University Of Metaphysical Sciences
University Of Metaphysical Sciences ->  General Public -> Metaphysics Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

psychedelics
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Public -> Metaphysics DiscussionMessage format

dottie
Posted 2/22/2008 8:45 PM (#3688)
Subject: psychedelics

What are peoples opinions on psychedelics? Are they there to enhance your thoughts? If you are trying to reach a life to its purest form, and purest thoughts about anything does it stop personal growth, and make the persons journey harder. Some think the exact opposite! I would like to know what you think!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ongoingbattle
Posted 2/26/2008 11:07 AM (#3701 - in reply to #3688)
Subject: RE: psychedelics

I think it is always healthy to be curious about the human mind and to want to experience what we see and feel differently. All things in moderation though. I believe psychedelics can open your eyes to a different world, and open your mind to new ways of thinking, both of which can be useful tools to have in this far too black and white world. I mean when it really comes down to it, our entire concious realization and acceptance of everyday life comes from a complex series of electrical impulses sent to our brain. In an "all knowing" and "all technologically advanced society," it isn't unreasonable to see how the brain can be manipulated with some sort of a computer inputting all the signals that we normally recieve from our senses. Psychadelics interfere with brain processing, changing how everyday things look, sound and feel. Even the government has performed LSd and other hallucinogenic studies in order to better understand the human brain, (as well as other more ill-aimed goals such as torture and truth serums). The truth aspect of some of these substances is real enough though. A person may find themselves having the desire to accept things in themselves they wouldn't previously, or to be honest with somebody else in a way that wasn't previously possible. A person with a strong healthy mind could have a very uplifting experience, but it comes down to each individual, and what positive things they can absorb from the experience. Sometimes a group of people "philosiphizing" and going through a psychedelic experience can all feel as though they have come to some ground/mind breaking conclusions, but i reiterate, all things in moderation, and this is definately not for everbody. But shoot, with all the crazy perscription medications that are doing so much damge to our bodies, some of the connections between right-wrong, legal-illegal, and power and money get a little hazy while others become a little too clear. I mean i can pay $19.99 for a pill that will make me not tired in the morning and help me lose weight, while taking away any misery i have, and maybe even put my kids through college (HAH ---toatlly not mild sarcasm), but it may cause a rash, an itch, hives, loss of sleep (which takes care of WAKING up tired), nausea (which takes care of the eating too much problem) kidney failure, liver failure, temporary blindness, loss of hair, chronic diarrhea (more weight loss), erectile disfunction, oh yeah, and maybe heart failure (my sympathy to the guinea pig that proved that symtpom.) I wonder if the truly educated man were faced with the decision of choosing between some new perscription drug (or even a redbull lol) vs an organic hallucinogenic muschroom, what would he choose?
Philosiphize on....
Supernatural3
Posted 2/26/2008 10:14 PM (#3711 - in reply to #3688)

PhD Alumni

I think anything can be done through meditation with out needing hallucinogens. But i always wanted to try to have an OBE(out of body experience) and i could never do it. I thought mushrooms would be the answer. So I gave it a shot in a controlled environment. YEARS ago....

Here is what happened:

I was supposed to be home with only my fiance, while my kids were with their real dad. I was going to eat the shrooms and meditate to try for a OBE.

INSTEAD, my kid decided she didn't want to be at her dad's, showed up at home. Scared the crap out of me, which wigged me out, because i didn't EVER want my kids to see such a thing. It was a paranoid effect and I ended up so wazzed out that i couldn't meditate if I wanted to. I did laugh my butt off, just trying to watch TV, regardless if it was funny or not.

SIDE EFFECTS:
YES, lets just say, mushrooms make you bloat up with gas like you wouldn't believe. More to laugh about....

ILLEGAL too.
Consequences are far too much, for just wanting spiritual induced type of drug. I do not know of any legal psychotropic drugs, but anyone else does, feel free to place it on here, i wouldn't mind having a list.
danny.israel
Posted 3/5/2008 2:27 AM (#3763 - in reply to #3688)

Student

My personal experience is that it can be positive unless it is abused, or done too much. Because the experience will likely be good, at least interesting, different, intriguing, I've found temptation arises because I look at the reality now and think, "oh I just want to see", I just want something more exciting and different, and more enlightened, which is suffering. I did mushrooms once and it was an experience that set me on a vowed path to do what needs to be done to live in that place. However I later did LSD many times, and my friend still does, and I know it's just the monkey mind, it's just boredom, I went through that then and I go through it now while eradicating attachments.

The drugs may show us a lot but we need to be wise in where the line is drawn and realize these spiritual realizations are not it and are still just temporary and exciting for the mind.

