this is a great deal for a metaphysics degree...more...
Dusty
Posted 8/3/2008 4:10 PM (#8373)
Subject: this is a great deal for a metaphysics degree...more...

Hi all...based upon all of the posts here and from what I've seen, this is a great afordable deal for a metaphysical degree. I'm currently enrolled in the University of Sedona, and while it's okay, I really wish there was more reading and studying involved.....The lessons there are almost TOO easy... Usually I equate a degree with hard work. They tell ya to read and practice 2 lessons a week, but you can usually read both and practice both(meditations) in about an hour.... While that may be fine for some, it just doesn't feel like I'm getting much of an intellectual knowledge base from the material... I'm wondering, is this university different as far as the reading requirements are concerned??? For example, the metaphysical college http://www.cms.edu/descrip.html is very expensive compared to this one and while I could never ever afford a degree program there(it's in the thousands), I think their individual courses would be a bit more challenging. For example, I think they provide you with 200 pages or so of reading material per Credit(and some classes are several credits), and you are expected to study it and get tested on it.....It just seems more challenging than what I'm doing currently. Now with this said, some of the courses can be up to $400.00 depending on how many credits there are.....
So I've been thinking about it, what I'll probably end up doing is finishing up my studies with Sedona, and then enroll in UMS here, hoping the classes are a bit more challenging, with a lot more reading and studying involved, and then maybe picking a handful of courses that interest me from the CMS metaphysical college.........

thoughts on this??
Looking forward to becoming a student here in the Winter or Spring of next year......

Top of the page Bottom of the page
instinctual
Posted 8/3/2008 10:01 PM (#8384 - in reply to #8373)
Subject: RE: this is a great deal for a metaphysics degree...more...

PhD Alumni

Hi Dusty...please check out the main page of umsonline.org under programs and retreats, then check out the links underneath it, in particular the sample courses. Some are 20 pages of reading per course, some are 70. Some include meditations and some do not. All include a test, and if there are meditations, you must verbalize your experiences. Also what can make it more intense is the number of courses you get per month, as this is also a unique concept, depending upon your payment arrangement.

I am sure a moderator can tell you more, or hopefully clarify any misinformation that I have inadvertently provided you here. Believe me, you will work. Hard. It is a labor of love, however.

Find peace upon your path!

Lori
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/4/2008 4:20 AM (#8396 - in reply to #8384)

PhD Alumni

Agreed muchly Lori
Rose
Posted 8/7/2008 2:41 AM (#8688 - in reply to #8373)

Student

Hope to see you as a student soon Dusty.

Love and Peace to you.
jaxemma
Posted 8/8/2008 9:21 PM (#8869 - in reply to #8384)

Dusty,
would some of your University of Sedona classes be 'transferable' here?
You should ask, because if its a similiar degree they could be!?
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/9/2008 9:20 AM (#8904 - in reply to #8384)

PhD Alumni

I doubt that very much Jaxemma, which is why I think this course (UMS) has its standards: I could have done in the UK a PhD by submitting all my published works in a portfolio, with a 'position statement' (I have a number of various publications); also, others use the transfer of credits or personal experience (called here, work-based learning) .. i had an offer to do one of either of those, plus other types of PhD:

However, UMS insisted I do ALL their programme, right from the beginning, as that is their rule ... and I appreciated that commitment to quality standards in higher education and it was one of the reasons that convinced me of UMS' academic rigour.

Edited by Paul Joseph 8/9/2008 9:21 AM
jaxemma
Posted 8/9/2008 9:06 PM (#8919 - in reply to #8373)

Well I think that probably makes sence!
Supernatural3
Posted 8/11/2008 2:20 AM (#8950 - in reply to #8373)

PhD Alumni

I have to agree. I had already studied metaphysics, many years, from University of Metaphysical Arts and Science. Only when I wanted to finish with them, they wanted me to be a certain religion and I did not agree with much of what they were teaching. I then found UMS and to be honest, I didn't want to have to start over, but I also felt their schooling was inexpensive compaired to others, so I did. I ended up learning much more, in an unbiased way, so that I always had the option to still choose my own religion, should I want to. It's education, that hits on many major metaphysical philosophies. If I chose then to specialize in one of my choice, I could... and I did. I personally chose to specialize in hypnosis.

