University Of Metaphysical Sciences
University Of Metaphysical Sciences ->  General Public -> Metaphysics Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Global Warming? Inconvenient Truth movie
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Public -> Metaphysics DiscussionMessage format

Christine Breese
Posted 8/15/2006 7:39 AM (#775)
Subject: Global Warming? Inconvenient Truth movie

UMS

Has anyone seen the wonderful Al Gore movie Inconvenient Truth? If you have ever wondered what global warming is all about and the scientific facts, it's a great movie to see. You just can't argue with scientific facts. Global warming concerns me, and summers are getting hotter than they've ever been. I don't remember things being this hot when I was a kid, do you? So what are your thoughts on the subject?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tracy
Posted 8/15/2006 1:15 PM (#776 - in reply to #775)
Subject: RE: Global Warming?

Student

It seems to me that every year, in every part of the world, I hear stories from people who say that their weather is different than usual. Winters are colder. Springs are wetter. Summers are hotter. Storms are stronger. I still haven't seen "An Inconvenient Truth" and people tell me that in spite of Al Gore's optimism, the world weather situation is very disturbing. There is much suffering among people, animals, and the environment. I am blessed to enjoy such good weather and beauty all around.

2cents Tracy
ormus
Posted 8/24/2006 12:53 PM (#804 - in reply to #775)
Subject: RE: Global Warming? Inconvenient Truth movie

UMS Student

I had already believed in global warming before I saw the movie but it really drove it home for me when I saw the pictures of the glaciers melting and evidence of huge anarctic ice blocks falling into the ocean and melting. This is certainly a powerful time to be alive and witness these global changes. As crazy as things are I do have great hope that we can turn things around. One reason I have hope is that if humans really did create this situation then surely we have the brains to undo it. We have many technologies ready to be implemented to reduce carbon dioxide emissions we just have to implement them!

Another factor in this whole global warming issue that I would like to share with everyone is something you may never have heard or thought about. I have been doing a lot of research into this lately and here is what I have found out. A major contributor to global warming is humans and their relationship with animals, in particular cows. This may sound strange but please ponder these present circumstances. Huge rainforests and other forests all over the world are currently being burned to make room for cattle grazing. Our precious trees absorb carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and then they emit oxygen. When we burn the trees all the stored up carbon dioxide that they have absorbed is instantly released back into the atmosphere. As more and more trees are cut down or burned there is less carbon dioxide being absorbed and less oxygen being produced.

Another factor is cow farts, yes cow farts, unfortunetely this is note a joke. Cows release large quantites of methane gas, which is another ingredient that contributes to global warming. The world is absoluetely full of cows! I love cows but it is obvious to me that we are expoliting them and this realtionship has really back fired (literally) on the whole planet.

As if this isn't bad enough I really feel that we should consider if eating meat or dairy (yes eating dairy contributes to all of this the same way meat does) is worth it. For one thing cows go through tremedous suffering to produce food for many people, and then on top of that the whole earth is suffering as well. Please, I do not mean to make anyone feel bad about the choices they make, however I do feel obligated to share what I have found out because hardly anyone seems to be saying it. I do not claim to be more right than anyone I just want to share and help people think about the present situation from many angles. Thank you for letting me share with all of you.

Much love to all.
mruppert
Posted 8/26/2006 12:12 AM (#826 - in reply to #775)

Ah well.....unfortunately if you believe that it has NOT happened, then you won't worry until it smacks you in the face, one way or another. On the other hand, if you truly believe that the "global warming" is not a cyclical weather pattern, but is, indeed a man-made causal-effect process, then you also must come to terms with the fact that it is, now, too late! We can only sublimate the effects of what we did, but not reverse them.
Should we be able to time travel back to, say, 1100 or 1000, do you not think that we would have a great degree of difficulty in even breathing the air? Afterall, it would have been very oxygen rich. And, as we approached the age of industrialization, do you not see why in early industrial society, so many people suffered from "the vapors" or "mal arie". And I have rambled on enough....just remember, we may not necessarily all be warm....some may be very cold.
Wisdom to you and Peace!
thirtypaws
Posted 8/29/2006 5:54 PM (#846 - in reply to #775)

UMS Student

OK...   here's my theory, and my husband's the only one I've told.  Coincidentally (HAH) I have recently come across a number of sources that have pointed me in this direction...

1. I recently read Gore's book, or more correctly - looked at all of the pictures and the graphs. No question we can't fix this, and the planet will have to correct what we've done, not only with the onset of the Industrial Age, or by forgetting to give the cows Beano, but with the anger, hatred & judgement humanity spews into the Universe.  The caps are melting, and my bet is that the poles will shift, even if ever so slightly. 

2. I took a workshop from Barbara Hand Clow that focused on the Mayans, their predictions and their calendar, and the work that Carl Calleman has done in many fields.  I certainly don't understand the whole system that has been developed, but the bottom line is this: In 2008, we are moving into the equivalent of the dark ages, and as happened then, we will have a tremendous loss of information.  Keep in mind also that the Mayan calendar ends in 2012.  That's 2012 years after Jesus' birth. 

