University Of Metaphysical Sciences
University Of Metaphysical Sciences ->  General Public -> Metaphysics Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Food For Thought
[Frozen]

Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... >
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Frozen    General Public -> Metaphysics DiscussionMessage format

mruppert
Posted 2/28/2013 7:47 PM (#23805 - in reply to #23803)
Subject: RE: The Quest For God's Eternal Wisdom And Truth

Expert

‘Do not believe anything simply because you have heard it, or because it is spoken and rumoured by many, or because it is found written in religious books, or because it emanates from your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations." The legend of the Buddha, ca. 563 – 483 BCE. <>

If the above were only true............

Believe anything and everything you see on the Internet, because it must be true because it is on the Internet. Believe all testimonials, because the good, service, technology, therapy or material really really really works....that's why all the glowing reviews are stated for you to see! And, believe and agree with anything on social media, since everyone else believes and agrees so it must be right.....that is until they change their minds, then believe and agree with the change!

Now, this is a true story, but cannot be verified since there was no practical way to do so. It involves one of my relatives. During one of the intense periods of immigration to the United States, one of my relations was in a rather heated discussion with a French person. This was during the 20's when the USA was in the throes of censorship and prohibition; and Paris was enjoying one of its most liberal periods. Obviously, the American relation was drinking heavily, since that was the point of Prohibition. There was a popular musical  being performed during that time. A "hit" tune from that musical was the 1927 song "50 Million Frenchmen Can't Be Wrong".

The story goes that my relative was being lectured as to why she should eat snails and the Frenchman summed up his argument by quoting said song title, "50 Million Frenchmen Can't Be Wrong". To which my relative replied, "then you should also go and eat s$%t, since fifty million flies can't be wrong either!"

Not a gem of wisdom for your website Ackwah.....but a diamond in the rough of wisdom just the same.

And, I hope no one is offended by this, if so, you have my sincere apologies, even though this doesn't even come close to the gross, vile, foul, malicious, and pointless vulgarity that passes for our everyday entertainments.

Peace guys and gals from the Cat Lovin' Dude with swinging cat girls........

Marty, Lucky and Poppyhead

P.S. Also being an "Ivory Tower" denizen; Paul-your point from the academic view is well stated.

Edited by mruppert 2/28/2013 7:53 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Aquarius
Posted 3/3/2013 6:31 AM (#23808 - in reply to #23805)
Subject: RE: The Quest For God's Eternal Wisdom And Truth

UMS Guest

Dear Marty - what the Buddha legend told us such a long time ago,  is as valid and true as it was when it came into being. That's just the point I was trying to make.

White Eagle has the following to say on the theme of truth: ‘Truth is like a shining jewel that has many facets. Souls who have uncovered truth within themselves do not say: ‘I have the only truth’ but ‘I see the truth through my facet, but it has many facets along which its rays travel. What is true to me may not be  true for my siblings.’. That’s why we need to walk our path of service with tolerance, ready to observe and appreciate the truth that shines through every soul’s facet. At the core of truth lies the discovery that its central pivot is love, tolerance and an understanding that other people have their own truth as much as we have ours. Let the recognition of this be the keynotes of your service on the earthly plane.’

From ‘The Quest For God’s Eternal Wisdom And Truth’

Edited by Aquarius 3/3/2013 6:31 AM
Aquarius
Posted 3/4/2013 6:47 AM (#23809 - in reply to #23808)
Subject: Eternilty Is Today

UMS Guest

Eternity Is Today
Every new day is a source of mystery
In which the past, present and future are one.
It is like a river in which each drop of water
Is linked to its tiny spring on a distant mountain slope,
As well as one of our world’s far away blue oceans.

In just the same way this today of ours is part of Eternity,
Every precious moment of every day that’s where we dwell.
Eternity is not something to be waited for until leaving the physical plane.
Knowing this demands that we live in a manner that is worthy of it,
So when reaching the other side we can look back on ourselves with gladness.

