University Of Metaphysical Sciences
University Of Metaphysical Sciences ->  General Public -> Metaphysics Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Spiritual Movie Themes and Names
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Public -> Metaphysics DiscussionMessage format

Paul Joseph
Posted 1/4/2012 3:59 PM (#22858 - in reply to #22814)
Subject: Re: Spiritual Movie Themes and Names

PhD Alumni

Such a good point Moonqueen, I so agree

Except, I avoided watching the Tudors (and I was born in Market Bosworth

Pure fiction

Ha Marty ... but M R James' ghost stories have just been reissued I think

One of the greatest metaphysical films of recent times is, I think,

The Kingdom of Heaven,

director Ridley Scott, powerful stuff - also, oddly enough, about the Crusades

then again, the Jason Bourne films are very clever about forgetting and remembering who we are
Top of the page Bottom of the page
leo
Posted 1/4/2012 4:45 PM (#22859 - in reply to #22477)

Ph.D. Alumni

Paul
I just finished watching the entire Tudor series on Netflex. I'm not certain of the historical truths in the series. From what I looked up and read on Wikipedia, it seemed accurate enough. Very interssting stuff but then I suppose you already know that history.
Leo
Paul Joseph
Posted 1/6/2012 3:01 PM (#22874 - in reply to #22859)

PhD Alumni

Hi Leo

Marty is our resident historian I believe; and I may be mis-remembering the series, but it was the romanticization of King Henry XVIII to which I took exception [maybe that was another series though]; to us Brits he was a psychopathic, woman hating thug. He is credited with composing Greensleeves, a most beautiful tune, though I personally cannot credit that to him
leo
Posted 1/6/2012 3:14 PM (#22875 - in reply to #22477)

Ph.D. Alumni

Paul,
I would have to agree with your comments about Henry VIII. the series I watched portrayed him in much the manner you described. He wanted an heir and it didn't matter how many wives he had to behead to get one. So he simply became the self-proclaimed head of the English church.
FoxFires
Posted 1/6/2012 4:44 PM (#22876 - in reply to #22858)

Alumni

Paul,

I never thought of the Jason Bourne series as the way you indicated, so Yeah I get this now, as we remember who we are, or our capabilities

Edited by FoxFires 1/6/2012 4:46 PM
cause
Posted 1/6/2012 6:07 PM (#22877 - in reply to #22477)

UMS Student

<p>On the thought of movies that one might find spiritual only if thought about more criticaly. one might consider "minority report" to be strongly metaphysical if not spiritual. the movie's theme being about precognition makes quite a metaphysical statement. there are more modern movies in this 'bent' than one might look at in the context that they first represent. I find this perhaps an example of new metaphysics in the U.S. and world that is finding places that where without them in the industial revolution and atomic age. this is exciting! I haden't considered the new spiritual strength in the modern cinema. there are many more!</p><p>light,</p><p>cause</p>

Edited by cause 1/6/2012 6:09 PM
mruppert
Posted 1/7/2012 8:29 AM (#22883 - in reply to #22875)

Expert

Hi Paulo and Leo and everybody:

Give him a break, Leo! Only two lost their heads; and his last wife survived him.  Number 2-Anne Boleyn was a victim of ministerial intrigue. Henry all ready had a new true love. Number 5- Catherine Howard was not a particularly faithful wife, and engaged in her own "ministerial intrigue." That probably caused her to flip her wig.

Of all these lovely brides, Anne probably was the most notable of those tarty Tudors. No son for Henry, but a Princess. Due to a faulty (ha ha ha) will from Edward;  the Third Succession Act (the Brits were constantly changing how one succeeds to the throne); and Lady Jane Grey loosing her head (literally); that Princess became The Virgin Queen, Good Queen Bess or officially Elizabeth, Queen of England and Ireland. She is now referred to as Elizabeth I. Her reign initiated the persecution of Catholics, and planted the seed that grew into the Church of England.

