University Of Metaphysical Sciences
University Of Metaphysical Sciences ->  General Public -> Metaphysics Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What Do You Think About Medical Marijuana?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Public -> Metaphysics DiscussionMessage format

Dancing Daisy
Posted 9/29/2006 6:30 AM (#962)
Subject: What Do You Think About Medical Marijuana?

UMS Student

Hey there, I was just on another forum and saw a little discussion about marijuana and its medical uses, what do you guys think about it? I would be interested in your opinions.

I am not a heavy user of marijuana, but I do use it as medicine for what I call "emotional emergencies." I think that's one thing it's good for. For instance, if someone is feeling really angry, and might do something crazy, it makes you simply too lazy to take action! That way an inappropriate action doesn't happen, there are no consequences, and once my head clears I can think more reasonably about whatever is going on. I think marijuana was always meant to be used as medicine, and of course other people use it in their own ways, but the way the medicine has served me is that it makes me stop long enough to cool down and then I can work it out more peacefully after it wears off. I don't think it was meant to be used every day, but still has it's uses as a medicine. What do you think?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Guitar Girl
Posted 10/17/2006 4:45 AM (#1056 - in reply to #962)
Subject: RE: What Do You Think About Medical Marijuana?

Medical marijuana is a big issue in California. Some people swear by it and others say it is bogus. I personally think that to each his own. Afterall, it all comes from the Earth, and all kinds of pharmaceuticals and other such medicines are derived from plant sources. There is nothing that doesn't come from some sort of bio-organic source, be it aspirin, herbal remedies, or more serious drugs that are considered "legal" but would actually be far more harmful than something like marijuana. I of course am not advocating it, since it is not something I'm attracted to myself, but I do think there is a place for it in the world just like there is a place for aspirin, morphine, hayfever medicine (which can also be mind altering!) and other such legal substances. I personally have no judgment toward anyone's choice of medicines if they are needed.
Datura Swirl
Posted 10/25/2006 9:49 PM (#1103 - in reply to #962)

Many believe that marijuana became "illegal" because the government wanted to replace the use of hemp with manmade materials... I haven't done much research on this, but I definitely believe there is merit to it. Hemp is a valuable resource that it seems most people have forgotten about and that is so unfortunate! As a "medical" marijuana user, I have to agree with Dancing Daisy that it is meant to be used as medicine and it really does help me to clear my head when I need it. I have been using it for 10 years and I find that I have my best ideas and creative productivity when I smoke. I know a lot of people who have medical conditions, such as cancer, and have found marijuana to be of great comfort. It is a "plant helper" because it comes from the earth and people have been using it for many, many years. I think everyone needs to lighten up and pay more attention to the positive aspects of it and the ways it can help people. It frustrates me that our culture groups marijuana together with things like cocaine and heroin... Maybe someday we can all agree that it does help people, whether or not we believe in it.
steelie
Posted 10/26/2006 12:44 PM (#1110 - in reply to #1103)

I find it redirects my energy to the other side of the brain, the creative parts that come from the mental inhibitions that are relaxed. Art and music come easier with a little mari stimulation. However, if I get into a pattern of being habitual about it, my sense of mental disipline gives way and it becomes difficult to focuso on things that don't necessarily depned on the free flow of creativity...
Danjummai
Posted 10/29/2006 2:02 PM (#1133 - in reply to #962)

PhD Alumni

I do not know the teaching of all Paths, but in the teaching of the path I was raised there are names of God called 'descriptive-names,' names like The Great, The Merciful, The Compassionate, The Beautiful etc. I want to believe all our Paths have similar names that are meant for clothing and uplifting the mind when meditated upon. Such names are like wine, marijuana and all the pleasurable intoxicants that are creeping into life and into the onerous life of spirituality.These names too if misused could cause fatal mental problems as marijuana and the drugs do. But I think that it is worthier and more natural being mad from the love of God and Chanting His Holy Names than from any induced substance that is only able to temporarily reach the brain to solace. Not in the least in doubt as to the medicinal effect that is being said about Marijuana and spirituality of the changing times.

