University Of Metaphysical Sciences
University Of Metaphysical Sciences ->  General Public -> Metaphysics Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Food For Thought
[Frozen]

Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... >
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Frozen    General Public -> Metaphysics DiscussionMessage format

Aquarius
Posted 1/22/2013 7:20 AM (#23735 - in reply to #23732)
Subject: The Sailing Ship - An Allegory

UMS Guest

The Sailing Ship – An Allegory

Imagine in your mind’s eye, if you will, a sailing ship. After a long break on dry land it is getting ready to once again enter into the freedom of the high seas. The ship shows great beauty and strength, as it joyfully opens its snowy white sails and offers them to the morning breeze. You are one of those left behind at the shore. Sadly, you watch the ship’s departure until you can see no more of it than a speck of white cloud on the horizon where the ocean meets the sky. A mournful voice close by says: ‘Ah, it’s gone!’

During the coming days, you keep wondering to yourself: ‘Where did the ship go?’ Finally, you come to the conclusion that this does not really matter because you know that wherever it may be now, it will be still as beautiful as it ever was, and that its mast and hull will be just as strong as when it left your shore. At that moment, as if in a dream, you sense a voice calling to you from some distant shore: ‘It’s arrived safely. It’s here!’

The death of the physical body is similar. Nothing changes, we remain the same one we always were. Our feelings and desires remain unchanged. All we have done is shedding our outer shell like a worn out overcoat. Eternity is here and now and everywhere. Each moment we spend on the Earth plane and all other worlds is an integral part of Eternity. Any loss on our present level of life is the spirit world’s gain. On the other side of the veil of consciousness each death in our world is always a happy event, because one of us is reborn into the full awareness of their true reality and is therefore coming home. We are eternal beings of light. There is no death and we cannot die. It’s just that from time to time we have to gather our experiences, so that we may learn from them and grow, on different levels of life  – that’s all.

Roger Carswell
Edited by Aquarius

From ‘Comfort for the Bereaved’

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Aquarius
Posted 1/28/2013 5:48 AM (#23748 - in reply to #23562)
Subject: Reflections On Life

UMS Guest

We are all the Universe’s beloved children of the Earth and an integral part of Its Creation. Our true nature is love and every one of us is valuable and has a right to find a measure of happiness in loving and being loved. The awareness of those who still mistake themselves for nothing but earthlings is in need of the healing that comes finding a better understanding of this.

Edited by Aquarius 1/28/2013 5:48 AM
Aquarius
Posted 1/29/2013 7:11 AM (#23749 - in reply to #23748)
Subject: Reflections On Life

UMS Guest

It has been said that because two people argue does not mean they do not love each other and that because some folks refuse to argue is a sign that they do. I find it childish to fall out with each other because of a difference of opinion. When a situation has been duly considered from all angles, in all our relationships it is all right to come to the conclusion that it is better to agree to disagree than falling out. Wise ones bear in mind that whenever disputes arise, two persons can be confronted with exactly the same things and perceive them in a totally different way.

Depending on one’s point of view, all participants in any argument can be right and wrong, at the same time. That’s the way it has to be for human beings, because of the different lessons we all have to participate in on the Earth plane. With a bit of goodwill any dispute can be settled peacefully, simply by accepting each other’s views, even though they differ. The level of someone’s spiritual maturity reveals itself in nothing more clearly than in the ability and willingness – or otherwise – to agree to disagree with others in times of conflict.

From ‘Reflections On Life’

Aquarius
Posted 2/1/2013 5:47 AM (#23755 - in reply to #23749)
Subject: Doing The Right Things

UMS Guest

Doing The Right Things
People are unreasonable, illogical and self-centred.
You don’t have to like them, but love them anyway!

They are all part of your own family.
They are part of you and you are part of them.
They may not yet know it, but you being wiser,
Love them anyway!

People may project their own ulterior motives onto you,
And accuse you of having them.
Rest safe in the knowledge that the Universe
Knows their hearts as well as yours.
Do good anyway!

If being successful means that we can only win
False friends and real enemies.
Succeed anyway!

The good we do today may be forgotten tomorrow.
Do it anyway!

What could have taken years of building up,
Can be destroyed overnight.
Build anyway!

People who are in need of our help,
May attack us whilst we are trying to help them.
Help anyway!

Give the world the best that is within you,
And should it be rejected, do not stop giving.
Give anyway!

The Universal Law of Karma ensures that what we send
Into the world, has to return to us.
Give of your best and only the best is sure to return!