Another thought, what would happen if someone takes LSD lays down and has a beautiful meditation, it's actually an incredible experience. A week later he's having a horrible day, he's having monkey mind, and the LSD is the only thing on his mind. I would argue if he never had that experience he wouldn't be going through this intense desire to take LSD again and he could let go of his monkey mind with more ease. So the temporary greatness can cause suffering!

That's my view on taking psychedelics. I realize LSD has technical uses, many inventions were made on LSD, healing can be done with LSD by shifting beliefs, and I'm sure there's more.

peace, love, respect
mruppert
Posted 9/6/2008 12:20 AM (#10006 - in reply to #3688)

I searched for this post since there was a post that "silence" came up as a theme. In the sensory deprivation work that I participated in...maybe we were stupid kids...I could not tolerate the silence at all....the introduction of a substance that today's high schoolers take for granted as their right...caused me some solace.......the introduction of Mr. Sunshine caused me to feel pretty darn good.....the introduction of things which my friends brought back from South America caused me to see "God" and hear such sounds that I cannot tolerate silence to this day!

If the neighborhood looses electricity, I go nuts until I can switch on the battery operated boombox and plug a tape or cd into it!!

This is an awful, but lasting artifact of doing things that one did not really consider the consequences.

Peace n' oise,

Marty and Prowling Cats, Luck, Popp, and Siss

danny.israel
Posted 9/6/2008 2:15 AM (#10007 - in reply to #3688)

Student

Wow! that is a really interesting effect. I guess with LSD for me, the memory of how to hallucinate wouldn't go away, like I would do it to myself involuntarily, as in, if I wanted to gaze at a point without moving. However that has faded and I can agree with yoru statement of not realizing the consequences at the time. But to not bare silence is quite interesting, i guess it just seems so far and distant from me. Either way I am really curious what others will think, or maybe what some may suggest as an antidote, I'm sure it is possible.
mruppert
Posted 9/11/2008 1:01 AM (#10124 - in reply to #3688)

Hi Danny.....
     It never really becomes an issue as there is noise everywhere; even in traditionally silent places.
     The one thing some scientists observed about the possiblilty of time travel is that if we went back
1) we couldn't stand the silence of a pre-industrial age, and
2) we wouldn't be able to breathe the purer air....repleat with oxygen.

I think these guys are right!

Peace onya,
marty and Luyck, Popp, and Siss
Paul Joseph
Posted 9/11/2008 5:37 AM (#10130 - in reply to #10124)

PhD Alumni

Agree with Love.

I think psychedelics are a short cut to certain 'other realities'; but to survive - or endure - those realities we have to have done sufficient work on ourselves. Else we risk psychic injury. When we have done that work on ourselves - or indeed, as we are doing it - the natural bliss and gift of the 'other realities' unfolds within and around us; and the need for induced substances to alter our state of consciousness disappears.
danny.israel
Posted 9/11/2008 3:10 PM (#10170 - in reply to #3688)

Student

marty- that is pretty wild

paul- Yes, I think there is risk of addiction because we get this surge of universal energy but the source is drugs and then the addiction is formed unless we already know how to connect to god source of energy. Thus if we can connect, there pretty well is no need for drugs unless we want to just do research of a non spiritual nature. For me, all my wanting of drugs ever, has been due to a desire of energy and being stuck on that source. So if we have spiritual training I agree with you there is no need for drugs, and a good empowerment it is.
Paul Joseph
Posted 9/11/2008 3:57 PM (#10172 - in reply to #10170)

PhD Alumni

Namaste, Danny Israel x
Paul Joseph
Posted 9/12/2008 1:13 PM (#10191 - in reply to #10172)

PhD Alumni

Article in today's newspaper how a British teacher stabbed himself to death with a broken bottle somewhere in South America after having imbibed 'magic mushrooms' ...

Be careful out there x

Edited by Paul Joseph 9/12/2008 1:13 PM
mruppert
Posted 9/12/2008 10:43 PM (#10199 - in reply to #10191)

Hi P&DI:

That's a damn shame......yeah, things can get pretty crazy under the influence of substances that we know little about....particularly from the pharmaceuticals of the indigeneous peoples of the North and South Americas. 

Danny..while I do not believe in uncontrolled flashback, I do intensely believe that there are "triggers" and that they take you on the self same trip as happened years ago and time immemorial. The triggers die with age....but still have certain power..and hence my powerlessness over silence......the rush was fantastic, the trip was a journey of eons of lifetimes, but the conclusion...when it was dark, warm and silent...was soooo spooky.....I will not write the final feeling here.....as I can't!

Peace,

Marty and Cats

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2016 PD9 Software