University Of Metaphysical Sciences
University Of Metaphysical Sciences ->  General Public -> Metaphysics Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Are there any ABSOLUTE TRUTHS?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Public -> Metaphysics DiscussionMessage format

LiteNup
Posted 4/20/2007 11:42 AM (#1722)
Subject: Are there any ABSOLUTE TRUTHS?

Hey folks! I’ve been thinking about something lately, especially since our communication through the posting regarding evil…

With regards to the evil discussion, many participants discussed that:

If we believe in evil and that it can indeed harm us, then therefore, it certainly will.

I understand the philosophy that “thoughts create reality.” But let’s say for argument’s sake that I don’t believe that a shark will attack me while I am swimming in the ocean, but I know that it does in fact happen to others (I live in FL; this happens all the time.) Poor example, I know, and please excuse it, but I’m trying to make a point here:

Some things do exist, whether we believe in them or not, right…or WRONG?

Does EVERYTHING fall under the blanket of “thoughts create reality?”

In this line of thinking, then isn’t TRUTH subjective as well?

Are there any ABSOLUTE TRUTHS, Earthly and metaphysically speaking?

How can we determine what are our own misperceptions of TRUTH, and what IS TRUTH?

If our reality is based upon what we inherently believe and think, then I am left to wonder, is anything NOT subjective?

Your thoughts…

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Supernatural3
Posted 4/20/2007 1:52 PM (#1725 - in reply to #1722)
Subject: RE: Are there any ABSOLUTE TRUTHS?

PhD Alumni

Good topic... I don't think we as humans know for sure. (i know i don't)

I honestly don't think there are any absolute truths in spirituality, But, in science and our physical world, we know absolute zero temperature is minus any heat what so ever as in deep space. But we are talking physics in human form. I think the two are completely different, yet so similar, it's quite confusing. We do have absolute truths in science. It's just that Metaphysics is beyond science (above physics) un-measurable. All Theory and No facts, but it sure can speak for itself and move mountains.

I think many who want to use things like "Law of Attraction", keep their mind focused on their goals and create that reality themselves. In their world the shark wouldn't exist, until it did. Then they would stay away from it, to keep it from happening to them. The thing i found a little weird when they were showing that movie "What the Bleep do we know?" was that they said, the ship never existed, until someone thought it into creation. I think they meant SOMEONE thought it, not the viewer.... but if you ask me, i didn't create the tree's.... or did i? just in a different form?

I don't think a shark bite is evil, it's survival for the shark. Unfortunately we all were created to need food in order to live, which means we must hunt and feed. My neighbor said today a big bird flew down and grabbed a baby bunny and pecked it to death, while you could hear the baby bunny screaming. How horrible.... for the bunny, but good for the bird. yummy dinner. What is bad for one, is good for another. It's all in the perspective.

I don't think it's evil.... but i don't like it either, i just think it's survival and a food chain that naturally occurred in evolution.
I don't think a devil did this, it just happens when all things want to live. I feel evil is only an name for something undesirable, even if it's just part of the balance. It's just a description that happens. you can bet somewhere the good counterbalance is happening though.

Very deep thinking, i love it. I may be totally way off.... guess we will find out someday.
Blessings~

Elkhorn
Posted 4/20/2007 2:19 PM (#1726 - in reply to #1722)