Bottom line is: I learned a ton, and found peace with a path that is my own. I take it with me everywhere. It's priceless to me. I graduated several years ago, but still use the very valuable resources. The school is like family to me now. Heart felt!

Paul Joseph
Posted 8/11/2008 7:27 AM (#8970 - in reply to #8950)

PhD Alumni

Agreed DocJ; I also found doing the Bachelor's courses developed into a kind of rhythmical mantra type of evocation, so that undergoing the whole process seemed to facilitate some kind of consciousness transformation/development too
jaxemma
Posted 8/11/2008 1:06 PM (#9007 - in reply to #8373)

So I see what the course work is, but anyone wanna tell me a little bit about how the work is done, how you send it in. Does it get graded?

Tracy Martin
Posted 8/11/2008 3:38 PM (#9010 - in reply to #8373)

Alumni

HI Jaxemma!

If you are a postal student you will receive paper copies of the  courses, anywhere between a few pages and a 100, and CD copies of the meditations. Each course has a simple exam, some have exercises, some have meditations. All students can take their exams online. Postal students can mail theirs in, although it is more convenient and quicker to take the tests online. There are a few projects that will need to be mailed in. 
mruppert
Posted 8/13/2008 1:11 AM (#9066 - in reply to #8373)

Sailorgirl,
     I  have vast experience in distance education, moreso than anyone....and that is not a vain statement, it is fact. The U that I am associated with specializes in distance education in all formats, particularly online.
     We have found that online, and/or distance students (students who are not required to be in the classroom) get as much out of it as they are willing to put in.
     Let me be blunt, if you are sent a reading list and you don't read the books on the list.....it is your loss. If you are sent tapes and cds and dvds and you don't pay attention to them, it is your loss and a waste of your money. If you put in some serious hard work, self discipline, and burning desire to learn, you will come away with a gift that is precious and priceless.
     In any venue of education, no one body grants you "knowledge and understanding, i.e., enlightenment". In any venue of education you "EARN" your degree, and it is granted to you because of your personal work and effort, that work and effort which showed your competance and ability; and that work and effort which sets you apart from others.

Peace,
Marty and elementary grade cats, Lucky, Poppy and Sissygirl
jaxemma
Posted 8/13/2008 2:04 PM (#9093 - in reply to #8373)

Sailor girl huh!?
How did you know?

I absolutely realize that I will get out of it what I put in.
I have pretty much made up my mind to attend.
I am first looking to make some steady income to make sure that I can enroll.
I just recently owned a country store in northern, vermont but had to close it as the economy tightened.
So in the meantime I thought I would visit this forum, find out as much as I can about this school, the community and the teachers!

Paul Joseph
Posted 8/13/2008 3:06 PM (#9105 - in reply to #9093)

PhD Alumni

Dear Jaxemma

Marty knew, i suspect, because that is how you describe yourself in your profile, on the control panel .... this is, please be aware, a public forum ... !!
jaxemma
Posted 8/13/2008 3:52 PM (#9111 - in reply to #8373)

Oh Ya my public thing says my AOL address is JaxtheSailor lol lol
and thats an old knickname from the hubby cuz I used to swear alot!
ha ha!!
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/13/2008 4:12 PM (#9112 - in reply to #9111)

PhD Alumni

Ah ha then - 'elementary my dear' Jaxemma !!

there is a good deal of punning on the Board too .. !

