We Won't Be Humbled! (off topics and themes)
mruppert
Posted 8/28/2008 1:54 PM (#9788)
Subject: We Won't Be Humbled! (off topics and themes)

So say the feetball fans of the Humboldt State Jacks; rocking ArCATa as they open their season on Saturday against the Sacramento State Hornets. Good luck to the Lumberjacks!

Good times in ArCATa!!!! (Except the game is in Sacramento)

Meanwhile the Terrapins of UM also open this Saturday against that supermegametropolis of the East Coast.....the University of Delaware. The Terps take on "The Fightin' Blue Hens" Yes, indeed, the Blue Hens......and, we will probably lose!

Oh the humiliation!

Peace and Love to Ar Cats, et al

Marty and Mar Cats, Lucky, Poppy, and Sissy

Top of the page Bottom of the page
mruppert
Posted 8/29/2008 12:10 AM (#9798 - in reply to #9788)
Subject: RE: We Won't Be Humbled!-For Kalifornians Interest

.......changed the title so that only the supplicants of the goddess of Kali-fornia, and ArCATians, home of UMS (forget about MinnySoda), will see! And, if there are any Hornets fans...tough toe nails....BUT BUT BUT BUT if there are any UKal fans.........we (The UM Terrapins) play you guys in three weeks......though we will be starting our regular quarterback, you might just feel the rays of light from our Kali born and raised 2nd string quarterback, Chris Turner, whom we call "Sunshine".....we are heavily into the Kali mystique!

When my school plays UKal, it will be on nationwide tv...I hope you all will join me in our third humiliation....we don't have a chance! Why should you watch? WELLLLLLL....UKal plays in College Park, Maryland! This is where I work except our address is Adelphi, to distinguish the two U's that share the campus. However, the primary thing is that you get to see Maryland fans...the most vulgar, violent, and ugly fans ever!!!!!!!!!! YouTube us and judge for yourselves!

Why we think this to be an asset escapes me! Why we take pride in this behavior is unknown!

Why we cannot "officially" sing Gary Glitter's Rock n' Roll Part II  is purely a Maryland thing...and very ugly!!!!!!!!! 

Go ArCATa Humboltd LumberingJacks,

Marty and His Terrapinal Cats, Luck, Popp, and Sisssss

Supernatural3
Posted 8/29/2008 8:21 AM (#9809 - in reply to #9788)
Subject: RE: We Won't Be Humbled! (off topics and themes)

PhD Alumni

I rarely ever watch sports on TV. While I do go to my kids games (she is a cheerleader). So right now I am scheduling to go to Ohio's Akron University "Zips". Zippy is a Kangaroo. Where they got that mascot, who knows. LOL

My other kid goes to Mount Union College and their team is pretty good. But, since my kid isn't cheering, I pretty much get out of going.

I will start playing Volleyball again. Massively need to move and get blood flow. It's too easy sitting all day long.

Enjoy the games.... 
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/29/2008 8:32 AM (#9812 - in reply to #9809)

PhD Alumni

Some of us UK- folk might not get these various USA references Marty! So, thanks Jill, your post has evoked some free associations for me to join in with for a laugh ... maybe we cannot sing the certain ex-pop star songs in view of recent sub judice matters over here(!) ... as for lumberjacks, my father, when bored with being in the merchant navy (merchant marine as I believe you say over there) in Canada, late 1940s, jumped ship and lumberjacked in the logging camps there .. always made me think I ought to visit Vancouver ... Kangaroos could be a secret reminscing link back to Winnie the Pooh Board times DocJ, - Kanga and Roo and Piglet too !!!
Rose
Posted 8/29/2008 9:09 PM (#9826 - in reply to #9809)

Student

Kangaroos are wonderful Doc!

You sound in good spirits! Glad you're around and doing well.

Love and Peace to you....
Rose
Posted 8/29/2008 9:11 PM (#9827 - in reply to #9812)

Student

Lumberjacking! I bet he learned a great deal and had a great time with his lumber mates....

Wonder what life was like after a long day? Did they set up camps or travel back home on company trucks? Isn't like going to the office 9 to 5....

Love and Peace to you Paul....
mruppert
Posted 8/29/2008 9:57 PM (#9828 - in reply to #9788)

Hola Pablo....the post was really aimed at "the Caliph or nuns" that might be on the board and any ArCATs who are hepcats, dig?

Peace and Love,

Marty and Catara, Luck, Popp, and Siss

P.S. Take that...Tracio Martino

Paul Joseph
Posted 8/30/2008 5:55 AM (#9832 - in reply to #9828)

PhD Alumni

Did dig the shindig Marty-o old bean ... but just wanted to join in as best I could ... show willin', dontcha know ! !

And Rose ... don't know as they could have trucks in those days in the forest ... ?
mruppert
Posted 8/30/2008 7:58 PM (#9843 - in reply to #9788)

Jilly...your Zips got zapped today. It looks like you got "Badgered"!