Bishop Abel Muzorewa
African Spiritual and Political Leader
Edited by Aquarius

From ‘Relationship Healing’

Edited by Aquarius 2/3/2013 7:15 AM
Aquarius
Posted 2/3/2013 7:14 AM (#23756 - in reply to #23755)
Subject: The Nothing People

UMS Guest

The Nothing People
Have you heard of the nothing people?
They do not lie, but they do not tell the truth.
They do not take, but they do not give either.
They neither steal nor stop a thief.
They do not rock the boat, and never pull an oar.
They will not drag you down, but always let you pull them
And if the effort kill you, the tough luck is on you.
They do not hurt you, but they refuse to help
And never volunteer for anything.
They neither love nor hate you.
They will not burn you, but they fiddle happily
While you burn.

Do you know what they truly are?
The sins of omission folks.
Spiritual voids, neither good nor bad,
They are standing still and stagnating.
And because they never risk anything,
They do not learn or grow.
At least, the good keep trying,
And the bad in their own way, work just as hard.
At least both are based on action and conviction,
So, please Great Spirit, Father/Mother of all Life,
Send me either a sinner or a Saint,
But protect me against the nothing people.
If you told them they are in danger of
Wasting a precious lifetime on the Earth,
They would not believe you.

Anon.
Edited by Aquarius

From ‘Relationship Healing’

Ophiucus
Posted 2/14/2013 6:33 PM (#23763 - in reply to #23756)
Subject: RE: The Edge

Forum Administrator

Hi Aquarius and All Here

There has been some debate about the attribution of the poem, The Edge, but my understanding is, that it is thought that the correct authorship resides with Christopher Logue:

Come to The Edge

Come to the edge.
We might fall.
Come to the edge.
It's too high!
COME TO THE EDGE!
And they came,
and we pushed,
And they flew.

Though to whomsoever actually the copyright and authorship belong, it is an interesting verse: perhaps not always to be taken literally
Paul Joseph
Posted 2/14/2013 6:45 PM (#23766 - in reply to #23763)

PhD Alumni

Exactly how many angels can teeter on the brink at any one 'time' ?

Aquarius
Posted 2/17/2013 6:00 AM (#23767 - in reply to #23763)

UMS Guest

Dear Ophiucus - you were right. Thank you for shedding some light on this.

I had no idea there was a controversy over who had written 'Come To The Edge'. A friend gave it to me many years ago, when I was standing at the edge of a very frightening cliff and didn't know which way to jump. I liked the poem so much that I took it into my collection of words of hope and encouragement, which I have been sharing with all those in need of them for many years. 

I searched the web for some enlightenment on the poem and found the following:

http://www.emule.com/2poetry/phorum/read.php?4,34313,36775

With love - Aquarius

Edited by Aquarius 2/17/2013 6:02 AM
Aquarius
Posted 2/17/2013 6:06 AM (#23768 - in reply to #23562)
Subject: The Edge

UMS Guest

Dear Paul – I doubt that Angels ever feel the need to teeter on edges, the way we earthlings frequently do. And when we do, they stand by and support us, of that I am sure. With love – Aquarius

Aquarius
Posted 2/17/2013 6:10 AM (#23769 - in reply to #23768)

UMS Guest

Come to think of it, maybe Guillaume Appolinaire liked the poem so much that he did a spot of editing on it, the way I am fond of doing when I come across a brilliant idea that someone had and couldn’t express all that well. That’s what I call ‘polishing the gem’. As far as I am concerned, it’s a great honour when someone does that to one of our works. I wouldn’t object to it.

With love – Aquarius

Paul Joseph
Posted 2/17/2013 3:44 PM (#23772 - in reply to #23769)

PhD Alumni

Ha - quite so, all, I was just misquoting that Renaissance debate, about Nothing really, but they were very exercised by it, 'how may angels can gather on the head of a pin', and doing consequent word plays about The Edge ...., as in teetering on the brink of, as it seems you were called to do one day, dear Aquarius friend ... glad you made the right choice ...

Aquarius
Posted 2/18/2013 6:23 AM (#23774 - in reply to #23772)
Subject: The Truth

UMS Guest

Thank you, dear Paul. Glad you made it, too. We all get where we are meant to go in the end. So, let's be of good cheer and keep on keeping on.

Aquarius
Posted 2/18/2013 6:24 AM (#23775 - in reply to #23774)
Subject: RE: The Truth

UMS Guest

White Eagle: ‘Truth is like a shining jewel that has many facets. Souls who have uncovered truth within themselves do not say: ‘I have the only truth’ but ‘I see the truth through my facet, but truth has many facets along which its rays travel. What is true to me may not be  true for my siblings.’. That’s why we need to walk our path of service with tolerance, ready to observe and appreciate the truth that shines through every soul’s facets. At the core of truth lies the discovery that its central pivot is love, tolerance and an understanding that other people have their own truth as much as we have ours. Let these things be the keynotes of your service.’

