University Of Metaphysical Sciences
University Of Metaphysical Sciences ->  General Public -> Metaphysics Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

quiting nicotine
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Public -> Metaphysics DiscussionMessage format

cause
Posted 2/26/2007 11:32 PM (#1546)
Subject: quiting nicotine

UMS Student

I have smoked on and off for twelve years and am now quitting. I've been crawling the walls for the past few hours and It keeps occurring to me that I am a student of metaphysics and seemingly should be above this. Certainly one cannot have a working metaphysics while one is obsessed with distracting thoughts and cravings It is just to much of a distraction. I don't know where this thread will lead but perhaps we can discuss addictions and what distracts us from spiritual lives.

trying to avoid a blowout,
cause
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Supernatural3
Posted 2/27/2007 4:46 PM (#1549 - in reply to #1546)
Subject: RE: quiting nicotine

PhD Alumni

Hypnosis would be a good choice for you on this matter. Sounds like you WANT to quit, which is the needed key for hypnosis to work. Wendi.com does sell a good hypnosis CD on quit smoking. you may even find it on a download somewhere...... but i didn't suggest doing that.
cause
Posted 2/28/2007 12:21 AM (#1550 - in reply to #1546)

UMS Student

I appreciate the support. I might try hypnosis or possibly self hypnosis. I really need to change my habits. I have not smoked in a while and this is good. Now if I can just get off the gum. . . . . . .

Edited by cause 2/28/2007 12:29 AM
Supernatural3
Posted 3/5/2007 2:50 PM (#1551 - in reply to #1546)

PhD Alumni

I will send you extra healing energy your way, to give added support to your desire to quit.
Blessings~
Tracy
Posted 3/7/2007 2:41 PM (#1555 - in reply to #1546)

Student

A challenging overcoming! Drink lots more water...LOTS. Your own inner guidance will assist you in distracting yourself. Change the focus of your attention as often as you need to. It is nothing but an old habit..not even real...your body wisdom is far more powerful than the habit. Really..drink more water! All of your body cells need to get flushed out. Ground yourself a lot and be super loving and nurturing to the part of yourself that seems to be suffering. It is an exciting adventure in allowing intuition/life force/innate intelligence to take over. This can be done with any unhealthful habit...eating, exercizing, thinking, feeling. Keep your thoughts focused on positive things. You never really liked tasting like an ashtray any way! Lots of love to you Cause!
Christine Breese
Posted 3/7/2007 7:34 PM (#1558 - in reply to #1546)

UMS

When I quit the smoking thing long ago as a habit, I learned that what I really wanted every time I wanted a cigarette was some deep breaths! it was the only time I took deep breaths. So I started taking 5 or 10 deep breaths every time I wanted a cigarette and lo and behold, it was a great subsitute.

Eventually the habit goes away, a month is about what it takes, and then cravings come up now and then for a while after that, but deep breaths was my pathway out of that... hope that helps!

Now, the funny thing is, I have always liked the ritual of smoking. It has ancient roots, and it seems to me that a lot of social connecting happened in tribes and such as they smoked around a fire, and I just LOVE that! So here and there, I will have a cigarette (not a commercial kind, those would give me a headache, one that actually has herbs and such that I put together myself, and I'm not talking about marijuana or anything like that) and I make it a real experience. I am with the experience fully and only feel like having that experience once in a while, usually at a campfire on a beach is when I want to do that. I think moderation is what makes it ok, it probably only happens a few times in a whole year. However, then smoking becomes an entirely different thing. It is NOT a daily or even a weekly or monthly affair, and it is a special circumstance once in a while. So I think in that context it is ok. Now I'm not sure this would work for everyone since some people would immediately be hooked again. It works for me because I don't have quite so much of an addictive personality (altho ice cream and chocolate have been known to be my nemesis, of course!).

I wouldn't suggest this for everyone, though. For those addicted to chocolate like I am, either a teeny bit at the end of the night that is some sort of natural unsweetened kind, or an all out piece of chocolate suicide cake once a week on Sundays works for those kinds of addictions! Now that addiction is one I have to cater to!!! I can't seem to get away from that one! I think chocolate is actually a physical requirement for my particular body type!! (just kidding) Well, in moderation, it's fairly harmless anyway, and I don't think total denial of the earthly pleasure of chocolate is necessary in order to be spiritually well-behaved! I do believe we are here to enjoy ourselves!
cause
Posted 3/7/2007 8:14 PM (#1559 - in reply to #1546)

UMS Student

I really agree with the deep breaths method of treatment. I find that anything that effects my breathing helps. The ritual appeal is something I will miss I guess I will have to find healthier ways of assuage this desire. I am thinking of trying a little self-hypnosis. self-hypnosis I hope will help me strengthen my resolve. I may look into someone to help with the hypnosis. It would be easy for me to work under the assumption that will alone should be enough. As for the ritual maybe that will come with time.

thank you everyone,
cause
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2016 PD9 Software