Emptying our hearts and souls of the concerns
Of our lower nature, like vengefulness, hatred and greed,
Raises our consciousness into the desires of our Highest Self.
Our whole being fills with kindness, compassion and love for all life.
Now, at long last we are worthy of Eternity.

Ku Sang 1984
Edited by Aquarius

Recommended Reading:
‘About Time’

Edited by Aquarius 3/4/2013 6:48 AM
Aquarius
Posted 3/26/2013 7:32 AM (#23850 - in reply to #23809)
Subject: Being Loved

UMS Guest

‘Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.’

Lao Tzu

Edited by Aquarius 3/26/2013 7:33 AM
Paul Joseph
Posted 3/28/2013 4:19 PM (#23855 - in reply to #23850)
Subject: RE: Being Loved

PhD Alumni

Hi Marty

That was on an old Athena poster, but it was something about 50 bn flies and a fat man

Dear Aquarius

I cannot recall that section of the Tao - I will have a search

Best all

PJ
Aquarius
Posted 4/17/2013 6:42 AM (#23903 - in reply to #23855)
Subject: The Quitter

UMS Guest

It’s the plugging away that will win you the day,
So don’t be a piker, old pard!
Just draw on your grit, it’s so easy to quit.
It’s the keeping-your chin-up that’s hard.

It’s easy to cry that you’re beaten – and die;
It’s easy to crawfish and crawl;
But to fight and to fight when hope’s out of sight –
Why that’s the best game of them all!

And though you come out of each gruelling bout,
All broken and battered and scarred,
Just have one more try – it’s dead easy to die,
It’s the keeping-on-living that’s hard.

From ‘The Quitter’ by Robert W. Service
‘Rhymes of a Rolling Stone’

From ‘Waking Up From The Dark Night Of The Soul’

Edited by Aquarius 4/18/2013 6:28 AM
Paul Joseph
Posted 4/17/2013 7:29 AM (#23904 - in reply to #23903)
Subject: RE: The Quitter

PhD Alumni

Very true Aquarius!
Paul Joseph
Posted 4/17/2013 2:11 PM (#23905 - in reply to #23904)

PhD Alumni

Though on reflection, in instances of severe depression or certain chronic physical illnesses, this can be quite a harsh judgment
Aquarius
Posted 4/18/2013 6:29 AM (#23908 - in reply to #23905)

UMS Guest

But it's true nonetheless, don't you think?
Aquarius
Posted 4/28/2013 6:29 AM (#23916 - in reply to #23908)
Subject: The Significance of Words

UMS Guest

‘Kindness in words creates confidence. In thinking it creates profoundness and in giving it creates love.’ Lao Tzu

‘Words have the power to destroy and heal, and words that are true and kind can make our world a better place.’ The Buddha

Aquarius
Posted 4/28/2013 6:51 AM (#23917 - in reply to #23916)
Subject: Taking Charge Of Our Tongues - Part 1

UMS Guest

Taking Charge Of Our Tongues - Part 1

On our pathway through life learning to watch the words we speak and thereby taking charge of our tongues is as vital an issue as any other. That is undoubtedly the reason why as early as the Bible’s Old Testament warned in Proverbs 18:21: ‘Death and life are in the power of the tongue; and those who love it shall eat the fruits thereof.’ In ‘Spiritual Unfoldment 2’ White Eagle adds to this: ‘Keep control of your tongue, so that it says no unkind and hurtful thing. Bear in mind the feelings of those to whom you speak and do so gently and thoughtfully, without anger and haste. When you do this, my dear children of the Earth, difficulties fall away, sorrow recedes into the background and you cannot help but become aware of the gentle presence of the Master within you.

‘We ask you to render a service to yourself and that is holding your tongue. It is one of the hardest tasks that can be asked of you. You ought to see the mists that surround you and your world that is caused by idle chatter. When there is so much of it on the Earth, even the Angels can to nothing but bow their heads, because in that case they are unable to minister to you. Whenever you are tempted to say: ‘I think or believe so and so. I like this person, but I don’t like that one,’ instead of speaking, be silent and wait and see. If you can also restrain yourself from expressing any foolish opinions about the affairs and the state of your world you will greatly assist the Angels in their work.’

