SHOES, SHIPS, SEALING WAX....
mruppert
Posted 8/20/2008 10:22 PM (#9463)
Subject: SHOES, SHIPS, SEALING WAX....

............and whether pigs have wings!
For WaxieJaxie and Paulio....
     We had this fantastic get together some time ago, about the time when Jimmy Carter was making a bid for the Presidency of these here New Nited Steaks of Murica.
     We celebrated all things Southern. Long time friends from Catholic University came together. One of the group was a Jewish kid whose Dad was on the faculty of Catholic U. They were Jewish jews and I had been to Seder many times at their house. Anyway......we had cooked up real Southern dishes, not the stuff you see now a days on tv. One of the things we made was "Chitlins" which are officially chitterlings, pig intestines!!!!!
Well, we had to pry my Jewish friend away from the pot....he was gonna eat'em all! AND, we told him...we told him what they were!
     I guess it was a celebration of life and hope that made it okay,,,,and it was!

Peace and Pork,
Marty and Lucky, Poppy and SissyGirl

Edited by mruppert 8/20/2008 10:44 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Kiddo Green
Posted 8/20/2008 11:21 PM (#9468 - in reply to #9463)
Subject: RE: SHOES, SHIPS, SEALING WAX....

that does make me laugh a bit, Marty. People are so fussy when it comes to their rules about food. I do have to say that my vegetaraian friends (of the ones that were raised here in the good ol' USA and on a 'Merican diet) miss bacon the most of all the foods that they have had to give up. Isn't that strange? Bacon! Of all things bacon! Not a thick, richly marbled beautiful steak (sorry if I have offended any veggies in the description...), but ordinary salty, fatty, heart-stopping bacon! This is their last temptation. Sigh!

Oh, one last thing...when I was prego...uhhh. I developed a taste for kitfo..raw kitfo...it's a an ethiopian spiced ground beef dish. True, it is not recommended that pregnant women eat raw meats...whatever! I couldn't get enough; it was delicious. There is not much that can come in the way of a pregnant momma when she wants something. *titter* The restaurant owner just looked at me and I think she just knew...I came back every week for more.
mruppert
Posted 8/20/2008 11:41 PM (#9469 - in reply to #9463)

Jeez....Kiddo...you're making me hungry! In my (then) new job at UMUC, the first thing I had to do was hire an assistant....so after the interviews, decided on an Ethiopian lady (Martha) whom I work with today, in very different ways. Her Mom brings me bags of spices and coffee to this day. And Ethiopian wine and Ouzo (yes, Ouzo). I love tef and love their food!
Silly thing.....when I was taking a class at UMCP, I was walking to the Math Building and saw Martha who walked past me and didn't say a word....so I said "Hey Martha" and she turned and said "I'm Mariam, Martha is my sister"......they are exact, identical, duplicate twins.....could not, cannot and never will be able to tell the difference until they speak!!!!! No problem, Mariam is in Zambia now, getting killed for Christ.

Peace,
Marty and Dreamworld Cats
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/21/2008 8:59 AM (#9502 - in reply to #9463)

PhD Alumni

Didn't know if to post this here, or back on the thread where the pig discussions started ... decided here, in honour of Marty's story and friendships ...

... more research in Dictionary of Symbols by J E Cirlot has yielded the interesting facts about boars (not bores), that, one of Vishnu's incarnations was as a boar ... in Babylonia & other semitic cultures it was sacred ... in Celtic and Gallic legends there is always a note of distinction & positiveness about the boar... and Freyr, the Norse god peace, rode on a boar with golden bristles ... (which might have had wings too, then !)

x

Edited by Paul Joseph 8/21/2008 9:00 AM
Tracy Martin
Posted 8/21/2008 12:56 PM (#9543 - in reply to #9463)

Alumni

Were not the other Gods upset with Vishnu for loving his life as a pig? 
mruppert
Posted 8/21/2008 10:45 PM (#9562 - in reply to #9463)

Okidd.........it is the smell! Nothing like waking up to the smell of bacon frying in the big, black cast iron pan. And, its the sound! Starts out all muted and then begins to sizzle...that special sound...nothing sizzles like bacon. And, its the way bacon looks...emerges nude from the package and, when done, has a sheen of gold!