Peace!
thirtypaws
Posted 10/29/2006 3:40 PM (#1134 - in reply to #962)

UMS Student

I've been a smoker since my early 20's (that's over 35 years folks -- YIKES!) Regardless, I have always found that my ability to both create and to focus if necessary have always been enhanced by it. I used to be a computer programmer, and without exception, those in my field who 'indulge' find that they can lose themselves in, and almost 'become' the logic that's necessary to write code. Hours can pass and you can accomplish incredible amounts of work! (I guess that's a good thing and a bad thing Anyhow, I'm also a fledgling potter and photographer, and my work takes on a whole new flair when inhibitions and doubts are lost, and creativity reigns. And when I get into decorating my house -- look out!!Just my thoughts....
Supernatural3
Posted 11/2/2006 10:05 PM (#1144 - in reply to #962)

PhD Alumni

I don't think it should be illegal at all..... but, since it is and i have kids, i stay away from it. If it's a matter of court fines and negative news publications, i would rather not touch it. The minute it becomes legal.... tell me where i can get some. Love the stuff. LOL
steelie
Posted 11/3/2006 2:11 PM (#1148 - in reply to #1144)

I think legality is one of those things you have to leave the country for...
Aquarius
Posted 11/4/2006 12:50 PM (#1151 - in reply to #962)

UMS Guest

I have never used any drugs, but I do believe most strongly that none of them should be forbidden by law. To my way of thinking it would be far more constructive to help people - as early as possible in their present lifetime - to become aware that spiritually we are responsible for everything, every word, thought and action. We are all responsible towards ourselves, each other, our world and everything that is in it - to God, the Universerse, our Highest Self; call it what you like. 'Call Me by any name and I will be there! Lo, I will be with you in all Eternity and you are responsible towards Me.'

With love and light,

Aquarius

steelie
Posted 11/25/2006 12:39 PM (#1203 - in reply to #1151)

Aquarius your post made me wonder: Do you suppose the pursuit of spituality and the pursuit of a good pot buzz are confused by some with one another? It seems things I've heard about Native Americans wanting to have that blurring because perhaps it puts them on the path.... Sometimes I question my own motivations....
Aquarius
Posted 11/26/2006 9:44 AM (#1204 - in reply to #962)

UMS Guest

Hello Steelie,

It seems to me that some of those who use drugs are trying to find a shortcut into the ecstasy that can only be found in communion with and becoming one again with our Highest Self, God - if you like. Let me assure you, there are not shortcuts. If there were any, we and our world would probably all have chosen that way already. Throughout our many lifetimes that temptation is bound to have been presented to each one of us, at some stage. Beware those whose turn it is in this lifetime, I would say. They do deserve our compassion and our love, for they know not what they are doing to themselves and their spiritual evolution. But then, that in itself may well be their main lesson for this lifetime and who would we be to try and prevent them from learning it?

With love - Aquarius

Laura Phillips
Posted 11/28/2006 8:02 PM (#1208 - in reply to #962)

Sometimes I think the use of "power plants" is appropriate and at other times it is not. Some people can't handle it, and for some people it is useful. For instance, when I was a young 19 year old, I had no idea about anything in life or spirituality or anything that my eyes couldn't see really. I didn't know there was a such thing as "the beyond." However, after my first mushroom journey with a shaman, my whole life changed. I believe that these moments are not shortcuts, but rather they are glimpses of the consciousness we are attempting to achieve, glimpses into our true nature of magic and eternalness that is independent of the human form we are currently inhabiting. That first journey freed my mind in ways nothing else ever could, and I didn't go on to become a drug addict or anyhing like that either!

I agree with Aquarius that it is not a shortcut to enlightenment, for prolonged use will actually damage your physical brain. However I disagree that "medicine" is useless on the spriitual path. It has been used for eons in spiritual contexts by many cultures, and it serves as a glimpse into the not so ordinary realities that are all around us all the time that we ignore. It served as a catalyst for the start of my spiritual path, and from then on, the 15 hallucinogenic journeys I took during my 20s brought much wisdom and freedom into my mind. I learned things during those times that cannot be learned without a little assistance to break down the barriers of the human mind and its limitations. I began to see things more openly and with greater tolerance and acceptance of all that is. I saw people in a way I wouldn't have, seeing their spirit and heart instead of their human form. I began to look deeper into reality than I ever would have before.

For those of us who are not super duper amazing yogis with the power to travel over space and time and transcend all parameters of physical reality, it is only fair that we have a useful tool to see what it is we are attempting to attain in our consicousness. If someone just happens to be lucky enough to be born with and never lose super duper yogi abilities, then he or she certainly needs no assistance from mind altering substances. For those of us who are a little bit more ordinary, perhaps the assistance is a lucky thing! It is sort of like training wheels for the mind, and then eventually the training wheels come off and there you go into super duper skilled yogi land.

