University Of Metaphysical Sciences
University Of Metaphysical Sciences ->  General Public -> Metaphysics Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New Age Fraud?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Public -> Metaphysics DiscussionMessage format

Paul Joseph
Posted 8/28/2015 6:54 AM (#26519)
Subject: New Age Fraud?

PhD Alumni

http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=4224.0

Hi Y'all

I happened upon the above web-site when I was Googling Christine. I was Googling her out of idle curiosity as I wanted to work out how best to contact her directly to say thank you, as had been doing the UMS meditations again recently to aid my recovery, and they are doing just that (so, thank you Christine and UMS!)

I thought I would post on the NAF web-site a response to their negativity but my energy ran out at that point ... so I thought I would post my response here ... to say that I think that I think they are missing the point of the UMS degree process - which is a process and a very valid one in my view and experience: a UMS doctorate is unique in combining elements of meditation, creativity, reflection and spiritual self-analysis, all of which are lacking in a traditional PhD.

Neither is UMS a 'diploma mill' as the NAF claim, as courses are assessed and all elements are required for completion.... it is inexpensive, which is unlike traditional colleges/universities.

Somewhat bizarrely the NAF people seem to seek to discredit some poor soul who has gone to the trouble to register and post her own replies ...

I admit I found UMS' venture into the Andes somewhat at odds with my own sense that God is here/now, wherever we are; but assume that Christine's purpose made sense to her.

Hopefully someone at NAF might pick this up, or if not, anyone curious about UMS and who might have been put off reads it anyway.

Blessings and bestness of everything to everyone reading

Paul

Edited by Paul Joseph 8/28/2015 7:23 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Disa
Posted 8/30/2015 8:28 AM (#26524 - in reply to #26519)
Subject: Re: New Age Fraud?

Alumni

Hi, Paul.

I think I ran across this website before and paid it no attention. I read it, but clearly whoever has written this has spent a lot of time and energy giving their negative opinions of it all. I wonder why? Why would someone who doesn't care anything about what we do spend so much time and energy pointing out how they feel about it? Oh well.

I think UMS has been very upfront about accreditation, what the school is and especially what it isn't. No one is mislead by anything when they enroll. Everything about the school is clearly laid out on the website for those who want to read it, and the staff is always very good about answering questions.

I got so much out of the courses- much more than I anticipated. You mentioned you are working through the meditations again to aid your recovery, and it's doing just that. I'm so glad you have them as a resource to help you again. I cannot tell you how much the meditations helped me in my own healing process as I was working through the courses in the beginning. At some point I would like to go through them all again.

This school isn't for everyone, I understand that. Either it's your thing or it isn't. Those who are seeking this type of education will find it very rewarding. Degrees aside, there is a lot of actual learning going on here, a lot of healing, and a lot of transformation.

Paul Joseph
Posted 8/30/2015 11:37 AM (#26525 - in reply to #26524)

PhD Alumni

Hi Disa

Yes, agree with everything you say.

Nice of you to read and reply to the post. Always good to relate and correspond with you.

Checking out all those downloads on the site again I was reminded how rich and enriching they are. Like renewing old friendships ...

Best of everything

Paul

Edited by Paul Joseph 8/30/2015 11:38 AM
Ophiucus
Posted 8/30/2015 2:38 PM (#26526 - in reply to #26519)

Forum Administrator

Hello All

I wasn't sure if this ought to have been better posted under the Student Discussion Forum; but I think on reflection, posting it onto the open site is a better exemplification of our openness to hear diverse views,even if in disagreement with our own experiences. So am leaving it here.

Blessings Everyone
Ophiucus
mruppert
Posted 9/1/2015 7:06 PM (#26531 - in reply to #26519)

Expert

Hello all:
Well, employed by an accredited, worldwide, primarily online, state university with an enrollment of 90K to 105K students, I will focus on the "academic" aspect of what is discussed here.

But, first my rant on our (USA) education system.....just because you have a degree from Harvard or Yale does not mean your academic experience is any more valid than someone's at the University of Little Swope on the Tyne or the University of Transylvania (which happens to be in Romania and also Kentucky, USA). Beyond that, the majority of big name NCAA schools in this country award degrees to so called "student athletes" that are worth the paper they are printed on, but little else.
A noted Prez of the US went to Yale, yet couldn't pronounce "nuclear"; couldn't locate a country he invaded on a map; and still thinks he won a war which, in reality, we so badly lost that it is pathetic and shameful to even bring this up.

Back to academics......the well known author John Gray received a doctorate from a "diploma mill." He used that with his casual association with Harvard to fool people into thinking that his doctorate was from Harvard. What we learn from this is that the diploma mill was what it was, Harvard is what it is, BUT, John Gray is a deceitful person who, in an attempt to sell more books felt he had to dupe people. I cannot say whether or not anyone associated with UMS has followed in the same footsteps, but from what I know of my friends, fellow correspondents, and others on this site, there is nothing to say anyone is other than a committed student of spirituality, which in and of itself requires and demands honesty and integrity.

If we research older posts, we will find that there was a small brouhaha concerning another school and this one. If memory serves, there was a comparison of course offerings and methods of completion. There was a comparison of how each school presented itself and how it was marketed, including a celebrity endorsement (which should give pause). There were acrimonious comments and steadfast defenders. Oh, for the days of the FireFox, Leo and Mrs. Leo!!!!!! Much will be hard to find as FireFox had his posts removed. But, I came squarely down on the side of UMS as the better of the two. The other was more of a MBA kind of enterprise and not particularly metaphysical at all, and I still maintain that and can prove that.