Hello LitNup,
Just wanted to offer my perspective on your query about the existence of absolute truth.
Seems to me that everything in this magnificent field of energy that we live in is governed by a simple thing called the law of attraction. What that means to me is this...that everything in this field that we live in is percievable by virtue of the fact that it is vibrating at a certain frequency which is created at the inception of any thought and then added to by subsequent attention to the subject. What that implies is that if you jump into the ocean with the sense of well being and the focus of your mind is immersed in that sense then it will be virtually impossible for any harm to enter into your vibrational field because like attracts like. I suppose the only way to prove that is to use the principles of law of attraction in your moment to moment experience and to notice that we all truly create only what we think about and how we think is also key to that equation.
I think that those who are experiencing shark attacks are certainly not trying to attract that into their worlds but it is so important to be aware that the universe does not respond in any way other than "yes" to all that we think so if we are jumping into the great ocean thinking "I don't want to be attacked by a shark" the universal field is responding to such a statement by saying "YES TO THIS PERSON'S MOMENTUM OF THOUGHT THAT HE/SHE WANTS TO BE ATTACKED BY A SHARK" Everything is responded to in the positive which requires us to be very specific about the thoughts we are thinking and the way in which we are expressing and thinking about anything.
Everything is truth. We can literally create anything we can think about. The question is always 'What do I want?" Life will give us anything we think about so it is advisable to think only about what we want or we will bring in manifestations that are not quite up to speed with what we believe will make life more wonderful for us...like a default creation all mixed together with both what we want and what we don't want.
I believe that absolulely everything is subjective and that the subject of our thought is manifest eventually in the objective experience. So you have my 2 cents worth...Elkhorn in Idaho
nate61244
Posted 4/27/2007 7:41 PM (#1767 - in reply to #1722)

There must be absolutes, the world may be an illusion for all we know but the illusion if the case may be came from somewhere. As you pointed out about the shark itis real and if it bites you a real reaction will take place no matter if you think it real or not. what goes up will com down in science we know truths through experiments that can be tested over and over again and proven so in metaphysics we can prove that certain methods work and that philosophers through out te ages have came up with many of the truths of the physical world that we know today. Yes we dont no what these absolutes of the metaphysical world may be but we know there must be some I for one think that Faith is one absolute truth of the metaphysical world not saying I know alot about this subject but I am learning as we all must
brave_new_world
Posted 7/15/2007 7:29 AM (#2218 - in reply to #1722)

Hello. This is a good question. I'd have to say that absolute truth transcends both absolutism and relativism. Absolute truth is no truth in particular including no truth in particular.

So if there are any absolute truths then they cannot be defined anyway because what can be defined can be contradicted and that which is absolute cannot be so.

The relinquishing of all views leads to emptiness
But if emptiness is your view, then you have achieved nothing.

--- Nagarjuna

NothingEverything
Posted 7/15/2007 8:25 AM (#2222 - in reply to #1722)

UMS Student

In my humble opinion, the concept in our minds of non-truth creates non-truth.
before that concept, there is only absolute truth.
right now and nothing more, there is no need for names.
interpet nothing and nothing will be left uninterrupted.

soulfire
Posted 7/15/2007 10:31 AM (#2223 - in reply to #1722)

Alumni

YOU.

~SF
kader
Posted 7/15/2007 5:29 PM (#2224 - in reply to #2223)

i am the truth and i know god is inside off me every breath i take every move every thing is god believe me i am the wittnissing it every day and that for 37 years .
i came from germany born there and as a child i was flying nobody knew and when a got older i feld a camera was watching me and i moved to usa 10 years ago my backround is turkish born a moslem and i knew something is driffrent with me i knwo now after 37 years the thruth and i am so happy my mind was play monkey with me all this time finally i have my anwers i found those vidoes online without anyone telling me and when i start listing to them i could not believe that all this time all the moving my secrect i can see things i know things befor it happen all this time i had so many gifts i did not know where they came from now i know i am going to write a book soon abot my me .
i want to say thank you
kader
Posted 7/15/2007 5:33 PM (#2225 - in reply to #1722)

i am the truth
I AM
Posted 7/15/2007 11:30 PM (#2228 - in reply to #1722)

Truth is truth. Nothing more, nothing less. Before there was truth there was nothing!

Truth is timeless just as our highest Self. Truth is eternal just as our highest Self. Truth is ageless and everlasting ... just as your highest Self.

Truth is to know and to KNOW transcends belief.

I AM
Posted 7/16/2007 12:16 AM (#2229 - in reply to #1722)

We are emotional vibrating beings and we manifest our thoughts and bring them from the world of the unseen into the world of form. The Law of Attraction is very real but it's more than what we are thinking. Why, because man can't eat from bread alone. It takes another part of us to truly manifest our thoughts and that is how we are FEELING!

