University Of Metaphysical Sciences
University Of Metaphysical Sciences ->  General Public -> Forum Support -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Suggestion
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Public -> Forum SupportMessage format

Tamara
Posted 4/6/2007 10:53 AM (#1642)
Subject: Suggestion

I was just thinking that it would really be helpful to have a different forum for each class, for the enrolled students, of course. I would love to discuss and learn about the experiences everyone is having with each meditation, or chat about the reading material. Is that possible, or should I start a different thread for each class and see who jumps in?

Thanks!
-Tamara
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tracy Martin
Posted 4/10/2007 3:47 PM (#1678 - in reply to #1642)
Subject: RE: Suggestion

Alumni

You feel free to start a thread in the student area! It will be most interesting. I have the honor of reading through the meditation responses of students and find such amazing treasures of wisdom, courage, spiritual intention and revelation. I often wish I could just post many of the responses on the forum because they are so inspiring! Maybe I should start asking students for permission to do so?

Thanks for a really good idea!

Inner Vision
Posted 4/13/2007 12:58 PM (#1702 - in reply to #1642)

UMS Student

How about a chat room with instant feedback? Is there enough interest to create one? Just a thought.
Dianne
Tracy Martin
Posted 4/16/2007 7:42 PM (#1712 - in reply to #1702)

Alumni

Hi! We have discussed the possibility and are open to that occuring in the future. We are not quite ready to moderate it right now and we would need to figure out when the chatroom would be available. It is definitely a great idea and we hope to see this feature in the future. Thank you!  
cause
Posted 2/26/2008 10:09 PM (#3710 - in reply to #1642)

UMS Student

I think this is a wonderful idea. I feel I could improve my insight and retain more from all of the classes if this where to happen. I will start if others will not. Thank you for posting this!
instinctual
Posted 2/29/2008 3:32 PM (#3729 - in reply to #1642)

PhD Alumni

Wow, that would be an amazing thing! I hope it floats!
Paul Joseph
Posted 4/24/2008 5:07 PM (#4629 - in reply to #1642)

PhD Alumni

Have been reflecting on this on and off for some time. As an overseas student I have felt rather isolated and 'alone'. But also, speaking with a background in UK Higher Education Quality Assurance issues, I am also aware that, especially in a distance based course, there needs to be rigour about safeguading against plagiarism, whether of formal academic work, or even, of meditative experiences, which ultimately must be, one's own. And especially in a course that concerns spiritual development, healing and concern for others.

I do not mean to sound harsh or untrusting of anyone, but I think for standards to be maintained/developed/assured, this is quite a careful/sensitive area.

On the other hand, i am quite happy to be supportive and respond on the student site for any peer/collegial thinking.

Sorry if that all sounds pompous. i am British, after all !!!!
Blessings - Paul
sunflower
Posted 4/30/2008 3:26 AM (#4881 - in reply to #4629)

Elite Veteran

hi paul,na.you don,t sound pompous,whats british got to do with pompous anyway,all round the globe there are pompous people,your ,to me,a kind loving soul,always ready to help those in need,reflects your position,and nature,maybe a little eccenrtic though,ha! ha!,no,just a deep thinker,an analyser,no fault there,i analyse anything and everything,its just my nature,i analise myself continuously,sometimes don,t like what i see.so try to work on that,otherwise,my british compatriate,you are who you are,i think we should have a free for all,more humour,especialy humour,that lightens the spirit,have u noticed,that if you feel angry,sad etc,someone makes you laugh,and suddenly,all is put into perpctive,love and lite my friend
Paul Joseph
Posted 4/30/2008 3:42 AM (#4883 - in reply to #4881)

PhD Alumni

Good to be in touch, Sunflower.

