Unsupervised Energy Work? Questions!
mruppert
Posted 7/27/2008 9:53 PM (#7855)
Subject: Unsupervised Energy Work? Questions!

Hi all:
     I have been warned that practicing "internal" energy disciplines can be dangerous if unsupervised, at least by an experienced practitioner, if not a Master; and, ideally an "Enlightened One".
     Do any of you have experience in Pranayama and (I'll use the Chinese spelling) Chi Gung?
     Have any of you approached these disciplines with a martial arts background?
     Do any of you know of a qualified practitioner in the USA, hopefully on the East Coast?

Finally, an opinion question......at the end of Kill Bill, Volume 2, Beatrice Kiddo (Uma Thurman) actually does kill Bill (Kung Fu Carradine)  using a movement called the "five point exploding palm heart technique something or other?" which was not a "mortal" blow by force. It was, if you watch the movie carefully, an energy blow, using her wrist and fingers in an extremely light touch, if you know wu shu arts, of which power is the essence. What do you think?

For fun.......Pai Mei begins to train Uma, and tells her to put her fist through a pretty solid piece of wood. And she tries to no avail and he laughs and says:
"Pai Mei:It's the wood that should fear your hand, not the other way around. Nowonder you can't do it, you acquiesce to defeat before you even begin."
Isn't that true of many of us???????????

Wood in Piece, and Love,
Marty and KungFuKittykats, Luckysan, Poppysan, and Sissysensie
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Supernatural3
Posted 7/28/2008 1:35 AM (#7869 - in reply to #7855)
Subject: RE: Unsupervised Energy Work? Questions!

PhD Alumni

Kill Bill... ha, both were two of my all time favorite movies. I do believe there is really some truth to the movie. If she fear the wood, she would have never gotten through it. However, how does one know when the wood fears her?

Bill was surprised that B was taught that move.... wasn't he!

I have never feared working with energy work alone. I don't know why.... i just have no fear of anything really. I know everything here is just a vacation.... not to be so serious. but that is my own lesson.... someone elses may be something else.

Know what I mean? 
mruppert
Posted 7/28/2008 3:28 AM (#7873 - in reply to #7855)

Jilly...I am double dog serious......I had done a few "swing" exercises, and I thought I might put my hand through a door....and I shattered it! Now, I gotta buy a new door, since I rent and not own. It was not a power strike, I just thought I might tap it after the exercise. Yeah, I was being silly and stupid, like a kid. I had my kimono robe on, a gift from DisneyWorld, and my headband.
It didn't have a hole....anyone could easily punch through a hollow core door, believe that! The door "shattered" into little symetrical pieces.
     So, I have anxiety (  I won't say fear ) over what happened. And surprise....how am I going to explain this to the rental office? It looks like it just fell apart, piece by piece!
Yeah, I'll tell them that the door fell apart.....they are still going to charge me for a new door!
      I mean, your doors don't fall apart!

Peace and Paws,
Marty and Amazed Cats, Luck, Popp, and Siss
Supernatural3
Posted 7/29/2008 5:43 PM (#7962 - in reply to #7855)

PhD Alumni

I would say, NOW that you know it WORKS.... and they were not kidding. Just be careful with what you practice on. Make sure it's not things you will have to replace. LOL Silly Boy.

Congratulations on your success..... keep going. They do make stuff for this. a brick in the basement perhaps, that ISN'T part of your foundation. <wink>

Let us know how it goes....

Chotuni
Posted 7/30/2008 8:09 AM (#8000 - in reply to #7855)

Regular

Hi Muppet, Can't help with your questions but agree that unsupervised work can be very dangerous as you have found out to your cost. Speaking of the energy bow in Kill Bill wasn't such an energy rumoured to have killed Bruce Lee(the trembling finger)? As to distanc learnng, I am a complete techno-phobe and my computer is doing lots of strange things recently, so Iprinted out all the help I could find on Windows help, went to the Library and got all the books I could find on computer security and guess what? I made such a mess of it I had to go right back to basicsand set up the computer exactly as it had been. This tok a long time and cost a lot on my phone billbecause I had to phone the supplier of my router for advice. Not exactly Earth shattering but a personal example of what can happen if you try to learnfrom a distance.
mruppert
Posted 8/21/2008 1:40 AM (#9473 - in reply to #7855)

Weeeelllllllllll.....when people get together and try to exercise in this form of energy unsupervised by a master, things can happen....and indeed they DO! Not what I had in mind and the last thing in the world I wanted! But this is how you learn; though I don't particularly care for the lesson.
So, I try to see my doctor, since I gotta, as it is very serious and I find that he is on "sick leave" and has been so for quite a while....and will be back next year! I remember the last time I saw him, and he says to me "Mr. Ruppert, you haven't been in since 2003, don't you think it is time for a check up? And I looked at him, and recalled the way he looked in 1998, the other time I had seen him, and said Doc, I think you are the one that needs a check up...do you see yourself? He was, indeed,  younger than me, but looked twice my age. Awful! I looked absolutely great for my age, not that I am a handsome man, I am not.....but I had a youthfull appearance, though bald of pate.
Maybe this is all for the good, as I will write about the complete disdain for those who are in need of medical care and can find none..because of our stupid systems!!!!