Edited by Aquarius 2/18/2013 6:24 AM
Aquarius
Posted 2/20/2013 7:03 AM (#23780 - in reply to #23775)

UMS Guest

Guillaume Apollinaire, 1880/1918, was a French poet, playwright, short story writer, novelist, and art critic born in Italy to a Polish mother. Among the foremost poets of the early twentieth century, he is credited with coining the word surrealism and writing one of the earliest works described as surrealistic, the play ‘The Breasts of Tiresias’, 1917, used as the basis for a 1947 opera. Two years after being wounded in World War I, he died in the Spanish flu pandemic of 1918 at age 38.
Dear Ophiucus – I wonder whether the following has ever occurred to those who are doubting Guillaume Apollinaire’s right to the ownership of copyright for ‘The Edge’. Could he, in fact, have been the first one to whom this idea was given by the Universe? I do believe that the Universe floats Its ideas in the collective pool of consciousness of our world, of which each and every one of us is an integral part. We are all its transmitter/receiver stations and all those who are ready to pick up one of them – or many – will do so and develop them further.

That’s why, in my view, the whole thing about copyright is a great deal of nonsense. Whatever is there, does belong to all of us – not to one single individual. It is also the reason why I have always been willing to share my writings freely with anyone who is interested in them.

What do you think?

With love and light,
Aquarius

Paul Joseph
Posted 2/20/2013 1:35 PM (#23781 - in reply to #23562)
Subject: RE: Food For Thought

PhD Alumni

Hi Aquarius

In lieu of an answer from Ophiucus, and for myself, based in an academic institution, I would say this:

since UMS is a university of sorts, I suspect the answer lies in the matter of academic convention ... stuff that is published or claimed as one's own if it is not one's own amounts to intellectual theft.

It does make trying to write anything any more increasingly problematic, since in most cases everything has been said, and well said many times over by great wise souls.

All we can hope to do is restate our own truths for each other now, in this generation.

The other thing I would add too is that there are some around who are making a lot of money/reputation from trading off other peoples ideas, without proper accreditation (clearly not you, so am not making any criticism, just following on my own train of thought), which proper referencing/sourcing/acknowledgement would ease.

Moreover, eg, if I was Christopher Logue [in the matter of the ode under question] I might be rather affronted if my effort to bring that inspiration into the light was being attributed to another
Paul Joseph
Posted 2/21/2013 6:49 AM (#23784 - in reply to #23781)

PhD Alumni

So sorry for that slip of mine, I have amended it

Ophiucus
Posted 2/22/2013 3:44 AM (#23786 - in reply to #23781)

Forum Administrator

Aquarius

Paul expressed the matter very well. The point is, Guillaume Appollinaire did not write it, Christopher Logue did, and thus there are also copyright issues apart from academic ones; to which we Moderators must also be attentive. Here from the rather wonderful (free) management development web-site Businessballs.com is an interesting discussion (note too the correct version of Logue's poem):

"I am indebted to Davide Levi for alerting me to popular confusion surrounding one of the great inspirational poems, Come To The Edge. The Come To The Edge poem appears in a variety of forms, and is often wrongly attributed (including by this website a while ago, sorry) to the French poet Guilliame Apollinaire (1880-1918). In fact the British poet Christopher Logue (born 1926) wrote Come To The Edge, apparently in 1961-62. I am also grateful to Bob Janes, who pointed me towards a clearer explanation and the probable cause of the confusion, as explained (apparently) by Christopher Logue in an interview with Nigel Rees in 1995, which appears (apparently) on page 359 of Rees's book the 'Cassell Companion to Quotations' (Cassell, London, 1997): "...In 1961 or '62, Michael English and I were asked by Michael Kustow to design a poster/poem for an Apollinaire exhibition he was mounting at the ICA (Institute of Contemporary Arts in London). I wrote 'Come to the Edge' and put the words 'Apollinaire said' at the beginning of it; a cross [probably meaning combination, not 'across' as I'd previously suggested - thanks Cliff] between a title and a first line. On the poster, the poem, plus 'Apollinaire said' framed an illustration of clouds. Later, when the poem was reprinted, I dropped the trope [a trope is a figurative of metaphorical use of a word, in this case 'said', since Apollinaire never 'said' the words]. Last year, though, the US 'magician' David Copperfield projected a garbled version of the poem on to a screen as part of his show, as well as printing it in his 'tour-book' the show's programme. I believe the poem has been reprinted in at least one US book without my permission. Maybe it had the trope attached to it still..." (Apparently)

Exactly why Logue chose to add the attribution 'Apollinaire said' to his original work is not made clear; this is the best explanation I have to date, for which I should also acknowledge other people referenced in Bob Janes's explanatory email, who previously researched this matter, notably publisher Steve Khinoy of SKA SwordPlay Books (who gave details of the above on the publisher's forum website Publish-L.com, and who signed off his comments with the observation that "Indeed, a David Copperfield TV special show in the UK in 1995 concluded with an approximation of the poem ... attributed to Apollinaire"), and Brian Baranoski (who posted the details of the Rees book and Logue interview on Geocities.com on 4 Jan 1998).