My beloved Turtles managed to defeat the BlueHens of powerhouse Delaware! I think the score (14-7) bodes ill for the Maryland Terrapins. We looked bad in the face of a relatively minor team compared to the ACC schedule.

The NO surprise of the day was OSU v Youngstown......did Youngstown think they might pull off another Appalachian State miracle.......jeez.....Appalachian State's defeat of Michigan WAS a miracle......people just don't see it.....but it happened just the same!

Paul.....I love the fact that you would even give time to an Americal sport like college football....I am a fan of Brital soccer (football) and rooted for Chelsea over ManU in the Premier Cup....for me, college football is not necessarily about the sport or the game...it is about our respective schools....I'd like to think that all students, faculty, administrators take pride in their respective schools...and, in some way, want them to be better.

I believe this to also be true of UMS.....wouldn't it be nice to be considered the premier school for a metaphysical education? And, wouldn't it also be nice to know that the reputation comes from a sincere, unshakeable, fundamental, foundation?

Peace and Love Profound,

Marty and Lucky, Poppy and Sissygirl

Paul Joseph
Posted 8/31/2008 6:28 AM (#9849 - in reply to #9843)

PhD Alumni

Right on Marty ... UMS is though, isn;t it ?!

I mean

'Simply the Best' ?!

mruppert
Posted 8/31/2008 7:44 AM (#9850 - in reply to #9788)

Hi Paulster Pollster:

In my research in re "metaphysical" schools, UMS ranks number one by the standards that I used. These "standards" might be biased, but I needed a criteria and it had to be strict.

The way UMS does things approaches the USM-UMUC model, and I say quite proudly that UMUC is the best "on line" fully accredited univerisity in the world!

Whereas I think it would enhance UMS to have a "library"; the founder disagrees with me. But that is only a minor point, as UMS is not seeking traditional accreditation. For univerisities, libraries have great significance, whether they be in a brick 'n' mortar boxes, or online.

Dr. Breeze cannot know what UMS will be many years from now....but she can know that it will not "go away".

P&L,

Marty, Luckster, Poppster and the SissyGirl   

Paul Joseph
Posted 8/31/2008 7:52 AM (#9851 - in reply to #9850)

PhD Alumni

Hello Marty-O .....

..... as you will know by now, my UK HE (Higher Education) background also gives me a perspective, dare I say, an 'informed' one (the course I managed got into the national top 10) ! ... though problematically, the UK & US contexts are different ... we also have over here 'league tables', normally put about by such august newspapers as The Times and The Guardian;

UMS have themselves interesting things to say about all this on other parts of the site, so will not repeat that.

I can only say for myself, as I have before, that I feel you and I resonate on this one; I do think that the UMS offering is unique - academic learning, spiritual teaching, healing methodologies, self-directed learning, creativity, etc, with, as much as is possible long distance, some kinds of quality assurance mechanisms.

I had searched for such a course for years, actually.

Long may it - WE - continue !

ps, isn't it, Breese, or did you punningly deliberately mispell? Sea-Breeze (C Breese) is, I believe, a passable & refreshing cocktail (vodka and grapefruit): one day we may drink it together ! x

Also: blessings, health, happiness & continuing recovery, dear Dr Breese

Namaste
Pauly Pablio

Edited by Paul Joseph 8/31/2008 7:56 AM
mruppert
Posted 8/31/2008 8:07 AM (#9852 - in reply to #9788)

Ohhhhhh........BTW......the Sacramento Hornets stung the Lumberjacks, 45-13! No joy in ArCATa!

Marty and Touchdowncats, Luck, Popp, and Siss

Paul Joseph
Posted 8/31/2008 12:34 PM (#9856 - in reply to #9852)

PhD Alumni

BTW - hope you enjoyed or are enjoying your imbibing ! Marty
Mother of an Angel
Posted 8/31/2008 2:00 PM (#9859 - in reply to #9788)

Marty-

Even though football is a great sport, Hockey is the true sport of Minnesota. I guess that's why Minnesota is called the "State of Hockey" . I think we may have more hockey teams (especially college) in our state than any other. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm always up for a challenge. This may sound odd since I live in Minnesota, but I'm NOT a U of M Gopher fan whether it be football, hockey or any other sport. They get way too much hype in Minnesota. You know it's bad when you go to a local sports store and they have more Gopher items than of the local college that has a division one hockey team. So, with all of that said, I can't wait for the Minnesota Hockey season to start (by the way, it's official start is 39 days away)! Yes, I'm obsessed with Hockey!

Hope you enjoy the football season and your favorite teams do well!