Peace and Love,
Marty and Perpetual Cats, Luck, Popp, and SizzyGirlilla
Supernatural3
Posted 8/21/2008 7:16 PM (#9551 - in reply to #7855)

PhD Alumni

Nearly all my learning has been "Distance" learning. While having a teacher to guide you is wonderful, if you don't have access to such, the only way to learn is through trial and error.

I always had these two bumper stickers on my tool box at ITT (tool time Jill). 
"If all else fails..... read the directions" & "My reality check, Bounced".

Sometimes you have to just wear pajama slippers to work.... to remind yourself not to get burned out.

As host Doc J is sipping Appletini's, gearing up for talk show in just 45 mins. LOL

Blessings

mruppert
Posted 8/21/2008 10:25 PM (#9560 - in reply to #7855)

Hey Jillitini:

I am going to invent a cocktail and call it the Jillitini...hmmmm....guess I'll have to start product development.....off to the liquor cabinet!

Jeez, I thought that was so amusing, I forgot what I was going to type...this product development is roughly real.....oooopps.....I mean really rough!

Okay, I remember what I was going to type....but I forgot...oh yeah, there was a well known character on Sesame Street that needed a bit of lubrication before going on the air.

Man, the perfect Jillitini is rather illusive....I shall have to research further!

So, Sill, how do I see your radio show on my TeeWee? How do you turn on the TeeWee? Where the heck is the TeeWee? Oh my God...I almost have the essence of the Jillitini...I hall shave to try a few smore!!!!!!!!!!!

Offfffff I flow....

Peas and Onions,

Party and some funny looking dogs....Rover, Fido, Spike and Lassie.....and Rin-Tin-Tin......

I stink I have had moo tany Jillitoonies....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Supernatural3
Posted 8/21/2008 10:44 PM (#9561 - in reply to #9560)

PhD Alumni

ROFL..... too funny Martini man....

My normal sip of choice is a bourbon and coke... i just wanted something sweeter and was in the mood for sour green apple and already had my 1 coca cola for the day (my limit). yummmmm.

My show took too long, that I never noticed a buzz or anything. I don't sip this because I need it, I sip it, because I like it. Plus it loosens me up a bit, but I would be the same ol me regardless. Sometimes a sip helps me relax a bit, cause I am always hyper. But that is also subsiding as I age.... I feel like i should name a drink Flintstone Greeny Tini.... HA HA HA

To listen to my goofy show, one can go my blog talk radio page link here. I do not make money, as it's a free show, so I don't mind placing this link on here.

You may want to opt out of the onion part... gives me a bit of the wind. LOLOL

So the cats now look like famous pooches.... YEP, perhaps too much sippy sippy... ha ha

Sleep tight baby brother~ (in my john wayne voice)

sunflower
Posted 8/23/2008 3:40 AM (#9648 - in reply to #9551)

Elite Veteran

distance learning is just that,distance,with a certificate through the post,distantly useless,i could have many certificates on my wall from distance learning,which is where i would keep them,at a distance,but my walls are empty,my heart is filled with love and healing,i am poor,but i am happy,i have healed many,at no cost,love is the key,mum and dad are careful who they give the key to,as the house would overflow,and all the fixtures and fittings carpets,would be dirty and ruined,and the children would misbehave,they would be cast aside,until they learned the rules of the house,the home,love cost nothing,unconditional of course,use the lessons mother and father teach,you will be rewarded well,not in money,amazonian,but in healing of mind body soul.peace and love.
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/23/2008 9:40 AM (#9654 - in reply to #9648)

PhD Alumni

I have been keeping out of this debate, but cannot forebear, with a few remarks just now -

- as to the thread title, it worries me slightly that wisdom's sometimes dangerous secrets have entered the hands of those who might misuse them especially in the martial arts (though also recognise that the disgorgement of traditionally 'secret' teachings is a necessary consequence of our current movement into the Kali Yuga)

- personally avoided Kill Bill partly for that reason and partly for its portrayal of the allure of violence

- as for distance learning, there are many kinds of learning and many kinds of learning styles, distance is one amongst many and necessary for some due to work schedules and cost, etc.