Oh, and by the way, Elizabeth got to be Queen of England AND Ireland thanks to Queen Mary marrying Philip, who would be named an English King, but couldn't read, write or speak English. He was a Spanish guy. And, that would not be the first time an English king couldn't understand English.

Alas, I could go on forever about the merry monarchs of the UK but I wouldn't want to lose my head!

God Save the Queen!

Peace and Love,

PsychoMarty, Luck and Pop

leo
Posted 1/7/2012 12:41 PM (#22884 - in reply to #22883)

Ph.D. Alumni

PsychoMarty,

Thanks for the history lesson. I had it dow pretty well but needed a couple of corrections. History is not my forte in this life experience, however it is my understanding that I did teach history in my first incarnation. That would have been in the late 1800's to early 1900's.

There were so many heads on pikes throughout London its hard to keep up with the who's who of heads on pikes. I did watch the movie "Elizabeth" very interesting indeed. According to the movie, we need a different defination of "virgin" as portrayed in the flick.

Thanks again Sir Psycho

Blessings
Leo
Paul Joseph
Posted 1/7/2012 5:21 PM (#22888 - in reply to #22884)

PhD Alumni

Yes quite so, thanks from me too Marty [though losing anyone their head might be seen as careless to say the least, no?].... odd, I reflected before reading your post, that in a way the first Queen Elizabeth, Good Queen Bess, could be seen as a divine karmic joke upon poor Henry, after all his efforts to bring forth a son .... and then too, the way in which the Anglican Church was born out of strange desires.

Thanks for the feedback FF: I got into thinking that way about Jason Bourne after the second in the series (is that the Bourne Supremacy? I get mixed up); especially as I followed the end, where - without giving too much away in case anyone watches it who hasn't yet - the theme of redemption through forgiveness becomes very manifest ... I am though referring to the film trilogy, not the now endless succession of book rewrites trading on the Bourne legacy.

Edited by Paul Joseph 1/7/2012 5:22 PM
Supernatural3
Posted 1/8/2012 11:41 AM (#22904 - in reply to #22477)

PhD Alumni

I loved Minority Report... and Total Recall... there could be a million. I just love movies... and I get a lot of spiritualness out of nearly all of them. I also loved "I am number 4".
cause
Posted 1/8/2012 4:35 PM (#22920 - in reply to #22477)

UMS Student

<p>I had not considered alien themes in " Total Recall ". I too love film. I often let it distract me. But a love of film is I feel a good thing. Or is a distraction of purpose to me. Or again that is a good thing to me. Have you seen the "illusionist"? I really enjoyed it! So many good movie and so many good books and of course little time. If I was to extend my life this along with writing would be why. Helping others is paramount. These would however be the medium I would choose. Love it!</p><p> cause</p>

Edited by cause 1/8/2012 4:37 PM
mruppert
Posted 1/8/2012 6:17 PM (#22921 - in reply to #22888)

Expert

Hiyaz all:

Just a few other silly observations......

Anglicans are as Catholic as Romans....due to the Creed.....and the RC church in the US has certainly welcomed the Anglican faithful.....including married clergy.....which is a NONO in the Vatican Nazi State that exists for us true believers.

Pauly's comment is so true........biographers should be historians and oft times are, but how they tell the history is suspect.

For instance, some myths......John F Kennedy......not really a nice guy at all, and that can be said for most of the Kennedys. I am not saying that he was not a brilliant tactician vs Khruschev (who was not an evil guy and actually wished no harm to the western world, including the USA).

Redemptive history.....George Armstrong Custer........stupid general or betrayed by a cowardly Reno.

Margaret Thatcher.......NO NO NO.....if the Brits had listened to her the Quid would be the strongest currency in the world today, sadly and Gladstonely,  it is one of a few others that still has some value ( and the US dollar is not one of them ) ......Ms. Merkel would gladly have the Deutchmark back! UberAlles!

We historians tell history as we see it through the eyes that have inspired us.....and those eyes use all the historical tools available to us. If we stay true to our research and the evaluation we make as to veracity and validity, we have a fairly accurate view. BUT, we must always be open and receptive to new information that may well change our views.

