University Of Metaphysical Sciences
University Of Metaphysical Sciences ->  General Public -> Metaphysics Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Explaing some altered perceptions of reality
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Public -> Metaphysics DiscussionMessage format

FoxFires
Posted 2/4/2012 11:36 AM (#23058)
Subject: Explaing some altered perceptions of reality

Alumni

The intention of this post is not to accrue an argument of fact or who did what wrong...  It is more to help those who are willing to see that some points might add to the perception we have.  As dogma is defined as irrefuteable information from a person of authority...  This point is entirely to share what can help us now, with no issues of who did what wrong in the past.

But the fact still seems there that we may not have the entire truth explained to us, and opening up to more points of veiw without us getting too upset seems to be a path of enlightenment  See Link http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-JiYLR0tSp4

So there are things that can be seen as helpful to some, and not helpful... Please take what can help, and ignore the stuff that does not help.  I watched the video from 2:10 to the end

Thanks in Advance

Top of the page Bottom of the page
leo
Posted 2/4/2012 3:11 PM (#23059 - in reply to #23058)
Subject: Re: Explaing some altered perceptions of reality

Ph.D. Alumni

Anyone interested in a Current mind/matter interaction study using an optical system, may go to the Institute of Noetic Sciences link page below. It is a Double-Slit experiment. "The online double-slit experiment, a study which is part of our research program exploring the role of consciousness in the physical world. During the experiment data from an optical system in our laboratory is streamed live to your web browser, in close to real-time. We use a double-slit optical system because, as the Nobel Laureate physicist Richard Feynman famously said, "[The double-slit experiment] has in it the heart of quantum mechanics. In reality, it contains the only mystery."

http://www.psiarcade.com/j/

Leo

FoxFires
Posted 2/4/2012 3:50 PM (#23060 - in reply to #23059)

Alumni

Leo,

The act of observing causes a change in the reality of the measurement.  So the slit observation explanation has to be qualified, and we can only assume some things about when measurements / observations are not occuring... 

leo
Posted 2/4/2012 6:58 PM (#23062 - in reply to #23058)

Ph.D. Alumni

FoxFires,
We probably shouldn't assume anything. In Newtonian physics, we learned that the nucleus was central to the atom and the other particles mearly rotated around in a set pattern. Now physics states that it is simply a cloud due to the randomness of the particles motion. It isn't safe to make assumptions about things that change when observed. Thats precisely why its a mystery as stated by Feynman. The video as shown is around 5 years old. Since that time a great deal of data has been accumlated. With IONS senior research scientist Dean Radin, much of his research is based on that data. Science deals with empirical evidence which is capable of being verified or disproved by observation or experiment <empirical laws> . Quantum physics is finding that to be not that accurate.

Now Newtonian physics is a sub-set of the quantum mechanics. Much like the earth being a sphere, however the thought of it being flat still works for simple measurements ie measuring an acre of land.

Leo Ph.D. Metaphysical Counselor
mruppert
Posted 2/4/2012 7:20 PM (#23063 - in reply to #23058)
Subject: RE: Explaing some altered perceptions of reality

Expert

Higuyz:

YouTube says whatever it wants to. There are many great moments! In my mind, I like....at this moment in time.....the ring collapse during the Lesner v Big Show match. If one can get beyond the hyperdrama, and go to the soul of what motivates a significant demographic,  the moment that Lesner attempts the slam ( which was staged....look carefully at the placement of hands and feet) is high moral drama and the result is a mutable vindication.....neither a win or defeat but an accomplishment which, by the penultimate of frenzy, concurrs with....the approval of the people. Beyond that, there is the poetry of two very big dudes in the air.......and that, kind sirs, is what gives violence its fascinating and shimmering beauty.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDElCeDsVm4

Ahhhhh......I think I have done a successful link on my own......on my old Gateway2000 Win98.....gotta love technology!!!!!!!

Edited by me......the metaphysical movement starts at around 06:50....but if you go to the 7 minute mark you will get the gist......ENJOY!