Here is the correct original Christopher Logue version of Come To The Edge.

Come to the edge.
We might fall.
Come to the edge.
It's too high!
COME TO THE EDGE!
And they came,
and he pushed,
and they flew.

©Christopher Logue
"
http://www.businessballs.com/inspirational_motivational_quotes.htm#...

Aquarius
Posted 2/23/2013 6:33 AM (#23787 - in reply to #23786)

UMS Guest

Dear Ophiucus,

Thank you for investigating the matter so thoroughly and for clearing it up. In view of your findings I have removed ‘Come To The Edge’ from my website and from this thread. Hope that's okay with you.

With love - Aquarius

Edited by Aquarius 2/23/2013 6:36 AM
intentmind
Posted 2/23/2013 5:17 PM (#23789 - in reply to #23562)
Subject: Re: Food For Thought

New user

I Look To The Day

I look to the day…
When our inner self is more important than our ego

I look to the day…
When we realize the importance of humanity

I look to the day…
When we know we are a part of God and that God is a part of us

I look to the day…
When we know in our hearts, our mind and our soul that there is no sense to prejudice

I look to the day…
When we can look at a man or woman and not see race, creed or color

I look to the day…
When there is world peace

I look to the day…
When we realize we are all one with the universe and each other
Ophiucus
Posted 2/24/2013 9:13 AM (#23795 - in reply to #23787)

Forum Administrator

Aquarius

Thanks for comment - but in my view it is still a great verse, so am not sure why one should remove ? It's just the referencing/sourcing that was being clarified ..

Namaste

O
Aquarius
Posted 2/25/2013 6:06 AM (#23797 - in reply to #23795)

UMS Guest

Thank you, dear Ophiucus. As the officially accepted version of 'Come To The Edge' is contained in your first response to my original posting of it, there is no need for repeating it, would you agree?

And thank you, Intentmind, for your contribution. I have enjoyed it so much that I am going to add it to my collection. How much I look forward to that day, too.

God bless you both.

With love - Aquarius

Edited by Aquarius 2/25/2013 6:06 AM
Aquarius
Posted 2/25/2013 6:08 AM (#23798 - in reply to #23797)
Subject: What Is Hope?

UMS Guest

When things go wrong, as they sometime will,
The optimist thinks: ‘They’ll come right again!’,
While the pessimist grumbles: ‘It’ll only get worse!’
And as our thoughts and beliefs create our earthly reality,
Both forecasts duly come true.
Each one nodes sagely: ‘I told you so!’
That’s why when times are hard, positive thinkers
Think: ‘They will get better and become easier again.’
Though it may take time, they invariably do.

From ‘What Is Hope?’

Edited by Aquarius 2/25/2013 6:08 AM
Ophiucus
Posted 2/25/2013 4:27 PM (#23800 - in reply to #23797)

Forum Administrator

Hi Aquarius

Sure; but I wasn't sure why you would remove it from your web-site, which also contains links to other wonderful material

Never mind, No mind!

All the best, All
Aquarius
Posted 2/28/2013 6:55 AM (#23802 - in reply to #23800)

UMS Guest

Dear Ophiucus,

Thank you for your response. I removed ‘Come To The Edge’ to avoid unnecessary copyright squabbles. When I happily share all my material with all those who are interested, because I believe that spiritual knowledge belongs to everybody and should be made freely available, I cannot see any reason why others shouldn’t allow me to use some of their material on my website. I consider it as an honour to be chosen.

So, I have taken your advice and reinstated the poem. In spite of the fact that I like the first version better, this time I have used the second one, for the simple reason that it appears to be the officially accepted one. Should anyone object to this, please let me know and I shall remove it again.

With love and light,
Aquarius
Aquarius
Posted 2/28/2013 7:12 AM (#23803 - in reply to #23802)
Subject: The Quest For God's Eternal Wisdom And Truth

UMS Guest

‘Do not believe anything simply because you have heard it, or because it is spoken and rumoured by many, or because it is found written in religious books, or because it emanates from your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. When you find after observation and analysis that anything agrees with your reasoning and is conducive to the good and benefit of all, accept it and conduct your life by it.’ The legend of the Buddha, ca. 563 – 483 BCE.

The figure of the Buddha is a metaphor for human souls in their awakened and enlightened state. His last words to his disciples are the most poignant ones, as valid now as they were then: ‘Go and work out your own salvation, with diligence.’

Edited by Aquarius 2/28/2013 7:12 AM
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... >
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software