Holistic Health Check-up: Name 3 things you do regularly to stay fit
Kiddo Green
Posted 8/3/2008 4:47 AM (#8320)
Subject: Holistic Health Check-up: Name 3 things you do regularly to stay fit

The idea was created from an earlier conversation where some members were discussing 'healing the healer'. I am interested in what others do to maintain their health in body, mind and spirit. The assumption is that most of us are drawn to metaphysics because we are either in a helping profession or are simply natural healers. Others may wish to change global consciousness. Perhaps, there are those who fit into all of these categories. I am sure there are categories that I haven't even named. Still, I think it is important to maintain good physical, mental and and spiritual health. How do you do this?

So what do you do to maintain your health with regard to
body:
mind:
spirit:

It can be different everyday or it can be a regular regime. My hope is that we can learn from one another and develop new skills/practical applications to better ourselves as healers, metaphysicians, etc.

Thank you and I look forward to your comments.

Cara
Top of the page Bottom of the page
instinctual
Posted 8/3/2008 1:18 PM (#8360 - in reply to #8320)
Subject: RE: Holistic Health Check-up: Name 3 things you do regularly to stay fit

PhD Alumni

Hello Cara! Great idea...

Body: a work in progress but definitely attempt to eat all of the food groups at every meal ( 6 small meals a day as I tend to have really l o w blood sugars )............as well as attempting to munch on many colors of fruits and veggies daily. Also do water aerobics daily and occasionally laps in the pool.

Mind: Definitely hands down being a student of this university and being in the company of you all - also reading is a must...not necessarily heady and heavy stuff, even silly romantic reads, comedies, etc. -also a work in progress...

Spirit: Always a work in progress as well- remaining open to my instinct/higher self/God spark, and trying to never second guess my intuition.

Actually, isn't life a work in progress until we take our last breath, and beyond?
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/3/2008 1:45 PM (#8361 - in reply to #8320)
Subject: RE: Holistic Health Check-up: Name 3 things you do regularly to stay fit

PhD Alumni

Not sure I feel that healthy;

but good thread

thanx
Kiddo Green
Posted 8/3/2008 3:32 PM (#8371 - in reply to #8320)

Yes, life is a work in progress. I know for myself that I get do get sidetracked and unbalanced. I tend to take care of others before I take care of myself. So, i like to hear reminders of how people take care of themselves...

body: I try to eat organic/whole foods, preferably grown in my own garden. Otherwise, I try to buy from local farmers
mind: ever the student, I am usually studying something or another, and I agree with Lori, this Board is stimulating too
spirit: prayer and meditation, I turn off the radio while driving. I enjoy the silence...

Definitely not healthy all the time, but I strive and aspire.

Cara
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/4/2008 4:31 AM (#8397 - in reply to #8371)

PhD Alumni

Sorry; feeling more than a bit low and grumpy after the weekend ... ok, will try to cheer up and join in:

Though reflecting i find it hard to separate the three here as two things

-Swimming in an outdoor spring fed pool on Hampsead Heath in teh eart of London

and

-T'ai Chi

: both embrace the three ..

More specifically mind,

the occasional (not daily) poem

Spirit: play my pipes

and of course, the Board !
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/4/2008 5:15 AM (#8399 - in reply to #8397)

PhD Alumni

Is there a 'things i should do more of' part ?

if so, I feel I need to meditate and be still more x
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/4/2008 5:18 AM (#8400 - in reply to #8399)

PhD Alumni

& maybe not post so much on the Board !
instinctual
Posted 8/4/2008 2:01 PM (#8489 - in reply to #8320)

PhD Alumni

But but but if you stop posting so much, you won't have nearly as much fun. I have consulted the counsel, and you are not allowed to post less. So, there ya go.
Kiddo Green
Posted 8/4/2008 2:50 PM (#8493 - in reply to #8320)

heeheehee.

Well, I personally would scrap the 'shoulds'. They generally are harmful and limiting...in my experience. Follow your spirit and instinct.

