University Of Metaphysical Sciences
University Of Metaphysical Sciences ->  General Public -> Questions About UMS -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dissertations
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Public -> Questions About UMSMessage format

mruppert
Posted 5/16/2007 10:06 PM (#1852)
Subject: Dissertations

Hello, particularly to the Moderator:
I have been a registered guest on this website for quite sometime, and was pleased to learn that a person, whom I now consider a good friend, was recently awarded her Doctorate. This lead me to the question....are the dissertations of your successful candidates available for public inspection? There must be a vast wealth of information accumulated, and it would be a shame to not have access to it.
Sincerely,
Marty
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Laura Phillips
Posted 6/17/2007 1:18 AM (#2048 - in reply to #1852)
Subject: RE: Dissertations

Hi there, It is simply too large a job to make such a public demonstration. The dissertations are purely academic, and not necessarily written in the form of a novel. Many students plan on eventually turning their work into a book, and the dissertation was the inspiration to help them start their writing process.
mruppert
Posted 6/17/2007 9:13 PM (#2049 - in reply to #1852)

Hi Laura:
Please excuse me and indulge me for a moment.
From your response, I am not sure what UMS would be looking for in the way of a dissertation.
I am in the employ of USM (University System of Maryland), at one of its member institutions. A slight displacement of letters in a Google search, yields your students with an accredited University system, that is not only state, but world wide, as my institution is the school that does this (UMUC). The other way around, I found UMS, and was delighted to do so!
I am used to dissertations being based on research, and definitely not "novel" in form; but novel in ideas, that is to say new or unusual in approach. It makes little sense to me for many to do repetitive research, or to publish repetitive books.
For example, the genre spawned by "The daVinci Code" is now dime-a-dozen; some good, some passable, but most bad and doomed for the bin. On the other hand, those truly interested in questions raised by "The daVinci Code" have gone back to "Holy Blood Holy Grail" from which a lot of "The daVinci Code" was uh, for want of a better word, pinched (an English term for stolen). Yes, I know that a court ruled otherwise. But, courts do not always dispense justice, and oftentimes dispense expediency in favor of justice.
I suppose we would all like to publish a book or two, and perhaps make the best seller list. I certainly would like, and plan to publish, at least a monograph, of my hypothesis of time, which contradicts the traditional view of time as stated by Einstein. At this very moment, I could write such a book, but my evidence is anecdotal and disjointed (as it comes from many sources of research, some considered valid science and others considered psuedoscience).
Hence, that is why I like to share my research with others, as my goal is not personal enrichment, BUT, the advancement of a concept which is new to others, but fundamental to the universe and can, if properly understood, (by much research by many people) lead to an understanding of the metaphysical world. The metaphysical world, by my belief system, as feeble as it might be, is THE belief system.
That is the one and only reason why I suggested that research done by others might be shared on this site..... to be sort of a library, maybe rivalling the ancient Library of Alexandria. The Library at Alexandria was destroyed. Here we have a chance to preserve forever, our understanding and insights, no matter how small or insignificant they might be at this time.
If there are practical concerns, such as the aforementioned case of Dan Brown, we have copyright laws. If there are technical concerns, I am willing to help; but there are far more people on this very site who have more computer savvy than I do.
....... Just some thoughts about this, and rendered for your consideration with respect and regard for your position.

Warmest wishes, and Peace Profound.
Marty

Laura Phillips
Posted 8/11/2007 6:11 PM (#2508 - in reply to #1852)

Hi there, sorry it has taken so long for me to post a response, I didn't realize you had posted more to this. Well, there is another concern about posting poeple's dissertations.

As you mentioned, yes there are copyright issues with this and some students have particularly requested that we not share their work with the public and we actually agree with that. We honor the ownership rights of thesis and dissertations because we have not paid for copyrights on their work, we have not done a work for hire contract that would make it our ownership, and therefore give us the right to use their writings as we wish.

We do get some thesis and dissertations that are so professionally written by some students that we are blown away! We do wish we can display ones like those, but usually those are the specific students who clearly state that they plan on releasing it as a book, they know their talents, and they are in the process of copyrighting their work. We encourage their manifestation of their work and never want to stand in the way of a students release of their material to enter the metaphysical marketplace.

