the four seasons
sunflower
Posted 8/3/2008 7:34 AM (#8324)
Subject: the four seasons

Elite Veteran

i love all of the four seasons of nature,they each represent,to me,our own human condition.Some have a preference for maybe just one,i feel this says something about them,phycologicaly,and spiritualy,but this of course is only my opinion.Are there any persons,or person,out there,who have views on this.Lordy,Lordy,Lordy,my spelling has improved,i have a dictionary by my side for reference.with love,irisx
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Chotuni
Posted 8/3/2008 8:21 AM (#8327 - in reply to #8324)
Subject: RE: the four seasons

Regular

Dear Sunflower, When we had proper seasons I used to like all of them for different reasons. The trees turning to a mass of oranges and browns in the Autumn, a crisp white snowy day with clear blue skies in Winter, a fresh blowing day with fluffy clouds scurrying by in Spring and hot lazy days on the beach in Summer. Now we have most of this all in one day!.Do you mind exclamation marks.

p.s I also like Vivaldi's 

Edited by Chotuni 8/3/2008 8:22 AM
sunflower
Posted 8/3/2008 9:10 AM (#8336 - in reply to #8327)

Elite Veteran

hahaha!exclamation mark.full stop.I agree,and the reason why,is because of man,s greed,and woman,s of course,they came,they saw,they destroyed,now nature is dealing her final card.Personaly,i beleive it wil be before date predicted,i cry for peoples souls,when the time approaches,vivaldi says it all.
Chotuni
Posted 8/3/2008 9:15 AM (#8337 - in reply to #8336)

Regular

Sunflower, How true, but Nature doesn't give up without a fight. I know whose side I am on.But there again,without technology we would not have met and been able to have such fun so it is a double edged sword. Love and Light
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/3/2008 10:07 AM (#8346 - in reply to #8337)

PhD Alumni

There is a great Zen poem that I never quite get right from memory, but it goes something like,

- In spring, blossom abounds
In summer, garlands of flowers
In autumn, a harvest moon
In winter, snows will accompany you
When useless things do not hang in your mind
Every season is a good season for you -

Though since useless things to still hang in my mind, if pushed, my own preference would be autumn - Keats' "season of mists and mellow fruitfulness"
Kiddo Green
Posted 8/4/2008 1:19 PM (#8469 - in reply to #8324)

very interesting. I will have to give this more thought. Psychologically and spiritually speaking, i mean.

I know for myself that I prefer spring and summer. I have always attributed my preference to having been raised in a sunny climate and from being from Mediterranean descent. I really don't like cold winters; I appreciate the cold and snow from a distance.

I do know that I love the spring, because of the new budding green leaves and flowers. I love nature bursting forth and seeming to laugh in the colors of flowers and leaves. In summer, i just feel free and secure. I don't know why, but I do. Sort of unstoppable.

I would love to hear others' views.
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/4/2008 1:25 PM (#8470 - in reply to #8469)

PhD Alumni

I was born in February, in the cold North .... so my disposition may well reflect that

also, many, many lifetimes to work on ...
Kiddo Green
Posted 8/4/2008 1:31 PM (#8477 - in reply to #8324)

Are you saying that your disposition is cold???*wink* Just teasing. I am assuming that you mean that you appreciate the winter months...

Cara
instinctual
Posted 8/4/2008 1:37 PM (#8480 - in reply to #8324)

PhD Alumni

My internal structure depends on the 4 seasons...being born and raised in Connecticut and living there for 38 years. The seasons were clearly defined....6 foot snow drifts led to daffodils, then the sound and the smells of freshly cut grass, the sudden change in humidity brought brisk Halloweens and leave piles, then the snow came. I feel stagnated with a strange underlying current of sadness, even though I live in constant sunshine! I think it is because I live in constant sunshine that I crave the diversity. I think each season gives us permission to grow and reflect. The desert is lovely and awesome, yet it only remains true to itself.
Tracy Martin
Posted 8/4/2008 4:01 PM (#8512 - in reply to #8324)

Alumni

Arcata, CA seems to have two seasons, rainy and not rainy. Fog at any time. I love the Fog! Temperature averages around 55 to 60 all year long. The natives are discombobulated if it is too hot or cold, and too hot could be only 75 degrees, and cold is under 50 degrees! In New York the four seasons are much more dramatic. I am still tired of the heat and the cold from there, and if I need more heat or cold I can drive out of town fifteen minutes away. Odd place this. On the other hand, there is a saying here, that if you don't like the weather, wait fifteen minutes, perhaps the clouds, wind and Ocean currents change things.
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/4/2008 4:37 PM (#8513 - in reply to #8480)

PhD Alumni

When I was little we had lots of snow in the uk; now, much less so; I think this is not simply a childhood memory; snow used to abound for weeks, now we may have a day or two, then it is gone.

Disposition may be paradoxical.