Edited by Aquarius 4/29/2013 6:46 AM
Aquarius
Posted 4/28/2013 7:04 AM (#23918 - in reply to #23917)
Subject: Compassion

UMS Guest

‘If you want others to be happy, practise compassion. If you want to be happy, practise compassion.’ The Dalai Lama

Edited by Aquarius 4/28/2013 7:05 AM
Aquarius
Posted 4/29/2013 6:44 AM (#23920 - in reply to #23918)
Subject: Taking Charge Of Our Tongues - Part 2

UMS Guest

Taking Charge Of Our Tongues - Part 2

In ancient Greece the philosopher Socrates, 469 - 399 BC,  famous for his great wisdom, was only too aware of what kind of damage careless gossip can cause. One day he came upon an acquaintance who ran up to him excitedly and said: ‘Socrates, do you know what I just heard about one of your students?’

‘Wait a moment,’ Socrates replied. ‘Before you tell me I’d like you to pass a little test. It’s called the Triple Filter Test.’

‘Triple filter? What does it mean?’

‘Before you talk to me about my student let’s take a moment to run what you’re going to say through some filters. The first one is Truth. Are you sure that what you are about to tell me is true?’

‘No, I just heard about it.’

‘All right,’ replied Socrates. ‘As you don’t really know whether what you have to say is true or not, let’s try the second filter, the one of goodness. Is what you are about to tell me about my student something good?’

‘No, quite the opposite!’

‘Ah! So you want to tell me something bad about someone, even though you’re not certain it’s true?’

The man shrugged, a little embarrassed.

Socrates continued: ‘Well, if what you have to say is meant to be of some use to me, you may still pass the test, because the third filter is the test of Usefulness. Is what you want to tell me about my student going to be useful to me?’

‘No, not really!’ came the reply.

‘If what you want to tell me is neither true nor good and not even useful, why tell it to me at all?’ asked the sage.

Deeply ashamed of himself, the man walked away.

This is but one example of the wisdom for which Socrates was held in such high esteem by his contemporaries. His message is as poignant and valid for us as it was in his time.

Edited by Aquarius 4/29/2013 6:45 AM
Aquarius
Posted 5/19/2013 6:23 AM (#23946 - in reply to #23920)
Subject: Conquering our lower nature

UMS Guest

‘Conquering our lower nature is better than winning a thousand battles. That victory is ours to keep in all Eternity and can never be taken from us, neither by Angels nor demons, Heaven or Hell.’ The Buddha
mruppert
Posted 5/20/2013 9:20 PM (#23951 - in reply to #23562)
Subject: Re: Food For Thought

Expert

I know a lot about how people care..............the city of New Orleans was devastated by a flood........and no one helped them.......cos they were black, Cajun and/or Creole,,,,,Iberville is hard on all dat live there.
The prez demeaned a man in front of the nation......called him Browney......and that man did not have the guts to answer back This is why our nation is not as great as it was......because we kowtow to interests which the people do not share, just the corporate interest and we go as willingly as lambs to the slaughter..........Browney......you killed thousands of people.....Georgie Bush.......you LET them die, cos a lot of them were black and Democrats.......

Ah well......the board may well liven up.....and it is because of,

Yours truly,
Luckylee and Poppyhead

Mein Gott......what have these cats done...........enough.......Peace to ALL!!!!
Aquarius
Posted 6/3/2013 3:33 PM (#23994 - in reply to #23562)

UMS Guest

Dear Marty - try not to make George Bush's problems or Karma yours and refuse to carry his burdens. They're not yours to carry. Forgive him, for he does not know what is doing. He will do, in due course.