There is another concern as well, and it is that not everyone is writing in such a way as we would want to put it in print as representative of UMS in any way. While most people write a great thesis or dissertation, there are some who aren't quite as prolific or able to write at the level we would require if we were to proudly post their work. While at an academic level, a beginning writer is allowed certain leeway in their writings as to skill level and use of the language (we have several who speak English as a second language), but at a professional level (such as posting written works in writing on our site), it simply would not qualify as something we would put into print. We give our students guidelines and encouragement, and tell them places where they can improve, but we cannot stand behind anything that has not been heavily edited and rewritten with a few drafts by professional editors. The ramifications of this would simply be too big a job. It isn't technical issues, that isn't what makes it a big job. It would be the editing issues to get beginning writers to a professional level that we feel would be something we could stand behind as a work we display on our site. While a thesis and dissertation serves as a catalyst for students to hone their writing skills and trigger "thinking outside the box," some students still have a long way to go before they are professional writers.

I sure do hear you, though, about how you would love to see the work of students in print! We wish we had the right to do so on some thesis's and dissertations. However, those are the very students who plan on being professional writers and have specifically asked that their work remain private until they themselves release it to the public. We understand and respect that boundary. In the meantime, there is still lots of great things to read on the internet. In this day and age we are not lacking information on just about anything and everything! There are so many people offering their knowledge for free, and that is a wonderful thing!
Rose
Posted 7/21/2008 10:26 AM (#7508 - in reply to #1852)

Student

Yes this would be a good thing! Because I agree Marty there must be a wealth of information written about and researched in the dissertations.

Love and Peace to you and all your furry friends!
Rose
Posted 7/21/2008 10:29 AM (#7509 - in reply to #2508)

Student

Maybe just the good stuff....what is publishable...and maybe the students that are selected could agree to have their works published and printed. I believe there are some that would find it ever so fantastic!

mruppert
Posted 7/21/2008 8:48 PM (#7539 - in reply to #1852)

Hi Rosewater:
     I read Laura's response a while back.....it is the practice for traditional universities to allow all to see Masters and PhD theses....they are fully protected and many of the students go on to publish parts or the whole as commercial enterprises.
     Much of what you buy in bookstores started out as a kid's thesis to get the "sheepskin"' and thereby, put some letters after a name.
     I believe that  this is one of the things that separates a traditional school from a "non-traditional" degree granting organization. Be that as it may, I respect the culture of UMS.
     On another note, the "Rosey"crucians (also an .org) have a massive library dealing with Spirituality, Mysticism, Healing and the Occult sciences. And a pretty nifty museum of Egyptology! If you are ever in San Jose, Cali....drop in!!!!!

Peace Profound,
Marty and Martinists Cats, Luckylee, Poppyhead and SissyGirl
Paul Joseph
Posted 7/22/2008 6:34 AM (#7575 - in reply to #7539)

PhD Alumni

I resonate fully with Laura & UMS' position. Traditional universities have their libraries in hard copies in buildings. There are a range of issues wiht online access, not least, ultimately, plagiarism (sorry if that sounds untrusting, but it happens).

I think given the limitations of web-based learning and assessment, UMS has as good approach as can be gotten (sorry, poor grammar, but a nice pun to, begoten !)

As for the Library of Alexandria, etc, Marty - well, now that we have a perma-Board (such as anything in this realm of illusion can be 'permanent' !), my feel is that this Board itself is a fantastic vehicle for that kind of Metaphysical living archive as you suggest, through our dialogues, healing,mutual tips, referencing, reveries, reverencing and even the occasional astral journey - wher else can you find that combo ?

Surfing & Turfing
Paul xx
Paul Joseph
Posted 7/22/2008 6:35 AM (#7576 - in reply to #7575)

PhD Alumni

ps, and whilst we swapping libraries, in the UK, the British Library in Euston Road, Kings Cross, is fantastic too ... currently it has en exhibiiton of sacred texts from around the globe ... as a library, it can access any published work in the English language
Rose
Posted 7/22/2008 10:16 PM (#7609 - in reply to #7539)

Student

Love Egyptology! Had a great collection visiting at the local museum here some months back. It was on loan from our wonderful friends in London, England.

