Florida Student Questions
Gypsee
Posted 7/14/2008 6:16 PM (#7202)
Subject: Florida Student Questions

New user

I would like to know if there are any Florida students attending UMS, and find any information about our possible usages of our degree in the State of Florida...I know there are different rules that govern what we can and cannot do with our degree..Any help would be such a blessing to me Love to all..Gypsee
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tracy Martin
Posted 7/14/2008 7:17 PM (#7204 - in reply to #7202)
Subject: RE: Florida Student Questions

Alumni

Hi Gypsee, Welcome! We do have many students in Florida, not sure if they are visitors to this Board. The StarlightJournal.com has a place for Regions in the forum area...but no one has visited there yet.

Florida is pretty tough about things (religious degrees that are not from traditional religions) and I have heard that there is a lot of difficulty to go through with the powers that be. You will need to contact the County Clerks there to see if the Ministerial Ordination from UMS would be accepted, and prepare to fight for your Religious Freedom rights! I am not positive about all this, just heard of some difficulties.

I hope that students from Florida connect with you.

NothingEverything
Posted 7/15/2008 9:15 AM (#7223 - in reply to #7202)

UMS Student

Im from Florida, but i havent been there for more than 1 month in seven years total.
Gypsee
Posted 7/20/2008 12:18 AM (#7455 - in reply to #7204)

New user

Tracy,

Thank you so much for responding..and yes, Florida is a spiritual challenge..I have lived here for a large portion of my life and have found so many closed doors in ministry..especially now since I have a wider viewpoint than just the Christian belief..(Open heart for all religions)...I am not truely sure this is the state for me to continue in, but that is not known to me yet..

I will check with the Clerk of Courts as you have advised..Although I probably won't get an acceptance, I am not here for an acceptance per say, and would love to take the degrees through your wonderful school anyway! I really sense the Creator will place me where I am needed at the right time..If it is to help spiritual progress in Florida, so be it..if it is elsewhere, I will be prepared

You actually confirmed about Florida alot of what I have sensed for along time, and it was nice to have that comfirmation in spirit..As of now, I give spiritual advice on Live Person as an expert...I make enough to take care of my bills and each month whatever my needs are be covered by this income..It is refreshing for me as I have been gifted spirtually since a near death experience in childhood and again in 1995...I found alot of closed doors from Florida churches early on as I wanted to share what was given to me so lovingly....Working independantly helping people I do not know from many different states and countries has really blessed me...It has also helped me move past the "box" that is placed on the Creator in these regions....

Thank you again, you have served a great help for me

Blessings to you and yours,

Gypsee
Christine Breese
Posted 9/12/2008 4:48 AM (#10181 - in reply to #7202)

UMS

Ha! I spent three years in Florida (Orlando) going to audio engineering school and film school, and a year in Key West. While Key West was pretty cool, no place in Fla seemed especially easy for the metaphysically minded peeps! However, loved the weather and the swimming pool!
Paul Joseph
Posted 9/12/2008 1:01 PM (#10187 - in reply to #10181)

PhD Alumni

Fresh water ponds and the sea are much more chilling than swimming pools ... but the sea in Florida can be rough with those big breakers coming all the way from across from over here, I found, & then there are the jelly fish man o' wars ... ! x

Edited by Paul Joseph 9/12/2008 1:02 PM
Lightdancer
Posted 9/26/2008 5:24 PM (#10454 - in reply to #7202)

Student

Hello Gypsee!

If you are still around, I wanted to let you know that you are not alone. I am in Florida as well (Orlando), and am just signed up for the classes yesterday. (YEA, I got off the fence!!!!) Unfortunately, being in the "bible belt" with a majority of traditionalists is going to make it tough, but we all love a challenge.

Please let us know what your experience is with the government entities. I for one would be very interested to hear what they have to say.

Edited by Lightdancer 9/26/2008 5:24 PM
Paul Joseph
Posted 9/26/2008 6:57 PM (#10457 - in reply to #10454)

PhD Alumni

Congratulations Lightdancer ... hope the studies go well ... ah Bible-bashers ... I work for the Methodist Church, hence in part, my Chapel Perilous location x

do shout out for any help or support with nasty entities & challenges
Lightdancer
Posted 9/26/2008 7:24 PM (#10458 - in reply to #7202)

Student

Interestingly enough, I just was poking around the internet and found this: "The Wiccan Religious Cooperative of Florida, Inc. is a nonprofit church, organized and incorporated under the laws of the State of Florida"! They are here in Orlando. So if Wiccans can qualify as a nonprofit church here and practice Wiccan ways, we should be able to be ordained and conceivably start a "Universal Church Of Metaphysics" (with the UCM's blessing only, of course!) and practice as we see fit as well. I'm only speaking theoretically here, as I certainly am not ready to entertain such an undertaking, but it's fun to think about!

I for one would like to be able to assemble with those of like mind, so who knows what might happen here. There are other organizations in the area, such as a Noetics group and others that advertise their group meetings on meetup.com. I don't know that much about Noetics, so haven't ventured out to check them out yet. Also, on Starlightjournal.com there is a forum for UMS students looking to get to know others in their area. http://www.starlightjournal.com/content/make-friends-and-connect-yo... . Harli, Jeffrey and I are the only ones that have posted there so far. Maybe others will join in soon!