3. I have always had a great interest in the Gnostic texts that were found about 30 years ago, as I believe many do. This will, (already has?) have a tremendous and long lasting impact on Christianity and the rest of the world's religions, I would imagine.  And most likely, in the not too distant future.

4. Anybody see "What the Bleep - Down the Rabbit Hole"?  Absolutely awesome movie.  In a nutshell, science has proven that we are all one.  At the quantum level - the rules are different, Relativity doesn't hold, and all we are is energy -- limitless & eternal! (I added the limitless & eternal part ) Scientists from all over the planet are saying that it's time for a new spiritual paradigm. In other words, consciousness is real, and it effects stuff.

OK, so here 'tis. 

1. Big flood in 2008 (wasn't there one of those before?
2. Pole shift: probably not a 24 hour day, or a 28 day lunar cycle anymore
3. No power: no Internet (not good in today's totally dependent infrastructure)
4. Collapse of global economy & Christiantiy by 2012.  No longer basing our calendar on Jesus' birth.
5. Global consciousness is recognized & utilized by the enlightened (OK, strong term... how about the wise ;-) )
6. We start our calendar at 1... perfect number I think

Sorry for the ramble... that's been inside of me for some time, and to tell you the truth, most of the folks I know would have me committed if I told them this.  But I know you guys understand... right?  And I gotta tell you what, I'm going to learn how to grow what I eat, make sure I can heat my house, and I may just buy myself a cow!

Namaste

IAMMiracles
Posted 9/14/2006 9:42 PM (#886 - in reply to #775)
Subject: RE: Global Warming?

I just wanted to add in some circles, there is an idea or Decree noted that the Earth has the possibility to shift on its axis -- thus, the Earth would again return to a state where basically the entire globe would be semi-tropical and balanced as far as living conditions. There would be Balance replacing the extremes. This is the return to this final, 7th Golden Age, and the Paradise or Garden of Wisdom, if you will. : )
thirtypaws
Posted 9/15/2006 11:14 AM (#890 - in reply to #775)

UMS Student

OK, this newbie is asking for a little more info on these 'circles', cuz I need to learn more, please

Rose
Posted 3/26/2008 11:10 AM (#4048 - in reply to #846)

Student

Janet! I love what you wrote here. Fabulously put! Straight forward with a wonderful twist of humor. Made me think and smile.

Thanks for sharing this.
Supernatural3
Posted 3/26/2008 12:45 PM (#4050 - in reply to #775)

PhD Alumni

I personally have to think more on the lines of what Janet wrote myself too. I think it's more on the lines of new beginning. To be honest, it's been needed for a long time.

I think Al Gore's movie was very inaccurate too. Those data charts are incorrect, because we are currently experiencing a cold wave, not global warming. I also feel Earth can take care of herself.... She has the power to wipe out in a heart beat what is destroying her, so if she wants, she will. Doesn't mean WE end.... it just means we may have to land on another planet next life around.

Now, What the Bleep do We know.... I agree. FANTASTIC movie. Makes ya think in ways that eases all. All I know is, we have been strapped to this heaven and hell theory, and praising one human over all in most cases, which is a shame, because we ALL are just as important and anyone else.

I for one, am not worried in the least. If Earth does not make it.... i will see you all on a different rock. Most likely giggling there too.

Enjoy what you can, live life well, be happy.
HUGS

aceraven
Posted 3/26/2008 2:50 PM (#4054 - in reply to #775)

Just remember how things are done here. Create problem to install fear, offer solution for problem, then you keep coming back for more as they make huge profit. Kinda works in our modern medical field. When doctor says "I would like to put threw some test to check for bla bla". You say, "I don't have Insurance". Doc says, "your ok, but go check with blue shield to see if you qualify, see you next year". How can you tell if they want to help you, trust your inner feelings & don't think on it,feel it....Well I do say, This forum is like Fine Wine, it's just keeps gettin better.......well aceraven "peace out" Love is the key....
mruppert
Posted 3/26/2008 10:49 PM (#4061 - in reply to #775)