Dharmically yours

Paul
sunflower
Posted 4/30/2008 7:47 AM (#4890 - in reply to #4883)

Elite Veteran

pj,whats dharmicaly mean?
Paul Joseph
Posted 4/30/2008 8:21 AM (#4892 - in reply to #4890)

PhD Alumni

I was playing with words & concepts ... the Dharma, is, I think Buddhism, the the eternal law, truth and guidance. A lovely concept, I feel. Jung said (Collected Works volume 11, para 822), "The transcendent function ... shows how right the East is in assuming that the complex experience of dharma comes from within"

"Yours in the Dharma" appears somewhere on the inside cover of a Jethro Tull vinyl collection c. 1980 and I always have liked it as a form of blessing. So I just adapted it, combining it with 'yours sincerely', and created, Yours Dharmically. Makes a change from saying:

Namaste
mruppert
Posted 5/7/2008 12:46 AM (#5001 - in reply to #1642)

Hi Sunflowerseed n' PeeJay:
      As an Americal whose lifeplan is to go to the UK (but the light dims as the USD approaches 2 to the quid, and is not far away from the same for the Euro) I dream of spending approximately 5 minutes in Londontown, many many years with my friends in Hanham, Bristol, trips to Bath; but my home would be Lampeter, Wales. I have great dreams of getting a teaching position at UWales-Lampeter since they have the Alistaire Hardy Foundation and the School of Religious Experience.....which is esoteric in nature....some of the lecturerers give talks at Treadwells! I could actually teach a course on "Ghosts and Other Spiritual Entities".
       Okay...to the nitty-gritty......Sunbeam...the Brits are pompous, most of the time in a good way, but sometimes to the detriment of others. You guys don't like the immigration that occurs, you treat the Eastern Europeans badly (particularly the Estonians and Romanians), and you tolerate those from Injah, Pakistan, and Bangladesh cos ya got to have a curry!!!!
And, OMG, don't lets talk about the Tinkers and Travelers. Quite afew bits and bobs ta sort out, innit?
      Paulio......you absolutely blew me away with Jethro Tull....how is it you come by a vinyl? Ian is my jukebox hero!
Of course, I assume that almost all on the forum are much younger than I am, and would not know such music, or care.
      For you both, what do we as Americans, remember? The Beatles are forgotten, non entities. Though, I just heard early tapes of them performing and it reminded me of how I didn't like them, but have had a change of heart...particularly when they sing songs that they forget the lines and improvise....like "No Reply".
     Nah, we remember to this day and love the Rolling Stones, who performed two years ago at our SuperBowl.....and what was Mick's closing song? Satisfaction...electrifying the crowd of 80,000 people, most of whom were not even born when he first sang it.
      I was 14 years old when I first heard it, and the poetic, prophetic words still resonant today.
      I was a big fan of the "British Invasion" and have many original vinyls of the Brit groups...The Animals, Manfred Mann, the Zombies, Spenser Davis, Dave Clark Five, Peter and Jeremy, Sandy Shaw, etc. ad nauseum.
      But, the Statesal, not to be outdone, answered in kind, with the genre known as "psychedelic" music, though we had to start it with our own musician exiled to Britain before he became popular here. His band, which had two Brits, changed our musical world and fostered a wave of musical innovation that will never be forgotten.
       To hear what I mean, find an album called "Surrealistic Pillow" by the Jefferson Airplane and listen to a song called "Somebody to Love." The lyrics are okay, but the point is to listen to the end of the song....I forget who was playing lead guitar....but listen to a free form guitar, that goes down in history as the most intelligent, well thought out riff that anyone could have conceived of.
         And, I have bored you all to tears,

Byeeee, in Pax,
Marty (Mr. Muppet) and Psycho-delic Cats, Luckystars, Poppsycle, and Sissystars
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/7/2008 4:20 PM (#5005 - in reply to #1642)

PhD Alumni

Dear Marty (or you seem to prefer, Mr Muppet! - sounds good) - i bought the vinyl when I was a callow youth, before ever there were tapes & CDs and such; and still have it in my loft. I taught myself to play the flute after hearing 'Living in the Past' ... so, we have some shared music, as i kind of suspected. But have since moved on to Sikkhu, Shakahachi, Semi Toyos and Toyos; with a otuch of the occasional tin whistle. Yet none too well, sadly.

