University Of Metaphysical Sciences
University Of Metaphysical Sciences ->  General Public -> Metaphysics Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What is String Theory?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Public -> Metaphysics DiscussionMessage format

visual_eyez
Posted 11/9/2007 7:56 PM (#2863 - in reply to #2180)
Subject: RE: What is String Theory?

There's a great book on the topic by Dr. Lee Smolin called, "The Trouble with Physics."
He discusses why this theory has become so popular among theoretical physicists and why it may not be the be-all/end-all solution.
String Theory is very difficult to disprove, which is very important when establishing scientific truths.
It's a great reference for understanding the complicated nuances of String!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
mruppert
Posted 11/17/2007 4:32 AM (#2926 - in reply to #2863)

Hi Viz-orbs:
     Can you elaborate on why it is not easy to disprove? Are you sure that "theory" is being used correctly?

Generally accepted as true, with a lack of empirical evidence, Theory of Evolution-St8up! Theory of Relativity(first version, minus the special) partially true, but dead wrong in some cases. Adding the "special" theorum to Theory of Relativity, a bit better, but still dead wrong in some cases, but at least it now explains gravity! Fallacies of string... a few, but significant!

Peace,
Marty
John W. Kelly
Posted 1/23/2008 11:03 PM (#3519 - in reply to #2180)

Regular

The difficulty with the unification of gravity (relativity) with quantum mechanics is its uncertainty (Heisenberg's uncertainty principle). String theory adds extra spacial dimensions to space-time to work out some of this uncertainty. This provides more symmetry (degrees of freedom).
mruppert
Posted 1/24/2008 12:02 AM (#3521 - in reply to #3519)

Hi JWK:
     It is late, but it comes to mind that didn't Bohr all ready posit the "extra" dimensional aspects? I think that he was one of the critics of Einstein, who, (Einstein) himself, realized that his hypothesis was on shaky ground. I think he openly admitted this in the later years of his life.
     Are you familiar with the works of Bohm and Pribram, particulary Bohm?
     I know that there are many supporters of string and even TOE, but I still think that the foundation is shaky...since most of it is still derivative of Einstein.
     I am going to go and hear a talk by Lene Hau, from Hahvad University....she is going to talk about stopping and extinguishing light at just a nudge above abzero, and reviving it in a completely different location. Light/matter and matter/light. The question is time! At abzero there is NO TIME, at least by Einsteinian theory, particularly by Einsteinian theory!
The transitional period, where the light moves to, is transitional but timeless, yet does, indeed involve time. Still, the light can "reappear" a few millimeters away or ten parsecs away...all in no time, as Einstein would have us measure.
   How can this be? I came up with my own little hypothesis, which I shall not bore you with (as I have said the mantra many times on this website), however it is a very perplexing question, and I don't see that the stringers shed any light on it.
     If you have literature that explains, I would be happy if you would share. In turn, I will share those things with you that I see as significant.
      But, I must warn you! Even though I am still interested in the science of this...I am taking a more esoteric approach than ever before.
       I think what did it was something I will start as a new post.
Hope to see you on that forum!
Peace,
Marty and Max Planckian cats, Luckylee, Poppyhead and Sissygirl
John W. Kelly
Posted 1/24/2008 1:29 AM (#3523 - in reply to #3521)

Regular

mruppert - 2008-01-24 12:02 AM

Hi JWK:
     It is late, but it comes to mind that didn't Bohr all ready posit the "extra" dimensional aspects?

Not sure about Bohr but I do know that a fourth spatial dimension was theorized by Kaluza. Never heard of Pribram, and am not familiar with Bohm. I'll do a search on them later. I'll round up some info that you may find interesting on this subject. Not trying to convince you regarding ST and I'm not sure if I believe it myself.
John W. Kelly
Posted 1/24/2008 5:54 PM (#3537 - in reply to #2180)

Regular

www.sns.ias.edu/~witten/
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software