The Genotype Diet
instinctual
Posted 8/21/2008 8:21 PM (#9554)
Subject: The Genotype Diet

PhD Alumni

Dr. Peter D'Adamo, author of Eat Right For Your (Blood) Type has written a new book called The GenoType Diet. Here, he breaks humans down into 6 extremely basic archetype-genotypes, incorporating blood type into his logic.

Hunters, Gatherers,Teachers,Explorers,Warriors, and Nomads. Each has a very specific body type- ( Ectomorph, Endomorph and combinations of ) Blood types are unique in some of these groups and common in others. Other personal stats that you measure, other than your blood type are: height, length of your index and ring fingers on both hands, torso length, upper leg length, lower leg length, fingerprint characteristics, teeth and jaw descriptions and shape of head.

Example: My measurements, blood type, head shape and other characteristics "strongly" suggest that I am a Gatherer. Hence, when people roamed the earth, my genotype was one who ate rarely, so when then did...look out! Protein starved people, not too many nuts, seeds etc.

Each type comes with a list of foods broken down into categories.

Superfoods ( Foods that can actually turn off bad genes )
Foods you can have occasionally,
Foods to avoid all together.

Interestingly enough, I find that the foods that are toxic to me, I have a huge distaste for, such as chick peas. My favorite food, lamb..is a superfood. etc...favorite fruit is watermelon and that is a superfood for me also...

It potentially says alot about the meaning of cravings and having a like or a dislike for a certain food. Perhaps our innate dislikes are actually our bodies telling us that this food is "toxic" for us.

This immediately made sense to my core when I heard about it, so I rushed out, bought the book, and am following this "diet". Some foods are pretty obscure, like certain grains I have never heard of, or..emu (yikes )...but, nonetheless, I find the concept interesting and easy to swallow. ( No pun intended here )

This perhaps explains why some people can easily be vegans ( clearly they are not Gatherers ) , and why some have no problems with carbohydrates and some just gain weight looking at a piece of bread.

I would love to hear opinions of this concept, folks! My opinion is that although it may seem to some farfetched, I can see the logic. Thanks...!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Supernatural3
Posted 8/21/2008 10:21 PM (#9559 - in reply to #9554)
Subject: RE: The Genotype Diet

PhD Alumni

I would sure like to know what it say's about my type. LOL, and why I crave raw red meat.

mruppert
Posted 8/21/2008 11:52 PM (#9564 - in reply to #9554)

Hmmmm......lemme see.......

Because you are a cave-lady? I like your comic strip, BC, in the Sunday funnies!

Because you are a werewolf....didn't you say you were a Lycanthropist, no Paul said he was a Lycanthropist...no, he worked for werewolves..yeah, that's it..those heathen Metholycanthrodists!

Because you are a Cannibal? I like your song.."Land of a Thousand Dances"! By the way, how are the Headhunters? Do you guys still get together and belt out a few tunes....did you guys ever sing any other song besides "Land of a Thousand Dances"

Because you are Italian? Your maiden name is Carpaccio-Brachiolli?

Sorrry...Insty..I got carried away.....you asked a serious question....I will start again and answer in a serious manner. My apologies!

Repentant,

Marty and Humble Kitties, Luck, Popp, and Siss

mruppert
Posted 8/22/2008 1:01 AM (#9565 - in reply to #9554)

Lorseydoates:

You must have taken some course work in nutrition. You have got to know that there is no direct correlation between the qualities that Dr. D'Adamo is highlighting and proper, sound nutriitional principles.

Food for thought.....Atabascans eat a geographically "preferred" diet as do Inuits. Both groups suffer from high rates of obesity, yet one does not show the high rate of heart disease that the other does. Native Hawaiians eat a fairly poor diet, considering the abundance that they might have, and almost always suffer from certain conditions that a high fat diet would indicate. So, what is the key element?

All these guyz are in fairly closed gene pools.....you don't have too many Ethiopians, Koreans, or Salvadoreans marrying Eskimo women and creating a new gene pool. You do have many other cultures marrying native Hawaiins, and the offspring change the stats! They are healthier in many respects than their forebears. Why? Because they eat differently than the geographically, culturally preferred diet.