Leonard Cohen, 'and Jesus was a sailor, when he walked upon the water, he said all men will be sailors, until the sea shall free them, knowing only drowning men could see him' (words may be slightly off, as from memory, but hey ..x)
mruppert
Posted 8/13/2008 10:27 PM (#9128 - in reply to #8373)

Indeed, PeeJay.....
SailorMoon.....did you make it to the "Strolling of the Heifers" in Brattleboro? I try to go each year, but I oftentimes cannot get away from work. Yeah, yeah.....I know it is hokey but I sort of like it....it is far different from the "Running of the Bulls" in Pamplona, Spain. And, I get a chance to get some good cheese.
Sorry to read that you had to close your country store.....happens a lot in Vermont, as well as throughout the YewNitroStates of America! What will you do now?
Hey.....grow truffles.....Vermont and West Virginia have the right kind of trees to do it.....you just need some spores and a mommy pig and a daddy pig. Nature takes care of the rest! At over a cool $1K a lb for black, and $8Cnotes for white, how can you go wrong????

Peace,
Marty and MushroomCapCats, Luckylee, Poppyhead, and SillySissy
jaxemma
Posted 8/14/2008 12:29 PM (#9161 - in reply to #8373)

Really Truffles!
I have never heard of growing them
and what are the pigs for, finding them?
I am not sure where life is going to take me now, I know that I found out about alot of what I do not want in running that store!
I actually bought it as part of the 'finding my path' in life.
I am looking for some fun job to do , go to school here and possibly start helping people turn their behavioral habits around lol, alot of Vermonters need some positive influence!
I have never heard of the heifer thing it sounds absolutely hysterical!
I am about 3 hours north of brattleboro right near Cabot (Cabot Cheese lol).
I am kind of interested in the truffle thing! Really , I could do that!
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/15/2008 4:38 AM (#9215 - in reply to #9161)

PhD Alumni

Hello Jaxemma & Marty - i believe the pigs are mean truffle sniffler-outers ... pigs are also, I understand much under-rated animals, intelligent & sensitive and only allegedly 'unclean' 'cos we keep them in poor conditions

... sorry too about the store ... there is a UMS course on, 'Finding your life's path'; though I too am still looking !!

Over to Dante

'In the midway of this mortal life I fell asleep and awoke in a dark wood' [The Divine Comedy] xx

jaxemma
Posted 8/15/2008 3:41 PM (#9254 - in reply to #8373)

I actually love pigs!
when I was 16 someone gave me a runt pig her name was Sonny and I raised her from a baby (just like charlottes web) my grandmother litter trained her!
When I was 22 I made my husband buy me a pig her name was Chelsea and she did love rooting in our woods (we owned 42+ acres and a farm house then) she was so sweet, but farming was not trully for me lol, and neither was store keeping!
I am going to research this truffle thing though it sounds interesting and perhaps I could borrow a pig to find them!

Paul Joseph
Posted 8/15/2008 5:17 PM (#9262 - in reply to #9254)

PhD Alumni

Jaxemma ! Looks like Danjummai posted a joke about pigs for you on the Metaphysical Humour thread !!

Pigs figure in early British folk tales, I hazily recall (Marty might know better than me on that one?)
mruppert
Posted 8/15/2008 10:22 PM (#9267 - in reply to #8373)

Hi Jaxonville:
     There were certain oak and pine that the colonials brought from Europe, particulary the French, who settled in Acadia, a bit up the coast from you. These trees were the numero uno for growing truffles, though they didn't know it at the time. You can do it with birch, hazelnut, beech and some other trees...never with dutch elms. The thing is, you have got to have pretty much the same soil as France, which by no earthly reason, parts of Kalifornia, West Virginia, and some states in the northeast have...Vermont is one, Maine does also...but Maine is usually to cold.
     The pigs are to snuff out the truffles.....they are not specifically trained, but seem to have a inate ability to find them. Most Frenchies use dogs that are trained, easier to care for and upkeep is a lot less than pigs.
     A liiiiiiiitle secret, the West Virginia truffle farmers supplement their income by growing complimentary things, and, depending on the trees you are using, you can derive some side income from various things.....a biggie is hazlenuts. And then, there is, of course, a dude named "Stinkie Headie" and I shall not tell you what he raises and sells, but you don't need no pig to find it!

