University Of Metaphysical Sciences
University Of Metaphysical Sciences ->  General Public -> Metaphysics Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Controversy
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Public -> Metaphysics DiscussionMessage format

Paul Joseph
Posted 10/16/2010 4:54 PM (#20495 - in reply to #20493)
Subject: RE: Controversy

PhD Alumni

Like the English comedian Tommy Cooper's joke,

Patient: "Doctor, I broke my arm in two places"

Doctor: "Don't go to those places"

I try to avoid such places .....
Top of the page Bottom of the page
FoxFires
Posted 10/16/2010 4:58 PM (#20496 - in reply to #20495)

Alumni

Paul,

I like that one!!!

Supernatural3
Posted 10/16/2010 7:03 PM (#20497 - in reply to #20258)

PhD Alumni

Thank you both, and yes... I totally agree. I do also tend to turn such seriousness into humor when dealing with those who simply won't accept different theories. If I don't, I would blow up. To laugh, is to release to me.

I have wanted to fake convulsions in church.... but was afraid someone would dial 911. HA HA HA
Blessings~

mruppert
Posted 10/16/2010 9:50 PM (#20498 - in reply to #20258)

Expert

Yo, Whassup Guyz, some well conceived and ill conceived thoughts:

Just as the majority of drugs that pharmaceutical companies sell have nothing to do with one's health and well being;  organized religion has nothing to do with one's spiritual health and well being.

I have argued in many other posts that the religious experience has nothing at all to do with being a member of a particular religion, or being "religious", at all. (-William James "The Varieties of Religious Experience"; Gifford Lectures, Univ of Edinburgh, 1901-2).

A recent survey (The Pew Survey) noted that atheists and agnostics know far more about the world's religions than professed religious people do; and substantially more about a particular religion than those who are members of that religion. Why is that?

You are being sold a lie that the Koran is not a book of intolerance and violence. It is....just as much as the Bible is the same. Many have never read one and ignore the language of the other. And, this statement works from both the Muslim and Christian perspective. Yet, both books profess loftier ideals, which oftentimes coincide.  Notwithstanding,  they both are books that are as powerful to masses of people as is Atlas Shrugged to one individual who resides among us.

As a Roman Catholic, and as one among any enlightened Roman Catholics, it comes as no surprise or shock that men may love men and women may love women; that some women may want to not be pregnant, that priests may want to marry. Those people who are residents of the postage stamp country known as the Vatican City and who are in charge of "THE Roman Catholic Church" are relics of the dark ages; medieval times. They have absolutely nothing to do with faith, and everything to do with selling a drug to people that promotes neither their spiritual health nor well being.

Those South Americans who practice Santaria and those on Hispanoila (Haiti, Dominican Republic) who practice Condoble.....I think the Brazilians adopted that name....are closer to Catholicism of ancient times than any people standing in St. Peter's Square listening to the Pope.

That is the metaphysical dimension of the belief that I chose to label myself with. It fits nicely with many other of my "Hello I'm XXXXXXXXX" stickers.

Doc J has probably had one of the most profound religious experiences of anyone I have ever met. She has found the strength to face myriad crises and challenges throughout her life, and has managed to overcome all, and has managed to do so with grace and a smile when a smile was needed (just to cheer the spirit of someone else; think of how rich that smile made that person feel). That strength is the energy of a higher power...to be poetical....the touch of the hand of God.

Peace and Pizza,

Marty, Luckylee (Maronite Christian); Poppyhead (Ba'hai) and Sissygirl (heathen)  

Paul Joseph
Posted 10/17/2010 7:26 AM (#20505 - in reply to #20497)

PhD Alumni

Either that Jill, or they might have tried to exorcise you .... or maybe canonise ?!

As for Tommy Cooper, glad you liked his joke ... he was one of the all-time great British comedians, who indeed, literally died (ie, passed away) on stage in front of a full audience (a Royal Command performance, I think), and the audience at first thought it part of his act .... what a way to go, for a comic ....

Or,as Groucho Marx said:

"Hello - I must be going"

Edited by Paul Joseph 10/17/2010 7:27 AM
Supernatural3
Posted 10/17/2010 10:30 PM (#20507 - in reply to #20258)

PhD Alumni

Maaaaarrrrty....

You are a breathe of fresh air. Yes, I have really been through the ringer for sure. BUT, I feel life is all about choices. One can CHOOSE to let all the crap keep em low, or snap out of it and choose to LOVE life.

I do dedicate my life to improving others quality of life others, when asked to do so, but, i don't mind sneaking in some improvement on my own while I am at it. I keep the circle flowing... (wink).

Paul,

I hear ya... who knows what was the plot behind many experiences. I guess I don't want to know, because it all was my own choice as I truly believe that free will is our own.

I sure with I had the same talent as several of you all in expressing thoughts, with references. Everything I speak of, flows directly from the soul. HA HA  Sometimes it gets me in trouble...

HUGS
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software