Blessings,
Robin
Supernatural3
Posted 8/31/2008 3:08 PM (#9860 - in reply to #9788)

PhD Alumni

I guess I really do not get into football at all. If I actually watch a game, it will be the famous Ohio State, bashing the crap out of Michigan (wink). that is the extent of my game watching. However, I did watch the Olympics.... Loved watching Volleyball, Gymnastics, Swimming and Track. Gymnastics is my favorite. 

I haven't seen any Zips games yet (I will) as my daughter is a freshman and will only cheer home games. Most likely i won't watch the game, but just watch the cheerleaders as accustomed to. (it's the mom in me).

We have a Minnesota in the US? ha ha ha  j/k....... due to my lack of watching sports on TV, I only attended local High school games and now just learning the college stuff. I really had no idea that MN was the hockey state. 

To be honest, I am such a nerd, that I spend most my time either building or fixing pc's, paranormal investigating, reading, writing or taking the kids somewhere. 65% of my time is spent in forums, like this one and a couple others. Somewhere in there I am supposed to work, but doesn't happen that often. LOL -Ohhh yeah, I also multi-task, i would say nearly several hours a day, I am on the phone, listening to how pathetic my friends lives are, while feeling guilty that I have such a great life. Of all my time, I always make sure I have time to give attention to my husband. I never want to just take for granted that he is happy.

Go Buckeyes and Zips  )

mruppert
Posted 8/31/2008 6:59 PM (#9863 - in reply to #9788)

You'd still look good in the cheerleader suit cos' your Jilly!

Paul Joseph
Posted 9/1/2008 4:10 AM (#9872 - in reply to #9859)

PhD Alumni

Hello & welcome Angel's Mother !

In England we have Rugby, or Rugger, which is a little like your American football but without padding, and Soccer, wherein a ball is kicked & hands are prohibited.

It is said that Rugby is a rough game played by gentlemen, where soccer is a gentle game played by ruffians.

As you will see, even in sport we have our class divisions !!
Paul Joseph
Posted 9/1/2008 4:10 AM (#9873 - in reply to #9859)

PhD Alumni

Hello & welcome Angel's Mother !

In England we have Rugby, or Rugger, which is a little like your American football but without padding, and Soccer, wherein a ball is kicked & hands are prohibited.

It is said that Rugby is a rough game played by gentlemen, where soccer is a gentle game played by ruffians.

As you will see, even in sport we have our class divisions !!
Paul Joseph
Posted 9/1/2008 9:21 AM (#9875 - in reply to #9860)

PhD Alumni

An afterthought reflection here ... getting back onto the metaphysical topics and themes, if indeed we can ever be off them ! ...

I'm not a big fan of ball games either, and this may have been a cunningly disguised trail sewn by Marty ... 'cos don't ball games have metaphysical - or perhaps quasi-religious - origins of some kind ? I am thinking of the Maya ball games played in the sacred temples, for example ... ?
mruppert
Posted 9/4/2008 9:17 PM (#9975 - in reply to #9875)

Well.......way to go PJ!

There is the "Hail Mary" pass, and the team at Notre Dame has a stadium that has "Touchdown Jesus" looking into it.

Games are always filled with "taboo" influences.....such as the legendary "The Doomsday Defense"...probably the most significant, since the particular lineup did, indeed, do things that "normal" defenses could not do, and did so consistently...so it was neither skill nor luck....it was the taboo!

Then there was Earl "Thunderfoot" Weaver, who was particularly adept at kicking long field goals. Was it skill, or the name?

Not to sure about sports in other countries, but I think a strong case can be made that Americal sports are very much steeped in many things metaphysical, and manifest superstitions, totems and taboos galore. Ripe for metaphysical study....except for the barrier of "nerds" vs. "jocks".

Peace & Love,

Marty and GridironGirls, Lucky, Poppy, and Sissy

Paul Joseph
Posted 9/5/2008 6:12 AM (#9983 - in reply to #9975)

PhD Alumni

Indeed. I believe - but am open to correction - that in the ball games of the Maya the captain of the winning team was given the honour of being sacrificed to the Sun.

It is also said that football (soccer) orginated when the ancient Celts played with the heads of their enemies, especially since heads were considered sacred items ... wasn't there a science fiction film some years back that predicted future games of life and death in such ways (was it Rollerball with James Caan, not sure?) ... and then of course there is the harking back to the Coliseum of ancient Rome, actual games of blood, Centurions, and Christian martyrs being torn apart by lions. I also always felt sorry for the wild animals as many were slaughtered in such scenes. Sorry, this is getting a little bit macabre; but it may explain something of our cultural fascination with horror films. Better stop there before I upset anyone any more !

Edited by Paul Joseph 9/5/2008 6:38 AM
mruppert
Posted 9/5/2008 9:51 PM (#10001 - in reply to #9788)

Okay....but try to keep some separation....the mass spectator sport is in one place with a certain mythos....the horror film has another mythos all together. However, I aqree with you to the extent that the underlying passion is a shared penchant!

P&L,

M and C's L, P, and Ssssss