Hi all:
     I love when cats write stuff....they are really smart!
     I agree with Paws in many respects, and I agree with Doc about the way former VP Gore presented his arguments.
     The thing to remember is that what we call "global warming" is not just that it is getting a little warmer....but that this occurence affects the weather patterns that are going on right now. Sooo....as the Earth warms, you are going to have a lot of people getting cold....and many of them will have not been as cold as they are now. Didn't the Midwest just get hammered by unusual snow storms?
     Two..or three years back, the University of Maryland, College Park got hit by a tornado! It killed two sisters, who were commuting students. Their car got lifted and crashed into a dormitory building. We have not had a tornado in any history that I know of. Maryland is not known for tornados!!
     I think Paws makes some good observations, though I tend to discount the Mayan calendar....see previous posts in another forum.
     Oil will run out, and if we don't figure out what to do about that, we WILL experience another dark age.
      Doc, I think that the Earth can and will fix itself, but only if homo-sapiens disappeared. There was a pretty good article in NatGeo about this. Now Doc, in your post you mentioned (at least I think it was you ) that we go to another planet....let's have a little speculative science and a little fun...don't you think that is what all ready happened? I think we did, indeed, come from another planet, and we still haven't learned....so, now, we gotta go again!  What made that primordial ooze spawn all the splendor that existed (and still exists today, but with diminishing numbers). How did some ancient civilizations make such great technological leaps? WHY did ancient civilizations draw and write about extraterrestrial beings...why did the gods live in the sky??????
     Sure, I am having a bit of fun; but the cover story of Sci-Am(April 2008) is "The Shocking Colors of Alien Plants". If we don't honestly believe that any of this was our heritage, why do we pay so much attention to trying to decipher it?

Peace and Globally Warm Love,
Marty and Twelve Paws, Luck, Popp and Siss
Supernatural3
Posted 3/26/2008 11:10 PM (#4063 - in reply to #775)

PhD Alumni

Marty wrote:
Doc, I think that the Earth can and will fix itself, but only if homo-sapiens disappeared. There was a pretty good article in NatGeo about this. Now Doc, in your post you mentioned (at least I think it was you ) that we go to another planet....let's have a little speculative science and a little fun...don't you think that is what all ready happened? I think we did, indeed, come from another planet, and we still haven't learned....so, now, we gotta go again! What made that primordial ooze spawn all the splendor that existed (and still exists today, but with diminishing numbers). How did some ancient civilizations make such great technological leaps? WHY did ancient civilizations draw and write about extraterrestrial beings...why did the gods live in the sky??????

Good question. I will have to meditate or try a past life regression to see if I existed during those times to come up with an answer.
Maybe they prayed that a Pterodactyl didn't swipe em up and eat em? Called the large dino-bird a God??? who knows. Maybe they saw Alians.... after all, many see them now. (i just haven't).... I have wanted to, but NOOOooooo, they won't come to me. I must scare them. ha ha ha

We also do not know how many earths there are universally. Maybe Billions.... Trillions. So if Earth only lasts a couple billion years, then we go to a different place, i don't see it to be a big deal at all, nor do I worry about it. EARTH -It's only vacation land to me. Our real home is only mental..... built out of thought. I guess then we just live with out becoming human for a while.

I also agree that we were somewhere else prior, Vacationed on other planets... heck, maybe others are there now. Many other earths indeed.... Beam me up Scotty. WAIT..... not now.... later.
aceraven
Posted 3/27/2008 4:00 PM (#4071 - in reply to #775)

remember that you live in a realm of all possiblitys. Anything that you can believe in this realm can be achieved, anything. Thats why its important to learn to think for yourself & develope that inner feeling. Take it all in and ponder.....aceraven
aremac6
Posted 3/29/2008 6:19 PM (#4125 - in reply to #775)

New user

Christine Breese - 2006-08-15 6:39 AM

Has anyone seen the wonderful Al Gore movie Inconvenient Truth? If you have ever wondered what global warming is all about and the scientific facts, it's a great movie to see. You just can't argue with scientific facts. Global warming concerns me, and summers are getting hotter than they've ever been. I don't remember things being this hot when I was a kid, do you? So what are your thoughts on the subject?

We all know that we can cook food using a microwave but as mobile phones,satellite communications,etc. also use microwaves can it be possible that we are "cooking" the earth and causing a rise in the mean air temperature? I am no physicist,just a simpleton but does anyone have an opinion?
Tracy Martin
Posted 3/29/2008 9:56 PM (#4131 - in reply to #775)

Alumni

It must be probable that microwaves are having an environmental impact. There have been studies about the close range impact of microwaves, and the chemical changes in food due to microwaves, but I haven't heard of any study on the larger picture that you are suggesting. Everything we do has an impact, radio waves, cell waves, radiation. 
mruppert
Posted 3/30/2008 3:18 AM (#4138 - in reply to #775)

Hi all:
     Since my field of expertise is Telecommunications, I have been involved in one of the few academic study groups (not industry sponsored) concerning cellphones and other mobile communications devices. Mobile communications uses microwave technology.
     Microwaves "cook" food!
     We stick a microwave device up close and personal to our heads. Motorola, LG, Erikson, RIM, Samsung, etc. etc. all tell you that there is nothing to worry about. The exposure levels are too small.
      The Norwegian and Swedish scientists say that there may well be something to worry about...we just don't have enough time vs. data to confirm this.
       But, we do have anecdotal evidence....will it prove itself out? Unknown for now!
       The companies that sold asbestos as the most efficient insulator were telling you no lie at the time. It is what they didn't tell you that hurt.

Peace Profound,
Marty and Insulated Cats
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2016 PD9 Software