Almost Ready to Sign up!
Jeremiah K
Posted 8/27/2008 11:29 AM (#9764)
Subject: Almost Ready to Sign up!

Student

Hey everyone!

My name is Jeremiah and I am planning on signing up for UMS very soon. However, before I agree to send forth my hard-earned money, I just want to ask a question or maybe a few.
So, this school looks pretty good. It seems to teach on a lot of different things and I like that. But, well, I guess im not too sure yet...
I mean, I could go to google and find A LOT of information on almost every subject the school offers. I do that all the time and I am constantly researching and learning new things.
Along with google, theres forums where I can ask questions and there will be people there to talk to and help me out.
The courses from UMS will give me a .pdf file on the subject and then some meditiation sessions and I will have to take exams. Then in the end I will get my D.D or my Ph.D or the such.
So what makes this different than google besides me paying the money and getting the degree? I don't see many people on these forums at all, and how do I even know people actually go to this school?
I'm not trying to say you are all liars or anything like that!
It's just, money is a little tight lately and I am not doing this for a new job or for money or anything like that, its completely personal.
Please try to ease my worries, I really hope this isn't just another mill.

Thanks for your time!
Namaste!
-Jeremiah
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/27/2008 4:15 PM (#9765 - in reply to #9764)
Subject: RE: Almost Ready to Sign up!

PhD Alumni

This may be something for the School to answer Jeremiah.

To reflect back to you your questions, have you drilled down into this Board? There have been lots of debates and answers to your questions on previous threads.

I might suppose that students are busy studying, as i was, with insufficient extra time to spend it on the Board.

The awards are not automatic: you have to study, pass exams, submit coursework, have it graded, and earn your certificates. Any course anyway, anywhere in the world , requires payment. UMS requires less financial payment than most. It requires sincerity of intention though, is my feeling.

But few courses combine academic work, with meditation and personal growth and healing.

The decision is yours.

Decide wisely.

Edited by Paul Joseph 8/27/2008 4:16 PM
Tracy Martin
Posted 8/27/2008 5:51 PM (#9769 - in reply to #9764)

Alumni

Hi Jeremiah! Welcome and enjoy the Board. The number of enrolled students at UMS is now over 2000. The degrees that are offered are considered religious degrees and so are not the same as academic degrees from secular colleges which may qualify you to be a doctor or an engineer. As far as I know, "diploma mills" do not provide much knowledge or experience or challenge. There are exams for each course, and a thesis and dissertation is required in the Masters and doctorate level. There are a few who are not able to meet our requirements, just like in any other school.

The program provides a truly intriguing metaphysical learning experience that many have found transformative and supportive of their personal spiritual path.  Please do read through the Discussion Board and the website, try out the meditations, read sample portions of the courses, listen to Christine Breese on YouTube.

Use your resources to provide a meaningful life experience for yourself, your loved ones, your community. For some, giving attention to these kinds of subjects and giving oneself the opportunity for personal growth through UMS courses has been profoundly meaningful. We trust in your intuitive wisdom and soulful passion to decide what is best for you.

Welcome!

Jeremiah K
Posted 8/27/2008 6:19 PM (#9770 - in reply to #9764)

Student

Thanks, both of you!
Yeah, i have been reading up on the boards and have studied the website quite a bit.
Guess I just kind of had a freak before... lots of stuff goin on.
I'm already set on going, there was definatly a force which attracted me to the UMS website and I still feel it every time I go there.
And I do understand the difference between the school and others.
I think, if I can even remember for what reason I posted this topic before, my reason for posting it was more based around me finding other schools that had people to talk to and the such, so it kind of shocked me that there really isn't discussion much here. But there is reply after the written experiences.
haha, oh my gosh, a little realization on my part.. I really am sorry about posting a rediculous question when there was no need!
You two have a great day!

