University Of Metaphysical Sciences
University Of Metaphysical Sciences ->  General Public -> Metaphysics Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

HELP PLEASE Bible reading for a wedding
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Public -> Metaphysics DiscussionMessage format

Elizabeth Ann
Posted 7/25/2007 3:58 AM (#2380)
Subject: HELP PLEASE Bible reading for a wedding

UMS Student

I have just been asked to do a reading from the bible for a wedding this Saturday just three days away. I have no idea what would be suitable as I do not know this book as intimately as many of you do.

Suggestions very welcome please

Elizabeth
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Supernatural3
Posted 7/25/2007 11:44 AM (#2385 - in reply to #2380)
Subject: RE: HELP PLEASE Bible reading for a wedding

PhD Alumni

I did an internet search and found this for you.
http://weddings.about.com/od/yourweddingceremony/a/BibleReadings.ht...

I solemnized two couples this year and used a non-religious type of words. I will put it down here. It's very short and sweet, but can be modified, added to, or created more religious. I am not sure if you are just reading or performing the marriage too.

---------------
(Groom and Brides Names)
Today on (DATE), you celebrate one of life’s greatest moments, and give recognition to the worth and beauty of love, as you join together in vows of marriage.

Exchange of vows:
(Groom) do you take (Bride) to be your wife? (Groom: I do)
Do you promise to love, honor, cherish and protect her, forsaking all others and holding only unto her?
(Groom: I do)
(Bride), do you take (Groom) to be your husband? (Bride: I do)
Do you promise to love, honor, cherish, and protect him, forsaking all others and holding only unto him?
(Bride: I do)

Exchange of rings:
Repeat after me:

I (Groom), take thee (Bride), to be my wife, to have and to hold, in sickness and in health, for richer or for poorer, and I promise my love to you. With This ring, I thee wed……. (put the ring on Bride)

I (Bride), Take thee (Groom), to be my husband, to have and to hold, in sickness and in health, for richer and for poorer, and I promise my love to you. With this ring, I thee wed … (put ring on Groom)

(Groom and Bride) Just as two very different threads woven in opposite directions, can form a beautiful tapestry, so can your two lives merged together to form a very beautiful marriage. To make your marriage work, will take love. Love should be the core of your marriage, love is the reason you are here. But it will also take trust- to know in your hearts, you want the best for each other. It will take dedication- to stay open to one another; to learn and grow together, even when this is not always so easy to do. It will take faith- to always be willing to go forward to tomorrow, never really knowing what tomorrow will bring. And…. It will take commitment, to hold true to the journey you both now pledge to share.
(Groom and Bride), The two of you have both agreed to live in matrimony and have promised your love for each other, by these vows.
I now, declare you to be husband and wife!

Congratulations…… you may kiss the bride!

Edited by Supernatural3 7/25/2007 11:47 AM
Elizabeth Ann
Posted 7/25/2007 12:00 PM (#2387 - in reply to #2385)

UMS Student

Hi Doc J

Thank you so much I will check it out now. I am not doing the marriage ceremony but have been asked to give a reading from the Bible; I think it is a Pentecostal church where they speak in tongues. The vicar who is doing the ceremony isn't going to let me get away with using my own words so I managed to buy a lovely Bible from the local charity shop, it is an updated version for the Oxford and Cambridge Universities and has the old style wording which I don't mind. I just could not turn this opportunity down as I really like the young couple who did me the honour of choosing me above all others for this task.

Elizabeth
Tracy Martin
Posted 7/25/2007 12:30 PM (#2389 - in reply to #2380)

Alumni

1st Corinthians 13 is the chapter about love.
Supernatural3
Posted 7/25/2007 12:57 PM (#2392 - in reply to #2380)

PhD Alumni

You will do wonderful!

They have good taste.

HUGS
Elizabeth Ann
Posted 7/25/2007 6:44 PM (#2395 - in reply to #2389)

UMS Student

Hi Tracy

I have just read that through and I will read it again in the morning.

Thank you so much

Hi Doc J

The website was very helpful.

I think will put two or three before the couple getting married and see which they prefer.

I will certainly give them Tracy's selection and I quite like Ecclesiastes 4 9-12

I could get quite nervous but I have been asked so I must do this. I will go over the reading many times and trust in the Universe when it is time to read from the Bible.

Thank you for helping me, I'll let you know which one it will be

Best wishes

Elizabeth
Elizabeth Ann
Posted 7/29/2007 6:09 AM (#2427 - in reply to #2395)

UMS Student

Well the wedding was beautiful and they called me to do the reading at the beginning which was merciful and went well, my voice just seemed to boom out. They chose Ecclesiastes C4 vs9-12.

Thank you all for your help it is very much appreciated.

I haven't been ordained yet but when this happens I may even consider doing weddings for couples such as these.

Love and Light

Elizabeth
Supernatural3
Posted 7/29/2007 9:52 PM (#2431 - in reply to #2380)

PhD Alumni

So glad it went well. It's rather easy to get ordained. Won't be long for ya....
HUGS
Tracy Martin
Posted 7/30/2007 3:47 PM (#2438 - in reply to #2380)

Alumni

Elizabeth, when you graduated at the Master's level from the University of Metaphysical Sciences, you should have received a Ministerial license. This is an Ordination with the Universal Church of Metaphysics. You are allowed to perform weddings, officiate at funerals and other 'religious' or spiritual events. Let me know if you did not receive your Ministerial license and Practitioners certificate.  Congratulations on giving your Bible reading and making new connections!
Supernatural3
Posted 7/30/2007 4:03 PM (#2439 - in reply to #2380)

PhD Alumni

Please check with your own state / area to see what you have to do to be legal. I had to send them a photo copy of my certificate and a check for $10 to treasurer state of Ohio to be registered in our state, in order to solemnize couples. They then sent me another certificate that shows my legality to do so.

Not all states require the same thing.

Blessings~
Elizabeth Ann
Posted 7/30/2007 5:43 PM (#2440 - in reply to #2439)

UMS Student

Thanks Doc J and Tracy

I will follow this up when I do receive my ministerial licence, hope it didn't get lost in the post. In Britian they changed the laws a while back about where people can be married, this could prove interesting when I am able to look into this.

Many thanks

Elizabeth
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2016 PD9 Software