University Of Metaphysical Sciences
University Of Metaphysical Sciences ->  General Public -> Metaphysics Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The Big Picture???
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Public -> Metaphysics DiscussionMessage format

Eirepetra
Posted 7/28/2007 2:55 AM (#2420 - in reply to #2415)
Subject: RE: The Big Picture???

Hello Marty,
it seems to me that the main problem in trying to let others know about the things that Elizabeth, Doc and I KNOW, is that it is difficult to offer any tangible proof or evidence that what we know is factual or true. Miracles seem to work if we believe accounts in the Bible, but I don't think I have the power to do miracles, so another pathway is needed.
As I have said before, I was educated in Physical Sciences and Engineering so I use these terms to express myself. I came into my quest through the obsessive need to find out what a jumbled very early childhood memory actually meant. I reflected deeply and sometimes had some insight after a night out with friends and perhaps a glass of wine more than I should have drunk. This made me realize that I somehow needed to anaesthatize my body to allow my mind to roam free. I looked at the obvious ways to do this and with scientific knowledge, very quickly researched many ways to do this, some legal, some not quite so legal :-) After my first experiences of mind and body separation I began to realize that there was even more hiding in the background than I had thought. I only wanted to find out what this annoying word eirepetra meant but stumbled upon something infinitely more important. I then decided to look at ancient writings and purchased e-books with the text of Torah, Bible, Koran, Darma, Bhagadvita, Upanisads, Mahabarata and many more translated to English. One by one I devoured the texts and reflected upon the words, their possible literal meaning and then their metaphoric meaning. Throughout these writings are descriptions of human beings experiencing things that cannot be explained. I could not find out how Jesus communed with heaven, so figured I might try Buddha. The Buddha drove himself close to death by starvation and meditation and then had his life changing revelations, (one of which was it's not a good idea to starve yourself to death :-) ) Anyway, I figured meditation is probably the best legal way to commune with Heaven..... the rest is history. I joined this forum to explore my ideas and have very rapidly realized I am not wierd or too different to some other people.
The World has a long way to go. I watched a program a couple of days ago about 21st century weapons technology. As a Scientist and Engineer I was awestruck and fascinated - as a spiritual person I despair. People of the Earth seem determined to find more and more complex ways of destroying each other. Metal Storm - the latest evolution of the cannon or handgun. Firepower of 1 million rounds per second. Amazing.... but tragic.
People are so diverted by the complexity of modern life that they are moving further and further from a simple and fulfilling peacful life. I really wish I could in some small way stop the march of the destructive use of technology.
I recently watched programs about the mission of Jesus and wondered if a great leader is only defined by his will and determination to change things. I considered whether I should give up my job and go on a personal mission to visit current leaders and try to talk sense into their heads, face to face. My wife (bless her) pointed out to me that there is too much vested interest at World leader level to hope that I could change anyone's mind. I am resigned to this, but still feel an innate sense of the correctness of trying to help other people. I still have not found my calling, and as Doc J and Elizabeth have already pointed out to me I guess I just have to keep looking for it.
Obviously you are interested in what is said in this forum and are not dismissive about the possibilities, this is great, we need more open minded scientists.
Something else I would like to share with you is a recent book by Dr. francis S Collins. A Scientist Presents Evidence For Belief. The Language of God. ISBN-13: 978-0-7432-8639-8 or ISBN-10 0-7432-8639-1. Dr. Collins really puts all of this in perspective using scientific language. It's a fascinating read.