Our feelings is the greatest vibration. If I think it, will I manifest it? Maybe. If I "feel" strongly about what I am thinking about, will I manifest it? Absolutely!

Jesus said, "As a man thinkith in his HEART so is he." Jesus did not say, "As a man thinkith in his mind..." Why would he say "heart." Because Jesus understood, even back then, that our feelings is the greatest emotional vibration. The heart generates the feeling and it is through our feelings that we are truly manifesting.

You see, when you don't feel good about something, the heart sends a message to the brain and the brain creates mental pictures and dialogs based off what your feeling. But it's the feeling that's the strongest vibration and it's through your feelings that you attract certain people and cituations into your life.

How could this be? Well, there is an electromagnetic feild that surrounds your heart and affects every cell within the body temple. This electromagnetic field also extends beyond the body for several feet. This has been proven in science with special sensative measuring devices. Some feel, including myself, that this electromagnetic field around our heart extends out from our body for several miles.

This is where Law of Attraction comes into play. This electromagnet field attracts like energy just as a magnet attracts to metal. Is this what the Bible meant by, "Ask and It Is Given?" Not asking with words but asking with our heart based off our vibrational frequency.

The heart is the key to universal and unconditional love.

The heart is also the pipeline from the phyical world into the spiritual.
AmeM
Posted 7/16/2007 7:30 PM (#2240 - in reply to #1722)

I agree with a lot about what people say about energy fields and thoughts creating your circumstances and the like. However, it doesn't explain everything. And it leaves a huge door open for "blaming the victim" (a veritable past time where I grew up). Like in your first post, if someond did get bitten by the shark, who have they to blame but themselves because their energy attracted that shark and caused it to bite them? Now it is no longer some freak accident - it is their doing.
No, that answer just doesn't sit well with me. There has to be something else that we're missing...Maybe it is what supernatural was saying. I know my only Absolute Truth is that I don't have a clue about the Absolute Truth. Used to think I did. But I don't.

Edited by AmeM 7/16/2007 7:34 PM
Tracy Martin
Posted 7/18/2007 2:10 PM (#2285 - in reply to #1722)

Alumni

Awareness? The silence in which all sound is held? Creativity? Inspiration? One Absolute Aware Being?

Thomas
Posted 7/19/2007 11:14 PM (#2314 - in reply to #1722)

The only constant in the Universe is change.
mruppert
Posted 7/22/2007 1:38 AM (#2336 - in reply to #1722)

Change in state from entropy to chaos then back to order. 
Susan D'
Posted 7/23/2007 1:43 AM (#2361 - in reply to #1722)

THE LAW OF FLIGHT DEFYS GRAVITY..ANOTHER TRUTH~~ OUR THOUGHTS --OUR OUTLOOK --DETERMINE THE QUALITY OF OUR LIFE..MEDITATING (THINKING) NEGEATIVE THOUGHTS BUILD NEGATIVE ENERGY--ENERGY EXISTS..WE CAN CREATE NEGATIVE OR POSITVE ENERGY DEPENDING ON WHAT WE MEDITATE ON..IT IS A CHOICE--YOUR CHOICE~~MY CHOICE~~~EVERYBODY'S CHOICE..HANG AROUND WITH POSITIVE FRIENDS...IT IS GOOD FOR YOU..IT DOES CREATE GOOD THINGS ..A BETTER QUALITY OF LIFE...
Aquarius
Posted 7/23/2007 12:43 PM (#2363 - in reply to #1722)

UMS Guest

Dear Friends,

From ‘The Lightbringer – Inner Development and Outward Change’, I would like to share with you here some White Eagle teachings on the power of thought: ‘We cannot too strongly emphasise the power of thought. You think that thought is something private – that no-one can read human thoughts; but truly there is no covering to thought. It is heard, it is seen, and moreover it often has a dynamic power, as you have yet to learn. Your thoughts are either helping the world to enlightenment, or are holding back the progress of humanity. Thought can create good health and thought can also heal, but thought can introduce pain and disease, and can disrupt and destroy the bodily, mental and human soul-life. Science is only on the outermost fringe of comprehension of the power of thought. Thought can do anything in the world. Thoughts of anger fear and hate form the root of all suffering and of wars. Thought can also bring forth beauty and harmony, and brotherhood, and all else that men and women long for. We know that by seeing only good, by creating good, by positive thought, we can help to bring about that which is desirable and good.

