University Of Metaphysical Sciences
University Of Metaphysical Sciences ->  General Public -> Metaphysics Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The Power Of Prayer
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Public -> Metaphysics DiscussionMessage format

Linda K. Arkle
Posted 4/1/2010 7:15 PM (#19223)
Subject: The Power Of Prayer

My mother told me of instances where she knew people in her church were actively praying for her, mostly regarding health issues, and she could feel it helping. She also told me of others she had prayed for and they felt it had helped. I have seen many religious teachers advocate praying for things, and being very specific is crucial. The catch is that you have to ask. Being realistic may be helpful, like only asking for what you really need. Saying it out loud even if it’s only a whisper is necessary because whatever it is that listens may not be able to read your mind. In any case the gist is that the more people you have praying for you the more you are likely to get what you are praying for even if it is only temporary. So I hereby suggest we try an experiment here. Each of us state here on this thread one thing that we want and would like others to pray for us to get or succeed at. As each person states that one request, and only one for this is not intended for the purpose of greed or power, then we all pray once a day for the one thing we want and the one thing each of the rest of us want. It must be personal, not world peace or something that involves the cooperation of the entire planet, just one thing that would help your own immediate life or someone else you specifically care for. It should be something that you have done your best at to succeed or help and now it is in the hands of the universe. Then we all pray once a day for a week or a month, whatever seems appropriate, including everyone’s request.

Please note that during a court battle my husband and I went through last year I asked several people to pray for us and we still lost, so my faith in anything has been severely shaken, but other things have happened that made it seem it was predestined anyway and a means to force us to let go and head in a very different direction which personally I don’t regret. Unfortunately my husband is not as at ease as he lost much more than me, but we did absolutely everything we could and have no regrets as it was not our fault we failed. However we also had two other court battles that we won within the same year. What we got out of it all was our freedom, but with a very high price. So praying is no guarantee, but I have seen it help sometimes.

So as my husband and I are rebuilding our lives (fortunately together), my wish is:
Dear Universe,
Please get a newspaper or magazine to which I am submitting my articles to take an interest in my work and publish some of it. Amen.

Someone may respond saying this is not the place to make such a request. I am not a member of any organized religion or group, so where does a non-denominational person go to ask for people to pray for them? It is my impression many of the people using this website incorporate teachings from everywhere and are also basically non-denominational, so this seems like a good place to try this experiment. Jain Wu is praying and fighting for her freedom, and I pray a path opens for her to accomplish this.

Please pray for me.

Now, what would anyone else like me to pray for? Be specific and reasonable, and make it personal. A million dollars is not realistic, whereas a means to make that rent payment or clarity to pass a test or get healthier might be. And it must all be positive requests. All together now . . .
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Zen&AlxM.
Posted 4/2/2010 8:09 AM (#19227 - in reply to #19223)
Subject: RE: The Power Of Prayer

Student

Linda become a ums student, i'll pray that you do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCEeAn6_QJo

good luck and peace out mother dove, and remember .. mysterious ways it all works in mysterious ways.
mruppert
Posted 4/2/2010 11:46 PM (#19235 - in reply to #19223)

Expert

Hello Linda Arckoff.....no..that was a guy who did science-fiction films.....Arkle...there we go!
I understand what you are saying very well. As a Roman Catholic AND a Rosicrucian, I have studied the power of prayer, both from a devotee stance and an "invotee" position.
I am interested in what you want to publish, as I like to write very ornate and bizarre missives, most of which are amusing to me and very few others (you guys know who you are).
The "universe' might respond to you....but I have other ideas that go beyond the universe.

Paul Joseph
Posted 4/3/2010 6:15 AM (#19236 - in reply to #19235)

PhD Alumni

I pray that I should know what to pray for
alpha+omega
Posted 4/3/2010 6:48 AM (#19237 - in reply to #19223)

Veteran

Hi Linda...

I wish I were more in a position to help right now, but it has definitely been an interesting experience regarding what we talked about privately. As it stands I am looking to possibly incorporate in the British Virgin Islands, get a place in Buenos Aires, get married to an old friend in Oregon, get a place in the Cayman Islands, or all of the above. Like Christine says though, Patience is definitely a virtue when it comes to stuff like this. http://www.youtube.com/profile?aia=true#p/a/f/1/iU7Vhyscn6U Perhaps it is trying even Ganesha, who removes obstacles. There has to be an easier way.

So far, there have been several attempts on my bank password, key logger attempt on my  workstation, taunts from Belarus mafia h4ck3r5, etc., so I put the information out Open Source to really T5* it. That should prove that my motivations are not as many here think. And I think I have them all exactly where they want me. Revisit that link I sent you to see where it is going. There was also a very interesting attempt at bank robbery of the illegal kind by piggybacking 1/2 contract (no such thing) on my main trading account to steal my signals. Goodness... I have never seen anything the likes of it, and because of my normal job, I have seen a lot! People will definitely do anything for EZ money. It is definitely a previously unquantified dimension, at least mathematically and metaphysically, that I am tapping into. I suspect many are in jail or on their way their this morning. But I am OK, and a lot safer since I let it all go. That was Good Friday. I sense that it only gets "gooder" from here on.