Peace and Truffles,
Marty and CosmicCats, Luckystrike, Poopyhead and SizzzyGyrll
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/18/2008 12:27 PM (#9357 - in reply to #9267)

PhD Alumni

Dears Jaxemma & Sir Marty

Just browsed through The Mythic Image by Joseph Campbell, and The Golden Bough, by Sir James Frazer ... interestingly both note many instances of pigs in sacred symbolism & sacrifice

Holy Hog !! x
instinctual
Posted 8/19/2008 12:02 PM (#9389 - in reply to #8373)

PhD Alumni

And the video that Paul just posted of Sarah M.'s music video Ordinary Miracle is on the sound track of Charlotte's Web!

Do tell, what IS it with all this piggly wiggly musing? haha! Some things I found:

Native American Indians recognize the pig as a symbol of the abundance of daily ... The pig is a strong symbol of luck

Herd animals - Horses, cattle, and pigs represent fertility

Let us not forget the pig, which offers its meat as a traditional Easter dish. This animal has always been a symbol of good luck and prosperity

Pig Symbolism Pigs symbolize the end of the day, a time of completing any remaining tasks

hmm!
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/19/2008 12:08 PM (#9395 - in reply to #9389)

PhD Alumni

Holy Updates !:

Jax said she likes pigs; Marty told her about truffles; Danjummai posted a pig joke

OK ?

Now - great links of yours too Lori !! Thanks
mruppert
Posted 8/20/2008 10:19 PM (#9462 - in reply to #8373)

Hi guys....
     In the regions of the birth of religion, they did indeedy, have pigs.....a high yield domesticated animal able to feed many people for quite a while. However, they are a lot like us, in that their skin is very much like ours...as is, in fact, used for grafting purposes. But they burn in the sun, and are subject to melanomas. They need to either be kept in shade or use sunscreen.....mud! So, they wallow in pools of water.
     The dumb (and crafty) ancient peoples knew that the good food source was too labor intensive and required two precious commodities in short supply...water and shade. So the propaganda spinmeisters had to come up with "the big LIE" to get people away from breeding pigs. And they came up with..."Yo my Jewish and Islamic brothers.....dem pigs is unclean....look-a-dat...dey wallowing in p*&^ and s#$@ in dat pond over dere......." Well, yeah, if it is the only moisture to be found with such sensitive skin in the middle of a desert...of course they are! 
     Oh....lest we forget....."dey got worms"! I guess these guys didn't check their other animals out to good....particularly their dogs.
     I have no problem with stupidity in the name of faith....after all, I am Roman Catholic and we usedtacouldn't eat meat on Fridays....now it is just some Fridays. I have no problem with Jews and Muslims not eating pork...as long as we all, everyone, realize that what we do in these regards is silly and stupid,and not because God will get me if I eat a steak on Friday....or that pork is by divine intervention unclean!
     And go to the forums....for my story on this subject....which people love to love or hate....but expect it of me!

peace,
Marty and CleanCats, Luck, Popp, and Siss

sunflower
Posted 8/21/2008 9:02 AM (#9503 - in reply to #9462)

Elite Veteran

i,ve never understood this eating meat,fish whatever on certain days,in some religions,maybe its because i don,t have a fixed relegion as such.Pigs are very clean intelligent animals,in fact ALL animals are intelligent,its humans that are stupid,greedy,vain,destructive.
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/21/2008 9:38 AM (#9507 - in reply to #9503)

PhD Alumni

Quite so Iris, agreed, it was similar remarks I made about pigs the other day to Jaxemma, who likes pigs also, (somewhere back on this thread or another) that led to these various Piglet ruminations ... with truffle insights from Sir Marty ... and a joke by Danjummai on the humour thread .. now just added to by me on the Ships and Shoes and Sailing thread ... (that one about boars rather than pigs but I was using poetic licence!!)
sunflower
Posted 8/23/2008 1:58 AM (#9643 - in reply to #9507)

Elite Veteran

yeh!and so say allof us.x
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/23/2008 5:41 PM (#9693 - in reply to #9643)

PhD Alumni

Yes

Is the word

That started the

Universe

So 'tis said

Edited by Paul Joseph 8/23/2008 5:43 PM