Your observations on the British i reserve for further response, perhaps. It is said (perhaps by the Welsh) anyway, that the Welsh are indeed the sole surviving members of the ancient Britons. So perhaps you have a hankering for things British !

I still wonder if I could have been in your musical research project, but not sure.

Au revoir
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/8/2008 5:35 AM (#5016 - in reply to #5001)

PhD Alumni

ps, the Beatles ... I cited their 'Yesterday' in a post to, I hazily recall, Instinctual (?sorry ,if that's wrong) .... on cultural references -(ie, the phrase, 'so yesterday', as in, passe, being, I was suggesting, a cultural reference from the song, 'Yesterday' : but then I am very borrring!!)

... also, gone but not quite forgotten, i regularly pass by the Abbey Road studio where the famous cover shot was taken of them crossing the road on the, as we say, Zebra crossing; there are always, just always, tourists trying to get their photographs taken without being run over ...

I bumped into Ian Anderson (he of Jethro Tull) in the lift in Florda airport many years back; my wife and his family were the only ones in it ... I could not bear not to make contact ... but he beat a rapid retreat, i am sure he thought I was a stalker !!
mruppert
Posted 5/9/2008 11:42 PM (#5074 - in reply to #5005)

Hi PaulJoe:
"I still wonder if I could have been in your musical research project, but not sure."

Are you referring to my top five songs, or moreso to my call for anyone familiar with "early" music?
The top five poll, which I have neglected to go back to (Not Enough Time, dammit) is a good study, as we can all tell something about ourselves and others by how we have answered.
My call for those familiar, or at least studying early music involves a project that I cannot say what it is. The reason being that if our first assumption is correct, then the second part of the project may well lead to an answer that many have tried but none have succeeded. The first step proof leads to funding for the second step, and, from there on who knows?
My first step computer genius is a young kid, and, (if anything like me) is quasi-reliable, but essential. The second step involves tedious work, but at least with a hope and dream that he or she will be known as doing something that no person, government, or computer in the world could do.
The team that reaches the goal of the project will, at the very least, be the glory children of the History Channel, Discovery Channel, and other such nonsense. But, we will also be the "gifted children" of the academic world, and depending on what we find, perhaps beyond that.
Any money that we receive for our original research is split equally amongst those that have contributed. Anything that anyone wants to do afterwards, is purely up to each.
If I am right, I and my associates will be famous!

Peace n' Love,
Marty and Infamously Luck, Popp and Sisssss
P.S. Any money I would ever make from this, I would give it all away! I only want to be known as the person who did this one thing, and to be remembered for that......that is enough for me!
sunflower
Posted 5/10/2008 9:34 AM (#5094 - in reply to #5001)

Elite Veteran

well well mr muppet,sounds like a case of "not in my back yard",from my limited knowledge,does america not have same issues with mexicans,porturicans,cubans,etc,or am i totaly wrong,and do you welcome all immigrants,legal or otherwise with open arms ,oh yeah didn,t i see mecsicans being shot by the border patrol,as they tried to cross the border,or am i pompously dreaming,as i said,and stand by,pomposity is a world wide thing,as for your last line ,yes,you know since i was young,i always wanted to come to america,still do,but now,i wonder if i will be accepted,as i was born and bred in wales,i am welsh,and sooo proud of it,as i,m sure pj is proud of being british,as you are proud of being american,isn,t that the way it should be.
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/11/2008 4:08 PM (#5143 - in reply to #5074)

PhD Alumni

Not sure if I am replying to Sunflower or Mr Muppet, but - as for the project, I gave in the top 5 songs and am still wondering where this was going (but, no pressure - and let me know if you didn't register [pun - geddit?] them ....