I create some Egyptian art, I've always been fascinated with the colors and the history...and the book of the dead.

Love and Peace to you...
Rose
Posted 7/22/2008 10:20 PM (#7610 - in reply to #7576)

Student

ancient text sounds wonderful...oh to be granted into some old basement hidden in an ancient library to sit by a dim light and flip through pages of secretive ancient knowledge.

Yes, sounds great and need a few to help interpret the messages.
Paul Joseph
Posted 7/23/2008 6:20 AM (#7618 - in reply to #7610)

PhD Alumni

Dear Rose

Interesting stuff ... do not owls figure too in Egyptology ? Edgar Cayce, the early 20th century clairvoyant and healer, 'saw' an ancient cavity beneath and between the Sphinx's paws, buried, where lie the ancient records of Atlantis, he reckoned. I think recent research has indicated that there might be a hollow there, but access has not yet proven possible ! But you may know all this .. !

Blessings
Paul
Rose
Posted 7/23/2008 1:32 PM (#7622 - in reply to #7618)

Student

No I didn't know about this, but I do know that Horus was an immaculate conception and that many of the Christian storyline behind Jesus can be referenced back to many who preceded him. One scholars explanation for this was that Satan preceded Jesus with these Gods and Goddesses that had similarities in order to confuse us.

The book of the dead has laws of living that the ten commandments were taken from, the name Jesus means the annointed...So in fact some believe that Jesus was a plagiarism contrived of many parts of many previous Gods/Goddesses and that Christianity was used by the governing forces to control the masses.

I believe that the reason the messages have always been the same or similar is simply this, "God was the consistent, existing force always. The alpha and omega...and regardless of who brought the message the message was the same or very similar because it was in fact sent from God. Furthermore, the statement in the Bible that "it's the message that's important and not the messenger", carries a lot more weight than people, on a whole, give credit too.

The Path of Enlightment is just that...a path...it doesn't matter who's holding the lattern all that matters is that the intent is to light the way so that others may see it as well.

I'm sure you have some thoughts or perhaps feelings on this Paul.

As for this Owl it's time to sit and preen the feathers. As I've already exacted a nutritious lunch of Peanut Butter and Jelly....MY FAVORITE! And a real challenge to eat that with a beak!
Paul Joseph
Posted 7/23/2008 2:54 PM (#7624 - in reply to #7622)

PhD Alumni

Deep stuff dearest Rose. Did you see my link on another thread to the Tomb of Jesus site ? If not, let me know and I will profile it.

I am very tired after all our recent Board exertions so am not sure I can respond as fulsomely as your post deserves; so please forgive me in anticipation ... here is my take, for what it is worth ...

- I am convinced Jesus was a real, historical figure (numbers of historical references being the evidence)

- There are a whole range of mythic overlays, cf, Joseph Campbell as being a definitive scholar on that:

- Yet the 'mythic overlays' disguise - or reveal - the psychological truths in Christianity - as our developed world myth - yet also, taking the comparative elements, integrating the psychological truths from other traditions (hence the gift/necessity to our generation to understand, absorb, and live, the myth of the beautiful Truth - that we are all God, absolutely, yet paradoxically, only so long as we adhere to the first and second commandments - love God - the eternal divine, in our hearts and each other that leads to the second commandment, love each other as ourselves

So to sum up: Love one another; in the true and deepest meaning of love and ye shall surely find and incarnate, the Divine [please let us continue this dialogue, just flaking out now !! xxx]

Paul Joseph
Posted 7/23/2008 2:58 PM (#7625 - in reply to #7624)

PhD Alumni

Oh yes, forgot to go back to where you started - (Christian) Biblically, Satan precedes Christ, yet, Satan is also called, Lucifer, bringer of Light; the Book of Job places Satan as an equal, virtually, to Yahweh: Satan, Lucifer, was the highest angel.

But we live in the age of choice, and freedom.

As Job demonstrated, even man can defeat the negative energy of a negative angel.