With love - Aquarius

Ophiucus
Posted 6/5/2013 5:07 PM (#24001 - in reply to #23562)

Forum Administrator

As Administrator, I can delete if you wish - just let me know what you would like removed

Whilst we are on the topic of removals, I have been monitoring the Board lately as there have been some strange and I have to say unwelcome postings from one or new members, in each case more resembling spam than metaphysical discussion.

Please take note everyone who comes onto the Board, all are welcome, but we - UMS - do moderate posts, and it just causes unnecessary hassle and energy misuse to use the Discussion Forum inappropriately: because such material will simply be deleted

Blessed Be, All

Ophiucus
mruppert
Posted 6/5/2013 7:41 PM (#24003 - in reply to #23994)

Expert

OH MY....I have not been attentive to my posts nor replies! Thank you Aaackwah.....as we say in the macho USA "you got my back" whatever that is supposed to mean. I think I deleted the dup and will try to check to be sure all is well.

As for George, his karma is the karma we inherited and live under as no new karma is likely to take hold. Prez Oblame-ah is not a charismatic figure. He is a very intelligent man and explains things in an intelligent way....but that is NOT what the folks of today want.

I am interested....I get a sense of deja-vu from the Weimar republic.....and I hear the words "there's something happening here...what it is ain't exactly clear....I think and feel we are closing our eyes to an oncoming evil. Just a feeling!

Always yours Aqqq,

Martin, Luckylee, Poppyhead

(Vincent was my papa's name and my middle name)

Aquarius
Posted 6/6/2013 6:27 AM (#24006 - in reply to #24003)

UMS Guest

‘To be nobody but yourself in a world that’s doing its best to make you somebody else, is to fight the hardest battle you are ever going to fight. Never stop fighting.’ E.E. Cummings

‘Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no-one’s definition of your life. Define yourself.’ Robert Frost

Aquarius
Posted 6/6/2013 6:29 AM (#24007 - in reply to #24001)

UMS Guest

Ophiucus - 6/5/2013 10:07 PM As Administrator, I can delete if you wish - just let me know what you would like removed Whilst we are on the topic of removals, I have been monitoring the Board lately as there have been some strange and I have to say unwelcome postings from one or new members, in each case more resembling spam than metaphysical discussion. Please take note everyone who comes onto the Board, all are welcome, but we - UMS - do moderate posts, and it just causes unnecessary hassle and energy misuse to use the Discussion Forum inappropriately: because such material will simply be deleted Blessed Be, All Ophiucus

Thank you, dear Ophiucus. It's good to know that you are there, watching over all of us. I noticed several very strange looking new postings yesterday, when I briefly called. 

God bless, take care and keep the good work up.

With love - Aquarius

Aquarius
Posted 6/6/2013 6:38 AM (#24008 - in reply to #24003)

UMS Guest

Dear Marty – everything that happens in our world, individually and collectively, is the result of Karma all of us created. Nothing happens perchance. It can't be any other way. There will still be many contortions we and our world will have to endure, but I am sure that everything will come out well in the end. All we can do is trust that all of us are guided and protected by the highest forces in the whole of Creation. How else could it be? After all, we didn’t bring ourselves into being.

The human race in its arrogance thinks of itself as ever so clever, but are we really? If we were, wouldn’t we behave ourselves better, be more kind and loving to each other, instead of trying to wipe each other out, whenever an opportunity for doing so arises?

With love to you and the girls and your papa in the world of light,
Aquarius

Aquarius
Posted 6/8/2013 6:20 AM (#24012 - in reply to #23562)
Subject: You Are Special

UMS Guest

Are you aware that each one of us in their own way is a special and unique being? Just imagine in the entire history of the whole of Creation there has never been and never will be another being quite like you and me! Our eyes, hands, hair, handwriting, smile, voice and mind are unique to us. No-one walks, talks, thinks, acts or even meditates exactly the way we do. Nobody can paint our brush strokes or has exactly the same taste as we have for food, music, dance and other artistic endeavours. Nobody can perceive things quite the way we do; and no-one can feel our feelings. There has never been someone who laughs exactly the way we do, and what makes us laugh or cry, can have quite a different effect on someone else.