- certificates on walls - not sure what point is being made ... accreditation is necessary in some situations so that folk can know what our training, learning and validation - or not - consists of.

Edited by Paul Joseph 8/23/2008 10:08 AM
sunflower
Posted 8/23/2008 10:54 AM (#9658 - in reply to #9654)

Elite Veteran

nothing...............
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/23/2008 11:15 AM (#9664 - in reply to #9658)

PhD Alumni

Sorry again Sunflower for my being thick, but is that a Zen nothing ?
sunflower
Posted 8/23/2008 11:50 AM (#9678 - in reply to #9664)

Elite Veteran

yes its a zen,i think it very dangerous to do energy work unless properly trained,as it can cause much danger,i have to agree with muppet mr here,we will have to buy him a new door,and hope he stops practicing,i would hate to see him out of a home,when his castle is not yet ready.
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/23/2008 11:58 AM (#9684 - in reply to #9678)

PhD Alumni

Agreed, then ! x
sunflower
Posted 8/23/2008 12:01 PM (#9686 - in reply to #9684)

Elite Veteran

high five,must go,i am waiting for a visitor,and must be presentable,love and peace,x
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/23/2008 3:29 PM (#9690 - in reply to #9686)

PhD Alumni

Lucky visitor !
sunflower
Posted 8/24/2008 3:20 AM (#9699 - in reply to #9690)

Elite Veteran

haha!,the visitor was my son,and grandaughter,i was the lucky one,they give out so much love,and i love their heartfelt hugs,i can tell a lot from a hug,wether the person is genuine,it is warm and loving,you can feel it,some have what i call cold cuddles,empty cuddles,or hugs,i don,t spend time with them too much,if at all.This is why,on a computer screen,you don,t get that direct contact,but some of the essence of spirit shines through,i would love to meet all my friends here face to face,what a cuddleorathon that would be,love and light,irisx
sunflower
Posted 8/24/2008 6:23 AM (#9702 - in reply to #9690)

Elite Veteran

i forgot to add,they came to bring me a present,as it was my birthday on the 22nd,and they bought me a lovely crystal,clear quartz,and an amethyst,i love crystals,and i beleive,no,i know,they have great healing powers,a subject that is close to my heart since forever,to you and all my friends,i send a pink ouartz crystal,for love,and peace,may all your days be filled with light,love and peace my friend,big hugs,irisx
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/24/2008 10:22 AM (#9705 - in reply to #9702)

PhD Alumni

Ah Dearest Sunflower ! Then happy birthday to you, and every blessing, always x

Edited by Paul Joseph 8/24/2008 10:23 AM
Supernatural3
Posted 8/24/2008 11:24 AM (#9717 - in reply to #7855)

PhD Alumni

OK, I have to say something, in defense of students/graduates/teachers here at UMS.

If one thinks training and education, (distance or not) is worthless, then it's worthless to that person only, but to others, it's not worthless, because they cheerish what they learned. They accomplished something and are proud of that. Why would anyone (but the uneducated) think of that as bad?

We must remember that we are the forum of a distance education school. To knock on distance education is putting this very school down, saying it's worthless and I for one, will not tolerate this type of behavior.

I am not speaking as just a moderator here, I am speaking as a alumni graduate. I personally happen to love everything this school represents, teaches, gives, etc.  Lets show some respect. This forum is filled with UMS employee's, volunteers, learners, instructors, contributors, members, guests, and potential future students.

If you do not agree with distance education, then don't do it!  To make such harsh comments here, on our forum, (where mostly UMS students are trying to learn), is bashing them and they do not deserve that. 

I hope this is the end of comments made towards those who have schooled, and love their accomplishments. The bottom line is that distance education is not worthless to the learner, but worthless to the person who refuses to educate using this method. To each their own.

Tracy Martin
Posted 8/25/2008 3:54 AM (#9723 - in reply to #7855)

Alumni

Jill, what you wrote sounds fine to me. I am sorry if you were feeling defensive regarding Sunflower's opinions, I hope you are not feeling overly distressed.

Sunflower, I guess I don't really understand why you are so opposed to distance learning, not just for yourself, but for everyone. I don't really understand why you attack distance learning or our degrees or what other people want to do with their minds and time.

People choose what they want to do, and for most our program is greatly appreciated and cherished. We trust that Spirit will assist each individual in making a choice that is in the Highest interests for all, with us or not.  The time and availability for this kind of education is now, we have a great program, and there are many people interested in metaphysical topics.