When an "authority" dictates our history, we must become vigilent, wary, and careful; if not, then all future generations would live a lie, moreso that we would lose the messages that shaped our character and honed our resolve to be a better people....to be the greatest people among the world.

For example, some in the USA would have us erase the word "nigger" from books written by Sam Clemons, aka Mark Twain. Yet, our culture is replete with the word. We have come to the segment of time that only a "chosen" people can use the word and it is okay....but if someone else does it is an unpardonable wrong.....EVEN THOUGH.....the meaning is the same as meant by all utterrers.

Historians are mindful of this....as it relates back to the Middle Ages and the questions of what is meant by "faith"......a very simple word......but a word that has spawned so many offspring....and has been a signal of good but also an inspiratum of evil.

Peace Profound,

PsychoMarty, Luck, Poppppeeee

avalon1002
Posted 2/5/2012 5:48 PM (#23064 - in reply to #22477)

<p>How about The Matrix? Even Star Wars with the Force! V for Vendetta, V's beliefs in the human spirit; Field of Dreams; Signs (crop circles); The Fisher King; goodness, nearly any movie about King Arthur and Camelot! The Lord of the Rings!! Witches of Eastwick ;-D The Lovely Bones; Independence Day. </p><p>Others have mentioned The Fountain; What Dreams May Come. </p><p>I'm going through my box of videos and DVDs now - Big Fish. Back when Spiritual Circle Cinema first started, I was a subscriber and they really did have some wonderful films. Illusion with Kirk Douglas which I think was his last film- he'd had a stroke in real life but he incorporated that into the character he played - amazing performance! Snow Walker; Deja Vu with Vanessa Redgrave - finding your "soul mate" late in life and many others you wouldn't have heard of. </p><p>And then there are TV shows! Don't get me started! ;-D</p>

Edited by avalon1002 2/5/2012 5:50 PM
FoxFires
Posted 2/6/2012 8:01 AM (#23066 - in reply to #23064)

Alumni

Avalon,

There is also the Mists of Avalon movie and the veil between the worlds seemed to be part of the theme

To me Big Fish was about letting go of negative emotions

Matrix seemed to be about the world as we view it and what the limiting factor is the perception we have toward the reality we reside in, and all of the spiritual people unplugged were Hackers who understood machine code or programming.  But did you notice that Neo was not afraid of the Agents when the asked him to help catch Morpheus.  And the oracle was part of the machine and a program,  I wondered if Neo was not also a program too

Feiled of dreams seemed to be about seeing things that others did not see.

My reason for this thread is it seems that the visions of those in cinnema profession seem to know of the energy of spiritual things, and this might just be a way to get the information out to the masses

Love and Light

Paul Joseph
Posted 2/6/2012 9:52 AM (#23067 - in reply to #23066)

PhD Alumni

Saw The Adjustment Bureau the other day with Mat Damon and Emily Blunt; apart from the fact that she is very beautiful, thought the film elicited some great spiritual themes about reality, free will, choice - the making our own reality kind of thing; and love conquering fate - recreating fate -

based on a short story by Philip K. Dick

mruppert
Posted 2/6/2012 9:30 PM (#23073 - in reply to #22819)

Expert

Hello,

As all can read, we have a wide variety of concepts of spiritual movie themes and names. Most, if not all, are holly-bolly-jollywood portrayals.

My contribution is on Youtube but I will not reference it. At least one person that I know would object as it is violent, and perhaps many others??? An Apache helicopter (is it not mystical that they choose an Indian name) sites and fires 50 cal-al rounds into human beings on the ground. The beauty and poetry lies in how they set it up......"permission to engage" such words from the Romantic poets, Blake, Shelley, or Coleridge? Permission to engage!!!!!!!! What have we become???? But, then again, does anyone really care, when we embrace the human condition of Mob Wives and Lets Humiliate Fat People, or whatever these non-entertaining shows are called. Oh...I remember nowl....Jerseylicious.....the show about people who live in New York's parking lot.....which most people know as da state of NuJoisey

Which were the movies whose main themes were pure, unadulterated, compassion????