Peace.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
NothingEverything
Posted 7/28/2007 10:32 AM (#2422 - in reply to #2295)

UMS Student

There's a beautiful coast and ancient town, on the island of Crete called Ierepetra.
And if you ever happen to visit, your heart will make residence.
But then again, did it ever really leave?
Eirepetra
Posted 7/28/2007 12:01 PM (#2423 - in reply to #2422)

WOW - FOR REAL???
I did not know that - I only spelled it that way because I know no better.
I will try to learn about it and see if there is any other significance.
Thanks for letting me know this.
mruppert
Posted 7/28/2007 10:49 PM (#2424 - in reply to #2295)

Hat's off to NTET.....and, I guess it validates the purpose of UMS and these forums.
Go for it, Mike. Let us know what happens!
Peace Profound,
Marty
Harley
Posted 7/29/2007 4:15 AM (#2426 - in reply to #2295)

Student

Mike, in the bible, old and new, communication with Spirit was done by 'going up onto the mountain'. Throughout the bible this happened. Did it mean they all trekked up into mountains near them; what happened if they lived on flat planes? Or did it mean, from an esoterical point of view, that they raised their thought vibrations to a higher level (meditation) to commune with Spirit? How could the writers of the bible explain to the uneducated what meditation was? So the easiest explanation is that they 'went up onto the mountain' Look on the 'Blue Letter Bible' website where you can do word or phrase searches and you will see what I mean.
On another matter; try not to search too hard for your purpose on Earth in this lifetime. If you have already given yourself to Spirit or the Universe, then allow the natural progression to happen. Have TRUST in Spirit or the Universe to know what your soul has chosen for you in this lifetime, and PATIENCE to allow all things to happen at the right time.
Best wishes for your journey.
Terry

Edited by Harley 7/29/2007 4:18 AM
mruppert
Posted 7/31/2007 9:57 PM (#2447 - in reply to #2295)

Hi all:
     I agree with Harleys observations. To put the biggest picture in another perspective may I offer the words of Margaret Atwood in a book which might be classifed as mainstream fiction, or science fiction, or, even fantasy....this excerpt is from "The Handmaids Tale".....in my view a book well worth reading.....it occurs at the very end.....
"We may call Eurydice forth from the world of the dead, but we cannot make her answer. And, when we turn to look at her, we glimpse her only for a moment before she slips from our grasp and flees. As all historians know, the past is a great darkness and filled with echoes, voices may reach us from it but what they say to us is imbued with the obscurity of the matrix out of which they come and, try as we may, we cannot always decipher them precisely in the clearer light of our own day"

Eternal Peace Profound,
Marty
LOTA
Posted 8/1/2007 7:13 AM (#2452 - in reply to #2295)

Hello Marty and everybody else on this forum,
I am a new kid on the block, albeit with greying hair.
Regarding the big picture and a search for meaning in life, as seen through the eyes of a scientist and engineer, I recommend a visit to http://www.universe-grand-design.com a place where the sciences and the soul meet.
On a personal note to Marty regarding meditation: learning to 'stop your thoughts' is the key (20 secs several times a day for a month and you will be amazed by the results).
Enjoy the tour on the Universe Grand Design.
Cornel
Eirepetra
Posted 8/1/2007 9:18 AM (#2453 - in reply to #2295)

I am noticing a common thread between some posts, something I have not considereed.
Why do you, we, this group or forum, or wahtever, think that we choose to be born into this life - we choose our parents and so on.
I really want to hear some ideas on this subject because my feeling is we are part of a process set in motion by something (God - Universal Mind - Sentience or whichever word each of us is comfortable with)

I woulkd apreciate some enlightenment in an area I have not thought about.

Peace.
Supernatural3
Posted 8/1/2007 12:37 PM (#2454 - in reply to #2295)

PhD Alumni

I think we choose everything, because we can. Since we are all GOD, why wouldn't we choose. The reason we would choose to experience all that there is , is to simply experience it. So we can empathize with all situations and be truly understanding to all possibilities. This is where and how unconditional love is learned. We would never understand the term unconditional if we do not sooner or later place ourselves in the shoes of everything.

