University Of Metaphysical Sciences
University Of Metaphysical Sciences ->  General Public -> Metaphysics Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Body pH, Neutrition, Wine
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Public -> Metaphysics DiscussionMessage format

Supernatural3
Posted 11/30/2007 8:32 AM (#3070)
Subject: Body pH, Neutrition, Wine

PhD Alumni

A glass of wine a day..... GOOD or BAD? I see new studies revealing how good it is for us on a daily basis. What is your take?

Here is a small part of my theory:

Now I am not going to drink a glass of wine a day. But i do like wine and occasionally have it. But- If i drank that daily, would it be considered a problem? Since I really only have a drink occasionally, I do enjoy it. Here is why....

The alcohol content is not what is bad, it's the sugar levels in the alcohol and the acid levels that it produces which causes free radicals - thus allowing for illness (IF DONE IN EXCESS). But to remedy that, all one has to do is double the intake of calcium and vitamin D -(to break down the calcium so it can be absorbed), some sunlight or full spectrum lighting, (so the glands behind the eyes can activate and allow your body to absorb vitamins better) and some magnesium, (so the calcium and Vit-D doesn't create a sludge, that causes constipation). Magnesium will keep the two minerals in liquid form, the body can absorb what it needs with the glands activated, and it will pass what it doesn't need. But.... the best thing about this is: This method keeps your body in Alkaline pH. Which is a Metaphysicians goal to stop illness (free radicals)

Now I take the above remedy anyway, regardless if i drink and it's rare i get sick. So i really don't think having a glass of wine is anything to worry about. Here is what one article say's posted from website http://www.buzzle.com/articles/wine-consumption-good-health.html

"In the 1990’s a news report, later titled the "French Paradox", was brought to the public eye after researchers discovered that the French who live on a diet of cheese, butter, organ meats, eggs and other cholesterol laden food had a lower rate of heart attack than in America. The results as to why this was so were very surprising to many: moderate and steady consumption of wine. How is wine good for your health?

Many believe red wine is better for you than white wine, because that is what early studies found. Skin from red grapes contained a powerful antioxidant called resveratrol, which was transferred into red wine during manufacturing. However, nowadays manufacturers are altering their winemaking processes for both red and white wine to boost health benefits.

Some of the more recent studies conducted from around the world have shown that wine can be a very powerful agent in helping prevent heart and lung problems and even strokes! In 2002 the American Thoracic Society found that the antioxidants from white wine helped improve lung function while in the same year the William Harvey Research Institute found that polyphenols in red grape skins helped keep arteries open and lowered the risk of strokes. University of California at Davis discovered in 1995 that coronary heart disease was reduced and research conducted in 2004 at the University of Ferrara in Italy showed that the elderly who consumed moderate amounts of wine had healthier blood vessels than those who didn’t." ......Continued on the site.
-----------

I would love to hear other peoples health regimens, tips, suggestions. The pH course UMS offers is also fantastic. I am also a serious meat eater. I love it, crave it and want it. So for a non-vegetarian i would love to hear more of what others think.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Frank in Japan
Posted 12/1/2007 2:19 AM (#3074 - in reply to #3070)
Subject: RE: Body pH, Neutrition, Wine

student

I once worked in bottle shop and studied about wine a little. It seems that certain naturally occuring complex chemicals in wine remain stable in the alcohol. So from what I know, the alcohol itself is simply acting as a stabilizer for these beneficial constituents.

The body is indeed capable of breaking down alcohol, but it always makes me feel worn down in the process so I don't drink at all anymore.

After some practice, I have found social occasions far more enjoyable without alcohol. In the beginning though, everybody expects some kind of explanation for why I didn't want to drink, but after a short while nobody really noticed anymore.

On a different tagent, alcohol has of course long been used for medicinal purposes, such as pain relief. But I would say that there are better treatments available since the advent of modern medicine...

I would imagine that in moderation, such as a glass of wine with a meal wouldn't do any harm to most people. So enjoy!

Blessings and peace,

Frank
mruppert
Posted 12/2/2007 3:12 AM (#3081 - in reply to #3070)

Hi all:
     Ahhhh...the fruit of the vine....an integral part of many religious ceremonies! Many pagan ceremonies!
     A part of so many cultures...Italian, French, Spanish/Portuguese, German (it's in their national anthem), Greek, Eastern European....and you see many of these cultures with people living to 100+ years old.
     It is only in puritanical America that we die so young.
     It is only in Islamic states that it is considered offensive.