‘As you progress on your path, it will be clearly demonstrated to you that what you think you become; the vibrations set up by your thoughts are making an impression on the higher ether. You register something on that higher ether, and thereby attract to yourself corresponding waves or forces, which again, when they return – if you still pursue your path of wise thinking, or unselfish service to others – will create certain conditions in your life. The law, working in the human mind and soul, creates conditions of life and brings to individuals – if they are work­ing in the right way – these things for which they pray and hope. But it is not only a matter of thinking what you want. That is only a small part of the picture. The real truth is that you wish to work with God to create harmony, beauty and healthfulness, holiness and happi­ness, not only for yourself, but for all humankind. It is this motive of creative love which gives power and life to your thoughts and prayers.

‘We want you to realise that your thoughts are drawn, through mag­netic vibration, towards other great thought-streams – both positive and negative. All positive thoughts – by this we mean thoughts which are good, uplifting and constructive – go forth from you and by the law of attraction align themselves to great streams of thought which are posi­tive, which are good, which belong to the White Light. Thoughts of cruelty are, in their turn, used to swell the great streams of dark or negative thoughts. Oh, how much cruelty there is in life through thought­lessness! Thoughtlessness can cause much suffering. Thoughtfulness brings love, joy, hope and courage. Your thoughtfulness, whatever form it takes, is a contribution to that great stream of White Light upon which humanity depends for its very existence…

‘Every time a destructive thought comes into your mind, therefore, dismiss it at once; because it is with this accumulation of destructive thought that the mental body of humankind as a whole is being fed with ideas which create destructive weapons and evil ways of destroy­ing life. We want to show you this clear picture: on the one side, see the creative power used for good; while on the other side, there is the array of dark, destructive thought which finds entry into the minds of strong intellects to create methods of destruction, as well as stimulating the destructive human passions and emotions. What we in spirit are all working for is to bring about harmony and balance in human life, and you too can discipline yourselves to think and create forms of goodness, beauty and harmony…

‘Those of you who are used to meditation will realise the possibilities of creative thought, God-thought, good thought. Perfect thought creates perfect form, and you will create a perfect life in time. Do not habitually think about war or other terrible things. See the creation of good as an outcome – always, always, always – and you will be actively helping to bring about those conditions.

‘There are many who will say, ‘But how is this possible when there are disagreeable conditions to contend with on the physical plane?’. It is possible, but it does need self-control, and control of all kinds of thoughts: disturbing, distracting, and diseased thoughts. You say you cannot help your thoughts rushing in – they come before you realise it. Well, that is true. But you can, in time, control the uprush. It cannot be done instantly. You cannot sit down one morning and say, ‘I will not have any unwanted thoughts today’. It is not quite as easy as that! It may take a long time, and even several lives, to gain this poise of spirit – to achieve this domination of the earthly mind by the pure spirit, the divine in you…’

With love and light,

Aquarius

Card Zero
Posted 7/23/2007 10:37 PM (#2368 - in reply to #1722)

To determine if there are any absolute truths, one must first define truth explicitly. One might be speaking of truth in a mathematical sense, where things are true based on proofs from postulates and definitions. One might consider truth to be knowable or unknowable, or only absolute with respect to its effects on the physical (metaphysical?) world. There are simply too many definitions and mutually exclusive beliefs within those definitions for anything to be said about the absoluteness of truth.

However, in the metaphysical and spiritual fields, it's a pretty common belief that truth is relative to the individual, or at least that there are many facets to truth, like the many distinct parts of an elephant (trunk, tail, tusks, color, smell, etc.). Some few even hold that truth can be directly or indirectly influenced with an act of Will.

