University Of Metaphysical Sciences
University Of Metaphysical Sciences ->  General Public -> Metaphysics Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New Thought movement
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Public -> Metaphysics DiscussionMessage format

soulfire
Posted 12/11/2007 6:45 PM (#3164)
Subject: New Thought movement

Alumni

Before I give my impressions of the New Thought movement, I was wondering what you all thought of it? Is there anyonwe on this board who has participated in a church or spiritual center that espouses New Thought?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tracy Martin
Posted 12/11/2007 7:20 PM (#3165 - in reply to #3164)
Subject: RE: New Thought movement

Alumni

I have been happily involved with Religious Science, and there are a lot of UMS students who are also involved. The teachings are pretty similar to what you will find in many of the courses at UMS.
  • Infinite Intelligence or God is omnipotent and omnipresent.
  • Spirit is the ultimate reality.
  • True human self-hood is divine.
  • Divinely attuned thought is a positive force for good.
  • Most disease is mental in origin.
  • Right thinking has a healing effect (From Wickipedia)
New Thought has very positive, empowering messages. Changing your thinking will change your life. It's one path among many.
mruppert
Posted 12/11/2007 10:25 PM (#3166 - in reply to #3164)

Hi all....
     And, thus, we have the true irony of it all!
     I have been a student of religion and more particularly the "religious experience" most of my life.
     The things that Tracy said are the basic conclusions that can be derived from many writers, but succinctly from William James, in the "Varieties of Religious Experience" where the new thought is found to be old thought.
      The mind, spirituality, and mysticism were put under a microscope of examination, in a series of lectures that James rendered in the late 1920's.
      As the Gifford Lecturer at the University of Edinburgh, he sought to prove the existence or non-existence of "god"; and his conclusions were remarkable for his time and our time. But, I shan't tell you what they were, as it would spoil the book.
      For those so inclined, it is a fascinating series of lectures, and I particulary like the emphasis on the existence of angels; and the differentiation he made between the state of mind that perceives what Tracy said.
     I wish I could be more explicit, but I gotta go!

Profound Peace,
Marty and Henry Jamesian Cats (not William)..they prefer the ectoplasm as they see!
whitelion342
Posted 12/12/2007 12:39 AM (#3172 - in reply to #3164)

Hello Everybody, and i feel my thoughts are transformed in the reality of you all, your faces and your beautiful souls .The constant thing in this universe is change, and yes we are in the new thought movement, we are every day and in every moment in a new thought..But a collective conscious movement that is "new " ? yes and no..Simply because all that we evolve into now, we have already experienced,and so our senses are experiencing all of this as new..new body new senses..
Love and Light
Aurora
soulfire
Posted 12/12/2007 10:46 AM (#3181 - in reply to #3164)

Alumni

I, too, have found many similarities between what is taught here at UMS and RS. We recently started attending a local RS church and are loving it. However, for me it is even more significant because it seems everytime I turn around I'm being shown something else from RS or another similar group. It's almost like the Universe won't let me escape from it! LOL!

At first I thought it was too simplified, but the farther I go with my studies herer I see the profundity if that simplicity. We'll see where it takes me...
Tracy
Posted 12/12/2007 11:52 AM (#3184 - in reply to #3164)

Student

I am glad that you are enjoying your RS experience. I expect you will notice many more synchronicities in your life as you refine your focus and intent. I loved the Religious Science services for the empowering, grateful, positive, inclusive messages. No fear preaching or judgmentalism, just empowerment.
whitelion342
Posted 12/13/2007 1:34 AM (#3198 - in reply to #3164)

And so this is where i see with my soul that we are all elohim, one language , many voices,many faces one soul, many views one eye..One Love,many expressions..Love and blessings to you all
mruppert
Posted 12/15/2007 3:01 AM (#3215 - in reply to #3164)

And I say again, the "religious experience" is different from being an adherent to any credo. One can believe all he or she wants, but until something happens, the belief is just a belief, and nothing more.
This is a hard concept for me to describe,and I will try to think of examples that are removed from hierachical credos, so that religion does not enter the picture.

But it will take some time......
Peace,
Marty and Jamaican Bobsled Team Cats
soulfire
Posted 12/15/2007 1:05 PM (#3219 - in reply to #3215)

Alumni

Hi Marty! I subscribe to many attitudes that go along with the New Thought movement. Science of Mind is something I am interested in, but I was telling my husband after so many years of being our own agents I wouldn't necessarily want to 'join' a church. I think I would like to remain free to grow and not subscribe to a particular religion, because even in this RS church we've been going to there are dogmas that we've noted and attitudes that I'm just a little wary of (i.e. the tendency to judge others as poor unenlightened souls that I see in some church members). I love the church we've been going to - don't get me wrong. Spirituality is just where I want to be - not religiosity. Even if it ends up making me a 'loner'. I did look into becoming a RS minister/practitioner, but I do not want to be beholden to an organization - that's why I love UMS so much.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2016 PD9 Software