Pipes! Cool. Swimming in spring! Double cool! and, yes there is crossover. It brings up another topic...which I will get to in another post...

And, please don't stop posting. I agree with Lori. What else will I have to look forward to when the littln' goes to bed. Oh yeah, there is always my studies, but I usually finish them fairly quickly. Still waiting for my downloads. Sigh!

Kiddo Green
Posted 8/4/2008 2:53 PM (#8494 - in reply to #8320)

so, today...to stay healthy...

I have been actively praying for my hubby. We have been warring. Nothing in particular. Battle of the wills. I have been repeating, "I love you!" over and over again.

I also tended the garden.

It's 11:45 AM here. I still have time to transcend before I sleep...
C
instinctual
Posted 8/4/2008 3:12 PM (#8497 - in reply to #8320)

PhD Alumni

Battle of Wills is healthy in relationships, sometimes! That is a good mantra..I love you....way to go, girl xo
Tracy Martin
Posted 8/4/2008 3:15 PM (#8499 - in reply to #8320)

Alumni

I have been inspired this weekend with new energies and will towards health physically, mentally, emotionally. Real deep discomfort (as well as disillusionment) is an inspiring point of new beginnings, provides me with something to let go of in order to make room for better things. 

Body: swimming, water Ai Chi, hikes, gardening, beginning Tai Chi, fruit smoothies, drinking water (Eckhart Tolle pointed out that we over identify ourselves as the body, what can help bring us into the present is being aware of the Energy we feel in the body. I have often been unhappy over the pain  I feel in my joints and muscles and can bring this attention right there, pain tends to dissipate and my attitude relaxes.)

Mind: clean it out, stop fretting and worrying, let go of constant thoughts of "my suffering," listen to and read inspiring material, write, listen, listen some more. Consider the need of the moment and how and which emotions are indicators of needs met and unmet. Ask myself if 'this' is absolutely true (Byron Katie: The Work)

Spirit: for myself and all others: light work, meditation, prayer, ritual, giving thanks, being present, listening (I  tried a light meditation, used the UMS meditation Putting Light On A Person or Situation in which I visualized all the cells in my body lighting up with divine white light - wow!)

Kiddo Green
Posted 8/4/2008 3:28 PM (#8501 - in reply to #8320)

Thanks, Lori. Although I have visions of murder...(my shadow, of course)...it helps me feel powerful when I feel powerless. I hoping the "I love you's" will triumph and transform me!

Wimper...
Cara

Kiddo Green
Posted 8/4/2008 3:28 PM (#8502 - in reply to #8320)

Tracy-

You sound very healthy indeed... Beautiful post.

Cara
Tracy Martin
Posted 8/4/2008 3:34 PM (#8505 - in reply to #8320)

Alumni

Hah! Kiddo! Heading there as best I can, have to overcome pessimism, laziness, depression! But I promised myself not to talk/think that way anymore, oops, start over..again!

I am healthy in my Heart, healthy nurturing energy overflows and vibrates through my thoughts, my emotions, my body. The Universe sends me supportive and loving messages about how best to care for myself and others.
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/4/2008 5:13 PM (#8521 - in reply to #8489)

PhD Alumni

Oh well, grimps and grumps, if you say so. Hmph...

Oh - I posted this last above in grizzled response to Lori, and then, thank you, Cara to not stop posting... then I read the other posts, which transcended that so, sorry if it doesn't make sense, but thought I'd leave it in anyway to show ... my shadow ...

... more seriously, not sure about this, we identify too much with the body stuff... are we not here to be, the body, whatever that means; that, perhaps is part of our destiny and our work here , may it not be ? Getting late to go on now, and apart from that question, it is lovely to be in commune with everyone here; just so little time, and often the times of meeting do not coincide ... x let's keep trying though, please.