Yet, in the Jesus transformation, all is transfigured x

mruppert
Posted 7/23/2008 10:55 PM (#7638 - in reply to #7575)

Hi Paul,
     Not true! Almost all MA, MS, and PhD work is available on line. Biggest academic search engine in the world is Lexus, which used to be Lexus-Nexus; and Google has Scholar.
     Paper is often found, but not necessarily so. And also, many times, you, as a general public, have to pay a fee to do a download of the entire thesis, but you can see the abstract and decide whether it is worth your quids. On the other hand, I do not have to pay, as long as I access the database via my institution's email address, in other words as long as it is my email @umuc.edu. Fair to you? Well, I dunno!
     As far as plagiarism goes, we have very powerful search engines that can find straight away if one has copied text. There is nothing wrong with quoting text....you do it all the time, and you attribute it to the original author. I do it and attribute it to it's original author. That is okay. WE didn't deprive the original authors of anything that they don't deserve. Both of us have used it in what we (in academia) call "fair use." But, if we say that "we" are the original authors, or imply that we are, then we have crossed the line into plagiarism. If we market it as ours, when it is theirs, then we have committed a tort.
     You are putting this in terms of the battle between Lord Wallace and Charlie Darwin. There you may have a point. It is, indeed Darwinism instead of Wallacism. I am not sure why that is all that siginificant. Both men "discovered" evolution and I have purchased both their books. So, both got their due.
      But I have also purchased literally hundreds of books on matters that UMS authors might deal with, and guess what? They all pretty much say the very same things!
      One of our posters sent me her thesis on healing herbs. It is well written and cogent. But, it is derivative. She does not "own" the concepts and never can....by virtue of the fact that it is derivative. I can write the very same things, in a different way and not be subject to a tort or copyright violation in any way. Just as long as I don't say her words and claim them to be mine! But, should I chose to quote her, and attribute that quote to her, I am perfectly entitled to do so.
       When dessimination of knowledge and insight and enlightenment become solely tied to how much money one "might" make from it...then we have lost what that knowledge
and insight and enlightenment truly tell us.

Peace Profound,
Marty and HideyCats (they don't like thunder, and it is raining ehavily here) Luck, Popp, and Siss
Paul Joseph
Posted 7/24/2008 3:51 AM (#7654 - in reply to #7638)

PhD Alumni

Thanks for the correction & enlightenment Marty. Noted.

I wasn't though talking about making money, but theft of ideas; as I am sure of course you are aware, just clarifying !
mruppert
Posted 7/25/2008 11:06 PM (#7724 - in reply to #1852)

Hi Peej:
     Yes, I know you were.
      It is a close call as to when "ideas" are stolen. Some British housewife sues JK and says that JK stole the idea of novels based on the concept of "muggles" from her. Well, that probably did happen...but Ms. Rowling has better barristers and she wins.
      A recent, and very close battle was Dan Brown v Baigent, Leigh, and Lincoln......and here is our paradox....but, before I continue....have you read both books? It will make more snese if you have, and we will be able to see each others viewpoints far better.
      In case others read this post, I am referring to The Davinci Code, Dan's book; and Holy Blood Holy Grail by Baigent, Leigh and Lincoln.
       I hope some others weigh in on this, because I believe the court erred to a certain degree....but I think the decision was ultimately correct.

Peace and Learning,
Marty and Lettered Cats, Luckylee, PhD; Poppyhead, MPsy; and SissyGirl, Summa Cum Cato
Paul Joseph
Posted 7/26/2008 11:16 AM (#7755 - in reply to #7724)

PhD Alumni

I am familiar with the books; but prefer by far what I take to be a more accurate rendering of the Gospel post-stories, as found in 'Jesus Lived in India' by Holger Kersten, and 'A Search for the Historical Jesus', by Prof Fida Hassnan; both books and their wider context are discussed on the Tomb of Jesus web-site I referenced on another thread. I also personally prefer, far and away, Ursula K. Le Guin to J. K. R. , so far as wizardry stories are concerned.

ps, when you said above, 'Not true', I presume you are referring to the library discussions rather than the Job interpretation .. ?! ... though too, look what happened to the great library of Alexandria .... !!