We are all different from everybody else who ever walked the Earth, and we are all specially gifted in some way. Even if others pursue the same creative activities as we do, everybody has their own special and unique way of expressing themselves. In the course of our evolution as individuals and through many lifetimes, we all have developed our own set of abilities. There always will be someone who is better than we are, at one thing or another; and everyone is likely to be our superior at least in one way. But do not overlook that this is valid for each one of us.

Every human soul has been provided by our Creator with a different set of gifts and talents. They have taken many lifetimes to develop and it is important to be grateful for them, to take good care of them and further develop them, to the best of our ability. The whole range of that which has been bestowed upon us produces a vibration and a sound that is uniquely our own. The entire human race is like a room that is filled with billions of musical instruments. Listening to the symphony they are producing together, it may seem to us as if some of the instruments in some way sounded better than ours. Don’t be disturbed by this, because it’s due to the fact that every instruments is a unique creation, to ensure that no-one matches exactly anyone else’s sound. No matter how hard they may try, it’s impossible!

Edited by Aquarius 6/8/2013 6:21 AM
Aquarius
Posted 6/20/2013 7:10 AM (#24039 - in reply to #24012)
Subject: Love - The Greatest Healer Of All

UMS Guest

Love is the law and the nature of the Universe. It is humankind’s true nature too. It is a force that is stronger than the best quality steel could ever be. Steel belongs to the Earth plane, but love is of the highest levels of life, known to us as God. Steel  has to decay like all earthly things. It rusts and deteriorates and its molecular components are eventually returned to the Earth, the same as anything else that consists of matter. Love, however, is of God and therefore eternal and immortal. It has the power to survive and conquer all obstacles that may ever get in our way. If two people are tied together by difficult Karma, once they have dealt with it by resolving the outstanding issues between them, they are ready to form a loving relationship that will last forever. This does away with the need for grappling any of our friends to our souls with hoops of steel, the way an old saying advises us to do.

Aquarius
Posted 7/13/2013 12:21 PM (#24055 - in reply to #24039)
Subject: All Is One In The Great Soul Of Life

UMS Guest

Every human soul carries deep within the memory of the perfect and beautiful world from which we once descended into physicality and to which one day we shall return. This is a world that knows nothing of sickness, pain, violence, crime and wars, and all life exists together in perfect harmony. From time to time the memories of this world come to haunt us in order to encourage us in our search for the same perfection, i.e. wholeness that is in our Creator. To achieve this goal the Great Spirit plants in Its children of the Earth an urge to grow and reach upwards, so that our consciousness may expand through learning something from every experience that comes our way.

From ‘All Is One In The Great Soul Of Life’

Aquarius
Posted 7/24/2013 5:49 AM (#24072 - in reply to #24055)
Subject: The Value Of A Hug

UMS Guest

The Value Of A Hug

A hug is love in its purest form.
Giving, receiving and exchanging it costs nothing,
And is one of the finest things Earth life has to offer.
It heals relationships by wanting nothing from others,
Only to give of itself and hoping
That love’s gift will be accepted.

A hug feels good, it disperses loneliness and
The fear of each other.
It’s self-esteem building when a soul says to itself:
‘Wow! I am lovable, someone wants to hug me!’
A hug slows down ageing,
So people who keep on hugging never grow old.

A hug eases tensions and insomnia.
It keeps arms and shoulder muscles in good condition,
And is ecologically sound, as it enhances any environment.
Democratic because everybody is always eligible,
It is so portable that you can take it with you wherever you go.

A hug creates and affirms physical being.
It saves heat and is therefore energy efficient.
It makes difficult days bearable and happy ones better still,
Helping you to feel good all day.
And that’s why I am sending all of you an
Extra great big special hug – now!

Anon.
Edited by Aquarius

From ‘Words Of Wisdom for Relationship Healing’

Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... >
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :