The Work of Byron Katie
Tracy Martin
Posted 9/3/2008 6:50 PM (#9954)
Subject: The Work of Byron Katie

Alumni

I enthusiastically and strongly recommend the work of Byron Katie. It helps us to get beyond the negativity of judgment and condemnation of ourselves and others by giving us an opportunity to look at our beliefs.

http://www.thework.com/thework.asp  This is the home page
http://www.thework.com/downloads/JudgeYourNeighbor.pdf  These are the self-tests.
http://www.thework.com/downloads/instructions_for_thework.pdf
http://www.thework.com/downloads/onebelief.pdf

I have found this process to be really helpful to me in my thoughts,especially when I feel myself getting into painful states of anger and judgment. There are also several videos of Byron doing this work with others on her website and YouTube.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Joseph
Posted 9/4/2008 6:25 AM (#9965 - in reply to #9954)
Subject: RE: The Work of Byron Katie

PhD Alumni

Thanks for taking the time to post this Tracy. I shall get to Work !

Looks interesting
Tracy Martin
Posted 9/4/2008 11:32 PM (#9980 - in reply to #9954)

Alumni

UMS students may recall that on the exam for the Inner Child course, you were asked to present three negative beliefs you have had about reality. Consider what is under that belief, and what is the opposite belief, and how you would be if you did not believe that negative belief. Your reality is how you view the world and yourself.

For example, I believe that I attract good, thoughtful, kind people into my life.
But I could believe that I attract selfish, thoughtless people, or mean people. 
I look out in the world with these lenses of perception...based on my beliefs that I have been taught and beliefs I have developed.  Rarely do I see the present moment and present reality without my filters.  I am addressing adults and not dependent children.

Our perspective expands. We recognize how we have created and continued our negative beliefs, we realize that we project those beliefs outward and see them reflected back to us (kind of like selective hearing!) we see how our beleifs have affected our bodies, emotions, relationships, our life.  

This is really meaningful to me because I had developed a pretty harsh inner Judge and Critic from childhood, primarily focused on my own failings and flaws. The Work is one of compassionate and wise understanding for oneself and others, it asks for your honest observations of yourself, but not to punish or shame or blame you.
Paul Joseph
Posted 9/5/2008 6:35 AM (#9985 - in reply to #9980)

PhD Alumni

Thanx Tracy; for those of us who operate in such complex and dark modes those illuminations of forgiveness are so very welcome, yet also equally very diffiicult to sustain as our inner demons (the only place where demons are, most probably!), tend to be every effective at distorting them (the illuminations) the moment they threaten to take some positive hold, permanent dispelling of the shadows in the mountains of our self-doubt ...
searching
Posted 9/7/2008 5:24 PM (#10056 - in reply to #9954)

Regular

thank you for this post. i have found it very useful.
Blessings
Jerry
Tracy Martin
Posted 9/10/2008 6:51 PM (#10111 - in reply to #9954)

Alumni

So glad you guys are finding this work helpful!

When we find ourselves in a storm of anger and judgment, it may be helpful to ask ourselves these questions which Byron Katie has presented:

Is it true?
Is it absolutely true?
How am I, how do I act, when I believe this to be true?
Who would I be, how would I be, if I did not believe this?

For example, for many years I had a certain judgment about one of my sons and I was able to completely let go of that judgment using these questions. I would prefer to think of him with a nurturing and confident love! What happened was more than I expected. In giving up this judgment without even telling him anything about it, I saw incredibly positive and creative changes in his behavior and attitude. It was as if on the inner planes my judgment was creating a kind of prison for him and for me. Now I can honor his path, his energy, and his beauty in a new way! 

This method of inquiry can free us from constant self criticism as well!
As you can see, I am enthusiastic about this work and I hope that many of you will benefit from it as well.

Tracy Martin
Posted 9/11/2008 11:51 AM (#10137 - in reply to #9954)

Alumni

This morning I was thinking...circumstances that feel stressful to us... it is in what we think (judge) about them that causes more internal stress. 
Paul Joseph
Posted 9/11/2008 12:03 PM (#10138 - in reply to #10137)

PhD Alumni

Agree so much with all you are saying here Tracy;

those of us with highly over-active super-egos live at precarious heights (and lows) of self-blame, attack & persecution ... I had vivid past life events in these areas ... I found also the UMS course on Radical Forgiveness very very helpful and 'easy' to apply, though by that I do not mean, easy !!

That, and Karmic work seemed to make more opportunity for healing, btw, than my more psychological/analytical approaches

Namaste

Edited by Paul Joseph 9/11/2008 12:05 PM
Tracy Martin
Posted 9/11/2008 12:31 PM (#10143 - in reply to #9954)

Alumni

What has been working for me..I have a LOT of tools...(I still suffer from a kind of low grade chronic depression- biochemical, but it is no longer major chronic depression!) is letting go of ALL my thoughts. First I say, this is just a thought, a story, and somehow the thought or story drops, until another one comes up and I do it all over again. Meditations and mantra repetition also help. And, in the course on Emotional Well Being the meditations teach how to shift our emotional tone up. Then, do something else. I have also addressed this challenge nutritionally and there are many foods (sugar) that do not help me at all.

Paul Joseph
Posted 9/11/2008 12:33 PM (#10144 - in reply to #10143)

PhD Alumni

Yes. The meditations are a wonder. Must do them more, again. And again !!

We are complex entities xx
Tracy Martin
Posted 9/11/2008 3:58 PM (#10173 - in reply to #9954)

Alumni

And, back to Byron Katies work, I can use her questions to address some of my negative and painful thoughts.

For example: (And, I am using a lesser example here, I have many far more painful self-attacking thoughts!)

I am ugly.

Is that true?
Well, a little...
Is it absolutely true?
Nah.
How do you feel when you believe that thought?
Unwanted, unattractive, lonely, sad, (on and on ad nauseum!)
How would you feel without that thought?
Relaxed, comfortable, at ease, confident, spontaneous, happy!

Hmmm. Let me choose my reality here....

Rose
Posted 9/12/2008 8:13 AM (#10182 - in reply to #10111)

Student

Tracy, I can see why you would be enthusiastic about this work. The questions that are posed here breeed great inner reflection.

Something I was reminded of the other day....I believe it was Henry Ford that said, "Whether you believe you can or can't, either way you are correct."

If you believe, as I do that we are capable of healing our existence, our relationships with healing light...we can.

Everyone's been in a stir about the coming hurricane in TX, and right after 9/11.....almost seems as though the storm is a physical manifestation of the mental state of people always expecting another disaster around this time. And there is a pending disaster manifesting.

If we were to look at the basic philosophy of "the secret" it would seem that too many negative thought energies has produced looming doom.

I want to send some warmth, light and healing thoughts to all those in harms way. Praying for divine intervention to soften the blow, and for a birth of positive energy to follow regardless of what may come their way.

Love, Light and Peace to all who pass this way.
Rose
Posted 9/12/2008 8:17 AM (#10183 - in reply to #10173)

Student

Yes, Tracy...it's the thoughts we must learn to control. Kick the bad out and put the good fertile thoughts in!

We have something like 60,000 thoughts a minute. Most we aren't even aware of...

You're Beautiful T! I really like what you're posting here. And when I get some more free time I'm going to research more of this work you've introduced here.

Love, Peace and Light to you..