At least that is my own way of looking at it. LOL
Harley
Posted 8/1/2007 12:39 PM (#2455 - in reply to #2295)

Student

Mike
We, our true self, our Soul and Divine Spark, are the only eternal things, the vehicles (our bodies) in which we incarnate are born and die. The Souls were there 'in the beginning' are here now, and will be for ever, to quote the bible. Our Soul needs to progress to a point that it need not return to any incarnation and to return to the Godhead, but may return by choice, such as, as an Avatar. To progress, the Soul needs to learn and sets itself lessons before coming into each incarnation, making agreements with other Souls who will incarnate on or around the same time, maybe as parents, siblings, friends, workmates, lovers, therapists, the nasty person at the bus stop, you get the picture. In addition the Soul also has to deal with karma from previous incarnations. This is why it needs to choose its parents and grandparents, because some human traits or genes skip a generation. The time and date of birth are also important, due to the vibrational influence of the planets, as this will add to the type of personality needed to fulfill these lessons.
Terry

Edited by Harley 8/1/2007 12:41 PM
mruppert
Posted 8/5/2007 12:43 AM (#2477 - in reply to #2295)

Hi LOTA et al:
     LOTA, I wil check out the link as soon as I possibly can. Too many things happening at the moment.
     Mike, look at it this way, I was born with some pretty crappy parents, and I never thought that I would be doing what I am doing now. What in the world caused me to pursue what I do?
     The universe? Far more than I ever imagined it could be or should be! Sentience? Far more than mortal thoughts can formulate!
      My scientific background and approach has only caused me to be even more adamant in specific things....and they defy mainstream science. But, I now know them as true.
       Keep looking, Mike.....

Regards and Peace,
Marty
Eirepetra
Posted 8/5/2007 8:10 AM (#2478 - in reply to #2295)

Doc J, Terry and Marty, Elizabeth and others,
I really am thankful I found this forum. I have gotten things off my chest, cleared my mind, found like minded spirits, and adjusted to my new perspective on life. We may not agree in entirety, or use the same words to express our discoveries, but I get the feeling that we have all found our Nirvana, for want of a better word. We are at peace with ourselves, our neighbours and our existence and look forward to the next..... something...... we no longer fear death and uncertainty. Wouldn't it be a wonderful existence if everybody could have this experience? I look forward to tomorrow with joy, I can't wait to wake from sleep to experience another day of the beauty and wonder of the earth. I see beauty in the miracle of nature. I'm still looking for my calling. I am currently in other fora with obstinate scientists, winning them over one by one..... maybe this is my calling .....
Thankyou all - I feel like a new star in the sky..... and it is because of your help...
Elizabeth Ann
Posted 8/5/2007 9:54 AM (#2479 - in reply to #2478)

UMS Student

It was a great pleasure to be a small part of this.

Bright Blessings

Elizabeth
Supernatural3
Posted 8/5/2007 3:32 PM (#2480 - in reply to #2295)

PhD Alumni

You are very welcome... and Thank you for being part of us all.

I am sure your new way of thinking will spark an entire universe of light onto those who brush lives with you.

HUGS
mruppert
Posted 8/6/2007 11:38 PM (#2486 - in reply to #2295)

Hi Cornel:
     No more grey than I am! Naw, I  still have salt and pepper.
      I took a peek at the site and can say that I find things that I agree with 100%, things that I am 50-50 on, and things that I seriously question. Which means that it is a darn good site, at least for me.
      My goal is to show the world of science, religion as "religious experience", mysticism and spirituality as being one and the same.
      The trap I have fallen into is that empirical evidence seems to be okay if we talk of evolution or relativity, but does not seem to "cut the mustard" when we talk of ghosts or god.
      Anyway, it is nice to have someone who takes a similar approach as I do, as part of these forums.
      Does this move us away from the purely spiritual folk who gather here? No, I don't think so....I think it brings us together.
      Every now and then, though, one starts to look at the body of knowledge and experience that has been accumulated, and sees that there is a preponderance of evidence that point to certain conclusions. 
       My study of "energetic healing" (along with crash, self imposed, courses in quantum physics, mechanics and chemistry AND going back to history) has lead me to believe that there can be a conclusion drawn.
       Should you be interested, please send me a private message and I will elaborate....as well as for anyone else who may be interested.
        I only say this as I do not wish to offend anyone who thinks other than I do, or to influence in any way  those that might be setting out on a path of one road or another. Also, I may be totally wrong! It has happened before, and (I am sure) will happen again!

Peace Profound,
Marty
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2016 PD9 Software