All of this stuff passes. And my mind is drifting to other things. It's 1 AM and I am not sleepy!

I am thinking that there really is no confusion here for anyone who is passing by and reading through the posts.  All of our posts will be 'judged' by the perspectives that view them, and there is no way we can be perfect, but we can be as humane and respectful as we can with one another.

I guess anyone reading through these posts and threads can have a kind of cartoonish image of who each of us is, or who they want us to be in the drama. We are making this written journey together, with dates and times, illustrating our challenges and lack of challenges, our humor, artistry, our good days and bad. Each character is developed as one reads.

It is such an incredibly SMALL part of who each of us really is.

There is so much that we do not know about one another and so much that we cannot know.

We are constantly judging ourselves and others as bad or good, right or wrong, better or worse, mean or nice, smart or stupid.  We are always making judgments and having strong opinions about things, actions, events. Often what other people hear is "It's my way, my thoughts, my opinions my preferences that are the most important,  valid or correct, and if you don't agree..well, be wrong if you want to be!"

Not sure where that was going...

Jill, you are a Healer of Hearts on the Earth! A true lightworking warrioress!  

I am a little tipsy, had to take Ibuprofen 800. Had a long, lovely, challenging hiking day in the Redwood groves up past Orick, CA. These are magnificent Giants! It is so soothing to the mind to walk with them and touch them. Your heart seems to race up to the impossible heights as you look up. Seeing this you are transported into a true Cathedral of Spirit and Earth. What a beautiful silence!

We watched a herd of Elk for awhile. The Bull scraped his antlers in the dry grass, chased off the young bulls, herded his women together. He was quite attentive!

Afterward, we watched the Ocean roll in, listening to the surf pounding and crashing against rocks and shore.  Lay down to sink into sand and gravel and watch the herons skim the waves.

On the way to my son's for a late dinner, the sun set and there was orange fire in the sky and fire in the waters of Humboldt Bay. Streaks of orange, yellow,  and purple fire lit the horizon in layers of color.

Paul, you and your wife should visit the northern California Coast!

Tomorrow, we will go back to the Ocean. Back to the waves, the breeze, the relentless surf, drowning our thoughts in the great immensity of the Pacific. I really should go to sleep. Be good to each other. It's funny how I think of each of you at odd times. 'Night.

Paul Joseph
Posted 8/25/2008 6:57 AM (#9726 - in reply to #7855)

PhD Alumni

Sounds lovely Tracy ... hope you are feeling better ... but your time & break sound wonderful ...

I also prize the UMS studies above very much else I have done or do .... energy breathes in and out

and the light and dark of illusion is all part and parcel of the Work towards the Divine, which paradoxically, we already are, anyway, but perhaps have to unlearn, like peeling away the onion layers.

So long as we continue to be open to new possibility and wonder everything can inform that Work x
Supernatural3
Posted 8/25/2008 4:26 PM (#9735 - in reply to #7855)

PhD Alumni

I have found that nearly all my practice work, has been done on my own. With a phone tutor occasionally, or a book guiding me. My psychology and hypnotherapy (fully secular) classes were also distance education. I wrote many reports, with many sources, tests and learned a ton while passing with honors. It was seriously hard work too.  I also took college in real time that was a man's field. Electrical Engineering and passed that with honors. It was also hard as heck... I worked my butt off. So the certificates on my walls are full of meaning to me. It is very insulting to tell someone their work means nothing. YEP.... I stepped into that ring with the gloves on... ready to go. LOLOL whoops

Education as a whole, is soley based on what any learner puts into it.

If one thinks it is useless... then it will be useless to that individual, but it won't be useless to the person that worked hard and learned a lot.

I also feel that none of us are really alone. We have guides~ They will guide us our entire life. So....have at it.... and fly with the angels, even if it's in the mind.

Beautiful writings Tracy and Thank You for understanding where I was coming from. I do not mean to sound like I was in an uproar, I just feel that if we all waited for some leader to come and teach us personally, we would all be waiting forever. 

We all know patience is my biggest lesson.... I am getting better at it. I promise.