Every now and then I am able to find low sodium bacon....so I buy it....even though I shouldn't. I have had LT' w/Mayo on wheat and/or rye for Breakie and Lunch...but throw on a few strips of bacon, stick the B with the LT and man.....that is pure heaven!!!!!!!!!!!

mruppert
Posted 8/21/2008 11:25 PM (#9563 - in reply to #9463)

And PJoseph.....you are never, ever a bore though you might be boaring!

We have a company relatively close, Boars Head Meats....they make deli meats..ya know, like sliced ham, turkey, roast beef, liverwurst, salami....we call them cold cuts...don't know what they call them in Asda and Uncle Tesco's. Most people think the company is a Pennsylvania Amish owned company, and the corporate folks have never tried to dissuade anyone of this belief, BUT, the company actually started in Brooklyn, New York. where I lived most of my childhood.

They are legendary in having the best cold cuts in the USA......which is funny....as they have never ever advertised in any way shape or form....it is solely word of mouth that gives them the reputation.

My opinion, and I usually judge by one or two products in the entire product line....liverwurst and pastrami....if you take the time to make a tasty liverwurst, then you must be paying the same attention to better selling meats (most people do not care for liverwurst and shudder when they find out what it is made of) anyway, IMHO, Boars Head does, indeed, make things which are superior to other brands.

Maybe that's why they have been in business since 1902(?) I know it is over a hundred years.

However, down Kingsland Avenue was the Trunz meat packing plant......and they had the BEST liverwurst in the world...way better than their families sitting in Deutchland! I grew up eating Trunz liverwurst on "Italian" bread....from Gils Grocery....Gil was an Italian guy who had one of those "mysterious" shops...with jars and vats and bins of things that I had never seen.....like lupinis?????

Enough, I am getting hungry.......mouth watering, nay, drooling on my keyboard!

Peace in the breaking of bread with my friends, my family,

Marty and Luckylee, Poppyhead, and SissyGirl

Paul Joseph
Posted 8/22/2008 10:56 AM (#9589 - in reply to #9543)

PhD Alumni

Didn't know that about Vishnu & the other gods Tracy, thanks for the illumination .... then again, those gods are always getting upset about something !

..... all this talk of food ... (and maybe I should post this on the Food for the Soul thread) ... I have been wondering lately if we should do more to expound vegetarianism as one of the ways we can actually adopt individually to save the planet (not that I am a vegetarian, though feel I ought to be!) ... all the land we use for crops to feed animals we eat ... rather than eating the crops .... and then all that land for bio-fuels ...

.... I am also reliably informed that many long-standing vegetarians have finally cracked and given in to a bacon sandwich !!
Tracy Martin
Posted 8/22/2008 11:09 AM (#9596 - in reply to #9463)

Alumni

It doesn't seem necessary to me to eat meat every day. I may have chicken once a week or so. My choice did have more to do with animal suffering and factory farming than any health choice. I came to believe that eating animals whose bodies have been flooded with fear chemicals (additionally being fed bad food or parts of their own species and given chemical additives) may have an effect on my consciousness. I have heard the terror of veal calves and mothers as they are separated to become prey for humans. It bothers me. I have seen the terror of animals walking the plank towards their decapitation. Forgive me for being graphic, it disturbs me terribly. I have watched a rooster cry for his life, his hens, his desire for life, all so we could have a little tough meat and get rid of one too many roosters. Oh, this is a bad topic for me in the morning, makes me sob. It is my personal choice and I don't really expect others to think, feel, and do as I do, but wouldn't it be grand to stop some of the mass suffering of these animals by cutting down on the amount of meat eaten?
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/22/2008 11:11 AM (#9598 - in reply to #9596)

