University Of Metaphysical Sciences
University Of Metaphysical Sciences ->  General Public -> Metaphysics Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dejavu!!!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Public -> Metaphysics DiscussionMessage format

ongoingbattle
Posted 1/30/2008 2:49 PM (#3593)
Subject: Dejavu!!!

Alright, I have some things i wanna say about this, but not the time right now. I think it's a very hot topic so i wanna hear what some others have to say. Just wanted to get it started. Anyone have such vivid dejavu that it boggles you to this day?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Supernatural3
Posted 1/30/2008 3:35 PM (#3595 - in reply to #3593)
Subject: RE: Dejavu!!!

PhD Alumni

I used to have it happen all the time. Like something is happening, exactly as you saw it already. It hasn't happened to me in a long time, but used to.

I did really like the movie... but it was induced with a time travel machine. Unique that is.
lgard
Posted 2/11/2008 5:11 PM (#3650 - in reply to #3593)

I've had so many Dejavu's it would be impossible to count them. I've been really startled by some of them. I've never heard any explanation of them, and would love to hear some ideas. Seems to be a universal experience, as well as a universal mystery. As someone who works at a science museum, I'm wondering if quantum physics might someday have an answer -- or at least a good theory -- concerning what it's all about.

On a humorous note, I'm always reminded of the old Monty Python skit where on the TV screen you see and hear the opening of an evening news broadcast, followed by a view of the anchor, who says something like: "Good evening, and welcome to BBC's broadcast of all the news, with all the views. Today there was an announcement concerning the mystery of a phenomenon known as dejavu ...." And then suddenly once again on the TV screen you see and hear the opening of the same evening news broadcast, followed by a view of the same anchor, who looks rather quizzically at the camera as he says: "Good evening, and welcome to BBC's broadcast of all the news, with all the views. Today there was an announcement concerning the mystery of a phenomenon known as dejavu..." And then once again on the TV screen you see and hear the opening of the same evening newscast, followed by a view of the same anchor, who is really kind of disturbed and stuttering as he says: "Good evening, and welcome ---" etc. etc. Of course, after the fifth or sixth time everything starts all over again, the reporter falls off his chair (or some such thing), he's so upset.

Best to all,

Larry
John W. Kelly
Posted 2/12/2008 2:16 AM (#3651 - in reply to #3593)

Regular

And now for something completely different...
Fedora
Posted 2/13/2008 7:32 PM (#3655 - in reply to #3593)

I don't have deja vu as much as I feel deep recognition for some people I meet. There are times that I meet strangers and feel as if I've known them for years. I'm sure that's a type of deja vu, but for me it I've never really connected with places as much as people.

Although I suddenly remembered one time recently when I saw the Old North Church in Boston (the church where Paul Revere shown the lanterns in the Revolutionary War). I knew that place like it was my own house. I could pretty much tell you precisely what went on in there too. That was a pretty awesome experience.
instinctual
Posted 2/18/2008 2:04 PM (#3668 - in reply to #3593)

PhD Alumni

Something interesting I recently read about De Ja Vu- this particular theory indicates that that when one experiences de ja vu, what they are truly experiencing is that the left brain sees something and it takes a moment for the right brain to catch up to it, giving you the sense of having experienced something, then remembering it. I don't buy it, but I thought I'd through that out there!
Supernatural3
Posted 2/18/2008 6:43 PM (#3670 - in reply to #3668)

PhD Alumni

instinctual - 2008-02-18 2:04 PM

Something interesting I recently read about De Ja Vu- this particular theory indicates that that when one experiences de ja vu, what they are truly experiencing is that the left brain sees something and it takes a moment for the right brain to catch up to it, giving you the sense of having experienced something, then remembering it. I don't buy it, but I thought I'd through that out there!

I would have to say the other way around, ONLY if there was damage to the myelination process which is the fatty substance that coats the axons and dendrites which speeds the transmission of nerve impulses from neuron to neuron in the brain. (Berger 2005) Damage would really slow down the two sides of the brain working together using the corpus callosum, but then the damage would be noticable (slow learner, special needs person, etc.) We finish this process well by the time we reach adolescence, so honestly, i do not feel that is an answer.

Left side is logic, right side is creative. The creative intuitive side always works faster than the logic side, due to deductive or inductive reasoning that takes place mostly on the logical side. (logic side brings us to our conclusions).

Anyway, I do think the right brain is intuitive, and see's more, while the left side tries to reason it out. It's too fast for a time difference to be noticed. But, there is one thing we are forgetting..... Cell Memory. Our long term memory is noticing the familiarity of what it is we are recognizing, which signals our slower response. Our memory is much slower than our two brain nerve impulses that connect both sides. That is why we say.... "Ohhh gosh, it's right on the tip of my tongue". We are trying to sort out the memory files to get to the one we want.

Make sense?

Edited by Supernatural3 2/18/2008 6:45 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2016 PD9 Software