Peace ,
Marty and Vino Veritas Cats
Supernatural3
Posted 12/4/2007 11:23 AM (#3093 - in reply to #3070)

PhD Alumni

I am a White Merlot fan.... or any sweet red wine. YUM
I will only have a glass maybe about twice a month, or less. But it's enjoyable.
Rose
Posted 4/13/2008 7:12 AM (#4331 - in reply to #3070)

Student

Doc, I think you're right. There's a capsule that is sold by Indiana Botanic Gardens. It has the healthy nutritional parts of the wine taken out and put into capsule form. This way you can get the benefits without having to subject yourself to becoming an alcoholic!

I believe the benefits have to do with antioxidants. I really enjoy wine but I think the preservatives affect me. So I'm real big on recommending organic wines if you have a sensitive system.
Christine Breese
Posted 4/14/2008 1:06 AM (#4339 - in reply to #3070)

UMS

There is a capsule sold by Life Extension called Resveratrol and it is amazing. I took it for a month and my cholesterol dropped drastically. That's what the studies are saying that wine is good for, that it makes your cholesterol drop. However, you can't really drink enough wine to get the effects without getting the toxic stuff (alcohol is toxic for your body). I am very unable to digest wine, even a half a glass makes all my muscles hurt, as if I have some problem with the sulphurs or something. However, the resveratrol captures everything that is benficial in the wine without the alcohol and the sulphurs.

The way it works is that grapes grown in climates that are moist have to produce resveratrol as an immune response against fungus and specific diseases, and it has to be organic grapes grown in a moist climate (France is wher ethey get the resveratrol extract grapes). If it's not organic, it won't produce the immune response to the fungus and molds, so grapes that have pesticide on them won't produce resveratrol.

As for alkalinity, a teaspoon of baking soda witll make you alkaline, raw fruits and veggies will make you alkaline and a pot of the water runoff from boiled potatoes is also very alkaline. There are alkaline drops you can add to water as well, and there is something called kangen water as well, look it up on the internet, there's lots of solutions to creating an alkaline body chemistry, but I don't think wine will do it.

Good luck!
paddy
Posted 7/27/2010 10:13 PM (#19681 - in reply to #3070)

When I pondered why Paris is known as the most romantic city in the world,
I thought about the wine and the fine dining and a culture that values beauty
with a pace of time taken to appreciate it all.

Quite possibly, wine in moderation can act as an aphrodisiac which helps
people help another to experience love in ways more profound than otherwise.
If so, a hidden element of the french paradox is likely good quality love
born of world famous romantics, and the healing effects that offers.

paddy
instinctual
Posted 7/29/2010 11:39 PM (#19689 - in reply to #3070)

PhD Alumni

Hya Jilly...great post.

As Martyr indicated, look at cultural influences. My husband who was born in Milan in '57 moved to Tangier, Morocco at the age of 3, then to the states at 13 and regularly drank wine with meals throughout his European and Moroccan upbringing (mostly Arabic)! Such stigma is attached to alcoholism and I think studies must be more thorough in terms of it all.

Actually, there are new concepts which are being explored in terms of addition...instead of complete restriction, an "alcoholic" is allowed to drink in moderation..and only in moderation, vs. complete limitation, and there is success, as success had to be redefined. Success which is no longer abstinence is now defined as functioning and having a full, responsible and well balanced life...however that is defined by the individual.

I drink wine every single day (almost, unless I am out doing something business related at night or driving or both) , 2-3 glasses of red wine, along with a baby aspirin 81 mg a day 2400 mg omega-3 fish oil..all for heart health. I don't feel it as a craving, I feel as though it is a part of my personal ritual, that's why I drink the wine...I enjoy it on my patio looking at the mountains and listening to the desert critters at night...it relaxes me, and I feel it is a celebration.

In terms of maintaining a healthy body weight and optimal health, and lowering cortisol levels ( I am not huge but I am curvy and lo ooo ve to eat, cook and celebrate in that way)...the glycemic inex is quite a good litmus test. Foods and beverage which have a GI of 55 or less are considered excellent for heart health, as they blast the belly bulge. Big bellies are linked to higher cardiac risk.

A glass of non sweet ( this is key..you need dry--sorry Jiller ahaha ) red wine has a GI of 44, like a merlot, cabernet or bordeaux... The same amount of grape juice is 46... so grapes, whether fermented or not are a great source of resveratol which promotes life extention and cancer prevention.

All this aside, I guess it's safe to say..everything in moderation...whether it be food, booze, excercise, sex...hmm. ahaha

Lemon, which tastes quite acidic is actually very alkaline (basic) and not acidic. Most fruits are!