Edited by Paul Joseph 8/4/2008 5:18 PM
Tracy Martin
Posted 8/4/2008 5:35 PM (#8523 - in reply to #8320)

Alumni

We are obviously bodily creatures and care for our bodies is given or exercised by us all our lives. I am speaking about transcending my sense of self from vanity. My face does not define who I am. The color of my skin or hair does not define me. If I lose a limb or one of my senses, I am not any less a person than before. Pain in the body can also be something that I attach myself to as an 'identity.' I let this go, as I will let go of the body upon death.
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/4/2008 10:39 PM (#8534 - in reply to #8523)

PhD Alumni

Ahh, I see; thank you
Kiddo Green
Posted 8/4/2008 11:33 PM (#8548 - in reply to #8320)

Oooh! It is getting a bit heady and philosophical. About the body, I mean. I want so much to respond, but I fear that I will sidetrack myself.

Cara
Kiddo Green
Posted 8/4/2008 11:35 PM (#8549 - in reply to #8320)

Oooh! It is getting a bit heady and philosophical. About the body, I mean. I want so much to respond, but I fear that I will sidetrack myself.

Cara
Supernatural3
Posted 8/5/2008 12:02 AM (#8552 - in reply to #8320)

PhD Alumni

"So what do you do to maintain your health with regard to":
body: Not enough... been lacking exorcise bad. Need motive.....
mind: Mind is brain fried right now... too much on the mind... driving me crazy. Not a good time.
spirit: Always live in spirit mode, comes naturally and automatically...

I should not be one to set an example right now. I have not been myself.... am living overwhelmed and basically in numb mode.

I will be back... will answer again then. LOL

Blessings~
Tracy Martin
Posted 8/5/2008 12:27 AM (#8555 - in reply to #8320)

Alumni

You, Doc, have been going through some major life changes, and it is natural that your body and emotions would feel a bit shocked and overtaxed. Sending you vibes of peaceful, relaxing energy...

I didn't mean to be heady, but physical and metaphysical. Giving attention to the body, focusing on the energy, the life of the body, as well as not resisting the pain, being present with it, actually eases the tension that causes many constricted feelings and thoughts of pain.  In the mind, not feeding on thoughts of suffering, self-pity, or identifying as a victim, instead, raising up thoughts and feelings that choose Peace or Presence.  I choose Peace. I choose to end the conflict with my body, with insisting that it be a certain way, with feeling disappointed when it is not. In other times I have chosen other words, like Light, Love, or Health. Letting go of self-rejection, self-hatred, self-alienation, from the head down to the cellular level! So, one may be in pain, and yet be free of suffering.

Another experiment anyway!

Paul Joseph
Posted 8/5/2008 3:11 AM (#8564 - in reply to #8549)

PhD Alumni

Sorry Cara (and Tracy) if I was leading us off on sidetracks .. they can be interesting too though ... but I have this tendency to be 'heady', hence perhaps why I remarked on 'the body' !!
Rose
Posted 8/5/2008 10:20 PM (#8589 - in reply to #8360)

Student

Oh that's what I do Instinctual! I try to eat across the color spectrum. That Dr. Weil, hope I spelled that correctly, said that it's good for all sorts of conditions that are caused by inflamation in the body.

We need lots of fresh fruit, veggies, herbs etc. So nice to know that more Farmers are offering memberships and work plans for people to get fresh veggies. One farm here lets you work for two hours and you can get a big basket full of fresh veggies. I think that's so cool!

Nemaste...
Kiddo Green
Posted 8/6/2008 2:59 AM (#8592 - in reply to #8320)

That is cool, Rose! What part of the country, or in which country do you reside? Just wondering if that same program is available elsewhere...

C
Kiddo Green
Posted 8/6/2008 3:07 AM (#8593 - in reply to #8320)

Tracy, PJ-
I should say that "I" have a tendency to become sidetracked. I was afraid that if I commented I (or we) might drift off into another conversation altogether...Call it a family trait, call it a cultural trait, whatever... But, the art of conversation as with my mother and her family is lyrical and flowing. They get to the point and answer the question...eventually...after many tangents and many many many stories... Sometimes, it is tedious for the observer. I myself have to be mindful of this pattern of speaking and writing. That's all. I was just expressing that I wanted to say something, but was resisting...