Tracy Martin
Posted 8/27/2008 6:29 PM (#9771 - in reply to #9764)

Alumni

Hi! Your questioning is perfectly appropriate. I love UMS students, I get to read their personal experiences of meditations and exercises. I watch some grow, some take off like rockets! I read many intriguing and exciting experiences, and I love watching the progress of students as they become more confident in their own intuition and connection to higher Self.

The discussion Board is not everyone's favorite place to connect with one another. We also have another website starlightjournal.com that you might look at. I suppose on-line connections are challenging and not as satisfying as person to person, that is the drawback of distance learning. Personally I would love it if more enrolled students were involved with the Discussion Board.

Peace! Jeremiah!
mruppert
Posted 8/27/2008 6:51 PM (#9774 - in reply to #9764)

That's funny....I was very close to enrolling last night...very very close!

P&L,

Marty and Metacats, Luck, Popp and Sissel

Tracy Martin
Posted 8/27/2008 6:57 PM (#9777 - in reply to #9764)

Alumni

Come on in Marty!

Paul Joseph
Posted 8/28/2008 4:05 AM (#9781 - in reply to #9777)

PhD Alumni

Absolutely ... there's no such thing as a silly question .. I asked lots before I enrolled, but more by e-maioing the School directly, and staff were always helpful, obliging and frank. It's maybe also a little different over here as i am in the UK. Anyhow, I have done the courses for my own interest, enlightenment, and to provde a more disciplined focus/frameowkr for my spiritual, professional & academic pathways and am very glad I did ! No regrets, having completed the whole process ... still learning, still a beginner, and wondering about whether to try to get more involved with Starlight now ... !

Blessings
Paul
Supernatural3
Posted 8/28/2008 7:12 PM (#9791 - in reply to #9764)

PhD Alumni

I personally chose to educate myself in this program due to already educating myself in another similar program, that seemed to fall off the face of the Earth. I wanted a popular place, where people could locate my name as a graduate. As one can here.

I also realize that secular colleges are thousands of thousands of dollars, not just a couple k.

With what I learned, i felt my money was well worth every cent. I feel i can relax about things that used to wig me out. Funny thing is, I am using my school studies as a career.

I have both secular and non secular education. Both are beneficial.... Both teach valuable life lessons. This one is just for a personal conclusion, that may even open the door for what you want to do with your entire life. As that is what it did for me.

What ever you choose, be happy with it.
Blessings~

mruppert
Posted 8/28/2008 8:16 PM (#9795 - in reply to #9777)

I'm gonna ask DocJ a question or two and then....we shall see!
Jeremiah K
Posted 8/29/2008 2:23 AM (#9804 - in reply to #9764)

Student

Thanks everyone for the replies.
I have made up my mind and within the next week I will be applying as a student.
If I have any questions or comments you'll be sure to see me on these boards.

Namaste
Supernatural3
Posted 8/29/2008 7:49 AM (#9807 - in reply to #9764)

PhD Alumni

I like your Wayne Dyer quote. I have listened to some of his audio books. They made a lot of sense. You will like it here....

Blessings~
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/30/2008 6:04 AM (#9834 - in reply to #9807)

PhD Alumni

Agree, great quote. Thanks for that x

Inspired me to toss in another quotation or two on judging, to stir the pot a little more ...

G I Gurdjieff, in one of his epithets, said

"Judge others by yourself and you will rarely be mistaken"

Maybe also a little bit like one of is student's maxims, J G Bennet, who also said

"We judge others by their actions and ourselves by our intentions"

As well as the famous Biblical,

"Judge not that ye be not judged"

And Jesus' one about removing the beam in one's own eye before seeking to take out the mote in another's

Blessings
Paul

Edited by Paul Joseph 8/30/2008 6:05 AM
Jeremiah K
Posted 9/2/2008 1:22 PM (#9929 - in reply to #9764)

Student

I find a lot of Wayne Dyer very interesting. Thanks for those other quotes!
I just filled out an enrollment form and got everything set up and am now just waiting on my few emails to get everything rolling, so yay!
Can't wait to begin this journey!