Regarding "law and chaos:" this is just one more way of describing the aforementioned "truth elephant." Many forms of spirituality are not faith-based systems (i.e., they can be "true" whether or not you believe they are). Rather they are paths or methods of understanding truth; in short, tools. One may see the world in terms of the pendulum of law vs. chaos like author Michael Moorcock theorized in his fantasy books; yet another prefers to work in the time-honored traditions of the Catholic Church when doing her elephant-watching.

I would say that if there is an absolute truth "out there," our human methods of mapping it (language, ritual, et cetera) has not yet (and may never) evolved enough to properly approach it. But I also believe that truth can be manipulated...
mruppert
Posted 7/23/2007 11:19 PM (#2371 - in reply to #1722)

Hi Harli:
     I stayed out of this thread, until I saw Moorcock. I read "The Dancers at the End of Time" and got hooked.
     I believe what you say is true, and very well worded.
Hat's off to you,
Marty
NothingEverything
Posted 7/24/2007 7:45 AM (#2374 - in reply to #1722)

UMS Student

Like i hinted at earlier, I thought everything was already in a state of absolute truth.
Dont let your our minds fall a stray chasing thought.
Everything is pure before the mind touches it.
mruppert
Posted 7/24/2007 10:33 PM (#2378 - in reply to #1722)

Harli?
What do you make of what NTET said.......I am thinking of your closing line on your most recent post, about manipulation of truth? I am also thinking about your opening post...."thoughts create reality"
Warm regards,
Marty
visual_eyez
Posted 11/9/2007 7:39 PM (#2862 - in reply to #1722)

The speed of light remains constant throughout the universe regardless of gravity-related time dilation.
Everything else is relative to energy density and the perspective of the viewer.
Aquarius
Posted 11/10/2007 10:01 AM (#2866 - in reply to #1722)

UMS Guest

Dear Marty,

In one of your postings you mentioned that thoughts create our reality; I could not agree more. To shed some more light onto the matter I would like to share with you the following from White Eagle ‘The Lightbringer – Inner Development and Outward Change’:

‘We [your guides from the spirit world] cannot too strongly emphasize the power of thought. You think that thought is something private – that no-one can read human thoughts; but truly there is no covering to thought. It is heard, it is seen, and moreover it often has a dynamic power, as you have yet to learn. Your thoughts are either helping the world to enlightenment, or are holding back the progress of humanity. Thought can create good health and thought can also heal, but thought can introduce pain and disease, and can disrupt and destroy the bodily, mental and human soul-life. Science is only on the outermost fringe of comprehension of the power of thought. Thought can do anything in the world. Thoughts of anger fear and hate form the root of all suffering and of wars. Thought can also bring forth beauty and harmony, and brotherhood, and all else that men and women long for. We know that by seeing only good, by creating good, by positive thought, we can help to bring about that which is desirable and good.

‘As you progress on your path, it will be clearly demonstrated to you that what you think you become; the vibrations set up by your thoughts are making an impression on the higher ether. You register something on that higher ether, and thereby attract to yourself corresponding waves or forces, which again, when they return – if you still pursue your path of wise thinking, or unselfish service to others – will create certain conditions in your life. The law, working in the human mind and soul, creates conditions of life and brings to individuals – if they are working in the right way – these things for which they pray and hope. But it is not only a matter of thinking what you want. That is only a small part of the picture. The real truth is that you wish to work with God to create harmony, beauty and healthfulness, holiness and happiness, not only for yourself, but for all humankind. It is this motive of creative love which gives power and life to your thoughts and prayers.