There are literally millions of diets, all based on different premises. If any one truly worked, we would all be following that one! While these things are innovative in presentation, clever in packaging, and sincere in intent, they are ultimately designed to do one thing....and that is make the creator of the regimen money..in some way, shape or form.

Sincere Peace, and Food for All,

Marty and Regular Food Cats, Lucky, Poppy and Sissy

P.S. I have had an argument with many a pet lover for many years who buy very expensive, name brand, designer food for their pets. I am glad that they are able to do so, but I can only afford what I can. My cats live extremely long times...thiers don't. What is the difference? I'd like to think that it is that I truly love my cats..each and every one that I have ever had. I like to think that they enjoy my company, and like sleeping on bookshelves and piles of mags and sneaking in and out of corners of artifacts, momentos and detritus. I like to think that that is true!

Tracy Martin
Posted 8/22/2008 1:03 AM (#9566 - in reply to #9554)

Alumni

I love fruit, nuts, seeds. Always wanted to eat the way I do now, which is mostly raw, fresh, organic. But I will eat just about anything if I have too. I am an opportunistic omnivore forager.
Jill would probably eat me for dinner with steak sauce.  I bet I would taste good.
My mom sent me a test to take to determine my body and food type. When she sends me the rest I will know what it means. Genotype diet sounds like a reasonable theory for why people are so different.
sunflower
Posted 8/22/2008 2:42 AM (#9575 - in reply to #9554)

Elite Veteran

hi lori,i think that concept sounds accurate,go for it if thats what you feel right,after all,we are all different in our own way,with likes and dislikes,and its only yourelf you should be caring about,by which i mean,how you look after your health,and what reonates with you.I think our body automaticaly tells us what we need,i.e.if we crave salty things,we eat salty foods,same with sweet,i think where we go wrong is the type of food we reach for in those moments,natural organic,healthy,junk food,bad for us,hence the obesity problem facing the country today,because junk food is fast,but surely,a bag of mixed nuts,seeds,are just as quick to reach for,but obviously not as appealing,or satisfying to some,as the junk food has the additives,that make us crave them,each to hois own,at the end of the day,little and often i would say,and some treats to brighten the phycological.I have since a young child been a fussy eater,and don,t eat much at all,but when i do,i like veg,fruit,seeds,but also like meat occasionaly,exept pork,not too keen on that,love turkey,chicken,lamb,but not every day on the meat side.My mum used to like raw liver,nothing else raw just liver,don,t know why,i don,t like meat undercooked,the blood on the plate turns my stomach,still as i said each to his,her own,as long as its prepared with love,what difference,love irisxx
mruppert
Posted 8/22/2008 3:03 AM (#9576 - in reply to #9554)

Okay Sunshade, I will cancel the reservation at the bat restaurant in Vietnam. I think you might have enjoyed the fried bat....it's got coconut breading on the outside; but you obviously can't drink the cup of bats blood that comes with it!

Don't feel bad, Sunburn, neither could I...I got to think that there is rabies in the blood.....the cooked bat was okay....but I wasn't to keen on drinking rabid blood.

I have eaten some very odd, strange things in life...and never had any significant problems. It is the USA diet that caused my cholesterol to sky rocket...even being careful and vigilant.

P&L,

Marty and Raw Livercats, Luck, Popp and Siss....they will do it, but not me,,,,gotta have onions and bacon all fried up with a thick flour gravy....and plenty of pepper....NO SALT!

Supernatural3
Posted 8/22/2008 3:06 AM (#9577 - in reply to #9554)

PhD Alumni

Paul Joseph
Posted 8/22/2008 12:13 PM (#9601 - in reply to #9554)

PhD Alumni

Wonder if there is any relation to Jung's Psychological Types ?

Feel we might be best to eat what's in season, and when we are hungry .... but we have become dislocated from our natural cycles. Well, I have any way!

Simplistic of me, I realize ...

Now, where's that piece of raw Mastodon I killed the other day ? ! xx

But Holy Bats how could I eat one those kinfolk ?