I do try so hard not to judge others, as we all do it, with out even recognizing it for the most part. I have wanted to go out and buy a T-shirt that say's "I see stupid people, and they don't even know they are stupid" (The 6th Sense spoof).  But then i couldn't wear it, with out insulting everyone, when it's supposed to be a joke. But it's how I feel a lot. I really do see people all over the place who act so dumb (i am not talking about anyone on this forum here, I am talking about people in stores, acting up, tantrums, fighters, etc.) Then I sit back and say to myself, "they just don't know any better".... then I think..... Shame! Then I just feel sorry for them. I guess it's another way of learning compassion and more patience.... there is that word again. LOL

mruppert
Posted 8/25/2008 11:02 PM (#9740 - in reply to #7855)

This has gone off on a tangent....very quickly.....distance learning can be as effective or ineffective as any other form of learning. All should know by now that it is the mission of the institution I work for....and we have graduates all over the world, some of whom have high levels of responsibilty in our (USA) sphere and the global sphere, that have obtained the knowledge and competencies that they have via distance learning. They put a piece of paper on their walls, and that piece of paper is (and should be) treasured and revered....as it is symbolic of academic achievement, that which others could not obtain, not for lack of trying. REIKI masters are as good as their talent....with nothing to do with their masters nor their training....it is the ability to channel energy..the gift...and without that the master and the paper do not matter. 

Back to my point....an unfortunate accident happened while "playing with" energy and martial arts. And, it has now been confirmed that it has cost me dearly. I believe this was because we had no teacher and no guidance...and acted like immature, stupid kids....and I am old enough to know better!

So, I do agree with Sundial in a way...it is okay to "play" at metaphysics and energy channeling, if you think it a game or a piece of paper that some how makes you or entitles you to something. But, if you take it seriously...internalize it..make it part of you..as it may well be part of you...then your greatest means of finding, fulfilling and manifesting your personal power is via learning with others, by whatever format that may take.

Peace and Love,

Marty and Las Gatas, Lucky, Poppy and Sissy

Rose
Posted 8/25/2008 11:22 PM (#9741 - in reply to #9551)

Student

This is funny Jill! I like your bumper sticker qoutes.

Love and Peace to you...
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/26/2008 8:31 AM (#9748 - in reply to #9735)

PhD Alumni

Whenever I feel the urge to say, 'I see stupid people', I have to remember to lay aside the mirror, then look again.
Louise
Posted 8/26/2008 5:09 PM (#9751 - in reply to #9748)

UMS Student

I think 'I see stupid people'is a great line - I'd love to wear it on a tee-shirt as it makes me chuckle and smile every time I think of it. I like to think of myself as stupid - so what's the opposite of stupid? I like to think I can be that too. We can't have one without the other - but that raises a debate about duality - you can't have light without dark, you can't know God unless you have been separated - I've been reading a bit of ACIM and it appears to do away with the theme of duality - which knocks on Neale-Donald Walsch's conversations with God. The idea being (I think) is that if you have light, you do away with darkness completely and the concept of opposites, and a harmonious balance in the middle, is a concept generated by the ego - and so perfect love, oneness, non duality IS - I can understand the concept, I'm just not in a place where I can experience it and therefore know through experience not my mind - I'm far more comfortable with duality at the moment and aim for a harmonious balance of my light and dark nature. Maybe if I contine with ACIM, this might change

So..for now, I see stupid people!
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/27/2008 4:12 AM (#9757 - in reply to #9751)

PhD Alumni

Not sure what ACIM is Louise ?

I often think of the line, 'the foolishness of God exceeds the wisdom of men'.

I'm not wholly sure that if everything is full of light there is no darkness; perhaps its the paradox of the world. According to some spiritual perspectives the world as it is is imperfect - but is it ? Equally the world may be just as it needs to be for our Work (the sacred work of the Self) to complete itself. Then again, does 'the world' exist beyond our interpretation of it ?

We may be in a dualistic world in order for us to learn non-duality. Which may all be the same thing anyway !!

(ps, whatever is the case, its nice of you to have come back, too !!)

Edited by Paul Joseph 8/27/2008 4:13 AM
Louise
Posted 8/27/2008 6:06 AM (#9758 - in reply to #9757)

UMS Student

sorry Paul - A Course In Miracles..

interesting quote about the foolishness of God - I'll cogitate. I think I can cope with the idea of perfectly imperfect..anything beyond that my brain starts to smoke )

Thanks for the welcome - I come and go in spurts - doing anything routine or regular is not my thing, I have to exercise my free will and withdraw and then return with full enthusiasm ) - but hey can't promise anything..
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/27/2008 7:50 AM (#9759 - in reply to #9758)

PhD Alumni

Ah thanks - should have known the ACIM - my foolishness ! ... that quote btw comes from St Paul in 1 Corinthians 3: 18/19 'If you think you are wise in this age, you should become fools so that you become wise. For the wisdom of of this world is foolishness with God'. Whilst I am not a huge fan of St Paul, he did come out with some good stuff ... ! Well I think so ...(eg also, 1 Corinthians 13)

And no worries about coming and going - no pressure !

Blessings