Edited by mruppert 2/4/2012 7:28 PM
leo
Posted 2/6/2012 2:00 PM (#23069 - in reply to #23058)

Ph.D. Alumni

Hey Psycho,

Could it possibly be an analogy here that would include two metaphysical dudes having it out? Not that you would ever consider an amphiboly but then.........just sayin

Leo
FoxFires
Posted 2/6/2012 2:06 PM (#23070 - in reply to #23063)
Subject: RE: Explaing some altered perceptions of reality

Alumni

Marty,

I got into metaphysics because ot the opposite reason of "...that, kind sirs, is what gives violence its fascinating and shimmering beauty"  As I do not see beauty in vilonce

But thanks for sharing

mruppert
Posted 2/6/2012 5:45 PM (#23071 - in reply to #23070)

Expert

<p>Hi F&L,</p><p>Yes Foxer, you " got into metaphysics because ot the opposite reason--------As I do not see beauty in vilonce". Of the many things I admire about you, and there are, indeed, many-this is one of the sterling things. I am thinking you might be inclined to the Jains. As always, thank YOU for sharing....I learn a lot from each and every post!</p><p> Leooooooh..........I am astounded! I gotta take my hat off to amphiboly.....particularly if we go back to the Greek.....and if we do, your observation is doubly hilarious and hits at least one nail on the noggin.....and whacks a lot of moles! </p><p>Peace to all, </p><p>PsychoMarty, Poppy, Lucky </p><p> </p><p>---edited to close quotation marks so another person's words are preserved; also to indicate that the quote within the quote was dropped as it is contained in the reply which ends in 70 <br /></p>

Edited by mruppert 2/6/2012 5:51 PM
FoxFires
Posted 2/7/2012 10:15 AM (#23076 - in reply to #23062)

Alumni

Dear Leo,

I understand what you intend to share when you indicate that we probally should not assume anything!

But testing and establishing more known realities requires assumputions be used.  Like is I use a perodic table of elements, I can assume similarities in every property listed as a metal.  And then start playing with the differences between them.  So if you give me a compund and desire to have it analyzed, I start projecting outward from the behaiiors of the substance...  Some of the things we find in metals are  electron conductance, and poor insulating properties...  So if you say the word Metal, and I sort of go to the Idea or almost assumption of electrical conductor...

Now there are some of what we call semimetals and posinous metals...  But this all has to do with the outer valance electrons and a full pattern or lack of the orbit being full...  

So I do not necesairly need to have a piece of material to tell you what we expect or assume it to behave like from the perodic table of elements.  There are from my understanding some materials we have only hypotheticaly found on the perodic table of elements, so it seems we have assumed what they are and how we feel they will behave.

But if you salt your food before you even tast it, that is whre assumption leads to a predisposituin that the food could never be salty enough for us when it was perpared,  And Edison used on criteria to hire people for Research and Development Lab jobs, at the dinner, when they were interviewed, did they pre salt their food before they tasted it, if they did the candidate for the job, got passed over

I have worked at R&D labs before, and lead experiments.  So yes we often first test our prime assumptions, for validity, we call these proof tests...  Then we start throwing in a new variable and look for a change / Delta in the test processe sort of an emperical fashion

leo
Posted 2/7/2012 12:43 PM (#23077 - in reply to #23058)

Ph.D. Alumni

Fox,
I believe we're discussing semantics. I taught biology and in my way of looking at scientific method it is stated:
1.Define a question
2.Gather information and resources (observe)
3.Form an explanatory hypothesis
4.Test the hypothesis by performing an experiment and collecting data in a reproducible manner
5.Analyze the data
6.Interpret the data and draw conclusions that serve as a starting point for new hypothesis
7.Publish results
8.Retest (frequently done by other scientists)
As I taught it, an hypothesis is an educated guess as to what may be an outcome.
You say assumption I say hypothesis. Essentially the same thing
Leo

Edited by leo 2/7/2012 12:45 PM
FoxFires
Posted 2/7/2012 1:19 PM (#23078 - in reply to #23077)

Alumni

Dear Leo,

I read the "We probably shouldn't assume anything" statement and felt like this needed a retort.  But if I assert a claim, I need to explain the premise.

I think you agree.

But we both seem to agree that,  too many people assume way too much!!! As a minimum joint understanding we both claim, please advise if I need correction!!!

I would have remained quiet except the statement of "We probably shouldn't assume anything"  I do acknowledge your statement of qualifications, it was the statement that I addressed, not you qualifications to share on the issue

Edited by FoxFires 2/7/2012 1:21 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software