Namaste!
Paul Joseph
Posted 9/3/2008 4:17 AM (#9949 - in reply to #9929)

PhD Alumni

Congratulations J ... enjoy the journey ... you won't have any regrets ! Have you seen the You Tube recent interview with Christine ? Interesting.
mruppert
Posted 9/5/2008 9:40 PM (#10000 - in reply to #9929)

Welcome JeremiahBullFrog....I am as new as you!

Peace Profound,

Marty and Cats, Luck, Popp and Sissssss

Jeremiah K
Posted 9/6/2008 3:33 AM (#10008 - in reply to #10000)

Student

mruppert - 9/5/2008 8:40 PM

Welcome JeremiahBullFrog....I am as new as you!

Peace Profound,

Marty and Cats, Luck, Popp and Sissssss

Hah! Thanks for the bullfrog comment I think I hear that song more than any other person on the face of the earth. lol.
Congrats for signing up and I wish you an exciting journey. The material has definatly proven to be pretty interesting so far!
Paul Joseph
Posted 9/6/2008 6:00 AM (#10014 - in reply to #10000)

PhD Alumni

Well done for taking the plunge both, may I say ... !

Edited by Paul Joseph 9/6/2008 6:01 AM
Supernatural3
Posted 9/7/2008 3:24 AM (#10023 - in reply to #9764)

PhD Alumni

Welcome to some good learning!

As I promised, should anyone need help, just give us a shout. I personally will do my best to help if I can in any way.

Blessings~
Lightdancer
Posted 9/7/2008 10:53 AM (#10031 - in reply to #9764)

Student

Hello Jeremiah, Marty and UMS'ers! I too am seriously considering this path, and just sent a comment via the Contact Us page. I'll surf the boards here, as well. This does make me feel a little more comfortable seeing recent dates on the board topics!

Namaste'!
Jeremiah K
Posted 9/7/2008 1:05 PM (#10034 - in reply to #10031)

Student

Lightdancer - 9/7/2008 9:53 AM

Hello Jeremiah, Marty and UMS'ers! I too am seriously considering this path, and just sent a comment via the Contact Us page. I'll surf the boards here, as well. This does make me feel a little more comfortable seeing recent dates on the board topics!

Namaste'!

Yeah, I think the under-active forum was one of the cons on my pros and cons list when deciding to sign up. We could change that!
Supernatural3
Posted 9/7/2008 1:52 PM (#10035 - in reply to #9764)

PhD Alumni

The forum will go in spurts.... Sometimes it will be super active, and sometimes it will have some peace about it. The more people that participate, the more active it will become.

Many lurkers though..... at least they may enjoy what is written.

Blessings~
Lightdancer
Posted 9/7/2008 2:15 PM (#10039 - in reply to #9764)

Student

I was just over on the http://www.starlightjournal.com which was down earlier today and looks like it was down for awhile. I'll just keep poking around until I feel comfortable, kinda like nesting...
Jeremiah K
Posted 9/7/2008 3:02 PM (#10040 - in reply to #10039)

Student

Lightdancer - 9/7/2008 1:15 PM

I was just over on the http://www.starlightjournal.com which was down earlier today and looks like it was down for awhile. I'll just keep poking around until I feel comfortable, kinda like nesting...

Yeah, I don't think she keeps that very up-to-date either. If the starlight journal was updated more and there was more participation here I think there'd be a lot more interest and signup for UMS. If I find UMS to be worthwhile in my life I will definatly stick around here for a long time to come. And so far the first few courses are turning out pretty good!
Lightdancer
Posted 9/7/2008 3:40 PM (#10046 - in reply to #9764)

Student

Hello again, Jeremiah!