Lightdancer
Posted 9/26/2008 7:33 PM (#10459 - in reply to #7202)

Student

Hi Paul! Yep! I finally did it. Now I have to get off the computer and study! How funny, my brother is a Methodist Minister and currently a Navy Chaplain out in California. What do you do for them?
Paul Joseph
Posted 9/27/2008 3:38 AM (#10460 - in reply to #10459)

PhD Alumni

I am director of social work for the West London Mission (www.wlm.org.uk) - professional social work for people who are homeless, experiencing addiction, or offenders.

I only became more involved with the Board after completing studies; don;t think I could have done everything at the same time, especially given my workload !

Blessings & Be well !

Paul
Paul Joseph
Posted 9/27/2008 9:40 AM (#10467 - in reply to #10459)

PhD Alumni

A funny thing happened to us when we were visiting Orlando years back.

Our suitcase was damaged in the flight, so we had to try to get a new one. We went to Kissimee, near Orlando, as we had a hired car, en route from the airport. I was driving, and had never driven in the US, so was jittery.

We had also heard worrying stories about street crime, tourists being mugged in their vehicles, etc.

So we got out of the car, tagging along with our two very small children and carrying a huge suitcase. Imagine the scene, wandering around the centre of town, worried about being mugged (quite unjustifiably, i am sure!), lugging around a huge suitcase, passports, money, etc all still on our persons from the flight ... yet not wanting to look conspicuously like the UK tourists we so obviously were.

We hauled ourselves into a cafe, and without really noticing (we were too absorbed in tension!) sat down next to a policeman. Our youngest son had always been fascinated by the police. So we started chatting. He was incredibly friendly and we found out he was captain of the local police. Quite impromptu, he invited us all back to the police station, and spent the whole afternoon giving us a guided tour. He was really most friendly, warm and wonderfully spontaneously open.

It was one of those acts of spontaneous gesture/random kindness moments. Please remember us to them there !

Edited by Paul Joseph 9/27/2008 9:43 AM
Lightdancer
Posted 9/27/2008 7:28 PM (#10478 - in reply to #7202)

Student

Hello Paul!

What a nice C.O.P. he was! Kissimmee is full of friendly people, and for the most part Orlando is too. It is a melting pot of peoples from all over the world, and quite an interesting place to be. It makes me think that there could be hope for the world, as we all get along together here. On one 3 mile stretch of road we have Lutheran, Catholic, Presbyterian, Hebrew and Islamic worshiping centers. We all shop together, eat together in restaurants, share the roads, and other things. It's very "live and let live" here. Now if we can add some UMS flavor to the spiritual mix, that would make it even more flavorful!
Paul Joseph
Posted 9/28/2008 3:26 PM (#10488 - in reply to #10478)

PhD Alumni

Ha - well, i was there before ums, so the astral plane would need to take me back in time; though my brother in law lives in Ft Lauderdale; so, if not astrally, then next time.

Happy Hebrew New Year until then:

Shanatova x
mruppert
Posted 9/28/2008 9:53 PM (#10498 - in reply to #7202)

Ya know, I remember driving through fLAH
mruppert
Posted 9/28/2008 9:57 PM (#10499 - in reply to #7202)

Bad memories of FLA...and my sister lives there, which is why I never see her.

Peace and Love,

Marty and non-Hemingway Cats, Luck, Popp and Sisssssssyyyyyyy

ravencrow
Posted 10/9/2008 3:00 PM (#10968 - in reply to #7202)

New user

Hello Everyone.
I am a new student and live in Orlando area in FL.
Sherry
Lightdancer
Posted 10/9/2008 7:29 PM (#10977 - in reply to #7202)

Student

Hi Sherry! I'm in Dr. Phillips! We are practically neighbors!
Lightdancer
Posted 10/9/2008 7:31 PM (#10978 - in reply to #7202)

Student

Send me a PM if you'd like to meet at Perkins for coffee some weekend!

Edited by Lightdancer 10/9/2008 7:32 PM
Absolute Sovereigncy
Posted 1/29/2009 11:33 PM (#13479 - in reply to #7202)

Student

You can probably incorporate as a nonprofit organization or church or maybe UMS has advice. I'm pretty sure that would work. You might be able to be a church under
the authority of Universal Church of Metaphysics.
Katrina
Posted 2/9/2009 2:56 PM (#13754 - in reply to #7202)

Student

I am from Florida (just recently moved to Georgia). There are many communities there that I am sure you will be able to find answers in. The one I grew up near (about 45 north of Orlando) is Cassadaga there is also another prominant area on the East coast near Cocoa Beach. I don't remember it being as strict as everyone here is indicating. Different areas have different rules, usually by county. Duval county was the most strict, making anyone in the 'psychic' profession be based in their 'red light' district. Volusia county is not strict at all. Seminole and Orange, I'm not to sure. Best bet is to pick up a Horizons magazine (http://www.horizonsmagazine.com) most metaphysical shops are listed in there and I'm sure the publisher would be able to direct you (her e-mail is on the site) or may even be able to answer your questions.

Best of luck!
K
Paul Joseph
Posted 2/9/2009 3:38 PM (#13756 - in reply to #13754)

PhD Alumni

Hello Katrina - FLA sounds quite active

the Seminole Native peoples were the last to hold out against the European encroachment were they not ?

I speak, as an ignorant Englishman