Edited by Paul Joseph 8/22/2008 12:16 PM
instinctual
Posted 8/22/2008 12:59 PM (#9603 - in reply to #9554)

PhD Alumni

** To start off- Dear Marty A-La Carte-y....believe it or not, no...there is not a huge nutritional presence in the bachelor nursing curriculum or in the medical school curriculum I might add, or at least there wasn't when I started nursing school in 1985 ..and also...the beauty of nursing is that it is not only a science, it is an art..regardless, I feel...in terms of new research and new models for the perfect diet..as you know, that is a multi-billion dollar industry! What I do not buy is this governmental USDA pyramid crap! I just don't understand how that can be good for everyone. If I ate the recommended servings of grains per day, I would explode..! same with fruit and vegetable servings- it would turn into sugar, I would over attempt to produce insulin to decrease my serum glucose, then crash! Of course, the same occurs with carbs, which is why I tend to stay away from them...( except for Pasta day, hehe)...and my need for low glycemic index fruits, as I tend to seriously have an aversion to sweets! I am savory, all the way. I crave crave crave protein...all day, every day...for the long slow burn....I feel energized, full and satisfied... Of course, the obvious basics, low sodium, low sat fats, zero tarns fats are sound...Anyway..I am mostly attracted to this in terms of how it attempts to break us down, somehow, and justify our needs as individuals... ... Iris, I agree with you darling, it is ultimately what works for "us" as individuals...and, a side note here...bless your mother, personally, not sure I could eat raw liver, no matter how much love went into it's preparation! Tracy, I am interested in learning more about what your mom sent to you, it sounds fascinating! Seeds and nuts make me feel like I am eating bird food...it simply does not satisfy me ( and of course my Gatherer type does not benefit from it )..... Jill..I wonder if you are type O? Paulybaby...I agree that Jung's types might just fall into this on a very basic level..something to ponder. Again, this whole thing makes sense to my innards.

Signed with love, and respect-
The Meso-endomorphic , incisor shoveled, gynic, oval faced, mesocephalic, O+....Gatherer...hhahahaa
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/22/2008 2:24 PM (#9629 - in reply to #9603)

PhD Alumni

Lady Lori of the Holy Holly Tree - I had assumed Sir Marty of Several Worthy Epithets That I Cannot Just now bring to Mind

had meant, UMS courses ... as indeed there are, I recollect from dim and distant past times

Two, at least:

One, entitled Nutrition,

and the other,

Breatharianism.

Both very illuminating xx !!

instinctual
Posted 8/22/2008 5:20 PM (#9633 - in reply to #9554)

PhD Alumni

Ah, I had not even considered the UMS courses..I ASSumed (hehe) he was referring to my nursing education, alas, I am sure Sir Martin on the Milk Carton's ears are burning hot today, and perhaps He may clarify if he so chooses!

That breatharianism course is insanely...unique!
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/23/2008 10:14 AM (#9655 - in reply to #9633)

PhD Alumni

Indeedly so, I reflect often on the Breatharianism thing and wonder if i could do it ; but did you know, I found it out later when I re-read Paramahansa's Autobiography of a Yogi, that he described one of his Yogic saints who practised that ?

( ps, the way things are going, Breatharianism may become a necessity!)

Hungrily Ever

don Yogi of the Quixotic Tummy Pooh Bear Honey Tree

Edited by Paul Joseph 8/23/2008 10:19 AM
sunflower
Posted 8/24/2008 3:47 AM (#9700 - in reply to #9655)

Elite Veteran

if i may be so bold(okay i will then) whats breatharianism,is it an exercise you do with breathing,like being still,and listening to your breath,or a club of likeminded people joined together,serious question tis,honest.As fro food,i think us humans have become obsessed with diet and labels,eg,whats in this,that,how many calories,etc,while i know and understand the need for good pure simple food,as today they haven,t half messed it up,for the food chains greed,and shelf life etc,i fear mothers may pass on this obsession to their young and impressionable daughters,and this is where anorexia starts,and all the other cruel eating disorders,and this size zero thing thats all the rage,is soooooooooooo stupid,and harmful,young girls follow fashion,and their favourite filmstars etc,they want to be just like them,so so sad,please don,t.I feel if we went back to the olden days(haha,lisen to me,granny I)i feel their diet was the helathiest,simply because the food was rationed,sugar was rare treat,and the food was plain and simple,and fresh,without todays added chemicals,etc,personaly,i like to eat what is in season,i think thats what natures message is,and why she provides fresh,every season,and i also think the colours that she provides n the food,is healing,and corresponds to our chakras,ami getting boring now,okay,stop..love light,irisx