At this time, I have had no use for hallucinogenics for decades, they seemed useful in my 20's. However, I got what I was supposed to get from them already and now they only hinder me because I have attained much of what I used to get with the spiritual medicines and can go there naturally. It only took 20 years of meditation and such! I'm glad I didn't have to wait that long to get a glimpse. It was a good thing in my younger years and served as a carrot on the string in front of the horse so that I was inspired to stay on the path!

I think that when people are rigid against spiritual medicines, it is because they are afraid of them and have never tried them or they had a bad expereience their first time and are afraid to try again. It is easy to adopt a rigid stance, but once one sees what gems are there for the taking in one's own being that are so suddenly made available, there is no going back. The creativity that was released by these journeys was incredible.

If your first time is coming up, then be sure your environment is safe and sound, nurturing and beautiful. Also, VERY CAREFULLY pick who you will journey with. If you are journeying with a person who is a lame-o, your journey isn't going to be good! Also, might not try going to the roller coaster amusement park for your first journey. Be wise about your surroundings and your company. This goes for something as mild as marijuana too, not just the hallucinogenics.
Inner Vision
Posted 4/4/2007 3:54 PM (#1612 - in reply to #962)

UMS Student

As an RN I have no agruments against legal and prescriped use of marjiuana. I also have to comment that in my 20 plus years of nursing I have never seen anyone overdose on it, become agressive and combative on it, nor go through withdrawal as with the legal alcohol. I suspect that marjiuana is in wide spread use yet it is not often we hear of one being killed by a marjiuana driver. Anyway, I think you see my point. Have a great day everyone!
cause
Posted 4/4/2007 8:35 PM (#1616 - in reply to #1612)

UMS Student

I think it's great to have a chance to talk to a professional. I would be interested in what medically you think it would be useful for? and if you have seen it used, and if so, for what?
Inner Vision
Posted 4/5/2007 6:00 PM (#1629 - in reply to #962)

UMS Student

Cause, Marijuana has been proven to relieve nausea and vomiting in cancer patients, it is also used for pain, reducing high pressure in the eyes of glaucoma patients, the list goes on and on. More studies are always being done to find other benefits and uses of it on a legal basis. Some good news for glaucoma patients is that research is being done to use the same incrediants in an eye drop form. (ok guys--no you should not blow the smoke in your eyes) lol
Inner Vision
Posted 4/5/2007 6:05 PM (#1630 - in reply to #962)

UMS Student

ingredients* ok everyone it looks like I need to re-check my typing!
Aquarius
Posted 4/13/2007 12:56 PM (#1701 - in reply to #962)

UMS Guest

The way I see it, everything on this Earth is a gift from God - the Universe, if you like. Nothing in itself is inherently good or evil; it is always our intentions behind everything - for example, in this case the use of Marijuana - that decides whether an action is good or evil. Life on Earth is a school and life itself is the teacher. We are all here to learn, each through their own experiences, to differentiate between good and evil. Through encountering evil, we get to know what good is - and vice versa. With love - Aquarius

nate61244
Posted 4/27/2007 5:10 PM (#1766 - in reply to #962)

I believe that THC can be used for medical purposes and that it is a plant that is obviously intended to be used for the effects that it can give a person. Everything has some sort of purpose we should be taking advantage of it not abusing it as the law does now.
mruppert
Posted 5/16/2007 9:32 PM (#1851 - in reply to #962)

Hi all:
Just a caution in this type of discussion....the Internet is public, and email, blogs, postings, MySpace, Facebook, YouTube, yada yada yada are ALL public! Even your opinion about matters such as this can be known by anyone who wants to know, and your posted opinions can be used by those who have a mind to do so for your betterment, or to your detriment.
I know what some might say, but NO, NO, NO.....email is not private! Just ask a few certain people in Congress, and they will agree! Man, did they get a rude awakening.
Regards,
Marty
jmalzone
Posted 6/3/2007 8:32 AM (#1937 - in reply to #962)

I agree with Aquarius. People try to use drugs for shortcuts to their Higher Self and/or a connection to the Otherworld. I'm pretty heavy into Druidism and one of the books I was reading called Exploring Celtic Druidism stated that help with Merging can come by psychoactive drugs and alcohol. I have not picked up that book since and I am pissed that I even bought it. The fact that the author suggested you be wasted or baked to experience Merging or Oneness with Nature is absolutely ridiculous. You must be in a clear state of mind to find your connection with Nature, any mind altering substances gives you false positives. If you cannot experience these connections without alcohol or drugs maybe you just need more practice Merging.

