University Of Metaphysical Sciences
University Of Metaphysical Sciences ->  General Public -> Metaphysics Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The Secret? What do you think about the movie? Is it really the secret?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Public -> Metaphysics DiscussionMessage format

Dancing Daisy
Posted 2/10/2007 1:46 AM (#1497)
Subject: The Secret? What do you think about the movie? Is it really the secret?

UMS Student

I just saw "the secret", a movie that's been getting a lot of publicity lately, and it was ok. It didn't teach me anything new, and actually seemed to be telling about stuff that us metaphysicians have known for a long time, but I'm glad to see that the "regular" people who don't think about these types of things in life much are starting to get it. I have felt that so many of these books that people get so excited about, like Neal Donald Walsh "Conversations w/God", Celestine Prophecy, and other really popular books, they are jst beginner's material and even tho it's great there's a lot of people getting into them, well... they aren't really the truly hot stuff about metaphysics!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Supernatural3
Posted 2/10/2007 11:42 AM (#1499 - in reply to #1497)
Subject: RE: The Secret? What do you think about the movie? Is it really the secret?

PhD Alumni

yes, i saw it and got the full version. I also have known this all along. It's puting it to use that is really hard. Basically trying to always focus on all positive, when so much negative is constant is tricky. LOL But can be done!
asha
Posted 2/10/2007 6:26 PM (#1500 - in reply to #1497)
Subject: RE: The Secret? What do you think about the movie? Is it really the secret?

UMS Student

I think the movie is great to introduce people to the idea that your thoughts + your emotions= your life. It is quite true that this is basic metaphysics, but some of us may forget that most of the planet's population is in metaphysical kindergarten, and this idea has to be digested to go any further into metaphysics 101! This is easy to forget when some of us are off building lightships and all...lol. I definitely see this movie, as well as The Celestine Prophecies, What The Bleep, Conversations with God, The Power of Now, etc, to be assisting in shifting the historically rigid human mind, and opening the doorway for the new paradigm to emerge within human consciousness. Metaphysics is going mainstream, people! We are not the only wierdos anymore! In fact, we aren't wierdos at all (okay, well, maybe a little...) we are the professionals! (oooh, that is scary..., like Homer Simpson, the professional Nuclear technician!) I did think the Secret was a bit goofy. But I also felt it did succesfully introduce a very important and central metaphysical concept to a wide audience. That is undoubtedly a good thing!
Christine Breese
Posted 2/14/2007 1:15 AM (#1518 - in reply to #1497)

UMS

You know, i met this 20 year old kid the other night and he's this millionaire kid who already made his fortune in MLM marketing, and he was all excited and talking to me about the secret and such, which to me are just beginners metaphysics concepts that must be left behind once one really becomes a servant of god. All this teaching about thinking and feeling positively to create a good life, these are just mind powers. Yes, it works, but to simply surrender oneself to carrying out the will of God, whatever that is and letting go of our own ideas of what we want, our desires and goals, that is the highest form of manifesting.

Even if mind powers work, does that mean we should be using them for selfish motives to gather and hoard wealth? A lot of people, including spiritual types, are “greedily” latching on to this way of attaining more wealth, abundance, “what I want” and more. However, this can become another way to be greedy, yet armed with potent mind powers that work!

Anyway, I whispered to the kid, "That's not the secret, they're misguiding you..." and then his eyes got kind of critical and then he went away from me. Then later he wanted to know what the secret was and I told him, "you're eternal consciousness and you're dreaming all this, and you never die, don't have to learn anything, you don't have to fix anything, you already have it all... that's the real secret. That other stuff is just metaphysics for beginners... That mind over matter stuff used to gather and hoard wealth is for greedy people… who have definitely not found the secret… the secret is that you ARE Godself and you already have everything and nothing at the same time." I definitely planted a seed in the young kid’s mind. It’s so nice to see that they’re already on the path so young nowadays!

I'm glad it's all getting to be mainstream stuff with that movie, but hey, wherever the spiritual path has to start is fine by me, even if it appeals to people's greedy bone, so be it, at least it starts people on the spiritual path. Didn’t we all start because we wanted a better life, more money, more love, more happiness, more something??? Fortunately it can lead to what is deeper than all of that. (wink!)

Elizabeth Ann
Posted 2/20/2007 3:13 PM (#1539 - in reply to #1518)

UMS Student

Hi Christine

Thanks for the posting, this has made things clearer for me as I wondered about parts of the Secret.

Elizabeth Ann
Tracy
Posted 3/7/2007 2:45 PM (#1556 - in reply to #1497)

Student

My son and his girlfriend have watched The Secret and are so excited and confident about it. They have challenged me to be even more aware of letting go of negativity, self-pity, unbelief. I am so proud of them!
Tamara
Posted 3/29/2007 5:02 PM (#1595 - in reply to #1518)

Christine Breese - 2007-02-14 1:15 AM

Even if mind powers work, does that mean we should be using them for selfish motives to gather and hoard wealth? A lot of people, including spiritual types, are “greedily” latching on to this way of attaining more wealth, abundance, “what I want” and more. However, this can become another way to be greedy, yet armed with potent mind powers that work!

I have to be honest, I didn't really care for the movie. Some very good friends of mine are gaga over it, and told me that it would change my life. They are both very spiritual women, and I was a bit surprised that they liked it so much after I watched it. I felt a bit offended by the suggestion that if I wanted a million dollars, all I had to do was to believe that it was coming to me. A bit simplistic, I'm afraid.

I think that buried under the hype, there is a little bit of a good message in there about trying to think positively to draw positive things to oneself, but for me, I could have saved myself about $25 and gotten a far better message by buying a copy of Creative Visualization and rereading it.

I felt like the approach was so goofy that it really obscured what could have been quite a powerful message about drawing what you need to you by "putting it out there in the universe," as I say.

I worry that people at the "basic" level of this kind of thinking could really take this quite literally and focus on getting the "stuff" that they promise in the movie... the perfect house, tons of money, etc... Why could they not have said that we could draw world peace? or an end to hunger? or even better schools for our children? Most of what I got out of the "Secret" was that it could be used on a very material level. I guess people wouldn't pay $35 for a DVD that taught them how to think about world peace, but if you can get a new Luxury Sportscar out of the deal... Marketing genius at work there, huh?

And, what about the inverse? Do we blame the victims of crime for drawing it to themselves? Do we say to a terminally ill person that it is their own fault for getting sick and not being able to be cured?

Just to really stretch this to absurdity, does the law of attraction trump the law of gravity? If I lovingly and confidently picture myself floating in air, can I really draw the skill of levitation to myself? How would this be any more absurd than drawing large amounts of money to me simply by thinking about it?

I don't mean for this to sound completely cynical. I do tend to approach things with a bit of irreverence, and a tendency to think things through.

I am a firm believer in the power of visualization, because I believe that if you can visualize it, you can make it happen. However, the key of that is that you can *make* it happen. Through your own works. I think we can attract opportunities and teachers and spiritual revelations to ourselves, but we also have to put in some elbow grease of our own.

So, when my Mother asked me about the movie, I described it as a Napoleon Hill meets Shakti Gawain meets hokey new-age infomercial. Sure, it will increase my prosperity. As soon as I sell it on ebay.

-Tamara
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2016 PD9 Software