Forgive me if came across as controlling the conversation. I was merely trying to edit myself.

C
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/6/2008 4:09 AM (#8600 - in reply to #8593)

PhD Alumni

Isn't this though what the Board is all about (oh well, partly about; oh well i mean, contingently about, ... ), ie, the spark of new ideas & associations as they arise ... consciousness elevation/migration/submersion ? ! x
Kiddo Green
Posted 8/6/2008 6:36 PM (#8671 - in reply to #8320)

OK. OK, I will say it then! I went to a workshop with a Kahuna a couple years back. It was a strange meeting since he was one of the last surviving Kahunas of the old ways and also he was a man. (Kahunas are typically women and the traditions are passed down through the maternal line) This kahuna had learned his craft from his grandmother.

Anyway, he brought up the Hawaiian concept of time and energy (mana) as being in 'flow' rather than in balance. Flow being a more female and perhaps indigenous people's concept than a male, patriarchal, western concept. Balance reflects the western concepts of opposites, separateness and power shifting and polarity. Flow addresses the 'Oneness' of all being. SO, at any point we are shifting with the flow.

A light went on in my head. This seemed to true for me, it left me near speechless (a feat in and of itself!) for about a day. I have since tried to incorporate this principle into my personal beliefs, actions and my teachings.

So, I have heard 'go with the flow', etc. even here on the boards. It has more meaning to me than people realize. And, it is good...

That is my tangent/story and I am sticking to it...

*wink*
Kiddo
Tracy Martin
Posted 8/6/2008 11:05 PM (#8678 - in reply to #8320)

Alumni

I enjoy tangents too! Bright, tart, sweet orange ones.

Paul Joseph
Posted 8/7/2008 8:09 AM (#8704 - in reply to #8671)

PhD Alumni

Absolutely ... also, if we are all indeed One (as we are, vibrationally - Quantum Physics meets Metaphysics meets the Dharma meets Tao meets The Geeta meets the New Testament meets the Kachina meets ...) ..

...then we are the Flow and the Flow is us (fascinating thread eons back too about Hoop'onopo - sorry spelling wrong, but also Hawaiian)

.... everything that happens to You happens to Me

......... all is interconnectedness in the grate spiral nebulae of Instancy

............ wormholes of pure Consciousness ...

......................Time stands still - is an illusion - is Eternity ...

.........................................a huge gift, equally, a huge challenge !

Namaste in Resonance with the beat of the Cosmic Heart x
mruppert
Posted 8/7/2008 1:20 PM (#8758 - in reply to #8320)

Tangerine Dream, Traceling!

Paulio has got it right and has hit the nail on the tippytop!
My spiritual checkup is to come here and be with you all. Paul is right to the respect that "we" are ALL ONE! We are very different people in many clothes and colors. We have different nationalities, different allegiances,  different backgrounds, different skill levels, different problems, different goals...one might say that there is such a diversity that there is no reason for us to be the way we are.
     One might say that we didn't really care that this place in space and time would be dissolved and/or absorbed into another. But, I think that a force that I choose to call "cosmic resonance" shone a light on a certain person, and she realized that what she created was, indeed, visionary! I'd like to think that it became clear to her that she joined people together, as a community. I'd like to think that she realized that to scatter us to the four winds, would have been against what she dreamed of, as a founder and pillar of what she truly believes. Yes, I think all of that!
     WE come together because we want to! We do not need validation from others that are not like us. For those that are new and come with questions, my emotional response is always that you arrived here for a REASON...and you must now explore that reason and come to terms with it. My logical response is very much the same. For, the stars 'impel"; they do not "compel" people to be as they are.
      Does it hurt my feelings that some make fun of us, and question us, and ridicule us? I am human, so my answer is, of course, it does!
      But, then I go back to what Paul said indirectly, we are an open community of spirits, souls, what have you.....and all are welcome to be part of it. We dance in a ring, but when someone comes, we open, join hands, find  partners and come together.....so that the ring grows in magnitude.....so that the ring eventually encircles the globe!