Again, very disappointed by this statement.

Edited by jmalzone 6/3/2007 8:33 AM
cause
Posted 6/3/2007 4:40 PM (#1943 - in reply to #962)

UMS Student

People have used alcohol and drugs like marijuana for many generations, and interestingly they can be used as to fill the same function as spirituality, and they can make one susceptible to suggestion. Unfortunately they in many cases take the place of true spirituality in a persons life, and the substances are not a replacement, so we get addiction and disconnection with our world. I am sure that you would agree that drugs can work wonders in the hands of doctors, and many doctors believe in unconventional treatments.

To redirect; the use of drugs and alcohol is not a replacement for or an enhancement of true spirituality. My question however is, why do you feel this thread about drugs is in a forum for metaphysics?

thoughts?

Edited by cause 6/3/2007 5:04 PM
NothingEverything
Posted 6/4/2007 2:27 AM (#1946 - in reply to #962)

UMS Student

I dont think marijuana needs to have a "medical" application at all.
Its a great recreational drug, and before i was in the military I used marijuana constantly.
I also experimented with mushrooms and other phychodelic drugs and strongly believe
that great potential lies in those substances for expanding the mind and spirituality.
Of course not all people are affected the same on these drugs and they should be taken with great
caution and supervison from someone of experience, as it deals with altering your mind.
But if one has a strong will, and a strong mind, then I believe that these drugs can very beneficial.
Before the military, and after I'm sure, I didnt recognize "Man's" laws.
Only the laws my conscience set forth for me.
I figured, if I wasnt consulted in the creation on these laws, then I shouldnt be expected to follow them.
Not if i am already goverend by my heart.
thirtypaws
Posted 6/4/2007 8:25 AM (#1947 - in reply to #1943)

UMS Student

Substances that alter the mind I think do belong in a thread about metaphysics, since our minds are so tightly connected to the physical and what we see & touch that a little 'jump start' to get to a point where the the non-physical aspects of the universe are is fun.  Not necessarily a replacement or enhancement, but enjoyable. 

As a side note, my son (age 23 & the joy of my life) has Down Syndrome, and is quite often in 'Matty's world' as we call it.   I find that I connect pyschically with him and his world much easier and at a whole different level when I'm high.  His mind isn't cluttered with all the junk that we clutter ours with, and when I've lost a few inhibitions and uncluttered my self, the connection is truly there.

Namaste

Supernatural3
Posted 6/4/2007 9:42 AM (#1948 - in reply to #962)

PhD Alumni

I also agree that it very much has natural healing properties and is an herb, and should fall under the catagory of Metaphysics and even more since it has psycho hallucinate side effects that tribes used widely for spiritual growth as well as visions they used as predictions. It's only in the last 50 years, has it all of a sudden been given a bad name and made illegal. There is not a single reported death from an overdose off marijuana.

In some places like Amsterdam, they have public bars for smoking and socializing, which they do not have problems with it. I do not feel this should be illegal anywhere. It all basically comes down to money. The government wants their cut.... MONEY is the bottom line.

If it were legal, i would smoke it occasionally. As with anything and everything, moderation is the key.

mruppert
Posted 6/4/2007 8:18 PM (#1967 - in reply to #962)

Hi all:
Yours, mine and "our" feelings about the nature, expansiveness, and exclusiveness of the study of metaphysics cannot ignore historical fact. Fermented plants and hallucinatory substances have played major roles in the spiritual life of many cultures and civilizations. In some cases, it is not for reasons that one might think. For instance, in, say the year 1000, in England's more populated areas, people were quite intoxicated most of the time, as they drank "beer" and "wine" to the exclusion of water, as the nearest water was used for a great many things other than drinking. Some of which are disgusting, so they will be left unsaid.
Even in areas where there are religious proscriptions concerning these things (such as Islamic countries) , some great araq, raki and razoukie are produced, consumed and even exported. A former French colony, and a predominately Islamic country grows hashish said to be quite exquisite. Shisha gathering places are common. A Sharia ruled country has, as it's chief export crop, poppies and its derivatives. And I think we all know what can be derived from that plant.
The question is what and how much do these things play in "spirituality." I have always found that the influence is greater rather than lesser.
For example, in a country of (so called) mystical significance, Nepal, there is a fermented beverage that is coincidentally a routine drink, part and parcel to meditation.
I think we really have to try to understand this a little bit better, rather than drawing lines of demarcation into the nature of spirituality.
Regards to all,
Marty
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2016 PD9 Software