Wild!

Love to all
paddy
Posted 7/30/2010 3:40 AM (#19690 - in reply to #3070)

With the mention of Alcoholism, I thought of the Alcoholic Anonymous Twelve Step program that helps many people grow from an addicted state of being, to a state of greater function and spiritual awareness.

It may be that in some cases, a cup of wine per day can act as "the straw that breaks the camel's back" so to speak, and leads a person to a Twelve Step program in some way they may grow from it. In this context, I'd argue a cup a day is good.

By contrast, clouding perception by way of drugs is avoided in Buddhism, where people strive to perceive reality as clearly as possible.
The happy Buddha is often depicted overweight. Possibly some degree of sedation is obtained by over eating. Does wine mixed with food count?

The psychic Edgar Cayce claimed wine with bread taken as food was beneficial. Could Holy Communion be beneficial? Could a cup of wine symbolize spiritual food? Possibly wine in food form isn't detrimental, as if the label "No Alcohol" draws a hard black and white line where it should really be gray and fuzzy.

The astrological sign of Pisces is associated to the idea of sedating overwhelming hyper-sensitivity, maybe a Piscean approach would also complement such a fuzzy gray line in the matter; meaning, its difficult to generalize and better to leave people's choice in the matter at play with what is right for them at whatever particular moment or circumstance they find themselves in. In this sense for some, its a lesson in tolerance - being okay about the choices of others, despite any tension the choices may cause. Note, please don't drink and drive.

One of my favorite books about addiction is Ken Keyes Jr.'s Handbook to Higher Consciousness, where the model of addiction can be applied to many behaviors that can limit people, his book assists people in the work of overcoming them.

paddy
Supernatural3
Posted 8/2/2010 1:27 AM (#19726 - in reply to #3070)

PhD Alumni

I recently found out that I am allergic to any and all forms of alcohol (ingested).

I don't know what is going on, but it's causing a severe Petechiae outbreak.

I will have to take what Christine Breeze has suggested "Reservitol".  

At least until I figure out the real cause of this sudden issue, I have no choice.

Dang it... I do like red wine too, just moderately. Seeing doc in morning.

instinctual
Posted 8/3/2010 11:28 AM (#19750 - in reply to #3070)

PhD Alumni

Hope all will be well Jilly...I am sure it will be!
Supernatural3
Posted 8/3/2010 1:47 PM (#19754 - in reply to #3070)

PhD Alumni

Found out the  cause.... I have Henoch-Schönlein purpura (HSP)

This is a vascular disease that attacks the veins, kidneys and bowel. Hopefully it will pass with no major damage, but it's also mostly in kids. See, I told you I never wanted to grow up. HA HA

Anyway, no alcohol during this healing and don't know if I can ever have it. Not worried about that portion.
Doing some research on kidney function and herbal supplements to help keep mine in normal working condition. (Pulling out the herb portion of my studies here). YAY!

I hate that I am on steroids now. They just injected it in my IV and now I have to ween off them.
Thank you and lots of hugs....

instinctual
Posted 8/3/2010 10:36 PM (#19762 - in reply to #3070)

PhD Alumni

Jilly..steroids are a marvel. They are serious meds. I assume you are on IV Prednisone or Solumedrol. As a nurse for a couple of decades, I have adminstered plenty of the stuff. You may feel wacky, you may have mood swings, you may laugh and cry in the same sentence, you will feel better, as they do the trick.

My first husband's family had purpura issues. Huge blistering water filled craters on their legs, restricted diets,( alot of walnuts and cottage cheese, no alcohol ) steroids, threats of renal involvement but that never happened.

How "funny" that this thread reared it's head, right now.... all will be well Doc. You just wait and see.
Supernatural3
Posted 8/4/2010 1:17 PM (#19783 - in reply to #3070)

PhD Alumni

On (pills) Prednizone, but it's making me irritable... yes. LOL

My spots are going away. More worried about kidney damage than anything else.

This is a vascular disease that attacks the bowels, kidneys and veins. (Veins are healing, although I still look like a badly decorated easter egg), i have kidney pain, as they are inflamed. Bowels are good, as far as I know... they were in bad pain two weeks ago. Lasted 6 days straight.

Three times in ER and two doc visits.... expensive lately. Hopefully not long term.

Now I have to run to take kids to appointments... taxi mom, on the go.

HUGS and Thank you for the inspiration... I needed that. *sigh*

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2016 PD9 Software