Peace and Love,
Marty and Sillysosphical Cats, Lady Luckylee, Dame Poppyhead, and Mistress SissyGirl
Tracy Martin
Posted 8/7/2008 9:20 PM (#8790 - in reply to #8320)

Alumni

Spiritual, Mental, Emotional Health

I believe in Love as an Ultimate Power.
 I am contemplating the  love and the connection that I experience for others and from others.

It is  puzzling to be human, it is a vulnerable existence.
We wonder how we fit in, how we are accepted or rejected by others.
In our thoughts are fears over our human selves, our bodies, our emotions, 
our mental powers, and whatever else the Shadow conceals in hiding places within.
We cultivate so much fear and shame in our minds throughout life. 

Now I hear some messages pulling me from my fears!

"These are all just thoughts, insubstantial, unreal!
You are mesmerized by these thoughts.
Be silent, be still. Let go, relax, let go!

Let go of your suffering, of defining yourself by your suffering.
Let go of those memories that have become rigid in your mind.  

Choose Peace.
Move on. 
Flow. Flow. Flow.

Whatever Reality is to you can only be experienced in this present moment. Right now. Now!
When you have pain,  go there, with awareness and compassion.
Get quiet, feel, let go of resistance, flow.

What's your breathing like? How does your body feel sitting there? Let your mind be clear.

Bring/Shine Light/Joy/Harmony and luxuriate in That for yourselves. 
When you listen, listen for the Heart with your heart.
Then stretch your heart a little more and comfort the pain which flows in and out.

This speaks to me so beautifully in my body, mind, and soul.

So much pain, so much joy, so much presence.
Kiddo Green
Posted 8/7/2008 10:33 PM (#8795 - in reply to #8320)

PJ-
That's exactly it. about Ho'oponopono and Huna, i mean. I would be interested in the thread. The kuhana practiced the old ways/magic/healing arts of Hawaii. The vibrational presence of the indigen. peeps is so different from our western current. We strive to restore the connectedness & calm that they seem to naturally have.

Tracy-
Thanks again. Your words are lovely.

C
Kiddo Green
Posted 8/7/2008 10:40 PM (#8796 - in reply to #8320)

Just found the summary of one of a recent presentation. If anyone is interested...

HO'OMANA - Traditional Hawaiian Spirituality — AUPUNI IWIULA — San Martin/ San Simeon
HO'OMANA - Traditional Hawaiian Spirituality Kahuna Aupuni Iwi`ula will give a presentation on HO'OMANA - Traditional Hawaiian Spirituality. Aupuni is the last true Kahuna of the Old Ways. HO'OMANA means to create Spiritual Power. This year he will present the four tenets of HO'OMANA: HO'OMAKAUKAU (Preparation with Firmness), HA'AHA'A (Humility with Strength not Surrender), HO'IHI (Respect with Understanding) and 'OIA'I'O (Truth with Commitment not Complacency). He will demonstrate the concepts of HO'OPONOPONO, HO'OMALU and KU HINA. This will all be done through the context of KULANA and KULEANA.

This is his foundation...http://www.kalama.org/

C
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/8/2008 4:01 AM (#8810 - in reply to #8758)

PhD Alumni

Thanks Professor McAvity Marty - my sentiments excatly ... & also, the power of the Board of the Ring : lovely posts there Tracy too ! x
instinctual
Posted 8/8/2008 2:43 PM (#8841 - in reply to #8320)

PhD Alumni

Tracy!

You flow like no one I know...reading your words causes me to want to go swimming, long, hard, far out, embrace the water, embrace the sea, ride the waves of fear...reconnect from where we came...with great sincerity and at the risk of causing you to feel uncomfortable...this is how your words and love touch me...

WOW