Edited by Paul Joseph 7/26/2008 11:18 AM
mruppert
Posted 7/27/2008 10:44 PM (#7856 - in reply to #7755)

Hi Paulo:
    Yes, you presumed correctly as I thought you would....but, I do apologize.....I respond as if we were having a continuous conversation.....and I have just realized how out of context some of my responses seem, particularly in forums that are very "busy." I also notice that all of us cross respond to things in other forums and thereby, lose the original thread. But, hey, it is fun.
     I have "A Search....." but it sits on a growing stack of books that I intend to read...but don't have the time to. I have read a review of "Jesus Lived...." and would very much like to study that. There is no time, Paul, no time....and the stack(s) keep growing.
     Now, Ursula is taught in many courses in our Americal universities as a visionary writer. She is also featured in an audio course by Modern Scholars, on sci-fi writing. I felt that the lecturer did not give her enough time or credit. I have always enjoyed her books. Ms. Rowling, on the other hand, is a one time flash in the pan writer. Now that Harry Potthead is dead,( by that I mean a concluded story )  she will most likely, never write anything of notability again. I finished the books because of Tracy Martin, who gave me a clue as to the true nature of Snape. So, I had to go on! She, Ms. Rowling, leather skirt and loop earrings and all, will probably be another Anne Rice, who burnt out when she couldn't sustain our beloved Vampire Lestate....notice how it is LezTat, and not LeTah, as the French would say?
I wasn't disappointed in the Harry chronicles, but I think that Tracy is a much better writer than our dear Ms. Rowling.
     A question for you.....have you read "The Swallow" by Mary Doria Russell? It is sci-fi, religion and inspirational, and quite terrifying, all at the same time. The angelic singing of certain aliens, and the ceremony of "haka-akula"....well, I won't say more in case you have not, and do read the book. Believe me, you, of all people, will be glad, sad, mad, that you read it!
     I wanted to base a course on it......if I could just teach "religious experience" at UWales, Lampeter.

Your friend,
Marty and OwlCats, Lucky, Poppy and Sissy

Rose
Posted 7/27/2008 11:25 PM (#7859 - in reply to #7624)

Student

Well yes, that's why I firmly believe that the important part has always been the message and the path. Bottomline is that the path of enlightenment is the way to live a full and good life.

Thanks for the response Paul, wish I had more time to read you and partymarty tonight but I'm off for now and I will get back to read more thoroughly at a later time.

Nemaste good people!
Paul Joseph
Posted 7/29/2008 1:19 PM (#7943 - in reply to #7856)

PhD Alumni

Dear Marty - no, haven't read that one; will try to track it down .. there was a lovely side-swipe at 'over-wizarding' in Ursula's most recent Earthsea addition ... I am glad she is being taught there; I never knew that, i hadn't heard much of her so feared she had sunk into unwarranted obscurity ....

..... the other books/Jesus Tomb stuff I find so inspirational - ie, Jesus united in his teaching the East and the West, a true Buddha, surviving the most hideous of public deaths, by his intention, rather than deus ex-machina (sorry, sounds harsh to the faithful really not meant to, just writing in shorthand ..) then going back to search for the lost tribes of Israel in the East as well as the West ! ... & yes, there is a tomb there, in Kashmir ...

and yes, Rose, thnaks & obligations to you: your remind me of one of my favourite quotes I often use, from St Theresa of Avila (I think):

ALL THE WAY TO HEAVEN IS HEAVEN

Namaste
EnteringElCastle
Posted 11/19/2008 8:53 PM (#12519 - in reply to #7575)

a degree is a degree on public record or not. And there is a shadow to a traditional University. You only get what you put in. When i finish I will have earned those letters. And who is to say someone's first thesis shouldnt be published. if your presenting a school with a thesis. It better be marketable or what do you have? UMS students dont cheat....well if some do not sure. But I am dedicated to my passion. I can write now. I fill up my blog on myspace every night. Anything is possible....Metaphysical PHD masters...you can make money....That should not be a scarey question. Of course we all can make money...doing what we love.....Glad Im off the public record. The important people close to us who say your unique.....those are UMS students. Any shadow is stopped and subject to interrogation. Are you a good with? or a bad witch? Paul
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2016 PD9 Software