‘We want you to realise that your thoughts are drawn, through magnetic vibration, towards other great thought-streams – both positive and negative. All positive thoughts – by this we mean thoughts which are good, uplifting and constructive – go forth from you and by the law of attraction align themselves to great streams of thought which are positive, which are good, which belong to the White Light. Thoughts of cruelty are, in their turn, used to swell the great streams of dark or negative thoughts. Oh, how much cruelty there is in life through thoughtlessness! Thoughtlessness can cause much suffering. Thoughtfulness brings love, joy, hope and courage. Your thoughtfulness, whatever form it takes, is a contribution to that great stream of White Light upon which humanity depends for its very existence…

‘Every time a destructive thought comes into your mind, therefore, dismiss it at once; because it is with this accumulation of destructive thought that the mental body of humankind as a whole is being fed with ideas which create destructive weapons and evil ways of destroying life. We want to show you this clear picture: on the one side, see the creative power used for good; while on the other side, there is the array of dark, destructive thought which finds entry into the minds of strong intellects to create methods of destruction, as well as stimulating the destructive human passions and emotions. What we in spirit are all working for is to bring about harmony and balance in human life, and you too can discipline yourselves to think and create forms of goodness, beauty and harmony…

‘Those of you who are used to meditation will realise the possibilities of creative thought, God-thought, good thought. Perfect thought creates perfect form, and you will create a perfect life in time. Do not habitually think about war or other terrible things. See the creation of good as an outcome – always, always, always – and you will be actively helping to bring about those conditions.

‘There are many who will say, ‘But how is this possible when there are disagreeable conditions to contend with on the physical plane?’. It is possible, but it does need self-control, and control of all kinds of thoughts: disturbing, distracting, and diseased thoughts. You say you cannot help your thoughts rushing in – they come before you realise it. Well, that is true. But you can, in time, control the uprush. It cannot be done instantly. You cannot sit down one morning and say, ‘I will not have any unwanted thoughts today’. It is not quite as easy as that! It may take a long time, and even several lives, to gain this poise of spirit – to achieve this domination of the earthly mind by the pure spirit, the divine in you…’

With love and light,

Aquarius

Aquarius
Posted 11/12/2007 9:19 AM (#2881 - in reply to #1722)

UMS Guest

Truth is a very flexible matter and everybody’s is slightly different from the next person’s. Every soul has some absolute truths in their life and what they are depends on its spiritual perception and the degree of maturity it has reached, at any given time. That is the reason why what might have been absolute truth to us yesterday may no longer be valid today – never mind tomorrow! With Love and Light – Aquarius

mruppert
Posted 11/12/2007 11:57 PM (#2884 - in reply to #1722)

Hi Viz-Eyez:
     The speed of light is NOT constant! Einstein thought it was, but it now has been proven that it is not. I would quote you a good reference, but I would have to dig through a stack of SciAm's that I don't want to do...as a cat is sleeping on top! You can google it, though. Scientists, I believe they were UCal, at the Lawrence Livermore Laboratory, and confirmed by the Fermi Institute, proved that light can travel faster than the constant that Einstein postulated. The event beholder, saw the trace of light BEFORE the initiator of the event triggered the event. This was done by shooting the beam through ( I recall, but poorly) a cesium chamber. The event beholder, in essence, saw "into the future". Quite upsetting, wouldn't you say?
     We have not spoken to each other before, but what I can tell you, and I may be a crazy old coot,  is that the Theory of Relativity has been chipped away at soooo many times, that we now have to question it. A theory is only that which is accepted to be true, on the basis of generally accepted evidence, but not direct evidence. E.G., the LAWS of Thermodynamics are not to be disputed, they are laws. The theory of relativity, much the same as the theory of evolution have critics. While I believe the theory of evolution to be intrinsically true, I believe also that the theory of relativity to be fatally flawed. So much so, that Einstein, himself, had to come up with the "special" theory of relativity to explain gravity. The quantum mechanics and the string theorists have poked further holes into Einsteins theory.
The matrix energy people go even further than that.
     Be that as it may, my concern is time. It's nature and it's manifestation. Albert says it is relative to you and I, the perceivers. But, all of the above, the quantum and string dudes, and the matrix dudes, say that it is completely perceptual, and bears no relation to where and when we are.
     I am going along with the quantum-matirix guys, as they are on the right track. But, then again, I go further than they do. And, that is another post.
Peace Profound, '
Marty and Luckylee, Poppyhead, Sissygirl, some timeless cats!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2016 PD9 Software