PMart, L & P gotta go find RIP....cos I forgot....

FoxFires
Posted 2/7/2012 8:15 AM (#23075 - in reply to #23067)

Alumni

Paul,

I do have the Adjustment Burea on my list of to see movies!!!

Thanks for the positive rating

avalon1002
Posted 2/7/2012 7:54 PM (#23080 - in reply to #23066)

Hi Foxfire,

I think I'm going to  have to watch all of these again one of these days!

I did see the Mists of Avalon some time ago and Loved it!  Read the book long before that, too.  The Matrix for me was waking up from the delusional dream we're all in.  Have to watch them all again to see what you're saying.  Field of Dreams for me was believing enough in yourself and what you do and then others will believe, too.  Big Fish was just so lovely, and a large part of the "message" was the healing of the relationship between father and son.  The dad had all these amazing stories to tell his son, and the big fish in the lake he was determined to catch, shoot, can't remember now if he did catch it and then let it go.  Have to watch it again!

I agree with you that many of the people in the film industry are expressing various aspects of spirituality in the movies they're making.  Even some TV shows as well, but you have to really separate the wheat from the chaff there!   I don't actually watch real time TV, can't stand the commercials and other nonsense.  Watch shows on Netflix instead, no commercials, and I can stop and restart when I want!  I could list a bunch of shows, but will refrain for now until asked.

FoxFires
Posted 2/8/2012 7:40 AM (#23085 - in reply to #23080)

Alumni

The Big Fish story theme, can float depending on what you focus on, but the ring for his wife (wedding ring) and the time of the son's birth or the wedding date were involved with the fish giving him the ring or him losing it by the fish swallowing it???  But the things we all feel strong emontions of he, the dad was able to tell the story some much better than than duldrums of life that the son saw.  And the dad was able to opent the reality of seeing only the positive motives in life in every one of his explanations.  The son saw a delusional dad, and the mom saw a person of endless joy and happiness, and the son never saw the happiness in the dad, till the end...  So there was what I consider loving emotional push used by the dad, and this is rare to see or experience, and may do not understand this perspective

I dieveate on the Feild of Dreams to the issue, getting others to see what we see, hard to explain, but people are only willing through free will to see what they are capable of believing...  And my actions / emotions might not change this

Comercials to me seem to feed a person emotions to feel, and a comercialized way to handle emotions and health issues, lawyers to solve job / pay problems...  Sort of emotional things to solve process... 

Edited by FoxFires 2/8/2012 7:41 AM
avalon1002
Posted 2/8/2012 6:50 PM (#23086 - in reply to #22477)

Cool, Foxfires! I agree with your views. As I said, I'll have to watch these all again, but not commercials!! ;-D
Hopeful
Posted 6/2/2012 8:53 AM (#23360 - in reply to #22477)

Student

I watched "Conversations with God" a few months ago. I had never heard of it but my daughters friend had it and so we watched it. I found it very spiritual as the main character was on a search himself. It didn't go into a lot of spiritual detail but was more about his quest. I sure did trigger though an interest in me and I now have read several of Neal Walsch's books which I love. They made a huge impact on me.
Paul Joseph
Posted 6/2/2012 11:49 AM (#23366 - in reply to #23360)

PhD Alumni

The Man Who Would Be King, based on a Rudyard Kipling short story, and starring a younger than now Sean Connery and Michael Caine, and a then unknwon young beautiful actress who was to become Caine's wife, Shakira (Baksh? I think was her maiden name); about two Victorian soldiers of fortune who seek fame and fortune in 19th Century Afghanistan, pretending to be the reincarnation of Alexander the Great (Connery), and becoming local gods ... but men cannot be gods, can they?

Great film, though a bit old now. If it ever comes around your way, highly rated by your humble servant, on the square and on the level [a quote from the film, especially for Leo
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software