/25/2016 1:46 PM (#27672 - in reply to #27668)

Hi Paul,

I have asked many people what is causing my stock market to plunge and they all tell me "Brexit".....and I re-ask......tell me what concrete, tangible, observable thing has happened that the economies world wide need to collapse on this day at this time? They look at me as if I were an idiot (which, sometimes I indulge in idiocy). I believe the answer is that nothing has happened and the "investors" all over the world are a bunch of sheep.

Now that the vote is  done let me offer a personal glimpse of why I think that Britain does not really belong in the EU........harken back to post Great War Germany........

Austria

Czechoslovakia
Poland

Denmark
Norway
Belgium
Luxembourg
France

Yugoslavia
Greece
Lithuania
Latvia
Estonia

Italy
Albania
Monaco

ALL of these countries surrendered to the Germans.........but what did the Brits do????

The leader of Britain at that time said that  "We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!

The Brits have known hardships that few Americans will ever ever know.....and they carry on.......unlike our folks who meltdown if someone uses an inappropriate term of reference; and worry about gluten after living many years without even knowing what gluten is.....

This is my opinion and is not intended to disparage the beliefs of anyone else.

Respectfully, 

Marty 

Paul Joseph
Posted 6/25/2016 3:21 PM (#27674 - in reply to #27672)

PhD Alumni

Thanks Marty

Highly reassuring and an interesting take .... specially as

...... many of the Remainers are really annoyed and have signed a petition of 2 million and rising on the Parliament web-site to hold a new referendum .... and

.............................the EU members are being very hoity toity about our decision, and saying, 'it will be an acrimonous divorce' !!

Makes me think there is something we are not being told ........... some are saying it is class war:

.................................................Conspiracy or X File maybe?

Your friendly chum
PJ

Supernatural3
Posted 6/25/2016 3:37 PM (#27677 - in reply to #4398)

PhD Alumni

Oh boy. ... i just want everyone to be human equals and all have a part to better this place. Some get lost on that path such a shame.
Paul Joseph
Posted 6/25/2016 3:51 PM (#27679 - in reply to #27677)

PhD Alumni

Yeah a shame ... also, forgot to say, Scotland is planning for a second independence referendum now too as they want to stay in the EU ... things falling apart seems like
Disa
Posted 6/25/2016 4:59 PM (#27680 - in reply to #4398)

Alumni

I sort of feel as though Britain is very brave to exit. But, if in Britain as in America the vote of the masses is done by people who are not very informed, a brave decision may not be a very wise one. I read that AFTER the votes had been determined, many in the UK googled, what the "EU" IS....oy

Many who voted to leave are saying they didn't think their vote counted and they would really be staying, they are regretting it now. https://www.yahoo.com/news/brexit-regret-meet-britons-voted-20152880... . IF a new vote is allowed, the outcome may actually BE reversed. But it does seem the EU is saying, don't let the door hit you on your way out...good riddance...

Now, due to Brexit, we have Texit rearing it's ugly head, yet again http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/inspired-brexit-texas-cons...

Where, government is involved, there is ALWAYS SOMETHING we are not being told....

Hopefully things shake out and correct themselves soon. It's the uncertainty of it all that causes the markets to drop.

Imagine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVg2EJvvlF8

Edited by Disa 6/25/2016 5:17 PM
mruppert
Posted 6/25/2016 5:54 PM (#27681 - in reply to #27680)

Hi again:
Disy raises several pregnant points.......and that is why I am asking all to tell me what REALLY happened.....what made the quid lose value....exactly what? Uncertainty exists at all times, in all places and affects everyone. If an Italian dude burns a pizza in Roma, the world financial markets go down. If a Greek guy yells ompah and chokes on an olive pit the worlds financial markets go down. Brits check a check box on a sheet of paper and world financial markets go down. WHY???
While Diss serves notice on government (and I wholeheartedly agree,) I also indict the media who cause panic because it makes for good ratings when presenting the news.
I, too, heard the lamentations of Brits who decried the exit result. And, yes, they will have problems with their homes in France and Portugal. BUT, if they love the country so much why in the world did they choose to live in a foreign country in the first place? The monarchy republic exercised the voice of democracy....and it has spoken.

What is done is done and cost me a lot of money...but to think that I will not make the money lost back and even more is silly....Britain will survive and become even stronger than it was before.

As for us, the USA needs to wake up and realize that we have NO leaders to head our state....and we have no choice....what we have is a lesser of two evils. That, dear friends, is not what democracy is about. We are, whether we like it or not, the most powerful nation on the planet.....and we need leaders who help and not hinder in our unique role in the world.

World Peace,
Marty
Paul Joseph
Posted 6/26/2016 6:40 AM (#27682 - in reply to #27681)

PhD Alumni

Dear Friends

This is a great discussion; I think too the Remain/Leave was a binary choice between two not-so-good extremes; the EU is different now to what it was when set up: as is the world and its/our challenges.

But I am unsettled by the fall out though perhaps it is indicative of what makes democracy so difficult, yet it is the best political system we have: and one of the biggest criticisms of the current EU is its (increasingly) undemocratic nature.

We will have to see what happens next

Thanks for the perspectives from friends overseas.

Love all
Paul

Edited by Paul Joseph 6/26/2016 6:41 AM
Supernatural3
Posted 6/27/2016 6:43 PM (#27684 - in reply to #4398)

PhD Alumni

Love this song as well. ... sorta a good theme song for my business which is called The Mystic Zone .....
Into the Mystic by Van Morrison

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O0DJ8hWgNes
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2016 PD9 Software