I'm sure they are all very busy with their lives. I know I am. I just took today to free-form my day and soul and happened upon UMS, secondary to looking for metaphysical art which was secondary to listening to Z's "Water Sines" very meditative/trace music. I have been a metaphysicist of sorts for many, many years, and had alway hoped for a formal program of study and certification. Everything I had seen in past years that was even close was either wacky (in my estimation) or too tightly bound to a particular dogma. This looks to be more closely related to what I was looking for.

Being an online citizen, as I'm guessing you are, we are pretty used to a lot of forum interaction. Looks like there are a few souls here that are too, but not as many as I'm used to either. Like you said, maybe we can be a conduit for change in that area! We'll see.

I'm signing off now to enjoy the rest of my day computer-less. Hope you have a great one too, and I'd love to hear more about your impression of the lessons!

Paul Joseph
Posted 9/7/2008 3:48 PM (#10049 - in reply to #10046)

PhD Alumni

Aah now then ... when I was doing the courses, they were too engrossing to be an active Board participant; so I would suggest the quality of the courses cannot be judged by the interaction of the Board, or Starlight: the converse might in fact be the case. Also there are a lot of people, visible ('registered users') or invisible (nor registered observers), some of whom are students and some not.

So actually, this Board, Starlight & UMS have quite different constituencies and purposes.

I as Jill says of herself, am more than happy to offer help and support to any; but also, the decision whether to enrol or not is an individual's. This is a path of learning and enlightenment, not a cult, not that I am saying you are saying it is; but it is about freedom, acquiring personal freedom through spiritual choice of one;s own path.

Not that I am an Aleister Crowley follower, but as he said, 'Do what thou wilt'

Or as a much older source, St Augustine said,

"Love God, and do what you wish"

Blessings & Namaste

ps Lightdancer - that music sounds good ... will try to track it down

Edited by Paul Joseph 9/7/2008 4:03 PM
Jeremiah K
Posted 9/7/2008 5:00 PM (#10054 - in reply to #10049)

Student

Paul Joseph - 9/7/2008 2:48 PM

Aah now then ... when I was doing the courses, they were too engrossing to be an active Board participant; so I would suggest the quality of the courses cannot be judged by the interaction of the Board, or Starlight: the converse might in fact be the case. Also there are a lot of people, visible ('registered users') or invisible (nor registered observers), some of whom are students and some not.

So actually, this Board, Starlight & UMS have quite different constituencies and purposes.

I as Jill says of herself, am more than happy to offer help and support to any; but also, the decision whether to enrol or not is an individual's. This is a path of learning and enlightenment, not a cult, not that I am saying you are saying it is; but it is about freedom, acquiring personal freedom through spiritual choice of one;s own path.

Not that I am an Aleister Crowley follower, but as he said, 'Do what thou wilt'

Or as a much older source, St Augustine said,

"Love God, and do what you wish"

Blessings & Namaste

ps Lightdancer - that music sounds good ... will try to track it down

I completely understand. I was just saying that, for some, it's a little less inviting to sign-up for an online school if one does not see any activity, so I think it may affect some people. I, for one, think that if someone was meant to go to UMS or it was the right school for them they will end up signing up regardless, as I did. So far for all the courses there's plenty of info in the reading and in the meditations that discussion isn't needed really.
Thanks!

-Jeremiah
Card Zero
Posted 9/7/2008 8:14 PM (#10059 - in reply to #9764)

Hi, everyone!

This is Harli, one of the Starlight Journal co-admins. I'd just like to say that Starlight Journal is enjoying quite a bit of activity since its recent renewal this summer! Christine Breese and the rest of us at UMS have been working very hard to bring this community together to create the place where we can exchange our ideas and energy freely and creatively.

We already have over 100 users, many of whom post regularly in their own blogs on Starlight Journal as well as in our forums. There is new stuff on Starlight Journal every day. You can read news from the metaphysical community or post some thoughts of your own. Members are using our forums to create regional metaphysical groups, and there is a forum especially for students of UMS. Christine Breese even has her own Q & A column on the SLJ forums, so if you ever wanted to ask the UMS founder anything about life, the universe, or spirituality, here's your chance!