The best fresh-water pond or sea swimming days are the coldest; whether the rolling breakers, or walking for 45 minutes at 6 am in the dark as happened the winter before last through driving snow, breaking the ice, breaking my spectacles en route ; whether that is 'cos I enjoy the cold, or need the cold to still me down, either remains possible.

Equally, the possibility of total craziness also remains open x

The world is total wonder

Edited by Paul Joseph 8/4/2008 4:38 PM
Kiddo Green
Posted 8/4/2008 11:45 PM (#8550 - in reply to #8324)

Funny others mention it. But, I do have memories of colder weather even here in sunny SoCal. I grew up along the water (Pacific Ocean); you can see the water from most rooms in the house. I always knew what to expect for the day by reading the water. White caps (waves) on the water meant a blustering day and a storm to come. And, I remember raging winter storms that blasted the house. It felt like the windows were going to be blown out.

I felt safest then...As a child, I thought, "...a burglar or other trespasser would have to be crazy to go out in weather like this..." I always slept deeply those nights.

Cara
Supernatural3
Posted 8/4/2008 11:58 PM (#8551 - in reply to #8324)

PhD Alumni

Hello,
I live in NE Ohio (basically Cleveland), which is the same as NY. Our seasons are dramatically different. Right now we are hot, humid and muggy. Beautiful days for the pool, but grass is now brown and dried out. In winter it is extremely cold, lots of snow (as we live in the snow belt from Lake Erie) and our spring is always super rainy.... soaked and in many cases, flooded. Our most prized season in my own eyes, is our fall. The temperature is perfect, like Tracy's normal. But the tree's color's, leaves falling and over all smell.... with Halloween to make it perfect. Fall is my favorite time of year. I am a July baby.... But i really don't care for the hot weather, unless i am on a boat, skiing and swimming.
XXX
Kiddo Green
Posted 8/6/2008 7:53 PM (#8675 - in reply to #8324)

LOL.
Oh Jill. I went to college out your way, well, almost... I went to U.of Notre Dame in Southbend. I appreciate your desciptions, wholeheartedly! My big sis also went to UND withme. In fact, it was the beautiful autumn (all 2 weeks of it), when I went to go visit her at school, that was the deciding factor into hauling my sorry bum out to Indiana! Oh, and was I sorry!

The campus was just splendid in the autumn. Little did I know that the autumn days were short and the winters were loooooonnnnnnnngggggg. (First snow was Oct. 8, 1988 and the last snow was May 1989. That's right, I haven't forgotten it...as if I haven't forgiven the gawds!) I had no idea how cold was cold in Indiana. I couldnb't undersatnd why people would choose this. Well, it certainly didn't kill me and I did, in fact, grow from the experience, and I learned to truly appreciate what I have in this land of beautiful sunshine.

I loved my time in the midwest and I truly believe that the coldest place I have ever lived holds the warmest hearts you can find anywhere. People are genuinely 'nice' in the midwest. Isn't the saying, "cold hands, warm heart"...how about "cold lands, warm hearts!"

And, I do miss the summer storms though. I think I mentioned this before. But, can you tell I really do??? Thunder and torrents of warm rain???

Cara (from the land of the lotus-eaters)
Tracy Martin
Posted 8/6/2008 11:12 PM (#8680 - in reply to #8324)

Alumni

I love storms too! I love to go out and see what the Ocean is doing, and the Wind. I miss thunder and lightning tho. 
mruppert
Posted 8/7/2008 2:34 AM (#8686 - in reply to #8675)

Touchdown Jesus...ND....we played you guys....and I think we lost...a few years back. UMTerrapins vs The Fighting Irish!

As much as I liked Brady (I thought he had the arm of a Joe Nameth, Alabama) your couch stinks...Charlie gotta go!

The EP-I-TOME of faith was BC (yes, Boston College is a Roman Catholic school) when Doug Flutie threw the "Hail Mary" pass against the 'Canes of Miami. His last effort has lived on in history, and will always be remembered in many metaphores....if only you South Benders could be so lucky!

Sincerely, ACC Conference Member,

Marty, and various conference cats, Luckylee(SEC); Poppyhead(ACC); and the SissyGirl(Independant-GO IRISH)

Rose
Posted 8/7/2008 2:44 AM (#8689 - in reply to #8512)

Student

55 to 60 degrees all year long....sounds wonderful. And yes the fog is nice. It's been a great deal of rain in the Southwest and the plants are just loving it! That's the best thing, to see the plants so green and perky.

Love and Peace to you T....Arcata sounds so beautiful....
Rose
Posted 8/7/2008 2:47 AM (#8690 - in reply to #8686)

Student

Good to see you Party Marty and the Furballs! Hope you're all in good spirits and health.

Love and Peace to you all....
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/7/2008 4:47 AM (#8694 - in reply to #8689)

PhD Alumni

Hello Marty - sorry to hear about your PC crash

Hope all's otherwise well with you

best
P
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/7/2008 4:47 AM (#8695 - in reply to #8689)

PhD Alumni

Hello Marty - sorry to hear about your PC crash

Hope all's otherwise well with you

best
P