*T5: "The Turd Tangles The Turbine" as we old pilots tend to say... Ask Scully!

Edited by alpha+omega 4/3/2010 7:09 AM
Linda K. Arkle
Posted 4/3/2010 3:10 PM (#19253 - in reply to #19223)

I was just trying to find a practical application for all this spiritual stuff I think I've learned. It's one thing to chat about it. It's another to try to really do something with it. When I was young I was cocky and proud. I felt so confident that I didn't need anyone else's help I pitied other's who did need help, and I would fault myself for ever asking for it. Years later I went through a major upheavel losing my first husband, my very nice house (with a huge mortgage), and my well paying job all within a two month period. I had hated the way all three felt like anchors around my neck and I was relieved to get my freedom from them, but suddenly I also realized I needed all the help I could get. It was very humbling having to ask for help, and people turned out to be willing to help me. I always made sure to let them know that I very much appreciated their help, which was as important as any other aspect of my situation. Eventually I recovered and discovered new friends as a result, and more compassion, too. I go through a major upheaval every ten years on average, so I don't worry about it and just go with the flow. I try to look at what gets a person into a dire situation and what lessons there are to be learned surrounding it, as some people play the professional victim. What I learned over the last forty years of spiritual seeking is to do the best you can and not be afraid to ask for help if you really need it. I've also seriously examined what I really need and want from this life, which is important as I am an old fart now and don't know how much longer I have here. I was invulnerable when I was young. I now understand the fragility of life. So I am just trying to find a way to work with the universe and have a warm place to sleep at the same time.

I'm surprised no one has yet asked for anything to be prayed for regarding something personal. My guess is that most people are too afraid of exposing themselves as it might make them more vulnerable, but I don't believe that all of you are so completely detached that none of you want anything. Maybe you just feel you don't deserve it. In that case, don't ask. As a writer I noticed people relate better if you expose your own problems and hopefully some sollutions. I'm currently writing humor columns, and the ironic thing about humor is that most of it is born from problems and terrible experiences. Though I am currently a failure, I feel I do deserve some success because I've done my best, like many I know who also consider themdelves failures. People often tell me God wants us to be happy. Is this really true or a gerenic placation for the masses? I know what would make me happy, at least a little bit. What would make you happy?
Paul Joseph
Posted 4/3/2010 4:30 PM (#19254 - in reply to #19223)

PhD Alumni

Actually Linda, my post was only placed after considering seriously your question, and it (my post) was most sincerely meant.

Did you notice also my reply to the 'Test' thread ?

I wondered about praying for a 'heart that is skilled in listening', but since King Solomon the Wise of the Holy Book asked for that, I did not want to duplicate.

Blessed Daze

ps, my practical application for this 'spiritual stuff' (whatever your spiritual stuff is), for me is, the operationalizing of Kindness

Edited by Paul Joseph 4/3/2010 4:38 PM
Paul Joseph
Posted 4/4/2010 1:50 PM (#19265 - in reply to #19223)

PhD Alumni

If I can work out the technology, I will cut and paste this over onto the 'Peace' thread, : you will see why !

A light suddenly opened in my mind, just now, and it occurred to me that - I do not think we have done this here before - we could use Prayer, as a form of intercession, in our huge collective mentality/spirituality (as Friend and Brother Leo has discerned), not necessarily for 'peace', as an 'abstract' concept, but for whatever might be concerning is on the world stage at any given moment. Especially, I might suggest, for under-reported, or indeed, unreported, events (so long as , and here we go, see, how I immediately start to introduce a possibly unnecessary 'rule'!!!!). For example, and this is that which I shall now hold focus for this moment and others here are welcome to join in, or not, or add there, as we say in the UK, 'two-pennuth' (two-cents, small change, etc):

Yesterday on the news, and not seen note of since, I saw reported a landslide just outside Lima, Peru: Many were killed, reports still sketchy.

So now, at this moment, instant, I pray, hold i my mind, before the Light: those in that area so affected, or not in that area but equally possibly affected (concern for relatives, friends, love ones, etc):

Holding Lima, Peru, in the Light:

Namaste

(and as each different second of time wears on, so might other candles be added, for other constituencies, eg,

child slaves in Africa making chocolate,

soldiers dying in wars fought for the best causes,

etc, etc)

May the Love of the Divine be with them all, burning more brightly for them, for their sacrifices x
leo
Posted 4/4/2010 1:54 PM (#19267 - in reply to #19265)

Ph.D. Alumni

Thank you Paul for those words of wisdom.