It's not the purpose of Starlight Journal to take anything away from this message board or website, but rather to support it. We at UMS know that community is the center of a spiritual practice, regardless of whether your calling is in healing, counseling, teaching, or simply "being in the Now." Your knowledge and experiences that you have gained as part of your spiritual journey have the power to touch lives when you share them with others. Our goal at Starlight Journal is to provide a medium for you to do so.

I encourage anyone reading this, whether you're a current UMS student, future student, or just a curious seeker, to come check out Starlight Journal. It is a very new community, and we are very excited to see what you will make from it. Iain and myself, the Starlight Journal admins, are happy to answer any questions you have!

Harli
Webmistress, Starlight Journal.com
~DEFY GRAVITY~
mruppert
Posted 9/7/2008 10:17 PM (#10061 - in reply to #10059)

Hiya Quin, hug.....good to see you again!!!!!

But, let me be blatant and honest, and please do not be offended...it is just me and the way that I am and the things that I have done.

Starkist Journal, and all the other Star????, whether they be light, ship, shine, beam, ray, cast, etc. etc. etc. are all the same! You guys bar me and spin me and link me, and cookie me to death, (and with metrics)  and that is why I don't and won't visit your sites. Click and click through revenue is MINISCULE compared to how much it costs to operate a website.

Shoutcast, a successful music site, differentiates itself in one respect.....no bs and just selection. AMAZINGLY, one of the top performers is "Otto's Baroque and Renaissance Music", the dudes who run Shoutcast never really realized how many people wanted to hear this kind of music. Others went with pure Pop muzik sites and they were wrong! And, broke! Shoutcast does quite well. Now, if they stop their "ambient" streams I would drop them like a bad habit!

My point is that  if you have something that I want I will visit your site forever and a day....you do not need to tell me that you are there....I WILL FIND YOU!

Peace and Love (esp to you Harliquinn, traveler);

Marty and Luckylee, Poppyhead, and Sissygrlll

Card Zero
Posted 9/7/2008 11:43 PM (#10065 - in reply to #10061)

Heya Marty, good to talk to you again.

No offense taken (or should I say comprehended)! I'm not sure what you're referring to with the link/spin/cookie thing, but we're all happy to see you taking part in this community in whatever respect you desire.
mruppert
Posted 9/8/2008 12:49 AM (#10069 - in reply to #9764)

Likewise, as I have never forgotten you.....let me make it clearer if I can...the site is like a million others and offers nothing of interest that cannot be found in a million other sites. Life giving Sun enters Virgo.....I am a Virgo so I read many Virgo sites...WHAT makes this different than any others that I read....and because of the Virgo network that I have we read hundreds of the millions that exist on the Internet....just to see if any are even approaching the truth....a truth we don't even know ourselves....but we gotta good idea as we are all born in Aug-Sept and are VIRGOS.

Dr. Breese had a nestegg of a tremendous concept and has executed it very well! I would hate to see the reputation demeaned by association with an entity that is common, mundane, pedestrian and ultimately exhibiting the courseness and vulgarity of the "interent mores".

She dreamed of a much finer venue.....as do I!

P&Luv

Marty and Cats, Lucky, Poppy and Sissy

mike0921
Posted 3/5/2010 10:18 PM (#18908 - in reply to #9764)

New user

It is not so much the answer I seek, for that is within, it is the question to ask which is the soughtafter...
When on your path, it leads to where your seeking.
When off your path it leads to chaos in your life.
I find little chaos here.
nameste
mike fielder
In the hills of West Virginia

Edited by mike0921 3/5/2010 10:19 PM
leo
Posted 3/6/2010 8:51 AM (#18909 - in reply to #18908)

Ph.D. Alumni

There is no doubt when one is on the chosen path, one becomes enlightened. When one is off the path we run into many speedbumps.

Welcome to the board Mike from the hills of West Virginia.