PhD Alumni

Sorry didn't mean to upset your day Tracy .. was just being random ... but I agree with everything you say ..

have a nice holiday x
Tracy Martin
Posted 8/22/2008 11:14 AM (#9599 - in reply to #9463)

Alumni

Ah, the world is full of things that make me weep. I'm thankful to still have a heart. 
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/22/2008 11:15 AM (#9600 - in reply to #9599)

PhD Alumni

Hmm .. indeed, the more open we are, the more our heart is exposed, and the more there is that makes us (me!) cry ! Though usually on the inside, as otherwise one would walk around and have to carry a bucketload of paper hankies !! (or just a bucket, possibly with a hole in it ... water conservation don't you know ! ha)

Edited by Paul Joseph 8/22/2008 11:17 AM
instinctual
Posted 8/22/2008 12:15 PM (#9602 - in reply to #9463)

PhD Alumni

Argh, Tracy- I feel you and I hear you...despite my carnivorous ways...I do attempt to be mindful of where the food came from, how it lived its life, it's total carbon foot print from where it began to how it ended up in front of me...
there is nothing more devastatingly sad than those baby calves....oh man...crap..
Kiddo Green
Posted 8/23/2008 11:33 PM (#9696 - in reply to #9463)

It is a touchy subject and one that makes me weary. Not the people discussing it of course, but how to make the right decision makes me tired. I feel for all those tortured animals. I do I do! And, yet, I am an omnivore. My apologies again, but I am. (I am one of those people who really does need animal protein and fat in her diet.) It is such a difficult decision and such a personal one.

What I have resigned to do is give thanks for EVERYTHING that I eat, plant, animal, mineral, you name it. I consciously thank the plant/creature and its spirit at every meal. I really do. This is the only way that I can resolve the conflict within myself... Rather than wallow in the bad feelings I choose to celebrate the bounty and gift that has been given to me.

I have also looked into buying my own farm to raise my own friendly food...but, it was too costly and I think I would actually be too 'friendly' with my food. I would have boundary issues in this case. I would end up with a lot of milk cows/goats and a chicken coop full of chickens and they would all have names. Knowing this about myself makes it even harder to make a choice between my personal health and the life of my furry/feathered friends.

Sigh!

Cara (heart of vegetarian, body of carnivore)

P.S. please don't crucify me! Just being real and honest.
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/24/2008 10:20 AM (#9704 - in reply to #9696)

PhD Alumni

Sorry Cara, I had no intention of making anyone feel guilty, tortured or at risk of crucifixion ! As i said, I also do eat meat, its just the veggie thing is something I think about and can see its benefits for the planet. We used to be virtually veggie before having kids, and cooking for others, especially little ones, means meat is a much easier option, which I recognise also. Eat well, heartily and enjoy ! As you say too, gratitude to the spirit of the animal we consume is an important concept x
Tracy Martin
Posted 8/24/2008 10:30 AM (#9707 - in reply to #9463)

Alumni

Please do not feel attacked in any way.  I know that must of us are omnivorous, and especially having read people's food preferences here on the Board, there are many meat-eaters. Humans are not true carnivores as we require fruits, vegetables, seeds, nuts too, we are omnivores, eating meat, dairy, bugs, fish, etc. From my nutritional research, it just seems that we do not need as much meat as we have in our diets, especially having it every single day of the week.

I had also been thinking lately that our ancestors probably went without food for several days at a time quite often. We get so upset and ravenous if we miss one meal! Most of us are slaves to our appetites!

Am having a wonderful time with my friends. We took a hike in the Redwood Forest across the street from my house and went to the shore. Today we will go and look at some real old and big Redwoods further north and maybe get to see some Elk!
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/24/2008 10:36 AM (#9709 - in reply to #9707)

PhD Alumni

Dear Tracy - if you see Black Elk, please give him my regards !

Keep enjoying

The Feathered One