.. it was the early music project to which I was referring [like the grammar?] - not concerned with recognition, as long as nothing is plagiarised, as in, 'Nothing is forgotten' (Robin of Sherwood, c.1982, British TV)

.......... Sunflower, maybe we better let this one pass; the Welsh are the Ancient British, King Arthur is - or was - or shall be - the Once and Future King - Columbus discovered the Americas, or was, Amerigo de Vespucez - but ---- did the Native Americans - or were they Shamen, Inca, Mayan, or Atlantean want to be discovered - or even, did they know they were lost? So, it does not matter who won or lost the Boston Tea Party, or what colour their uniforms were, or whether Hawkeye was actaully written by John Fenimore Cooper [one of my Dad's favourite books] ... or which side Hawkeye fought on, or wether we 'Resist Not Evil' [a serious pont, from the great JC, not AC] .....As we say hereabouts, 'least said, soonest mended'. We know who we are.
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/11/2008 4:10 PM (#5145 - in reply to #1642)

PhD Alumni

SORRY ALL - this is not deliberate but the system is taking so long to up/download that all my posts are repeating themselves. Must be something I ate. Maybe its' old AC himself (just being playful there - no disprespect ...]
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/11/2008 4:11 PM (#5146 - in reply to #1642)

PhD Alumni

Funny, that on went through just fine ........ see what happens where one is conscious ?
sunflower
Posted 5/12/2008 3:53 AM (#5153 - in reply to #5074)

Elite Veteran

hi pj,i will take your advise,wasn,t aware i had broken anything,still say pomposity is global,maybe you are saying i should think before i speak,but i speak with my heart,not through the crazy mechanisms of the brain,brains,like computers crash,the heart is always faaithful,and truth,luvx
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/12/2008 7:43 AM (#5154 - in reply to #5153)

PhD Alumni

Sorry Sunflower (I remember though you do not like me saying sorry!) - I did not mean to imply you had broken anything and you must speak as you find & feel; I was just having a playful time with 'banter' as we say here; I'm glad you responded as it also gave me a chance to add a 'ps', which is, that, apart from alleged European discoverers of the USA, I forgot to mention the Vikings, but also - the Welsh; there being as i undertand it an ancient Welsh legend that the lands of the West were discovered even before the Vikings, by two Welsh brothers (that is quite apart the other question as to whether the indiegnous peoples of those lands thought they were lost in the first place. Indeed, according to Erikson (Atlantis in America), the ancient Atlanteans were a great seafaring nation, based somewhere in the central American region. So we all discovered each other, I guess. But I digress ...
mruppert
Posted 5/14/2008 3:54 AM (#5230 - in reply to #1642)

Hello Sunnyside:
     ...and where might we meet? Of course! In Wales!!
     I'll be in Lampeter, but may have a stay in Newport before.
      But, oh Sunster, you gottah have the degree to take my course of study at UWales, because I will be lecturing on grad level.
       So, tell me Sunshade, do you speak Welsh?

Your Servant,
Marty and assorted cats
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/14/2008 6:17 AM (#5236 - in reply to #5230)

PhD Alumni

Marty - a propos your great way of playing with names - your reference to me as Joe, you might be interested in this chain of names - my middle name is Joseph, my wife's name is Josephine, my father's first name was Joseph, my mother's first name is Josephine; my wife's grandfather in pre-war Poland was named Joseph (he owned a shoe factory, my grandfather here in the UK worked in a shoe factory); when it came to naming our first son we had a trial trying to keep the Jo ..s.., which we kind of wanted to, because in the Jewish religion (my wife is Jewish) you cannot name a living person after a dead one, so we went for Joshua ... just interesting coincidences perhaps ...
NothingEverything
Posted 5/14/2008 9:24 AM (#5254 - in reply to #1642)

UMS Student

Joshua is a great choice!
What a world of names!
as it just so happens,
that my name is James.
When my daughter was born,
and heaven she brought,
We named her Nevaeh.
with no second thought!

offsubject, i know.
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/14/2008 9:27 AM (#5255 - in reply to #5254)

PhD Alumni

Well, I took us off subject, so any blame is mine ?! But just to say back to NE - great name poem; and so near to Nirvana (aka, metaphysical word game). Spooky. Back to the topic I guess ...
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2016 PD9 Software