Is UMS a diploma mill? It does not meet any of the classic characteristics of a diploma mill. You can't pay your money and print your degree out on your LaserJet600C. You can't pay your money and turn in a 10,000 word essay and earn your doctorate. As a matter of fact, it is very trying to earn a degree from UMS. You have to WORK towards the goal and you have to STUDY. How in the world does this make it a diploma mill? For example, I am a fully paid student at UMS and have been for a while. I do not yet have my degree from UMS.....why?.....no work and all play makes Marty a diplomaless boy! UMS is NOT granting degrees for the asking. Exams must be passed, papers must be written and requirements must be fulfilled.

In examining the validity of courses, sure, at UMS, we have many esoteric, exotic courses. But, then again, so did Duke University, when it offered courses in paranormal studies (long story about that, maybe some other time). But, look at the quality of the courses. Let me dare you all----go to any university website and find a course called "World Religions" or something comparable. You are gonna get Islam, Christianity and Judaism with maybe a touch of far eastern belief. Compare that with "World Religions" at UMS. I ask you all, who is educating and illuminating the student? Most universities or UMS?

Finally, a word about origins and roots.....whether it is a Protestant Harvard, a Presbyterian Princeton or a Catholic Catholic University, many and most highly respected educational institutions have their roots in a religious organization and tradition. Ms. Breeeeze founded a 503C church which is perfectly legal AND what a lot of televangelists have done. But, here we start to define a difference. The televangelists go on tv and swindle people out of their hard earned (and sometimes non existent at the moment money-yes, you can put your contribution to God on VISA and MasterCard....but God don't take no American Express). Instead, our Founder set up a University to serve the need for one amidst the worldwide spiritual community. And, she did it with standards of quality and integrity that are sadly, sadly lacking in most of our schools today.

Please, folks, weigh in on this.....it is a very important topic for us, and for those who may be thinking of joining us!

Peace to y'all,
Marty and LuckyLee

Paul Joseph
Posted 9/2/2015 9:04 AM (#26534 - in reply to #26519)

PhD Alumni

Thanks Marty. I am so glad you and Disa responded, as I started to wonder whether I shouldn't have posted, but as you say, this is a really important topic, and I felt that the NAF site needed challenging/responding to.

Of course, I fully agree with and endorse everything you have said also .... very well put and argued...

I would only add that I too am employed in an academic post by a 'recognised' University .... and before choosing UMS had received offers on standard academic doctorate courses. But opted for UMS for the reasons stated: in one phrase summed up as, integrative spirituality I guess ,,,,

All the best
Paul
Supernatural3
Posted 9/3/2015 6:47 PM (#26538 - in reply to #26519)

PhD Alumni

I have personally been attacked about my education... at first it bothered me. Then... i thought. The poor soul is jealous. If they don't have any better time than to seek to belittle what is wonderful... i can only feel sorry for them. Then not waist any more of my precious energy on such negative. Anyone who comes here, knows better.

As an Alumni graduate, don't forget we are BOARD CERTIFIED by the AAMA. (and proud of it) he he
Paul Joseph
Posted 4/30/2016 4:31 PM (#27465 - in reply to #26519)
Subject: RE: New Age Fraud?

PhD Alumni

After much searching (which presumably someone else could have done if they were that concerned for veracity) I located this old thread which in its way was done and dusted at the time to everyone's apparent satisfaction... but I took the time to do so as I think this is the one to which Aquarius might have referred - and somewhat inexplicably - re-referred tonight ... and I did not want to be mis-cited ...

Ophi was correct in recollection, that this is of a different order of things than the other internet link that Aquarius now keeps referring to. It's a bit sad to havae to be doing this on a Saturday night ...

By the way, the answer by unanimous accord at the time to the question above was, No, UMS is not a New Age Fraud ... but the question was asked and properly scrutinised
Disa
Posted 4/30/2016 4:59 PM (#27468 - in reply to #26519)

Alumni

Thank you, Paul for bringing this thread to the forefront, again.

I think it's a good thread for prospective UMS students to read through. We followed our hearts and our intuition when signing up for classes at this school. My heart and intuition did not lead me astray. I did read up on several other Metaphysical schools for quite a few years before I finally took the plunge, so my mind was also paying attention and causing me to weigh options. I have no regrets. This school doesn't tell us what to think, or how to think. It causes us to evaluate ourselves and our limited ways of thinking and to put those thoughts into a new perspective- whatever that means to us as individuals.

People will continue to scrutinize us, and that's okay. We know what we are and we know what we have learned and how we have grown because of this school. Outsiders looking in may never know those things. They may never want to, because the criteria by which they base their opinion is not the same criteria by which we base ours.
Paul Joseph
Posted 4/30/2016 5:02 PM (#27470 - in reply to #27468)

PhD Alumni

Thanks - my thoughts exactly too ... interessting I just had a go at opening that link and it does not seem to work any more ... clearly an ephemeral fly-by-night complaintster with no substance
Disa
Posted 4/30/2016 5:04 PM (#27471 - in reply to #26519)

Alumni

Cool.

Supernatural3
Posted 5/1/2016 1:43 AM (#27477 - in reply to #26519)

PhD Alumni

Due to Facebook, Metaphysics is actually a huge topic, with large amounts of groups. It's growing popular. I point a lot of people to our wonderful Alumni. I'm proud to have gotten through and i don't know how i did it because i was in two schools at one time back then. Time is speeding up on me because i can barely fit in dinner. Lol

we know this is legit. .. maybe not Government controlled is more likely the difference. I'm 100% glad i invested in myself here!

Paul Joseph
Posted 5/1/2016 5:56 AM (#27478 - in reply to #27477)

PhD Alumni

What a good point about the Government control Doc Jillifer .. that thought had never crossed my mind ...

And thanks for the reminder about Beltane Disa - Happy May Dayze to all here
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software