Namaste
sunnyside
Posted 4/21/2010 9:55 AM (#19331 - in reply to #19236)

New user

haha right on...
sunnyside
Posted 4/21/2010 9:57 AM (#19332 - in reply to #19253)

New user

I don't think people are detached. I do feel that prayer said, even though the problem is not revealed, still has effect. All is already known you see...
mruppert
Posted 4/23/2010 9:16 PM (#19340 - in reply to #19223)

Expert

It is a Roman Catholic belief that prayer of specificity can yield results that would otherwise be absent. I have studied this and found a large body of evidence in support.

Peace,
Mart, Luck, Popp, Siss

P.S. I mean Roman Catholic as the esoteric belief, NOT what those dudes propagate in the microscopic country that is in the midst of the city of Rome. And, I can't help but comment that their army dresses rather bizarrely. And, I don't believe for a minute that they are all Swiss.
Paul Joseph
Posted 4/30/2010 5:17 AM (#19378 - in reply to #19332)

PhD Alumni

Hello Sunnyside, welcome here Linda ... hello Marty ....

.... maybe we should be praying that the oil slick you've got going over there does not wreak too much devastation

Aummmm

.......... and that we might heed lessons from it

alpha+omega
Posted 5/1/2010 8:31 AM (#19381 - in reply to #19223)

Veteran

Hi again PJ

That slick is a real pickle, isn't it? I wonder why they can't just put a 4 foot diameter 1" wall steel "straw" down 5000 feet around the wellhead, then start pulling up tankers to suck 'er up? Maybe they just can't pull that outta their hat like we can here because we build pipelines like that all over the place. Doable, though, then just float the thing into place and sink it over the wellhead. As for the existing slick, see my response to linda j's Welcome thread. Too bad I don't do that anymore, but besides, knowing the mindset of the patch, they don't want to know the right way. We always corrected when managers said "There's Two Ways to do things here!" We said, "There's three ways to do things in the oil patch: My way, The Highway, and The Right Way!!!"

OK, I am a tinch bitter, but I think they are trying something like that anyways. I heard about this heavy dome, 450 tonnes, that they want to put on it. They probably have flexible hoses coming off that or something to a floating "pickup" ring for tankers to connect to. There are a lot of smart people there now to pick up where Transocean blew it, maybe at BP's behest though. It will be a backstabbing fest as usual I imagine. Maybe that is why I ain't into that anymore.

Edited by alpha+omega 5/1/2010 8:48 AM
mruppert
Posted 5/1/2010 8:54 PM (#19386 - in reply to #19223)

Expert

Oh dear.....the first idea was to burn it off.....which solves the problem....but puts more C02 in the atmosphere....which is just the thing we need.
I am of the mind that this event was a message to Baroque O'Bama to rescind his okay to allow off shore drilling. We (THE PEOPLE) never voted to allow this....what is Baruch thinking?????
I know what happened....with regard to the oil industry lobbying....but I still want to know what was Bullock AlaBama thinking.....that we wouldn't notice????????????????????????????????????
I notice every single nuance of what he does....dig the way Michelle was looking at him at the funeral for Dorothy Height.....the caption should have been...."C'mon Barsy, people can tell crocodile tears".
Sincerely,
Marty, Luck, Popp, Siss
Even a filthy beggar like that has a protecting angel.
 A golden-haired angel watches over him!
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/2/2010 5:15 PM (#19394 - in reply to #19386)

PhD Alumni

I watch tonight in bitter tears, as in every night now, and think of what the Kogi said, those of the 'Heart of the World': they will know when the prophecy is fulfilled when the sea rises down your way, and covers the tip of the land, where before it was not

alpha+omega
Posted 5/4/2010 4:15 AM (#19410 - in reply to #19223)

Veteran

Look like they are using both my ideas. Things will be fine eventually, but a botched cement job coupled with a defective BOP caused all the trouble... a bunch of contractors to blame? Fancy that!

Meanwhile I have bigger fish to fry. Seems my simulated bank robbery attracts IRS agents, drug dealers, and computer thieves like flies to decomposing matter. I find it interesting that the three may be the same entity in several cases. The metaphysical question is: Who is exactly entrapping who here?

Edited by alpha+omega 5/4/2010 4:21 AM
Ophiucus
Posted 5/5/2016 11:15 AM (#27518 - in reply to #19223)
Subject: Re: The Power Of Prayer

Forum Administrator

And a little more on prayer ...
Aquarius
Posted 5/7/2016 6:36 AM (#27535 - in reply to #27518)
Subject: Re: The Power Of Prayer

UMS Guest

Ophiucus - 5/5/2016 5:15 PM And a little more on prayer ...

All right, here we go:

‘The Power Of Prayer’

With love - Aquarius

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software